b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Mete is a very good prospect who significantly increased his profile after the year that he had. Development in regards to defenseman is unpredictable so its hard to say exactly where his value stands. He is 5'10 and as much I decry people who focus too much on size rather than skill, with defenseman it can make a lot of difference. There are very few defenseman in the league that can successfully play at that size, and they are all players who rely on high IQ to overcome their physical deficiencies. The player that he needs to model his game around is Ryan Ellis but only time will tell whether he gets there. Suffice to say he has to overcome longer odds to get there.

IMO there is no comparison between Mete and Juolevi, they are in a whole different tier as prospects.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Toews said:

Mete is a very good prospect who significantly increased his profile after the year that he had. Development in regards to defenseman is unpredictable so its hard to say exactly where his value stands. He is 5'10 and as much I decry people who focus too much on size rather than skill, with defenseman it can make a lot of difference. There are very few defenseman in the league that can successfully play at that size, and they are all players who rely on high IQ to overcome their physical deficiencies. The player that he needs to model his game around is Ryan Ellis but only time will tell whether he gets there. Suffice to say he has to overcome longer odds to get there.

IMO there is no comparison between Mete and Juolevi, they are in a whole different tier as prospects.

Totally agree with you on this. Mete is a fine prospect, but he has a lot to prove with most of it being at higher levels of hockey due to his size. We're lucky to have Juolevi. 

12 hours ago, suitup said:

Totally agree with you on this. Mete is a fine prospect, but he has a lot to prove with most of it being at higher levels of hockey due to his size. We're lucky to have Juolevi. 

Hunter will round off Joulevi's game this winter. He will be a roster threat 2 seasons from now. 

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Hunter will round off Joulevi's game this winter. He will be a roster threat 2 seasons from now. 

I'd say there's very little chance Juolevi isn't on the team after this upcoming season. All he needs to do is get stronger and faster. One more season and off season of training should easily do that if he doesn't make the team this year.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I'd say there's very little chance Juolevi isn't on the team after this upcoming season. All he needs to do is get stronger and faster. One more season and off season of training should easily do that if he doesn't make the team this year.

I think Olli is on our team this season.  He will likely play in the third pair with Gudbranson.  He might even sit out some games and and train to get heavier.  I see him with us and playing around 60.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Seems like a tall order. I am personally not in any rush to see him in the lineup soon. I know when he is promoted he will do well for us whenever that may be. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

You could very well be right. Skill wise he is close now my concern is almost all about his build. He has to get bigger. If it takes a year in the AHL I am not concerned.  

I don't want to see the Canucks rush this guy, defensemen take time to develop...Nick Lidstrom didn't play in the NHL until 2 years after he was drafted, Duncan Keith 5 years after he was drafted,  there are exceptions of course. Guys like Doughty and Ekblad. But it will be better long term for OJ not to make the Canucks this fall. My two cents.

• Upvote 2

Assuming we lose Sbisa to LVK.... our depth is:

Edler / Tanev

Hutton / Gudbranson

Holm / Stecher

Pedan / McEneny

Juolevi / Subban

Juolevi has to beat out Holm for a 3rd pairing spot and they both play a similar game, but Holm at 25 years old should be able to win the spot...we don't keep him up to be the 7th defenseman and Pedan should be that guy anyway for some toughness when needed.

If we trade another D. then maybe he makes it....

Edited by Rollieo Del Fuego

10 hours ago, Erik Karlsson said:

I think he will end up a rich mans version of Matta. Not bad at all. 

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Olli is on our team this season.  He will likely play in the third pair with Gudbranson.  He might even sit out some games and and train to get heavier.  I see him with us and playing around 60.  

If we trade Tanev and lose Sbisa he will probably play, if he's 10 pounds heavier by training camp. If we keep Tanev and Sbisa I think it's one more year in London. 

Better to let him grow as either final OHL year or AHL (assuming Canucks hire a strong development coaching/staff) and instead for a 6th or 7th sign a rental UFA as there are lots of serviceable options - even a Y Weber type is in the SCF.    Dmen, goalies and power forwards all take more time than other players and though each has their own timetable for development, meaning exceptions happen, the more patience you show these types of players usually leads to higher ceilings and more consistently productive careers.   

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Better to let him grow as either final OHL year or AHL (assuming Canucks hire a strong development coaching/staff) and instead for a 6th or 7th sign a rental UFA as there are lots of serviceable options - even a Y Weber type is in the SCF.    Dmen, goalies and power forwards all take more time than other players and though each has their own timetable for development, meaning exceptions happen, the more patience you show these types of players usually leads to higher ceilings and more consistently productive careers.   

Thanks but I'll let benning green and linden be the judge of that.

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Thanks but I'll let benning green and linden be the judge of that.

Uh, as would I given they are the coaching/management group for this team.   I offered what I would do as I thought giving my opinion, which I know, versus their opinion, which I don't, made more sense in a discussion forum.    What they think will be what happens - on that we agree.   

Curious how you got to over 12,000 posts if you don't offer up your opinion on matters and only leave all such to management (?).    Just pointing out that other opinions are of no value as management will make the decisions over 12,000 times?   

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Uh, as would I given they are the coaching/management group for this team.   I offered what I would do as I thought giving my opinion, which I know, versus their opinion, which I don't, made more sense in a discussion forum.    What they think will be what happens - on that we agree.   

Curious how you got to over 12,000 posts if you don't offer up your opinion on matters and only leave all such to management (?).    Just pointing out that other opinions are of no value as management will make the decisions over 12,000 times?   

users forget how a forum is supposed to work all the time around here. Best to ignore it

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wshdrvvn said:

users forget how a forum is supposed to work all the time around here. Best to ignore it

Sounds good - was just surprised to see it from someone who must live on this site given post total.    

44 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh I offer my opinion plenty. However j don't pretend to know what's best for prospects like they're all the same. 

Sorry for singling you out, You're not the only one that does it, but it drives me nuts when people give opinions without the occasional "IMO" Or something similar. 

Goes a long way. 

Edited by 73 Percent

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Oh I offer my opinion plenty. However j don't pretend to know what's best for prospects like they're all the same. 

Sorry for singling you out, You're not the only one that does it, but it drives me nuts when people give opinions without the occasional "IMO" Or something similar. 

Goes a long way. 

I take it you didn't read the part of my note that was "THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS" when I noted that Dmen, Power Forwards and Goalies TYPICALLY take longer to develop.   

And I don't see need for IMO as why on earth would I purport to offer up the opinion of someone else unless, of course, I noted that being the case and then would need to offer up the quote.   I always assume what people say is their opinion unless otherwise noted.    

Insert other media

No need to apologize, just found it odd you wouldn't have assumed that it was simply an opinion and not management speaking and you did add clarity by tacitly acknowledging you didn't notice the "EXCEPTIONS EXIST" part of the post.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I take it you didn't read the part of my note that was "THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS" when I noted that Dmen, Power Forwards and Goalies TYPICALLY take longer to develop.   

And I don't see need for IMO as why on earth would I purport to offer up the opinion of someone else unless, of course, I noted that being the case and then would need to offer up the quote.   I always assume what people say is their opinion unless otherwise noted.    

Insert other media

No need to apologize, just found it odd you wouldn't have assumed that it was simply an opinion and not management speaking and you did add clarity by tacitly acknowledging you didn't notice the "EXCEPTIONS EXIST" part of the post.

Cheers

K man. 

Cheers.

• Upvote 1