The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

23 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

He's basically another Tanev. Has good passing, better rushes than Tanev, good defensive iq and good gap control. I don't see how he's a fifth overall pick but I suppose if we can get scoring somehow this will look like a good pick.

I see good passing but he's missing the skating ability, physicality and hands to be seen as an elite defenseman.

I hope I'm underestimating him.

He's not a Taney he's more of a Roman josi. High iq. High skill and strong defensive game.  We should be thrilled about him. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Western Red said:

So are we talking  OEL? Salo? thats all I have atm for finnish lineage.

OEL is Swedish. Fins aren't known for their dmen, but that has been changing lately:

- Maataa

- Vatanen (my fav, but not like Juo)

-Ristolainen

-Jokipakka

Of Finnish dmen, Kimmo Timmonen might be the most comparable, though I don't think its that accurate.

25 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

He's basically another Tanev. Has good passing, better rushes than Tanev, good defensive iq and good gap control. I don't see how he's a fifth overall pick but I suppose if we can get scoring somehow this will look like a good pick.

I see good passing but he's missing the skating ability, physicality and hands to be seen as an elite defenseman.

I hope I'm underestimating him.

He's could be a Tanev but with offensive instincts/ great shot/ better first pass

3 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

It's likely that he'll be rushed into the lineup regardless of the camp he has. 

Likely not.  We already have 7-8 DMen on one-way contracts that also require waivers.  If he makes the team it'll be because he earned it.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Important to note that Juolevi just turned 18 about a month ago.

If he's almost 6'3" there's a good chance he'll end up being 6'3" and around 200 lbs. Good size for a guy that can move the puck so well.

He's about the same size as Hutton.... yet 5 years younger.

Columbus really made things worse for us. I expected Dubois to be gone before our pick, but because he went to Columbus, Pulujaarvi came into our division. That's not great, especially because he could be playing with McDavid, but we can't control that. 

I don't think I liked Tkachuk as much as most other people, but I still expected him to be our pick. I'm not upset because we didn't pick him, but more so because if he turns out, we will be playing against him for a long time. 

Juolevi looks like he could be a good one. If Benning believes he will be, then I'm willing to take his word for it. The one thing that really stands out is that he is a very intelligent, composed kid. His English is pretty good and he carries himself well. That is a very good thing. 

On the ice, he is very good at reading plays and making better ones, especially in transition with a great first pass. He has a good set hands for making a pass and a good stick defensively. I would like to see him improve his skating, but it's not bad. At the next level though that's what would really separate him from the rest, especially if he improves his lateral movement to walk the blue line efficiently. 

Moving forward, hopefully he can produce some more points and refine his offensive game, especially because it looks like he will be playing with either Gudbranson or Tanev in the future. I think the only hole we had on our defense was a top-pairing left handed defensman, and this pick tells me that Benning thinks either Juolevi or Hutton can be that player. I see Juolevi being a not quite as impactful Kieth for us if he does improve his skating. He would be our missing piece and exactly what we need. 

Juolevi - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson 

Tryamkin - Subban

I really like Juolevi's game, he seems very composed and poised for his age. The way how he's able to control plays with simple defensive plays with such calmness and ease. His passing skills is just amazing, how he's able to set up plays just by that outlet pass from the zone makes a huge difference when on the transition. 

He's everything you want in a defensemen. Reliable, All situations, Speed, IQ, Size, and Active stick. Just amazed on how fluid he plays the game from the back end. Pretty damn excited to see Juolevi play now this season.

7 minutes ago, austy said:

Where do you guys see him playing next year? Ahl, Finland? What's bett for his development do you think?

I think it'll all depend on how he does at training camp. If he looks ready to play in the pros, I'm sure the Canucks will place him either on their roster or in the AHL. If he looks like he needs another year of Junior, I'm sure he'll return to the London Knights. But I don't think he'll return to Finland, he made the move over to NA for a reason and I don't see him going back to Finland anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah I'd imagine one more year in London then one in Utica realistically. 

I think we're going to see another Hutton situation.  As JB said post-draft, he won't look out of place because of his high hockey IQ and like Ben he moves the puck quickly and can get himself out of situations.  He's about the same size as Ben and already put on 9lbs in the last half of the season. 

Who knows for sure how he'll look or if he'll earn a spot at camp, but I think he is probably only a year away, whether that's in London or the AHL -- both of which are great developmental places for him. That gives us a year to work on integrating Tryamkin, Larsen, and Pedan.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Don't see Juolevi ceiling as high as the other two defenders. Plays a similar style as Hamhuis, which isn't terrible, but I would've picked Chychrun or Sergachev over Juolevi.

Jack of all trades rather than a elite for one purpose.

Probably the safest bet of the dmen.

Edited by Webster6

I really like this pick. Welcome Juolevi!!! Benning once again you impressed me. Ideally he goes back to Junior. NO need to rush this kid. 

However I'd like to see Juolevi get 5-7 games in the  NHL then send him to the AHL for a month or so,then send him to world juniors at christmas.After he comes back have him finish out the year in London! Is that possible? If so id like to see it happen