The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Problem is, we can only protect 3 D in the upcoming expansion draft. Juolevi is of course exempt, but with Edler requiring protection (as he has an NTC), this leaves us with only 2 guys we can protect of Tanev/Hutton/Gudbranson/Tryamkin. I think we lose a defenseman in the expansion unfortunately. 

I know that Edler has a NTC, but I do think that we will see him moved this year.  With this being the first time there has been an expansion draft in the salary cap era, I think you will see a crazy year of roster reshuffling for most teams.  HIgh end player with term left on there contract can be used as rentals, as they will likely be gone in the expansion draft if unprotected.

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Problem is, we can only protect 3 D in the upcoming expansion draft. Juolevi is of course exempt, but with Edler requiring protection (as he has an NTC), this leaves us with only 2 guys we can protect of Tanev/Hutton/Gudbranson/Tryamkin. I think we lose a defenseman in the expansion unfortunately. 

Hutton and Tryamkin are exempt

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

That hurts. I thought Tryamkin was exempt...you could be right though. This makes me think more about a Tanev trade for a forward return, as much as losing him will hurt, we are not winning the cup in the next few years and losing one of those 4 for nothing sounds awful.

14 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

It has nothing to do with an inferiority complex, I just feel his development would be better suited playing against men if he doesn't make the NHL. Going back to London would be a bit like treading water with all that he's already accomplished.

I'm just saying how he came over in his interview.

6 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Jim Benning got 111 assists in one season for Portland 1980-81.

72 games, 28 goals, 111 assists for 139 points...damn, Jim!

Yeah back when goalies didn't know how to make a save. Give me a modern salary cap example.  Goalies were terrible back then.

Just now, Rush17 said:

Yeah back when goalies didn't know how to make a save. Give me a modern salary cap example.  Goalies were terrible back then.

I wasn't serious Rush.

When you brought up the topic it peaked my interest and I googled it and was shocked to see our Jim there.

I like his vision, I hope he works on his speed, but he makes up for that with his smarts. One thing I noticed in his highlight package is that there isn't even one hit which leads me to believe he's all about positioning and stick checking. It's not flashy but steady. I can see why there are comparisons to Lidstrom.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Last year the top scoring defenseman in the OHL was 

1.Rasmus Andersson with 60 points

2.Cam Dineen with 59 points. (really wanted him with our 3rd)

Juolevi was 13th overall in OHL D scoring

Just now, Cowichan Canuck said:

Last year the top scoring defenseman in the OHL was 

1.Rasmus Andersson with 60 points

2.Cam Dineen with 59 points. (really wanted him with our 3rd)

Juolevi was 13th overall in OHL D scoring

Don't  forget the fact this was his 1st season on small ice

24 minutes ago, BCNate said:

The NHL, or other teams fans on message boards? 

Ive been all over the message boards and the only fans talking about the Canucks are the tools at calgaryschmuck . com.

But thats not surprising, they dedicate half of their threads to everything Vancouver.  They keep boasting about how their young players are so much better, but fail to recognize they have been sucking the bottom of the barrel for a lot longer than Vancouver has which has allowed them to draft in the top 6 a few times.  Also, if I were them I wouldnt be mocking the Joulevi pick.  Projected top 2 d men are a hell of a lot harder to come by than led footed projected 2nd line wingers. Also, they had to give up a first rounder and 2 second rounders for Dougie Hamilton - their young top 2 dman- and yup that worked out so great for them they were shopping him to move up to number 3 in the draft.

Edited by Darius71

1 minute ago, bp79 said:

Don't  forget the fact this was his 1st season on small ice

I have no problems with Juolevi. I hoestly think if he had a team with less forward scoring depth like Windsor the offense would have run through him more and he would have got more points. It seems like Marner/Dvorak/Tkachuk were in every goal together.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I wasn't serious Rush.

When you brought up the topic it peaked my interest and I googled it and was shocked to see our Jim there.

I had no idea he had that many points lol

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Going forward 3 years, I hope to see this as what we have as our next core.  Obviously players may move up and down, some may be over/ under rated.  We are pretty set in the middle 6, on D, and in goal.  I don't think that there were any forwards at 5 that would have been probable top line forwards (Tkachuk included).  We needed D more than a 2nd liner.  I think this was a very good pick.  I would have rather had Dubois, but Juolevi still fills a big need for us.  We will likely be drafting high enough to get a 1st or 2nd line forward in the next 2 drafts, but maybe not high enough to get a PMD.

xxxxx- xxxx- Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-xxxxx

Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

xxxxx-Granlund-xxxx

xxxx

Tanev

Juolevi

Hutton

Gudbranson

Tryamkin

Demko

Markstrom

AHL/Trade Bait/Depth/Lose to waivers/Wild card type players: Rodin, Cassels, Grenier, Biega, Stecher, Larsen

Essentially we need 2 first liners, a second liner, a top pairing dman, and to fill out the 4th line in order to complete the roster.  With a fair amount of cap space, and a couple of more higher draft picks, we should see this team rounded out in the next two years.  Benning is building from the back out and getting the harder pieces in place first.  If anything, this draft gave us a little more clarity of how he is building this team.  I am in the minority, but I love the work he is doing.

Don't count out Juolevi as that number 1 defenseman because he certainly has the tools to reach there and I believe he will be a number 1 defenseman.

Edited by GettinGuddyWithIt

I think it was surprising to me that Juolevi was drafted at #5, but Benning probably didn't want to take a chance losing him. His list was obviously:

Any of the Top 3

Dubois

Juolevi

It would've been really tough to crack the top 3 as a D in this year's draft. Matthews, Laine and Puljujarvi had that locked up for months. In a weaker draft year, Juolevi may have been in the Top 3. We got a great player.

I don't post a lot on here but I'm gonna say this...

I feel that Juolevi's ceiling as a defenseman is equivalent to the ceilings of Laine and Puljujarvi as forwards.

Olli Juolevi is the best d man in this draft and we got him and he's gonna be great. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Franz Liszt said:

I don't post a lot on here but I'm gonna say this...

I feel that Juolevi's ceiling as a defenseman is equivalent to the ceilings of Laine and Puljujarvi as forwards.

Olli Juolevi is the best d man in this draft and we got him and he's gonna be great. 

Beautiful, couldnt' have said it better myself Franz.

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Going forward 3 years, I hope to see this as what we have as our next core.  Obviously players may move up and down, some may be over/ under rated.  We are pretty set in the middle 6, on D, and in goal.  I don't think that there were any forwards at 5 that would have been probable top line forwards (Tkachuk included).  We needed D more than a 2nd liner.  I think this was a very good pick.  I would have rather had Dubois, but Juolevi still fills a big need for us.  We will likely be drafting high enough to get a 1st or 2nd line forward in the next 2 drafts, but maybe not high enough to get a PMD.

xxxxx- xxxx- Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-xxxxx

Gaunce-Sutter-Virtanen

xxxxx-Granlund-xxxx

xxxx

Tanev

Juolevi

Hutton

Gudbranson

Tryamkin

Demko

Markstrom

AHL/Trade Bait/Depth/Lose to waivers/Wild card type players: Rodin, Cassels, Grenier, Biega, Stecher, Larsen

Essentially we need 2 first liners, a second liner, a top pairing dman, and to fill out the 4th line in order to complete the roster.  With a fair amount of cap space, and a couple of more higher draft picks, we should see this team rounded out in the next two years.  Benning is building from the back out and getting the harder pieces in place first.  If anything, this draft gave us a little more clarity of how he is building this team.  I am in the minority, but I love the work he is doing.

Virtanen will NOT be a third liner and 2nd line is very realistic. Also Horvat can be a 1C. He had more points in his second season than Henrik and Kesler. He has captain material all over him so don't be shocked if he replaces Hank in the future.

We do however need a 1LW depending on how Baertschi develops and a 2C which isn't that hard to find compared to a 1C because I believe in Bo to take that 1C spot!

Edited by GettinGuddyWithIt