The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Juolevi had a solid year in the OHL. Is he eligible for Utica next season? 

Unfortunately no its NHL or juniors again unless he and the team decides they'd rather him play in Europe

8 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

I wish I didn't agree with my opinion either. Id like nothing more than to say that OJ is a surefire top pairing D-man. I don't think anyone will know either way for at least 3 years though

Exactly, it hasn't even been one year since he was drafted. You can't judge a pick so quickly, especially when he's a defensemen who's had an up and down year. His world juniors was disappointing due to coaching and in London he's been asked to play more defensively then the year before. Yet he still produced better numbers then last year in London and thats without guys like Tkatchuk and Marner. Joulevi will be a big part of our future core and he has all the tools to be a top pairing D. I doubt he goes back to London next year as people say he's bored there and I don't think it will help his development. If he puts on a little extra weight this summer I bet he's a steady fixture in our lineup. Especially since its more then likely that at least one maybe two of our D will be traded this summer/exposed.My guess is that 2 of our current LD are gone next year. Hutton or Edler or Sbisa making room for Juolevi and Tryamkin on that side. assume Edler doesn't waive and this is what i see as our D corp next year on a rebuilding team.

Edler-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tanev

Thats a pretty solid D.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, manroth19 said:

Facts also prove he's a year older and was NHL ready. Facts also prove forwards make the NHL and make an impact earlier then defencemen. 

He's NHL ready and made a difference in his first season. We're arguing the same thing here. OJ is not NHL ready. Oj will get there but he's not there yet. I don't buy the year older thing because Tkatchuk is what ? 6 months older. They both played the same # of years in London

5 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

He's NHL ready and made a difference in his first season. We're arguing the same thing here. OJ is not NHL ready. Oj will get there but he's not there yet. I don't buy the year older thing because Tkatchuk is what ? 6 months older. They both played the same # of years in London

Dude. I said I like tkachuk as a player and yeah the year difference is huge at that age. Not even so much physically but playing one more year of high level junior for your development. Same years in London but played in the us development league u18 u17. Whatever dude I don't really care about MT I hope he busts. Hate the lames

Edited by manroth19

58 minutes ago, BlackBeard said:

How come lumme or lock is not calling you out and whining about your assumptions that OJ will become an "elite number one stud," and more valuable player of than tkathuk despite OJ not even finishing a single NHL game.

oh thats right you're telling them what they want to hear

If you're talking about me, for one thing I don't whine, blackheart. And I don't call out alf because I have him on ignore. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't call any Canucks fan out for expressing an enthusiastic opinion about one of our prospect's future potential. You see, this is a fan website, for the use of Canucks fans. I call out jerks who express obnoxiously negative opinions here about Canucks for the purpose of trolling Canucks fans. Like claiming some Canuck prospect who is barely old enough to shave will never get better and is already a bust.

It's true that I don't really disagree with what alf said. But I don't really see things quite as black and white and simple as you might. OJ, for instance I see as 30% chance of becoming a #1 D, 30% chance of becoming a #2 D, 30% chance of 2nd pairing, and 10% chance of not even becoming 2nd pairing quality.

I'm fully team OJ and I think he was a great pick, but just as we don't like when people were so eager to point out his PPG not improving, or saying he regressed I don't think it's fair to then turn around and point the fingers back now that he's doing well. Just one comment is all it took to turn this back into Juolevi vs. Tkachuk thread. Both are great prospects, and I can't wait to show what Juolevi has to bring to the team once he's here because the boy can play.

Edited by BI3KSALLENT
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, manroth19 said:

Dude. I said I like tkachuk as a player and yeah the year difference is huge at that age. Not even so much physically but playing one more year of high level junior for your development. Same years in London but played in the us development league u18 u17. Whatever dude I don't really care about MT I hope he busts. Hate the lames

I'm with you here.

I don't think the age thing is huge. It comes down to skill. A.Matthews is a year older too (technically) but I still think his numbers would be impressive had he been drafted in '15

OJ will be a good player for us. All the other stuff is just talking points really.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Exactly, it hasn't even been one year since he was drafted. You can't judge a pick so quickly, especially when he's a defensemen who's had an up and down year. His world juniors was disappointing due to coaching and in London he's been asked to play more defensively then the year before. Yet he still produced better numbers then last year in London and thats without guys like Tkatchuk and Marner. Joulevi will be a big part of our future core and he has all the tools to be a top pairing D. I doubt he goes back to London next year as people say he's bored there and I don't think it will help his development. If he puts on a little extra weight this summer I bet he's a steady fixture in our lineup. Especially since its more then likely that at least one maybe two of our D will be traded this summer/exposed.My guess is that 2 of our current LD are gone next year. Hutton or Edler or Sbisa making room for Juolevi and Tryamkin on that side. assume Edler doesn't waive and this is what i see as our D corp next year on a rebuilding team.

Edler-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tanev

Thats a pretty solid D.

I think Edler has to be the one to go. Hutton is way too young still to trade away unless the return is too good to pass up. I doubt Benning would get equal value in a trade for Sbisa and he's 4 years younger than Eds so I definitely lean toward trading Edler in any capacity even if its lesser value. Saves the team on cap space too

OJ should be in the lineup next year as long as Benning can deal Edler

Here's how I foresee the d next year

Sbisa  Tanev

Hutton  Guddy

Tee-amkin  Stetcher

OJ

yeah. i'm not sure why everyone is comparing MT to OJ. 

doesn't ever seem like the fans in this city are ever happy with the prospects we've accumulated. 

OJ's going to be an excellent player for us down the road. Defensemen are always worth more than forwards. 

If OJ tops to a top 2 dman, that's worth a lot in the league. 

I can't wait, as some here have said, on how OJ is going to perform at camp. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

I think Edler has to be the one to go. Hutton is way too young still to trade away unless the return is too good to pass up. I doubt Benning would get equal value in a trade for Sbisa and he's 4 years younger than Eds so I definitely lean toward trading Edler in any capacity even if its lesser value. Saves the team on cap space too

Sbisa  Tanev

Hutton  Guddy

Tee-amkin  Stetcher

OJ

Edler has said time and time again that he's not waiving his no-trade clause. 

It's a moot point. The guy wants to stay here, he can be a good mentor to some of the younger players. 

Tanev is more likely to be leaving, and I think we can get a good piece in return for him. If not, then best to hang on to him. 

6 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Sbisa  Tanev

Hutton  Guddy

Tee-amkin  Stetcher

OJ

I agree that Edler is the preferable guy to trade but his NTC makes it complicated. If he was to waive then perfect but if he doesn't I can definitely see Benning trading one of or both Hutton and Sbisa. For the right return Hutton is worth trading. A young talented top 6 forward is what would be required but we'll see.

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Edler has said time and time again that he's not waiving his no-trade clause. 

It's a moot point. The guy wants to stay here, he can be a good mentor to some of the younger players. 

Tanev is more likely to be leaving, and I think we can get a good piece in return for him. If not, then best to hang on to him. 

You're probably right on Edler but trading Tanev leaves a huge hole on the right side. If Edler wont waive then MGMT will have to move Sbisa. The only reason not to trade a defenseman is if they think OJ isn't ready to play in the NHL

14 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

The only reason not to trade a defenseman is if they think OJ isn't ready to play in the NHL

Expansion draft is the reason they should move a d-man. Have to see what the market thinks 

Edited by coryberg