b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would like to see him go back for one more year of junior. He's definitely not too good for this level yet.

 

No need to rush him.

I concur for the exact same reason, not that hes bad or anything.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Scorevat said:

I concur for the exact same reason, not that hes bad or anything.

No not at all. Some players just need longer to get bigger and stronger.

 

He does alot of little things well that should help him transition to the NHL. But if they want him to reach his ceiling they need to make sure they take his development slow.

 

If he's going to be a top 2 guy that we all hope, he needs to be able to dominate at the junior level before moving on. He's not quite there yet.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No not at all. Some players just need longer to get bigger and stronger.

 

He does alot of little things well that should help him transition to the NHL. But if they want him to reach his ceiling they need to make sure they take his development slow.

 

If he's going to be a top 2 guy that we all hope, he needs to be able to dominate at the junior level before moving on. He's not quite there yet.

Yeah exactly, if he reaches his highest potential I think he'll be a top 2, 2-way d man that can chip in 35-50 in his prime years. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He really looks like he sees the game very well. He seems aware of what's going on on the ice at all times. Definitely helps with his playmaking and decision making. Also seems to be a PP specialist based on the number of clips from the PP. I'd love to see him dominate from London's blue line next year.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He really looks like he sees the game very well. He seems aware of what's going on on the ice at all times. Definitely helps with his playmaking and decision making. Also seems to be a PP specialist based on the number of clips from the PP. I'd love to see him dominate from London's blue line next year.

 

Does he ever see the ice well. He seems to find the lane or space that's only open for a quick second and hits a guy with a pass that you didn't see coming. Looks like he knows how to pick the right over the shoulder spots on the goalie well too.. 

 

Its too bad he doesn't have a bit of an edge to his game. He'd be a sure fire number 1 if he could dish out some Finnish punishment every now and then. I know it's not his style, I'm just sayin its too bad haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@DeNiro


I think we wait and see how his summer strength program affects his game then make a decision in training camp

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

@DeNiro


I think we wait and see how his summer strength program affects his game then make a decision in training camp

I don't think it's just his strength though, there's certain things in his game he needs to work on.

 

He's still panicking with the puck at times and making bad passes. I'd like to see him be more active in the offensive zone as well. He's got a great shot, but he seems a little too passive at times. I know the coach wants him to be more of a stay at home guy, but that's wasting his talents. Hunter needs to give him more of a green light to produce next season.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think it's just his strength though, there's certain things in his game he needs to work on.

 

He's still panicking with the puck at times and making bad passes. I'd like to see him be more active in the offensive zone as well. He's got a great shot, but he seems a little too passive at times. I know the coach wants him to be more of a stay at home guy, but that's wasting his talents. Hunter needs to give him more of a green light to produce next season.

and what happens when Hunter doesn't do that? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

@DeNiro


I think we wait and see how his summer strength program affects his game then make a decision in training camp

I think a part of Juolevi's weakness is that he's so thin. He definitely does need to get a little stronger. 

I don't watch too many London games, so I'm not sure what his weaknesses are in his game. But I can see that he doesn't give as much offensively as he can. But perhaps that due to Hunter's use of him. If he is to grow offensively, it may not be under Hunter. Finnish Elite League next season as a possibility for further growth in his game? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juolevi had a good draft+1 year. Even though he didn't dominate offensively like most of us would have hoped for, he elevated his play in that regard high enough to show that he can produce quality offense both on the powerplay and even strength without the big three of Marner, Tkachuk, and Dvorak; Juolevi can create offense through his vision, passing skills, and wrist shot and is not merely the passenger that some have thought. All that while being used in a more defensive, shutdown role. Also, he led his team in playoff scoring for defenseman over the likes of high offense players in Mete and Vande Sompel

 

IMO I'm not opposed to another year of junior for Juolevi. Vande Sompel will likely be in the AHL next season, giving Juolevi more powerplay time. Key London players like Parsons, Pu, Kuokkanen, Mete, Jones, 2017 prospect Thomas, and 2018 prospect Bouchard (who might be another 1st rounder) will all have a long summer of training and will be even better next season. Juolevi could refine his offensive game even further.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olli... Ollii..... Oliii :DDDDD

 

VANCVOUER TIME BAEBIEEEE :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juolevi is a stud and he will make the team next season! 

 

Beartchi Horvat Boesser

Sedin Sedin  Granlund 

Goldobin Sutter Virtanen

Boucher Chaput Molino 

Gaunce Shore Dorset/ Rodin 

 

Juolevi Stetcher 

Hutton Tyramkin

Edler Gudbranson

Sbisa Biega 

 

Miller

Markstrom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs to add 20 pounds to even compete for an NHL spot, and if he does that this summer who knows if his body has adjusted to the added weight. Given that, he should be in London next year. Like you guys said above, he really needs to to add on some mass this summer because he's going into his D + 2 season and should atleast look at a man in that league. 
 

Also, as some of you have pointed out, most of his points come from the powerplay and so I hope he's better 5v5 next year in creating off the rush. I get that we should not try to make him out to be a player that he's not, but one of the key features of a top pairing defenceman is the ability to transition the puck with a pass or skating. Even a player with limited offensive ability like Tanev can transition the puck and carry it up ice. Olli doesn't stickhandle particularly well, and I guess carrying the puck up ice isn't his strong suit but an area to work on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No not at all. Some players just need longer to get bigger and stronger.

 

He does alot of little things well that should help him transition to the NHL. But if they want him to reach his ceiling they need to make sure they take his development slow.

 

If he's going to be a top 2 guy that we all hope, he needs to be able to dominate at the junior level before moving on. He's not quite there yet.

But a defenseman cannot dominate at the junior level like a forward can.  A defenseman cannot defend alone or create scoring if his forward suck.  On the other hand, a forward on a bad team, without good D or Goalie can produce 100 points.

 

If London's team is not better next year, Juolevi won't look much better than he did this year.  Erie was the best team, and even if you would replace Juolevi with Aaron Ekblad or Seth Jones, London would probably still have lost that series.

 

I'm not saying give Juolevi a roster spot rightaway or put him on the top pairing.  But if he proves in training camp he can play in the NHL, we should keep him up and let him acclimate and grow with our core. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sample size is small--yesterday's game--but I'm not seeing what others are seeing in OJ. I saw a man against boys yesterday. He looked to me like he was playing to his team's level, which means he likely has at least one more gear to give.

 

Another year in junior is not the way to go. London looked horrible yesterday and completely outplayed, but OJ looked super solid, making good plays like nothing. I see another Tanev for us but with way more offensive upside. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No not at all. Some players just need longer to get bigger and stronger.

 

He does alot of little things well that should help him transition to the NHL. But if they want him to reach his ceiling they need to make sure they take his development slow.

 

If he's going to be a top 2 guy that we all hope, he needs to be able to dominate at the junior level before moving on. He's not quite there yet.

Yes for sure

It would almost criminal to bump him up this year.

let him season an perculate another year Jr level then on to Utica to polish off his game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

My sample size is small--yesterday's game--but I'm not seeing what others are seeing in OJ. I saw a man against boys yesterday. He looked to me like he was playing to his team's level, which means he likely has at least one more gear to give.

 

Another year in junior is not the way to go. London looked horrible yesterday and completely outplayed, but OJ looked super solid, making good plays like nothing. I see another Tanev for us but with way more offensive upside. 

I prefer another year of OHL hockey than playing in the Finnish league. Joulevi just finished his 2nd year of Canadian hockey. In London he gets NHL quality coaching, coaching that knows what it takes for success in the NHL. The same coach who developed Bo Horvat. Hunter showed how much he valued Joulevi by how he played him in during the season and playoffs. Play Joulevi for his 9 games starting next year and then send him to London for experience and physical development. Not sexy like Euroland but it works.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he bulks up enough this summer that it is safe for him to patrol the blueline AND he earns his spot, then by all means he should start with the big team playing sheltered minutes at first. That appears to be his, his agents and the Canucks goal and desire.

 

From what I have seen the AHL is beneath him at this point.

 

I hope in our next coaching team is a whip-smart coach dedicated to the defencemen like Washington has in Todd Rierden because we have a LOT of young blood back there (right now and on it's way).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He really looks like he sees the game very well. He seems aware of what's going on on the ice at all times. Definitely helps with his playmaking and decision making. Also seems to be a PP specialist based on the number of clips from the PP. I'd love to see him dominate from London's blue line next year.

 

God damn what a wrist shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.