The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

Remember what people said last year? We could have had Konecky.

How many people are still saying this besides Desiboy?

This is why I put so little faith in what people say on these boards in terms of who we "should" draft. What's even the point of being upset when it's still a lottery in the end? Sure. Calgary gets Tkachuk. I said earlier in this thread that Edmonton has had how many good forwards for the past few years?

I'll believe Calgary's offense when I see it. Already, I think we're looking to have a better defence than both Edmonton and Calgary for years to come. I think we can handle what comes out way. ;)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

It's funny how JB gives zero faks what other people have to say. Took Virtanen and people hated. Took Boeser and some said he reached lmao. Keeps trading 2nds. Passed on Tkachuk for the Juolevi. Tampered lol. 

Dude's still not fazed. Has a vision and he's building the team his way. Hopefully it works!

+1

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

It's funny how JB gives zero faks what other people have to say. Took Virtanen and people hated. Took Boeser and some said he reached lmao. Keeps trading 2nds. Passed on Tkachuk for the Juolevi. Tampered lol. 

Dude's still not fazed. Has a vision and he's building the team his way. Hopefully it works!

Although some of his moves are very very very questionable and look borderline horrible. You do have to give him props for sticking to what he believes in. IDK if it works at the end... but if it does then he deserves all the credit and many fans including me will eat crow.

• Upvote 1

When the pick was made I liked it. The more I think about it, I love the pick. 

How many threads, proposals, and discussion that we need a PMD defensemen???

Well we got one. With he Gudbranson trade we also got a big, fast RHD that can play a ton of minutes.

If we can can stop shots, and break up plays, and nullify the opponents offence. And hold the line and get shots from the point.

That's where our offence will come from. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Grape said:

Although some of his moves are very very very questionable and look borderline horrible. You do have to give him props for sticking to what he believes in. IDK if it works at the end... but if it does then he deserves all the credit and many fans including me will eat crow.

Considering the fickle Benning was left with when he took over, I'd say Benning's been great for us. I've actually liked most of his moves, but I also don't believe value-for-value of each trade should matter either so long as you get what you want. If you focus solely on getting value-for-value, you'd likely go crazy looking at some of Benning's moves, yet they make sense really.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya but Gillis was handed a stacked team playing at its peak, look what Benning was dealt. And really its his 3rd draft not his third year. Talk that crap after Benning's 5th season under his belt. Your not even correct only giving him 1 good trade.

oh ok so give me another trade that he won

Shinkaruk for Granlund , for salary cap reasons alone we lost the trade. Granlund has nowhere close the ceiling of Shinkaruk has, and he pretty much has to be pencilled in to be in the lineup or else hes in the waiver wire. Shinkaruk is ineligible to get on waivers for 2 years. If he sucks this training camp, oh well, hes got another chance next year

Linden Vey for a 2nd- we lost this one big time. Linden Vey couldve been lost with no compensation this year and is slim footing to be on the roster next year because of his psycho dad. 2nd round draft pick for a guy that went to waivers the year after, sorry, it was a stupid trade by a stupid GM

Kassian for a 5th and Prust - I absolutely despise Zack Kassian, he is absolute garbage...BUT to trade him for Prust who didn't even last a season..and to throw a 5th round pick to boot to get him out of town. Its trading garbage for garbage, but us giving up another asset.

Clendenning for Forsing - Clendenning has bounced around for a few teams already in a span of a year, while forsling got signed by the blackhawks

Brandon Sutter for a pick, clendenning and bonino - Bonino should've been the Conn smythe winner. Doesn't matter if Brandon Sutter scores 100 goals next year. Bonino and the Pens won a cup. Mission accomplished. Its like comparing Joe Niewendyk and Jarome Iginla trade. Iginla is the much better player, but when its all said and done, Niewendyk won a cup for the stars, anything else Iginla did for the Flames is irrelevant

Please enlighten me with your vast hockey knowledge. Gillis was handed a stacked team? The team missed the playoffs the year before and all off a sudden they were stacked? Where was Henrik and Daniel's Art Ross, Hart, Lester B Pearson trophies and Ryan Keslers Selke during the Dave Nonis Era? Sorry, but Erhoff played a big part on getting the offence going, and Lapierre and Higgins, and the signing of Raffi Torres basically propelled us to the Stanley cup final. Go get your Matthews jersey signed, loser

Only thing that pisses me off is Edmonton getting Puljujarvi.

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This is why I put so little faith in what people say on these boards in terms of who we "should" draft. What's even the point of being upset when it's still a lottery in the end? Sure. Calgary gets Tkachuk. I said earlier in this thread that Edmonton has had how many good forwards for the past few years?

I'll believe Calgary's offense when I see it. Already, I think we're looking to have a better defence than both Edmonton and Calgary for years to come. I think we can handle what comes out way. ;)

It's different now, Edmonton has McDavid and they have new management. 

I could see them trading Eberle or Hall for a d-man.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi

-RNH-Eberle

-Caggiula-Yakupov

Nurse-Subban?

Klefbom

Reinhart

Their future looks pretty good....

I'm happy with the Juolevi pick though.

Does he have #1 potential, or is he going to be more of a #2 guy in his prime?

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

When the pick was made I liked it. The more I think about it, I love the pick. 

How many threads, proposals, and discussion that we need a PMD defensemen???

Well we got one. And we got a big, fast RHD that can play a ton of minutes.

If we can can stop shots, and break up plays, and nullify the opponents offence. And hold the line and get shots from the point.

That's where our offence will come from. 

LHD. I wish he was RHD.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I knew I should have elaborated that. The McCann for Gudbranson trade. 

So we have a PMD LHD, and a Big, eats tons of minutes RHD with some offensive upside. 

Sorry, it's late and I am really buzzed.

40 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

oh ok so give me another trade that he won

Shinkaruk for Granlund , for salary cap reasons alone we lost the trade. Granlund has nowhere close the ceiling of Shinkaruk has, and he pretty much has to be pencilled in to be in the lineup or else hes in the waiver wire. Shinkaruk is ineligible to get on waivers for 2 years. If he sucks this training camp, oh well, hes got another chance next year

Linden Vey for a 2nd- we lost this one big time. Linden Vey couldve been lost with no compensation this year and is slim footing to be on the roster next year because of his psycho dad. 2nd round draft pick for a guy that went to waivers the year after, sorry, it was a stupid trade by a stupid GM

Kassian for a 5th and Prust - I absolutely despise Zack Kassian, he is absolute garbage...BUT to trade him for Prust who didn't even last a season..and to throw a 5th round pick to boot to get him out of town. Its trading garbage for garbage, but us giving up another asset.

Clendenning for Forsing - Clendenning has bounced around for a few teams already in a span of a year, while forsling got signed by the blackhawks

Brandon Sutter for a pick, clendenning and bonino - Bonino should've been the Conn smythe winner. Doesn't matter if Brandon Sutter scores 100 goals next year. Bonino and the Pens won a cup. Mission accomplished. Its like comparing Joe Niewendyk and Jarome Iginla trade. Iginla is the much better player, but when its all said and done, Niewendyk won a cup for the stars, anything else Iginla did for the Flames is irrelevant

Please enlighten me with your vast hockey knowledge. Gillis was handed a stacked team? The team missed the playoffs the year before and all off a sudden they were stacked? Where was Henrik and Daniel's Art Ross, Hart, Lester B Pearson trophies and Ryan Keslers Selke during the Dave Nonis Era? Sorry, but Erhoff played a big part on getting the offence going, and Lapierre and Higgins, and the signing of Raffi Torres basically propelled us to the Stanley cup final. Go get your Matthews jersey signed, loser

There is so much wrong with this statement.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm not sure what to think of this pick right now. Going to wait till I see him play this year (hopefully in a Comets jersey).

Think that's a nice bonus for him to play in the AHL next year. Fact that he can come in and out of the Canucks lineup into big time minutes in the AHL, not to mention playing with other skilled defenders like Subban or Stecher... Seems pretty good.

Course that does burn a year of contract, so maybe we just want him in Juniors and let him steep for a bit.

This guy got compared to Olli Maatta which is fair in many regards but he's too new to be compared to him since he's going to get better still. Olli Maatta and Juolevi both seem like they could become a comparable player to Cam Fowler. Great skating, reliable and good offensively. Maybe not the elite in anything specific...

I trust Benning's scouting. If I recall correctly, a few months ago Benning said that if all things were equal and there was a #1 forward position and #1 defenseman available to draft, he would go with the defenseman. BUT, at that time he didn't believe there were any #1 defenseman available in this draft, which led many of of us to believe he would go for the #1 forward position in Dubois or Tkachuk.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, after the CHL Playoffs and Memorial Cup, and Benning said he had a defenseman in his top 6 draft list, and believed that there may be a #1 defenseman after all. 

Scouting consensus is that Tkachuk will likely be a #1 LW, but despite that Benning picked Juolevi instead. I can only assume that Benning believes that Juolevi has the potential to one day be a #1 defenseman. 

Benning made an excellent pick. He got the consensus best defenseman, who many consider to have the highest floor, and who he may consider to have the greatest potential to reach that high #1D ceiling.

9 hours ago, wshdrvvn said:

Probably passed up on goal

scoring in Tkachuk but Juolevi has a chance to be a #1 here

I'm of the opinion guys like The Sedins Tkachuk score more goals because they have guys like Ehrhoff Juolevi on their team?

I did a little jig when I heard the news, broke into rhythm and uncontrolled state of sway...  :wub: 

30075yu908.gif

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Only thing that pisses me off is Edmonton getting Puljujarvi.

It's different now, Edmonton has McDavid and they have new management. 

I could see them trading Eberle or Hall for a d-man.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Puljujarvi

-RNH-Eberle

-Caggiula-Yakupov

Nurse-Subban?

Klefbom

Reinhart

Their future looks pretty good....

I'm happy with the Juolevi pick though.

Does he have #1 potential, or is he going to be more of a #2 guy in his prime?

Unless I've missed a trade you've left out Hall....

Holy crap that's scary. How are the Oilers going to pay up for all these guys when they each score 40 goals/ 80 assists in 8 years?