The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Hmm Craig button didn't seem to like Virtanen lol

I'll admit the jury is till out on JV - and his fate/career is ultimately in his own hands, but there's a reason why Button isn't directly employed by an NHL team anymore so I'd take anything he says or analyzes with a grain of salt so to speak. 

13 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

May be just me, but the more I watch the Nashville Predators in the playoffs, the more I see Olli Juolevi aspiring more like Roman Josi type player.

...could be...could well be...right now he reminds me of a smarter, better passing, Edler...that might be mostly body language on the ice or he has some of Edler's great defensive positioning instilled in him already .... so he looks similar on D.,...much higher upside on O.,... DOH...

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

I'll admit the jury is till out on JV - and his fate/career is ultimately in his own hands, but there's a reason why Button isn't directly employed by an NHL team anymore so I'd take anything he says or analyzes with a grain of salt so to speak. 

Oh for sure, but I just wonder why he didn't crack buttons top 30. You really have dislike a player to keep him outa your top 30 when they are in most scouts top 10

OHL all star teams released. Juolevi didn't make either the 1st or 2nd team. Sergachev made the 2nd team.

Confirms what most of us thought, Juolevi didn't really take a big step forward this season.

Edited by GoBoGo53

17 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

OHL all star teams released. Juolevi didn't make either the 1st or 2nd team. Sergachev made the 2nd team.

Confirms what most of us thought, Juolevi didn't really take a big step forward this season.

He made the 3rd team. Who cares what the OHL thinks, the guy is a stud.

Keep in mind that Olli kept the same statistics on a team that went from having 3 players hit over 100 points (121,116,107), to the top 3 players having less than 90 (86,72,66). That is progression.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, GoBoGo53 said:

That's a very naive comment by someone who clearly didn't watch him play. He's progressing just fine. Look for

him to be a force next year in camp. 

• Upvote 3

On 5/17/2017 at 2:51 PM, GoBoGo53 said:

Actually Juolevi and Serg were the only U18 D-Men to make that list so not sure what you're on about. Also Serg was on the first team last year with 61pts and this year dropped to the second team and had 43 points, so I guess he regressed didn't he?

Edited by BI3KSALLENT
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

So just because you watched him play that means you are able to give an expert opinion on his progression?   You watched him plenty of times last year and this year and you are definitely qualified enough to let us know that he is progressing.  Right?

Pretty sure if he made one of the All-star teams we would all care what the OHL thinks.  Why wouldn't we? 

He did make one of the teams...

2 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He made the 3rd team. Who cares what the OHL thinks, the guy is a stud.

Keep in mind that Olli kept the same statistics on a team that went from having 3 players hit over 100 points (121,116,107), to the top 3 players having less than 90 (86,72,66). That is progression.

That has a lot to do with Joulevi's season. Unfortunately most All-star teams are based on offence. We will see how Joulevi does with next year's team with a more experienced group. They will be in the running for another Memorial Cup IMHO.

37 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Your expert opinion comforts me 

Pretty sure if he made the first All-star team we would all care what the OHL thinks.  Why shouldn't we? 

For the reason I stated immediately after that comment. He played on a significantly worse team and put up the same amount of points. Had he been on a team with Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak again this year, he would have had way more points and would have made the first All-Star team.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Fair.  Although saying the team was significantly worse is a stretch,as a team they only scored I think about 25 less goals than they did last year. 

25 goals is significant I'd say.

• Upvote 1