Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, two drink minimum said:

Extensive knowledge? ....no but I dont think any of us on here has that. 48 points as a rookie in the NHL is very impressive and 110 points as a rookie in the OHL is impressive. I sincerely hope you're right about OJ vs MT after its all said and done

Your fixation with points says it all.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2017 at 0:34 AM, N4ZZY said:

Edler has said time and time again that he's not waiving his no-trade clause. 

It's a moot point. The guy wants to stay here, he can be a good mentor to some of the younger players. 

Tanev is more likely to be leaving, and I think we can get a good piece in return for him. If not, then best to hang on to him. 

 

I think if push came to shove edler would wave his ntc. But Benning wont pursue that. 

I dont think Edler is the mentor type. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Some points I see that need corrected:

 

Edler IS eligible to be left unprotected. He has a NTC but not a NMC. I hope he is the one left unprotected. I don't see a Tanev trade until at least the summer. 

 

Tryamkin can play both sides. He has all year. He's just as comfortable on the right as he is on the left. There is no issue with trading Tanev and being short on the right side. Worst case is we have Guds and Stecher in the top 4 and we get a UFA to play on the 3rd pairing if we want to keep Tryamkin on the left side. 

 

Tanev won't be traded to Colorado. They already have 2 top right sided D's in Johnson and Barrie who earn even bigger salaries than Tanev. I don't see why they would trade for Tanev to play on the 3rd pairing. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Some points I see that need corrected:

 

Edler IS eligible to be left unprotected. He has a NTC but not a NMC. I hope he is the one left unprotected. I don't see a Tanev trade until at least the summer. 

 

Tryamkin can play both sides. He has all year. He's just as comfortable on the right as he is on the left. There is no issue with trading Tanev and being short on the right side. Worst case is we have Guds and Stecher in the top 4 and we get a UFA to play on the 3rd pairing if we want to keep Tryamkin on the left side. 

 

Tanev won't be traded to Colorado. They already have 2 top right sided D's in Johnson and Barrie who earn even bigger salaries than Tanev. I don't see why they would trade for Tanev to play on the 3rd pairing. 

If Tanev is moved, I hope is either for a young center or defender. This can be either for an NHL ready player or a good draft pick. 

 

Tanev could be this years Schnieder. Trade him at the draft for a pick to grab a specific prospect.

 

If that trade is made, we protect Sbisa, Edler and Guddy so d depth will take a hit, but we will still have capable players.  We have the depth to absorb some of the short term pain.  Both Sbisa and Trymakin can play either side. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

If Tanev is moved, I hope is either for a young center or defender. This can be either for an NHL ready player or a good draft pick. 

 

Tanev could be this years Schnieder. Trade him at the draft for a pick to grab a specific prospect.

 

If that trade is made, we protect Sbisa, Edler and Guddy so d depth will take a hit, but we will still have capable players.  We have the depth to absorb some of the short term pain.  Both Sbisa and Trymakin can play either side. 

The expansion draft is before the regular NHL draft. So we would need to make a decision on who we protect before the regular draft happens. I'd be in favour of just leaving Edler unprotected. Vegas will not pick him up. Then at the actual draft we can wheel and deal and potentially trade Tanev for a first rounder or a young top 6 forward. That opens up a spot for Juolevi to make the club as the 7th D next year. 

 

Hutton  Tryamkin

Sbisa     Stecher 

Edler    Gudbranson 

Juolevi 

 

I would like to see Juolevi sub in for Edler and have him play with Gudbranson. If Juolevi can make the jump as a 19 year old then that frees us up to either trade or buy out Edler the following year which will be his last year under contract. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

The expansion draft is before the regular NHL draft. So we would need to make a decision on who we protect before the regular draft happens. I'd be in favour of just leaving Edler unprotected. Vegas will not pick him up. Then at the actual draft we can wheel and deal and potentially trade Tanev for a first rounder or a young top 6 forward. That opens up a spot for Juolevi to make the club as the 7th D next year. 

 

Hutton  Tryamkin

Sbisa     Stecher 

Edler    Gudbranson 

Juolevi 

 

I would like to see Juolevi sub in for Edler and have him play with Gudbranson. If Juolevi can make the jump as a 19 year old then that frees us up to either trade or buy out Edler the following year which will be his last year under contract. 

 

 

Edler still has one more year on his NTC so he has to be protected in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Edler still has one more year on his NTC so he has to be protected in the draft.

No he doesn't. Only players with NMC must be protected. 

 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a. Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b. Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender 

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

 

Also, Edler has TWO years left on his contract and BOTH years he has a NTC. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Knights win it in OT and force a Game 7! 2-1, Stephens with the winner.

Game 7 goes Tuesday at 4:00 pst.

another game 7 :)  

 

will he ace the win again?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Another game 7 for the Knights. How are they doing it? Parsons is sadly a Flame.

Its amazing how deep they are, year after year... even losing that entire dynamic first line from last year they still have a chance to go to the conference finals. Parsons is outstanding.

(And then out here, we have the Giants... :()

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'd be in favour of just leaving Edler unprotected. Vegas will not pick him up.

Still one of the stupidest ideas I regularly see on CDC. Thanks for clarifying the NTC/NMC thing for some folks though ::D

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Still one of the stupidest ideas I regularly see on CDC. Thanks for clarifying the NTC/NMC thing for some folks though ::D

Haha, so how it is stupid to leave Edler unprotected?  Do you honestly think Gallant would want him?  If he takes him that's $5 million in cap space freed up which means we could take on someone else's dead wood in order to pick up a young prospect. And we could just keep Tanev until Juolevi develops. Win win all around. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Its amazing how deep they are, year after year... even losing that entire dynamic first line from last year they still have a chance to go to the conference finals. Parsons is outstanding.

(And then out here, we have the Giants... :()

I'd throw every last dollar at Dale Hunter to get him as head coach. Travis Green is right there at the top, but when you look at the Hunter teams they have a purpose in the Offensive zone. Maybe Green just needs to coach players that have NHL talent, but Hunter always gets the most out of a team as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Haha, so how it is stupid to leave Edler unprotected?  Do you honestly think Gallant would want him?  If he takes him that's $5 million in cap space freed up which means we could take on someone else's dead wood in order to pick up a young prospect. And we could just keep Tanev until Juolevi develops. Win win all around. 

A #2 or, at worst (according to some at CDC) #3D, on a good contract for 2 more years? Yes. In a second, while laughing maniacally.

 

I'm fine getting rid of Edler if that's what management decides but we could get a hell of a lot more in trade for him than the nothing we'd get from exposing him. It's a phenomenally stupid idea that seriously makes me question the intelligence of anyone who posts it.

 

Take comfort that you're not alone.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

A #2 or, at worst (according to some at CDC) #3D, on a good contract for 2 more years? Yes. In a second, while laughing maniacally.

 

I'm fine getting rid of Edler if that's what management decides but we could get a hell of a lot more in trade for him than the nothing we'd get from exposing him. It's a phenomenally stupid idea that seriously makes me question the intelligence of anyone who posts it.

 

Take comfort that you're not alone.

He has a NTC. He won't agree to a trade so that's not an option. A #3 D?  Maybe on a bad team. Maybe on Vegas. He's basically a turnover machine who wouldn't contribute anything to a playoff contender.  I cannot for the life of me figure out any reason why a guy like Gallant would want him. 

 

I've watched Edler since his first game. After that back injury he's never been the same. He used to be a devastating hitter and could actually run a power play back in the day. Now he's just deadwood on a non playoff rebuilding team. He's also the quietest guy you'd ever meet. He used to date my cousin's cousin. So I actually had dinner with him at my uncle's house. He barely said a word and barely ate a thing all night at an Italian dinner full of food. He's not much of a mentor either. I cannot picture him saying a word to the young defencemen. He's just not that guy. He's no Ohlund. That's why we got Gudbranson who's the exact opposite of Edler. If healthy Gudbranson is the leader of our D moving forward. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

He has a NTC. He won't agree to a trade so that's not an option. A #3 D?  Maybe on a bad team. Maybe on Vegas. He's basically a turnover machine who wouldn't contribute anything to a playoff contender.  I cannot for the life of me figure out any reason why a guy like Gallant would want him. 

 

I've watched Edler since his first game. After that back injury he's never been the same. He used to be a devastating hitter and could actually run a power play back in the day. Now he's just deadwood on a non playoff rebuilding team. He's also the quietest guy you'd ever meet. He used to date my cousin's cousin. So I actually had dinner with him at my uncle's house. He barely said a word and barely ate a thing all night at an Italian dinner full of food. He's not much of a mentor either. I cannot picture him saying a word to the young defencemen. He's just not that guy. He's no Ohlund. That's why we got Gudbranson who's the exact opposite of Edler. If healthy Gudbranson is the leader of our D moving forward. 

Won't? Just like Bieksa or Garrison wouldn't?

 

No, he'd be a solid #2D on a bad team. #3 on a good team with deep D.

 

All you anecdotal stories are great and all and gee I'm shocked that a professional athlete wouldn't be stuffing his gob with pasta and all :rolleyes: but Stecher highly disagrees on your assessment of his mentoring abilities.Gave him major credit at the beginning of the year for mentoring him actually.

 

I could care less if he's an introvert or not.I'd imagine neither do his team mates.

 

 

Edited by J.R.
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to Olli Juolevi | #48 | D
  • SNuck locked and unlocked this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...