The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

You're probably right on Edler but trading Tanev leaves a huge hole on the right side. If Edler wont waive then MGMT will have to move Sbisa. The only reason not to trade a defenseman is if they think OJ isn't ready to play in the NHL

You forget about the expansion draft. One of Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Guddy will be gone next year because we can't protect all 4. I think Edler, Tanev and Sbisa are all traceable but doubt Edler waives. Also think Sbisa would be the better one to move currently of those four and then id also move Hutton to make a little more room. Don't forget that we may get a chance at unsigned players like Raddysh which may allow us to trade without worries at all. especially for a team in the middle of a rebuild.

10 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree that Edler is the preferable guy to trade but his NTC makes it complicated. If he was to waive then perfect but if he doesn't I can definitely see Benning trading one of or both Hutton and Sbisa. For the right return Hutton is worth trading. A young talented top 6 forward is what would be required but we'll see.

I would trade Hutton on the basis of getting a bona fide #2 center in return only. But yeah I hear what your sayin' with regards to Eds. I think a lot depends on the draft lottery too. If we get the #1 then we draft Patrick and alls good. If not then move Sbisa + our 1st pick for a young top center... say Reinhart + 2-3 rounder.

2 hours ago, manroth19 said:

Facts also prove he's a year older and was NHL ready. Facts also prove forwards make the NHL and make an impact earlier then defencemen. 

What about the argument we all use when talking about power forwards who apparently need more time to develope. 

This kid seems to be playing the power forward role pretty damn good as a rookie. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

You forget about the expansion draft. One of Edler, Tanev, Sbisa, Guddy will be gone next year because we can't protect all 4. I think Edler, Tanev and Sbisa are all traceable but doubt Edler waives. Also think Sbisa would be the better one to move currently of those four and then id also move Hutton to make a little more room. Don't forget that we may get a chance at unsigned players like Raddysh which may allow us to trade without worries at all. especially for a team in the middle of a rebuild.

Can they even expose Edler? if so they should. I doubt Vegas would pick him. He's over paid and he's over 30. Moving Hutton is way too risky unless the return is so silly that they have no choice. Hutton is on the cusp of becoming a very good defenseman maybe even a #1 pairing

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I agree that Edler is the preferable guy to trade but his NTC makes it complicated. If he was to waive then perfect but if he doesn't I can definitely see Benning trading one of or both Hutton and Sbisa. For the right return Hutton is worth trading. A young talented top 6 forward is what would be required but we'll see.

I cant see JB trading Hutton away honestly but hey stranger things have happened.

42 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Benning could say to Edler " Look, we can trade you to a team of your choice or we can expose you to Vegas..." I have serious doubts Vegas would pick Edler in the ex draft but he doesn't know that and that may be enough to get him to waive. The Canucks need a youth movement in the worst way and Edler is on the downside of his career. By the time the Canucks are good again he'll be 33 or 34. The writings on the wall for the love of Pete

13 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Benning could say to Edler " Look, we can trade you to a team of your choice or we can expose you to Vegas..." I have serious doubts Vegas would pick Edler in the ex draft but he doesn't know that and that may be enough to get him to waive. The Canucks need a youth movement in the worst way and Edler is on the downside of his career. By the time the Canucks are good again he'll be 33 or 34. The writings on the wall for the love of Pete

Edler is not worth exposing. he is a number 2-3 defenseman on any team and provides good leadership for the Canucks. I would trade him if he'd waive but I wouldn't lose him for nothing. Hutton has the potential to be a very good D in this league but he's no guarantee. Also we have many LDs in the lineup and coming up that need to be able to show their value. Tryamkin is a LD playing RD. Juolevi in my mind will be on our team next year. Then you have LDs like Pedan, McEneny, Brisebois etc coming up that will be pushing for NHL spots so we have plenty of LD depth. Like I said, if Edler won't waive then this lineup might be best for next year. Trade Sbisa and Hutton for offensive help.

Edler-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tanev

52 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Edler has said time and time again that he's not waiving his no-trade clause. 

It's a moot point. The guy wants to stay here, he can be a good mentor to some of the younger players. 

Tanev is more likely to be leaving, and I think we can get a good piece in return for him. If not, then best to hang on to him. 

I am an Edler fan. When it comes to trading I think both he and Tanev should be considered. if were going to maximise on assets, especially with Tanev now would be the time. Edler said no to A trade once with Gillis literally a month after his NTC kicked in. Asked when Garrison was s traded, he said if the Canucks approached him he would waive as well if it meant going to a team that wanted him. He said he understands now not to take thing so personally. He was just upset because Gillis asked him so soon to it kicking in and he had for the first time in his career the choice of where he wanted to play.  IM sure and no I have no source just guessing. JB had had A talk with all our guys with ntc and doubt he has faced any backlash. These players are human fisrt, players second. would you stay with a company if another company wanted you and the one you were currently at didn't. Especially when the Canucks are shifting gears and The older guys, especially on D, are being replaced with younger guys 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Wanna tell me why the knights would pass on Edler and take who Gaunce? Most teams would love to have Edler. Our pathetic fanbase enjoys picking on a different player every year. Ask fans from other teams most say Edler is one of the few Canucks they wouldn't mind having. Fans that know if you played Edler a little less and gave him top 4 minutes the guy would excel If he is here next season. I hope the new coach does just that. ps I d0ont mean all of our fans are pathetic. Just most lol

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Wanna tell me why the knights would pass on Edler and take who Gaunce? Most teams would love to have Edler. Our pathetic fanbase enjoys picking on a different player every year. Ask fans from other teams most say Edler is one of the few Canucks they wouldn't mind having. Fans that know if you played Edler a little less and gave him top 4 minutes the guy would excel If he is here next season. I hope the new coach does just that. ps I d0ont mean all of our fans are pathetic. Just most lol

I don't necessarily want expose Eds but rather use that as a motivation to have him waive. Its a crappy sentiment I know but lets face facts...Edler's best days are behind him. I'm not sure why Vegas would want to pay an error prone defenseman who has no offense and a history of back ailments 5 mill to play in their 2nd pairing. But hey that's just me. I did say if he refuses to waive then expose Sbisa. This MGMT team has to keep an eye on the future. Edler's future is right now. What is he...31 going on 32?

Edited by two drink minimum

18 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I am an Edler fan. When it comes to trading I think both he and Tanev should be considered. if were going to maximise on assets, especially with Tanev now would be the time. Edler said no to A trade once with Gillis literally a month after his NTC kicked in. Asked when Garrison was s traded, he said if the Canucks approached him he would waive as well if it meant going to a team that wanted him. He said he understands now not to take thing so personally. He was just upset because Gillis asked him so soon to it kicking in and he had for the first time in his career the choice of where he wanted to play.  IM sure and no I have no source just guessing. JB had had A talk with all our guys with ntc and doubt he has faced any backlash. These players are human fisrt, players second. would you stay with a company if another company wanted you and the one you were currently at didn't. Especially when the Canucks are shifting gears and The older guys, especially on D, are being replaced with younger guys 

Trading Tanev would just create a hole on the right side. Unless Benning can get a bona fide #1 or 2 center they cant trade Tanev, not to mention he's 27 years old. That leaves Edler as their best trade chip.

4 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

I don't necessarily want expose Eds but rather use that as a motivation to have him waive. Its a crappy sentiment I know but lets face facts...Edler's best days are behind him. I'm not sure why Vegas would want to pay an error prone defenseman who has no offense and a history of back ailments 5 mill to play in their 2nd pairing. But hey that's just me. I did say if he refuses to waive then expose Sbisa. This MGMT team has to keep an eye on the future. Edler's future is right now. What is he...31 going on 32?

The thing is WE may see Edler as error prone. Only because we see him night in and night out. He is also playing way too many minutes and would do better not be relied on so much. If we were to watch every king's game or preds game we would see Doughty and Subban with their fair share of mistakes. The bottom line is He is still a top 4 d on any team and when he was hurt last year the Canucks went through there worst stretch of hockey all season. I am on board with trading him, only because we have a logjam of young lhd ready for their shot. Cheers

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Edler is not worth exposing. he is a number 2-3 defenseman on any team and provides good leadership for the Canucks. I would trade him if he'd waive but I wouldn't lose him for nothing. Hutton has the potential to be a very good D in this league but he's no guarantee. Also we have many LDs in the lineup and coming up that need to be able to show their value. Tryamkin is a LD playing RD. Juolevi in my mind will be on our team next year. Then you have LDs like Pedan, McEneny, Brisebois etc coming up that will be pushing for NHL spots so we have plenty of LD depth. Like I said, if Edler won't waive then this lineup might be best for next year. Trade Sbisa and Hutton for offensive help.

Edler-Stetcher

Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Juolevi-Tanev

Someone is going to have to be trade so Its all about maximizing a return in a trade. Who gets the most return between Edler and Sbisa. I'm not sure if the Canuks can even expose Edler so it could be moot afterall

6 minutes ago, two drink minimum said:

Trading Tanev would just create a hole on the right side. Unless Benning can get a bona fide #1 or 2 center they cant trade Tanev, not to mention he's 27 years old. That leaves Edler as their best trade chip.

Totally agree I think Tanev is used to get someone like Duchene. I would not trade him unless we got back a guy that suits our needs, or a very good pick and prospect

Just now, two drink minimum said:

Someone is going to have to be trade so Its all about maximizing a return in a trade. Who gets the most return between Edler and Sbisa. I'm not sure if the Canuks can even expose Edler so it could be moot afterall

Edler and Hutton would both get good returns and Sbisa decent. Edler depends on NTC and he might not waive so like I said before. One of or both Sbisa and Hutton should be traded this offseason.

1 minute ago, two drink minimum said:

They can't as far as I know They wouldn't have to anyway. I do hope if they trade its before the expansion draft Sbisa is totally underrated IMO -1 on a 29th place team is pretty good. People who defended him last year said play him in his proper role on his proper side and he will be fine. This year they did that for the most part. He may not get the points, but he reminds me of an LH poor man's Tanev I would hate to lose him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Edler and Hutton would both get good returns and Sbisa decent. Edler depends on NTC and he might not waive so like I said before. One of or both Sbisa and Hutton should be traded this offseason.

I don't want to trade Hutton short of a #2 center. I would do it for a young player like Reinhart or Strome but theres no way Buff or Ari would offer that so keep him. He's way too valuable. Trading Edler just to recoup the cap space makes all the sense in the world to me

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bp79 said:

They can't as far as I know They wouldn't have to anyway. I do hope if they trade its before the expansion draft Sbisa is totally underrated IMO -1 on a 29th place team is pretty good. People who defended him last year said play him in his proper role on his proper side and he will be fine. This year they did that for the most part. He may not get the points, but he reminds me of an LH poor man's Tanev I would hate to lose him.

That's what I thought. So protect Eds, Tans and Goods. Trade Sbisa and its all good. If we end up with the 3rd 4th or 5th pick I would package it up with Sbisa and move it for a future an offensive #2 center. I would love to see Sam Reinhart in a Canucks uni

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Why Hutton or Sbisa.? they won't fetch much and are both far from their prime. If we are going to rebuild it should be Eds And Tanev Tanev would give us a great return, If not keep him. Eds would get us a better return then Hut or pizza IMO. And only one needs to be traded in order for us not to lose Sbisa in the ex draft. I've said it before. I think Tanev is going to the Avs. Edler can be packaged up with Sutter and picks if needed. we take back a bad contract to balance out the books and move into the top 8 and grab  Liljegren Devils might make a good partner. Are we still able to retain salary? I know we are with bobby lou. Is there anyone else still?