The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's the way you are it and more power to you.  Others see letting sbisa go, who is younger, cheaper and much more physical, as a bigger mistake.  Edler has done good things in van, but his best days are very clearly behind him.

You would be hard pressed to get a 6th round pick for Sbisa. Why would you protect him when #1 he's basically a terrible defenseman and #2 you're not going to be able to trade him for anything of decent value, the slight chance that Edler will waive his NTC is worth more than what you would get for Sbisa. Plus having Edler on the team eating up big minutes against top forwards protects our young defense from getting exposed and lets them develop at a proper pace rather than getting thrown to the wolves.

Edited by Ihatetomatoes
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

You would be hard pressed to get a 6th round pick for Sbisa. Why would you protect him when #1 he's basically a terrible defenseman and #2 you're not going to be able to trade him for anything of decent value, the slight chance that Edler will waive his NTC is worth more than what you would get for Sbisa. Plus having Edler on the team eating up big minutes against top forwards protects our young defense from getting exposed and lets them develop at a proper pace rather than getting thrown to the wolves.

The guy might not be a point producer, but then nobody on our blue line was, but what he was was one of our most improved defensemen and almost a positive +/- player on the 2nd worst team in the league 

If you really think he'd only net a 6th as return just think of a reference point.  He's at worst worth a 2nd and 3rd.  Just for reference, look at the returns Polak has net the Leafs over the years.  I'd say it's comparable really.  Multiple 2nds etc or an addition as part of a larger trade.

You don't just throw away pieces that net returns.

Either way, at some point in the next season or 2 someone(s) have to leave to start making room for OJ and the rest of the prospects pushing up the ranks.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That's the way you are it and more power to you.  Others see letting sbisa go, who is younger, cheaper and much more physical, as a bigger mistake.  Edler has done good things in van, but his best days are very clearly behind him.

My entire point is to not let ANYONE go for free. Sbisa included. 

It's a plan of momentous stupidity and should be avoided if it all possible. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, J.R. said:

My entire point is to not let ANYONE go for free. Sbisa included. 

It's a plan of momentous stupidity and should be avoided if it all possible. 

With that, I agree.  Make a deal if possible, but Edler has been pretty adamant about not waiving his ntc, and I think we have to go with that assumption

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

With that, I agree.  Make a deal if possible, but Edler has been pretty adamant about not waiving his ntc, and I think we have to go with that assumption

Kesler didn't ask for a trade. Bieksa was going down with the ship. 

And if not, you move Tanev. At this point, I'm fine moving either or both. (Or Sbisa for that matter, though IMO there won't be a market before the ED and he obviously represents less of a return).

Edited by J.R.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

And if not, you move Tanev. At this point, I'm fine moving either or both. (Or Sbisa for that matter, though IMO there won't be a market before the ED and he obviously represents less of a return).

I'm saying you can only speculate on what we know, for sure.  Could it unfold differently?  Of course

How is juolevi doing with the Knights in the playoffs,  I see they forced another game 7, I hope it's on TV.   I see it's been a low scoring affair against Erie, with most goals coming from a couple of players.  Someone in this thread did a play by play analysis  of Juolevi that was very informative and not to mention bloody cool, if that guy can step up and give us the lowdown please. 

Edited by Sugar baby watermelon

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Kesler totally asked to be traded: http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2014/6/28/5851878/the-truth-comes-out-as-kesler-leaves

"With Ryan, when I took the job, he came to me and asked to be moved." OK, I thought Kesler said the opposite. And make no mistake, Benning's not lying here.

EDIT: I think you were being facetious. I always have a hard time picking up on your tongue cheek humour without any clear indicators! Haha :P

it is always the case though that a player will want to move on when they know they aren't wanted anymore. GM JB and TL have stated loyalty to the Sedins but anyone else is fair game.

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Sooo... he's worth less than Larsen?

Prior to the expansion draft a 5th or 6th might be all you can get for a player like Sbisa that you would have to expose to the ED. His value would probably double after the ED.

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

On April 17, 2017 at 5:34 PM, HomeBrew said:

Prior to the expansion draft a 5th or 6th might be all you can get for a player like Sbisa that you would have to expose to the ED. His value would probably double after the ED.

Solid third or a low second would be a deal for Sbisa. He did well this season all things considered. The guy is only 25 and has shown that he can play top 4 minute without too many issues. The Sbisa hate train was two/three years ago.  

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Upvote 1

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 8:46 PM, skategal said:

I know this thread is supposed to be about Juolevi, but talk about Edler intrigues me.  While he may not be a Norris caliber defenceman, he's no slouch.  He's become CDC's latest whipping boy, but that doesn't take much.  I'm curious about people who state that "he's not much of a mentor".  How do you know that?  Do you see him on the practice ice, in the dressing room, players bench?  In my estimate, Edler is a classic introvert, he's not going to be front and center in a group talking, not the life of the party, not comfortable talking on front of people he doesn't know well, but one on one he's likely very good.  I believe some of the younger guys have referenced his help in getting them more comfortable in the NHL.  

My guess from watching Edler is that he's not thought of as a mentor because he makes as many mistakes as the rest of the defensemen combined, Stecher is already leaps and bounds ahead of him defensively in his rookie season and Edler is pretty much useless and error prone on most nights costing the team wins.

If Benning wants to help this team win next season he makes sure he keeps Tanev and Hutton and tells Edler he's seen enough poor uninspired play out of him to last a lifetime and to except a trade to a team of your liking or you spend the season in Utica.

As for Juolevi great all around dman in the making looks like this kid will be ready after next season hopefully a little bigger and stronger.

This kid does a lot of things well and we already have some young guys who do just that it'll solidify what we have when he's ready and he could just might round out into a true qb for the powerplay.

The Knights are up 3-1 in the first period right now with 5:31 to play and have chased Timpano out of the Otters' net. Juolevi has an assist on the first goal, a powerplay marker where he passed it down to Cliff Pu at the side who fed it out to Kuokkanen in front of the net for the goal. He did get a minus on the Erie goal, but it was more Mete's fault than his; Juolevi had his man covered near the left side of the ice and Mete came over to help, leaving Lodnia wide open in front of the net to score when the puck squeaked out to him.

Darren Raddysh scores with 0.2 seconds left in the first period with a laser from the right faceoff circle... what a shot. The Otters won a puck battle behind the net and Raddysh got the puck without a lot of space to shoot, I think it was Macdonald who was right in front of him. 3-2 at the end of the first.

Edited by stonecoldstevebernier