The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

39 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

If Tanev is moved, I hope is either for a young center or defender. This can be either for an NHL ready player or a good draft pick. 

Tanev could be this years Schnieder. Trade him at the draft for a pick to grab a specific prospect.

If that trade is made, we protect Sbisa, Edler and Guddy so d depth will take a hit, but we will still have capable players.  We have the depth to absorb some of the short term pain.  Both Sbisa and Trymakin can play either side. 

The expansion draft is before the regular NHL draft. So we would need to make a decision on who we protect before the regular draft happens. I'd be in favour of just leaving Edler unprotected. Vegas will not pick him up. Then at the actual draft we can wheel and deal and potentially trade Tanev for a first rounder or a young top 6 forward. That opens up a spot for Juolevi to make the club as the 7th D next year. 

Hutton  Tryamkin

Sbisa     Stecher 

Edler    Gudbranson 

Juolevi 

I would like to see Juolevi sub in for Edler and have him play with Gudbranson. If Juolevi can make the jump as a 19 year old then that frees us up to either trade or buy out Edler the following year which will be his last year under contract. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

The expansion draft is before the regular NHL draft. So we would need to make a decision on who we protect before the regular draft happens. I'd be in favour of just leaving Edler unprotected. Vegas will not pick him up. Then at the actual draft we can wheel and deal and potentially trade Tanev for a first rounder or a young top 6 forward. That opens up a spot for Juolevi to make the club as the 7th D next year. 

Hutton  Tryamkin

Sbisa     Stecher 

Edler    Gudbranson 

Juolevi 

I would like to see Juolevi sub in for Edler and have him play with Gudbranson. If Juolevi can make the jump as a 19 year old then that frees us up to either trade or buy out Edler the following year which will be his last year under contract. 

Edler still has one more year on his NTC so he has to be protected in the draft.

18 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Edler still has one more year on his NTC so he has to be protected in the draft.

No he doesn't. Only players with NMC must be protected. 

Protected Lists
* Clubs will have two options for players they wish to protect in the Expansion Draft: 

a. Seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender

b. Eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender 

* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

* All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Also, Edler has TWO years left on his contract and BOTH years he has a NTC. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Another game 7 for the Knights. How are they doing it? Parsons is sadly a Flame.

Its amazing how deep they are, year after year... even losing that entire dynamic first line from last year they still have a chance to go to the conference finals. Parsons is outstanding.

(And then out here, we have the Giants... :()

1 hour ago, Harvey Spector said:

I'd be in favour of just leaving Edler unprotected. Vegas will not pick him up.

Still one of the stupidest ideas I regularly see on CDC. Thanks for clarifying the NTC/NMC thing for some folks though ::D

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Still one of the stupidest ideas I regularly see on CDC. Thanks for clarifying the NTC/NMC thing for some folks though ::D

Haha, so how it is stupid to leave Edler unprotected?  Do you honestly think Gallant would want him?  If he takes him that's $5 million in cap space freed up which means we could take on someone else's dead wood in order to pick up a young prospect. And we could just keep Tanev until Juolevi develops. Win win all around. 

1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Its amazing how deep they are, year after year... even losing that entire dynamic first line from last year they still have a chance to go to the conference finals. Parsons is outstanding.

(And then out here, we have the Giants... :()

I'd throw every last dollar at Dale Hunter to get him as head coach. Travis Green is right there at the top, but when you look at the Hunter teams they have a purpose in the Offensive zone. Maybe Green just needs to coach players that have NHL talent, but Hunter always gets the most out of a team as well.

13 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Haha, so how it is stupid to leave Edler unprotected?  Do you honestly think Gallant would want him?  If he takes him that's $5 million in cap space freed up which means we could take on someone else's dead wood in order to pick up a young prospect. And we could just keep Tanev until Juolevi develops. Win win all around. 

A #2 or, at worst (according to some at CDC) #3D, on a good contract for 2 more years? Yes. In a second, while laughing maniacally.

I'm fine getting rid of Edler if that's what management decides but we could get a hell of a lot more in trade for him than the nothing we'd get from exposing him. It's a phenomenally stupid idea that seriously makes me question the intelligence of anyone who posts it.

Take comfort that you're not alone.

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

A #2 or, at worst (according to some at CDC) #3D, on a good contract for 2 more years? Yes. In a second, while laughing maniacally.

I'm fine getting rid of Edler if that's what management decides but we could get a hell of a lot more in trade for him than the nothing we'd get from exposing him. It's a phenomenally stupid idea that seriously makes me question the intelligence of anyone who posts it.

Take comfort that you're not alone.

He has a NTC. He won't agree to a trade so that's not an option. A #3 D?  Maybe on a bad team. Maybe on Vegas. He's basically a turnover machine who wouldn't contribute anything to a playoff contender.  I cannot for the life of me figure out any reason why a guy like Gallant would want him. 

I've watched Edler since his first game. After that back injury he's never been the same. He used to be a devastating hitter and could actually run a power play back in the day. Now he's just deadwood on a non playoff rebuilding team. He's also the quietest guy you'd ever meet. He used to date my cousin's cousin. So I actually had dinner with him at my uncle's house. He barely said a word and barely ate a thing all night at an Italian dinner full of food. He's not much of a mentor either. I cannot picture him saying a word to the young defencemen. He's just not that guy. He's no Ohlund. That's why we got Gudbranson who's the exact opposite of Edler. If healthy Gudbranson is the leader of our D moving forward. 

Edited by Harvey Spector
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

He has a NTC. He won't agree to a trade so that's not an option. A #3 D?  Maybe on a bad team. Maybe on Vegas. He's basically a turnover machine who wouldn't contribute anything to a playoff contender.  I cannot for the life of me figure out any reason why a guy like Gallant would want him. 

I've watched Edler since his first game. After that back injury he's never been the same. He used to be a devastating hitter and could actually run a power play back in the day. Now he's just deadwood on a non playoff rebuilding team. He's also the quietest guy you'd ever meet. He used to date my cousin's cousin. So I actually had dinner with him at my uncle's house. He barely said a word and barely ate a thing all night at an Italian dinner full of food. He's not much of a mentor either. I cannot picture him saying a word to the young defencemen. He's just not that guy. He's no Ohlund. That's why we got Gudbranson who's the exact opposite of Edler. If healthy Gudbranson is the leader of our D moving forward. 

Won't? Just like Bieksa or Garrison wouldn't?

No, he'd be a solid #2D on a bad team. #3 on a good team with deep D.

All you anecdotal stories are great and all and gee I'm shocked that a professional athlete wouldn't be stuffing his gob with pasta and all :rolleyes: but Stecher highly disagrees on your assessment of his mentoring abilities.Gave him major credit at the beginning of the year for mentoring him actually.

I could care less if he's an introvert or not.I'd imagine neither do his team mates.

Edited by J.R.

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Won't? Just like Bieksa or Garrison wouldn't?

No, he'd be a solid #2D on a bad team. #3 on a good team with deep D.

All you anecdotal stories are great and all and gee I'm shocked that a professional athlete wouldn't be stuffing his gob with pasta and all :rolleyes: but Stecher highly disagrees on your assessment of his mentoring abilities.Gave him major credit at the beginning of the year for mentoring him actually.

I could care less if he's an introvert or not.

So the Canucks are technically a bad team no?  So he's our #2 D?  Really?  You have him ahead of Tanev, Tryamkin, Gudbranson, Hutton and Sbisa?  I'm assuming Stecher is ahead of him considering he's our best offensive weapon. 

Is he a #3 on Edmonton, a team with less depth on D than Vancouver?  I'd take Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse over Edler. Heck I'd even take Sekera over him. He's on the third pairing in Edmonton. 

Edited by Harvey Spector

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

And none of this particularly even matters...regardless of whether you think Edler's a #2D or a #4D, you don't simply move him for nothing. It's monumentally stupid.

It just makes the posters saying such things look like they don't know their heads from their butts. 

12 hours ago, J.R. said:

And none of this particularly even matters...regardless of whether you think Edler's a #2D or a #4D, you don't simply move him for nothing. It's monumentally stupid.

That's the way you are it and more power to you.  Others see letting sbisa go, who is younger, cheaper and much more physical, as a bigger mistake.  Edler has done good things in van, but his best days are very clearly behind him.

• Upvote 1