The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I have a couple of friends who are knights fans. They said that tkachuk numbers were likely inflated by marner and dvorak while juolevi showed more of a complete game and some signs of being a future 1-3 D really depending on how we develop him. JI'm is a great scut we all need to remember this. If he picked juolevi then he knows we got something special. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Finland also had a very dynamic top line and he was more than a point per game with them.

Can work both ways depending of what your coach wants from you to help the team the most.

Dale Hunter being a dman himself probably wanted the really young Finn to be very strong positionally before thinking about offense.

Dale Hunter was never a dman.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

I have a couple of friends who are knights fans. They said that tkachuk numbers were likely inflated by marner and dvorak while juolevi showed more of a complete game and some signs of being a future 1-3 D really depending on how we develop him. JI'm is a great scut we all need to remember this. If he picked juolevi then he knows we got something special. 

For some reason I never got excited about the possibility of drafting Tkachuk, maybe because up till now is was always between him and PLD who I was higher on. Tkachuk will no doubt be a good player and I would have been happy to have him but nobody can doubt his stats were inflated. I dont think we will see Juolevi for a couple of seasons so it's really going to suck watching him rack up points in Calgary, his stats will get inflated again playing with Gaudreau and Monahan. I just really hope Juolevi becomes a top 2 defenseman to make up for the inevitable whining that will ensue shortly.

Edited by JC2

1 hour ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

I think there is a fair bit wrong with his whole post to be honest.

I have stated many times over that I will hold any judgement on Benning until the beginning of the 17/18 season.

If you look back at the roster assembled when Benning started , it was fully of contracts that were highly restrictive, the prospect pool was pretty shallow, some of the core players were starting to get on the wrong side of thirty and he was hard up against the cap ceiling. Through some unpleasant trades and necessary signings he has managed to get younger and stock the prospect pool to a level you can actually swim in.

I reserve my judgement for another 15 months as by that time the team will be the one he wanted to assemble, and has worked bloody hard to do so. The restrictive contracts will be gone, he will only be carrying the Sedins and Edlers "legacy" contracts (which i think are actually very good), should have plenty of cap to work with after Burrows, Miller and Higgins contracts have expired.

If the team set up for that year does not perform then its on Benning and I will express my thoughts, but until that time I am enjoying the ride. 

I am hoping for a team that makes hockey fun to watch again, this transition on ice has been disappointing, but I like the process to get to where the team needs to be.

You're a beauty + 1

One of our needs was to fill the void on D in Utica for call-ups. It appears he will meet that need. Can't know for sure, but it feels like 95% chance he starts in Utica next year, and might get a call. We should draft ALL D this year. They are more valuable than forwards, and hard to trade for.

Seriously, what is Edmonton going to do...? (Trade Hall, Yakupov, RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle for Shea Weber)?? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I think we're going to see another Hutton situation.  As JB said post-draft, he won't look out of place because of his high hockey IQ and like Ben he moves the puck quickly and can get himself out of situations.  He's about the same size as Ben and already put on 9lbs in the last half of the season. 

Who knows for sure how he'll look or if he'll earn a spot at camp, but I think he is probably only a year away, whether that's in London or the AHL -- both of which are great developmental places for him. That gives us a year to work on integrating Tryamkin, Larsen, and Pedan.

Yeah I'd still be pretty surprised to see him on the Canucks this year. But who knows, they could send him to Utica, he gets a call up part way through the year and never looks back.

He's certainly got the skill/brains to do it. It will all depend on how fat he adapts to the game speed. 

2 hours ago, gizmo2337 said:

One of our needs was to fill the void on D in Utica for call-ups. It appears he will meet that need. Can't know for sure, but it feels like 95% chance he starts in Utica next year, and might get a call. We should draft ALL D this year. They are more valuable than forwards, and hard to trade for.

Seriously, what is Edmonton going to do...? (Trade Hall, Yakupov, RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle for Shea Weber)?? 

Don't think he can play in the ahl next year.... NHL or Ohl I believe?

1 minute ago, BananaMash said:

As he was on loan to London from his Finnish club he is AHL eligible.

Ahhhhhh.... I'm guessing that's been covered in this thread already so my apologies for ignorance :D

I would almost be tempted to leave him in London...they seem to do a very good job of developing pro players. 

• b3. pinned this topic
6 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I doubt it's why they went Juolevi over Tkachuk, but it's definitely not a bad thing!

Agreed, they didn't pass on Tkachuk, they instead wanted Olli. It's very likely he's heading to Utica next year, and that fits another one of our needs: a D in the AHL that we can call up for the next four years without having to clear waivers. He's landing in good hands with Travis, so it's an added bonus. I'm not going to leap and say he will play in the NHL, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a call up before next season ends.

16 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

Ahhhhhh.... I'm guessing that's been covered in this thread already so my apologies for ignorance :D

I would almost be tempted to leave him in London...they seem to do a very good job of developing pro players. 

Yeah, I think I'd agree. I mean, I'd like to see his training camp first, but it wouldn't be a bad thing if they think he needs to go back to junior. London seems to be cranking out high talent players like crazy.

When I watch Olli play, I'm in awe of how cerebral he is. Decision making is exceptional, his first pass is incredible, and his skating is elite.

when I was growing up, watching Lidstrom play in Detroit was a treat. Never again will there be a player like the Perfect Human, but Olli shows me shades of things that I used to love about Nick.

Welcome to Vancouver, I hope you have a long successful career with the Canucks.

6 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Pretty pumped about this pick, not gonna lie. Can anybody remember the last time a draft eligible defensemen dominated the world juniors like he did this past winter? I keep thinking back and i can't think of any that even come close

Maybe Ryan Ellis? could be totally wrong tho