The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 minutes ago, bp79 said:

You know this how? "I think Calgary takes him at 6. "im prolly wrong, but u never know. If cbj did a deal with us, chances are habs move to 4 select pld and cbj just screwed up big time.

I respect benning for adjusting on the fly and grabbing what this team needs. MT can be had in other forms like ufa. pmd are a lot harder to get. PC had JP fall to him, but they still gonna suck. Offense is great but that wasn't there main need. How well has this bpa worked for them? and good luck getting those guys all under the cap.same with Calgary. What really sealed it for me is the fact he has alegit shot at being a pro next year. Keep  this in mind. He can play in utica next season. Now nobody knows how he will pan out, but if he reaches say Oel status, remember that even for a local boy AZ refused to include him in any deal for matthews. yet were willing to offer the best forword future stars.

And all this hate on Benning. Considering the mess he inherited, what has he given up? shink and mcann? for a top 4 d and a young granny who has a good chance of having a longer career then shink, who is lazy when it comes to d.

I swear i truly hate most Canuck fans. Only seeing the small picture. And u wonder y the rest of thefans constantly mock us 

Makes sense.

Pretty sure the rest of the NHL is mocking Benning and feeling sorry for us.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

Why is everyone talking as though we got some kind of offensive D-man?

We Didn't this guy gets what? 45-50 pts in Jr?

IN JR?!??!?

Think people!! Guys who get 100 + points in Jr are lucky to be 20 goal guys in the bigs

We're lucky if this guy tops 25 pts in his career (If he has one)

Once again the offensive purge of this team carries on, we did NOT get a key piece here people THAT is why the CB slingshotted themselves ahead of us, because #3 was the LAST impact pick,

The Bluejackets beat us up and took our lunch money, and we didn't do a goddamn thing about it.

You're comparing apples to oranges. Edler in Kelowna had 53 points in 63 games. He eventually scored 49 points in his best season. Juolevi got 42 points in 53 games. It's not much of a stretch seeing him go to 30-40 points in the bigs. Remember Greg Hawgood? He got 133 points in 63 games in 1987-88 for the Kamloops Blazers. His best year in the NHL? 28 points. 

Maybe wait a few years before writing Benning and the kid off. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You're comparing apples to oranges. Edler in Kelowna had 53 points in 63 games. He eventually scored 49 points in his best season. Juolevi got 42 points in 53 games. It's not much of a stretch seeing him go to 30-40 points in the bigs. Remember Greg Hawgood? He got 133 points in 63 games in 1987-88 for the Kamloops Blazers. His best year in the NHL? 28 points. 

Maybe wait a few years before writing Benning and the kid off. 

Probably the most admired player to wear a Canuck jersey, save Linden, Bure and the twins, Stan Smyl wasn't exactly a prolific scorer in Jr. He wasn't projected to be a goal scorer at all, and put up pretty good numbers. I realize he wasn't a Dman, but shows you that you can't possibly predict how certain players translate to the pros. Start the we should have drafted MT nonsense.

• Upvote 1

This guy is a gem.... We have not had a PMD in a long time.  His shot is accurate, and he can thread the needle with his passes.  

I know he is a few years away but this club has not had a true PMD since 2012 and it shows.  He will fit in great if the Sedins sign an extension and cover their biggest weakness.... Speed.  

I don't get why people have such an issue with this pick.  He was PM's number five and said he was the most underrated player in the draft.  Last year he said the same thing about Boser, and 3 years ago he said Horvat was the steal of the draft... And look how they are turning out.

Not to mention Columbus and Calgary were both considering him according to reports. 

All those people saying we could have traded down to get him chill out... You DONT know that.  Just because scouting reports have rankings doesn't mean teams don't have their own.  And look at who he was playing behind in worlds and in London.  Has anyone thought that maybe they did so well because of his ability Instead of the other way around

Edited by TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy
  • Upvote 2

Would also like to point out that this was a very logical pick.

So basically we are in a good position to sign two forwards this offseason. 

2 of Lucic, Eriksson, Brouwer. Lets say we luck out and get both Lucic and Eriksson

Our line up would look like this

Sedin Sedin Eriksson

Lucic Sutter Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Rodin

Etem Granlund Dorsett

Gaunce Grenier

Edler Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Biega

Sbisa 

Markstrom

Miller

So basically that forward line up is pretty Jam packed especially with Boeser coming up (Who i think will be better than Tkachuk) not to mention Virtanen as well.

Our D core has been undergoing massive changes to reshape it. Juolevi will be able to fill into our D before Tkachuk would fit into our forward group. I am really hoping that Juolevi improves enough to make Edler expendable so we can trade him while he still has high value. 

Anyways enough of my Ramble basically I like it because we got a potential top 1-3 D who fits our needs more than a player like Tkachuk does. I also really like Finnish D Idk Why 

Just now, Blueberries said:

Makes sense.

Pretty sure the rest of the NHL is mocking Benning and feeling sorry for us.

Why? yes hes kind of awkward, but he's honest and is in a situation where he can't rebuild only retool. and gets no credt for his first ufa signings Miller really helped Marky, i shudder to think of lack instead. vrbata was a great deal, for one year anyways, nobody could hace expected what we saw last year. Bottom line he got them both on short deals that didn't affect  our cap. I think he knocs it out this year as well . Everyone craps on sbisa. if he contines fo be allowed to play where belongs that contract won't look so bad

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Why? yes hes kind of awkward, but he's honest and is in a situation where he can't rebuild only retool. and gets no credt for his first ufa signings Miller really helped Marky, i shudder to think of lack instead. vrbata was a great deal, for one year anyways, nobody could hace expected what we saw last year. Bottom line he got them both on short deals that didn't affect  our cap. I think he knocs it out this year as well . Everyone craps on sbisa. if he contines fo be allowed to play where belongs that contract won't look so bad

I would plus you twice if I could. :)

1 hour ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

He's won everything at that level. I'd almost prefer it if he went back to Finland for a season and played in the mens league. 

Except he has said he wants to play in the NHL next season. He's keen as mustard and he certainly doesn't have an inferiority complex.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Except he has said he wants to play in the NHL next season. He's keen as mustard and he certainly doesn't have an inferiority complex.

Ha the haters would all at once back pedal. and hail Benning as a god:P

6 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

It has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, I just feel his development would be better suited playing against men if he doesn't make the NHL. Going back to London would be a bit like treading water with all that he's already accomplished.

Going forward 3 years, I hope to see this as what we have as our next core.  Obviously players may move up and down, some may be over/ under rated.  We are pretty set in the middle 6, on D, and in goal.  I don't think that there were any forwards at 5 that would have been probable top line forwards (Tkachuk included).  We needed D more than a 2nd liner.  I think this was a very good pick.  I would have rather had Dubois, but Juolevi still fills a big need for us.  We will likely be drafting high enough to get a 1st or 2nd line forward in the next 2 drafts, but maybe not high enough to get a PMD.

xxxxx- xxxx- Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-xxxxx

Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

xxxxx-Granlund-xxxx

xxxx

Tanev

Juolevi

Hutton

Gudbranson

Tryamkin

Demko

Markstrom

AHL/Trade Bait/Depth/Lose to waivers/Wild card type players: Rodin, Cassels, Grenier, Biega, Stecher, Larsen

Essentially we need 2 first liners, a second liner, a top pairing dman, and to fill out the 4th line in order to complete the roster.  With a fair amount of cap space, and a couple of more higher draft picks, we should see this team rounded out in the next two years.  Benning is building from the back out and getting the harder pieces in place first.  If anything, this draft gave us a little more clarity of how he is building this team.  I am in the minority, but I love the work he is doing.

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

Why is everyone talking as though we got some kind of offensive D-man?

We Didn't this guy gets what? 45-50 pts in Jr?

IN JR?!??!?

Think people!! Guys who get 100 + points in Jr are lucky to be 20 goal guys in the bigs

We're lucky if this guy tops 25 pts in his career (If he has one)

Once again the offensive purge of this team carries on, we did NOT get a key piece here people THAT is why the CB slingshotted themselves ahead of us, because #3 was the LAST impact pick,

The Bluejackets beat us up and took our lunch money, and we didn't do a goddamn thing about it.

Those point totals are for a d man not a forward. You show me a d man who scored 100 in a single season.

I think your out to lunch.

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

xxxx

Tanev

Juolevi

Hutton

Gudbranson

Tryamkin

Problem is, we can only protect 3 D in the upcoming expansion draft. Juolevi is of course exempt, but with Edler requiring protection (as he has an NTC), this leaves us with only 2 guys we can protect of Tanev/Hutton/Gudbranson/Tryamkin. I think we lose a defenseman in the expansion unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Those point totals are for a d man not a forward. You show me a d man who scored 100 in a single season.

I think your out to lunch.

Jim Benning got 111 assists in one season for Portland 1980-81.

72 games, 28 goals, 111 assists for 139 points...damn, Jim!

Edited by Cowichan Canuck
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Problem is, we can only protect 3 D in the upcoming expansion draft. Juolevi is of course exempt, but with Edler requiring protection (as he has an NTC), this leaves us with only 2 guys we can protect of Tanev/Hutton/Gudbranson/Tryamkin. I think we lose a defenseman in the expansion unfortunately. 

Our big Ruski is exempt as far as the rules go.