Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Play Joulevi for his 9 games starting next year and then send him to London for experience and physical development.

Without trades and/or injuries, that's not happening.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Without trades and/or injuries, that's not happening.

Perhaps pre-season will be a good enough exposure but I prefer some actual NHL games. Not sure why you are ruling it out. Trades and/or injuries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Perhaps pre-season will be a good enough exposure but I prefer some actual NHL games. Not sure why you are ruling it out. Trades and/or injuries?

Roster limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Without trades and/or injuries, that's not happening.

There will be trades and injuries.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Screw said:

There will be trades and injuries.

You're talking to a guy that wouldn't mind seeing both Edler and Tanev moved :lol: 

 

Still, until those things actually occur.... At present we don't have enough room for our current players to get starting minutes, never mind adding Juolevi.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J.R. said:

You're talking to a guy that wouldn't mind seeing both Edler and Tanev moved :lol: 

 

Still, until those things actually occur.... At present we don't have enough room for our current players to get starting minutes, never mind adding Juolevi.

You and I see eye to eye on that point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we all know there will be moving parts between now and the season but even with that then yes there will be a roster crunch. It's a good problem to have and if Juolevi out plays someone in the top 7 he's getting those 9 games without a doubt.  That's all going to depend on his summer and his health going into next season. I still think another year of getting stronger will be key for him but I'm sure we all.want to see how he looks playing with NHL players and against NHL competition. I think we're in one of the most exciting times as a Canuck fan. These next couple years are make or break and from the owner down there can't be any critical errors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our current D depth is:

  • Edler
  • Tanev
  • Sbisa
  • Gudbranson
  • Tryamkin
  • Stecher
  • Hutton
  • Biega
  • Juolevi
  • Subban
  • Brisebois
  • Pedan
  • McEneny

I think Sbisa goes to Vegas, but no other moves happen, maybe Subban gets moved because management doesn't seem to believe in him as a defenseman (I'd be looking to offload/never have acquired Gudbranson, and one of the top pair for a scoring forward). I don't see Juolevi cracking the roster and playing meaningful minutes. Loan him to a Swedish team for a year or keep him in junior - no point having him play 200 minutes in the season. Injuries aside, it just doesn't make sense.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, J.R. said:

You're talking to a guy that wouldn't mind seeing both Edler and Tanev moved :lol: 

 

Still, until those things actually occur.... At present we don't have enough room for our current players to get starting minutes, never mind adding Juolevi.

Totally agree with your Tanev and Edler comment.

 

There is a good chance that the Canuck team next year will not be much better than the past one. Again, for me the up coming season is all about player & prospect development. Joulevi has played a lot of hockey over the past 2 seasons. Time away will help him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EagleShield said:

Our current D depth is:

  • Edler
  • Tanev
  • Sbisa
  • Gudbranson
  • Tryamkin
  • Stecher
  • Hutton
  • Biega
  • Juolevi
  • Subban
  • Brisebois
  • Pedan
  • McEneny

I think Sbisa goes to Vegas, but no other moves happen, maybe Subban gets moved because management doesn't seem to believe in him as a defenseman (I'd be looking to offload/never have acquired Gudbranson, and one of the top pair for a scoring forward). I don't see Juolevi cracking the roster and playing meaningful minutes. Loan him to a Swedish team for a year or keep him in junior - no point having him play 200 minutes in the season. Injuries aside, it just doesn't make sense.

This depth chart looks reasonable, but I would slot Mceney in ahead of Subban. I am also not so sure Gudbranson is ahead of Tryamkim, Stecher, and Hutton. All those guys are different, of course. But they are all guys who have shown they are good 3rd pairing guys but have not shown they are good 2nd pairing players. Maybe Guddy will be better when he is healthy but he really struggled when he played for the Canucks in the top 4 last year.

 

In any case, there are lots of bottom 4 or 7th man types Ds there but, in my view, there are no legitimate top pairings Ds on the list. Any team would love to have Edler and Tanev on a second pairing, but not on a first pairing.

 

Let's hope someone in the Canuck system develops into a legitimate top pairing player. My dark horse is Brisebois. He made a lot of progress last year. I look forward to seeing him in Utica next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, JamesB said:

This depth chart looks reasonable, but I would slot Mceney in ahead of Subban. I am also not so sure Gudbranson is ahead of Tryamkim, Stecher, and Hutton. All those guys are different, of course. But they are all guys who have shown they are good 3rd pairing guys but have not shown they are good 2nd pairing players. Maybe Guddy will be better when he is healthy but he really struggled when he played for the Canucks in the top 4 last year.

 

In any case, there are lots of bottom 4 or 7th man types Ds there but, in my view, there are no legitimate top pairings Ds on the list. Any team would love to have Edler and Tanev on a second pairing, but not on a first pairing.

 

Let's hope someone in the Canuck system develops into a legitimate top pairing player. My dark horse is Brisebois. He made a lot of progress last year. I look forward to seeing him in Utica next year.

Those were in the order I saw them on CapFriendly, not any particular preference!

 

Tanev is an elite defensive defenceman, and could potentially be a top pairing D man with a PPQB type as his partner. Edler is a top 4 dman on most teams in the league, but I wouldn't see anyone else on our depth chart playing for a contender at present. I'd say the dark horse is McEneny - was a projected 1st round pick prior to his draft year injury. He had a stellar 2nd half this year and if that continues he may have a shot as an NHLer. Luckily we are likely to suck ass next year and there are 2 really good Dmen in Dahlin and Merkely in next year's draft!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

To Add on.

 

* Snip *

 

Rick Dhaliwal is doing one heck of a job btw.

 

Thanks for posting those, I don't use twitter so it helps when relevant tweets are posted on different Canucks subjects.

 

Sounds like OJ knows he is in control of his future, I know Virtanen at times also said all the right things, but I feel like with Juolevi he is not just saying it, he knows exactly what he has to do to become the player we all hope he can.

 

Also I wasn't aware that last summer wasn't a great one for him, was it just super short or was he injured? I googled around a bit, but nothing came up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can tell Olli loves that cross ice pass, set up Pu and others a bunch of times in that highlight vid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he makes the team out of training camp. He is too good to go back to junior. Benning will make room for him one way or another. I expect at least one D to be traded by September. Maybe one even gets picked up by Vegas... *cough Edler *cough...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I think he makes the team out of training camp. He is too good to go back to junior. Benning will make room for him one way or another. I expect at least one D to be traded by September. Maybe one even gets picked up by Vegas... *cough Edler *cough...

I agree that Olli will make the team in training camp.  Edler will likely be moved after the expansion draft via trade.  Sbisa is going to Vegas.  We gotta keep Tanev and Guddy for leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I think he makes the team out of training camp. He is too good to go back to junior. Benning will make room for him one way or another. I expect at least one D to be traded by September. Maybe one even gets picked up by Vegas... *cough Edler *cough...

Why would we give up that much value for nothing?

That would be a very stupid idea. 

Stupid. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.