The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

21 minutes ago, hyper00 said:

I mean bringing in Hamhuis really helped. Hopefully we get someone like Ballard for like Grabner +. Trust in Gillis guys.

16 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Where have you been? Gillis been gone a long time haha Bennings running the show now. Or wait maybe its Linden?

Whoops. Brain fart, my bad.. :P

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Freeridebc said:

Obviously the missing mentor is Aaron Rome....

All seriousness , anyone have any idea what Oli's weight is he's playing at currently?

he should be in or on his way Vancouver by now.   elimated from playoffs recently. 

On 4/16/2017 at 11:23 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Wow, you have this knowledge based upon your extensive watching of junior hockey games?   MT is a head case and will wear thin on his teammates just like he did in junior except at NHL level he cannot simply "move on".   Second  year in league when teams know he is coming he will be far less effective.  Given the Canucks needs, OJ is a far better prospect but for some I guess the instant gratification is more important than hockey logic.

UMM MT A first line winger? He had 13 goals playing top minutes all year among some pretty talented guys. Of his 35  assists. Many of them were secondary. Just like in junior. IMO Secondary assists matter a hell of a lot more if they are coming g from a defenceman. I will take a potential #1 a or B defenceman over a guy who pads his stats off the players around him any day. You wanna talk first line wingers? Laine. Marner  Leon (made an amazing set up in ot even tho he should have been suspended) Brock Goldy those guys all have some type of it factor. MT is never going to be a game breaker. and he plays the game with no respect

ps. PIERRE-LUC DUBOIS had just a terrible season %% points in 48 games. After getting 99 in 63 the year before. Too soon to say but man him and JP did not have good seasons at all. I am liking the Oj pick more and more. Tho I always did and knew right then and there we had A gm with big kahunas... He knew how much crap was going to be said about him by either not moving up or by taking a D at 5th overall. Rumours are rumours, but I read on one the lames fan forums that Boston pizza jr was going to take OJ regardless if Mt was still around. 

Gms like Chiarelli if he was a good gm would have taken the player that they needed the most. not A winger who will have a tough time being in there top 6. They would have been better off trading down a bit maybe with us and grabbed whatever d they thought was the best. From all accounts, most scouts didn't believe Oj would make it past 6th. In hindsight, I am glad the draft worked out the way it did. Except if we would have gotten Austin or Laine. OH god, imagine the tears from leaf fans. 

Correct me if I'm wrong last year the Leafs could have done no worse than 2nd. Yet this year col can do no worse than 4th. Was last years draft format in place just last year? or is this a new format starting this year.CHEERS

On 4/16/2017 at 3:04 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Your fixation with points says it all.....

On 4/19/2017 at 9:16 PM, Stelar said:

Gonna leave this here

2016-17
CGY
L
15:11

I get the jist not good stats, but could someone redo therm so they read like a normal box score am I the only one who can't really read this?

On 4/19/2017 at 10:37 PM, elvis15 said:

I wasn't a fan of drafting Tkachuk, but there's no real need to bring him down to try and make Juolevi better. The Flames sucked period in the playoffs, and whatever his statline against Anaheim, Tkachuk still had a strong regular season.

I don't think he had all that good of a reg season. Ya he racked up the assists. Like He did in junior most were secondary. 13 goals playing in the top 6 with from what im told a lot of talent. 13 isn't that much. to me, it seems like he used the other players to pad his stats. but hey that's just my take on things

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 10:13 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Hopefully Alzner is around to help

As a UFA I love the concept. Is he playing injured? Seems to be spotted more than playing a regular shift. He has limited offense so maybe that is why.  

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:33 AM, elvis15 said:

As a rookie on a middling team, that's still a strong season. Detract all you want (from what I'm told) but if all people have is to come into this thread and trash Tkachuk to try and make Juolevi look better, they're doing it wrong.

I agree. I'm still not sure Benning made the right pick by taking Juolevi over Tkachuk. It's not always about the points. Tkachuk plays a fearless, gritty style, a player the Canucks could sure use. He'll get his bag full of dirty goals and is already an impactful NHL player. My fingers are crossed that Olli turns out as good as people say.

20 hours ago, Boudrias said:

As a UFA I love the concept. Is he playing injured? Seems to be spotted more than playing a regular shift. He has limited offense so maybe that is why.  

Alzner is sitting out because of upper body injury.

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree. I'm still not sure Benning made the right pick by taking Juolevi over Tkachuk. It's not always about the points. Tkachuk plays a fearless, gritty style, a player the Canucks could sure use. He'll get his bag full of dirty goals and is already an impactful NHL player. My fingers are crossed that Olli turns out as good as people say.

We could draft Brady next year just to placate the complainers, but then there'd be "but imagine if we had both together!"

3 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

We could draft Brady next year just to placate the complainers, but then there'd be "but imagine if we had both together!"

You'd have to simultaneously acquire both Nylander's, Ehlers, buyout Louie and bring Tryamkin back from Russia to achieve anything close to that :P 

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

You'd have to simultaneously acquire both Nylander's, Ehlers, buyout Louie and bring Tryamkin back from Russia to achieve anything close to that :P 

I like Jake as a person. He's a nice kid, I've met him a few times. He might still turn into a good player but Nylander was staring us in the face. Blew away the combine, could have been mentored by the Sedins. Was a no brainer that we passed on. Loui was a terrible signing, JB should be worried about his job right now. If he doesn't get this lotto pick right he's in trouble. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I like Jake as a person. He's a nice kid, I've met him a few times. He might still turn into a good player but Nylander was staring us in the face. Blew away the combine, could have been mentored by the Sedins. Was a no brainer that we passed on. Loui was a terrible signing, JB should be worried about his job right now. If he doesn't get this lotto pick right he's in trouble. 

the Nylander look entitled too me.  that can be great for confidence but can rub some players the wrong way.   his younger brother on buffalo really showed his cocky attitude in the pre draft interviews.  (the edm tv one in particular was really telling).

confidence is one thing. arrogance is another.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

the Nylander look entitled too me.  that can be great for confidence but can rub some players the wrong way.   his younger brother on buffalo really showed his cocky attitude in the pre draft interviews.  (the edm tv one in particular was really telling).

confidence is one thing. arrogance is another.

Your right, but I notice a lot of the best players in the league are cocky ect. Nylander was the best player on the board at 6th by far and we passed. I know Ehlers was a good prospect as well but was much riskier then Nylander with the size concerns. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/23/2017 at 4:23 AM, messier's_elbow said:

I think Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, and Stecher might give Benning some time in the organization. Of course Granlund, Sutter, and Gudbranson could still turn out well for the team.

Virtanen wasn't exactly Benning's fault since he was the consensus #6. 

Though I think ultimately the progression of Juolevi will finally decide Benning's fate, he had Tkachuk fallen under his lap and went the unconventional way picking Juolevi. So if Juolevi becomes a disappointment and Tkachuk continues to build from his rookie season then Benning is in trouble.

It's amazing though that Benning hasn't called up Jordan Subban or Cole Cassels yet though. Subban could help in the PP and Cassels has shown how good he is shutting down McDavid in the Juniors. 

Edited by iinatcc

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think Boeser, Gaudette, Demko, Juolevi, and Stecher might give Benning some time in the organization. Of course Granlund, Sutter, and Gudbranson could still turn out well for the team.

Virtanen wasn't exactly Benning's fault since he was the consensus #6. 

Though I think ultimately the progression of Juolevi will finally decide Benning's fate, he had Tkachuk fallen under his lap and went the unconventional way picking Juolevi. So if Juolevi becomes a disappointment and Tkachuk continues to build from his rookie season then Benning is in trouble.

It's amazing though that Benning hasn't called up Jordan Subban or Cole Cassels yet though. Subban could help in the PP and Cassels has shown how good he is shutting down McDavid in the Juniors. 

I can see Juolevi being a similar player to Karlsson, with a little less offense, but similar style and on ice personality.  Whether he reaches that level or not is up to him.  I'll take that over Tkachuk every time, and i like Tkachuk.

• Upvote 2