The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

18 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Physical?  Why force it.

He could end up playing the defensive side of the game lIke Lidstrom?  Ok let's tone that down. Like Tanev???

But add substantial ability to control the offensive corridor from the point.  With a crafty shot and a willingness to rush the puck.

Plus we will have Tryamkin, Gudbranson, possibly Pedan and maybe even Brisbois for the physical side. If OJ adds the big hit to his game I'll be excited. And he'll at least be big enough to hold his own jousting with forwards in front of our net. I'm not holding my breath for more....

Apparently that's the type of game he plays, cerebral. Much like Lidstrom and Neidermayer. You don't need to be physical to be dominant. What I am surprised about however, was the Nucks saying he needed to gain size and strength - and while that's common for pretty much 95% of draft picks right out of junior (and I can appreciate getting bigger will always help him), when I saw his pictures, he certainly doesn't look 'small' like McCann was physically. He looks like a pretty wide solid kid already.

Edited by Nuckles80

3 minutes ago, Nuckles80 said:

Apparently that's the type of game he plays, cerebral. Much like Lidstrom and Neidermayer. You don't need to be physical to be dominant. What I am surprised about however, was the Nucks saying he needed to gain size and strength - and while that's common for pretty much 95% of draft picks right out of junior (and I can appreciate getting bigger will always help him), when I saw his pictures, he certainly doesn't look 'small' like McCann was physically. He looks like a pretty wide solid kid already.

I think he's already 6'3" and 200 lbs.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Ya, that's not small by any means. Obviously being 'stronger and bigger' will always help but given his game, size can't be a fair argument for the Nucks to send him back. Development, sure but if they use the size argument that will be weak. Tanev was lighter than him in his first 2-3 years and probably still is.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

He was measured at 6'2" and 182lbs at the draft combine, but I don't know how much he's changed since then.

He wasn't exactly small at the combine, but he did have room to gain some weight. I don't think the Canucks were saying that he's weak, just that there's room to get stronger.

25 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Let's face it he's no Gusbranson nor will he be. I expect management wants him to fill out to handle the physical going but he's going to have some back up if he's messed with. 

I expect this guy to be a smart slick player. 

Juolevi even said himself he doesn't want to gain too much weight as that'll affect his quickness. I think he'll be around 6'3 190-195lbs during his career, same weight as a few notables like Hamhuis, Doughty, Keith, Maata, Hjalmarsson who's a perfect example (6'3 197), etc. The current weight he's at right now or was up until the draft was 179 which is quite skinny for a 6'3 guy. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Juolevi even said himself he doesn't want to gain too much weight as that'll affect his quickness. I think he'll be around 6'3 190-195lbs during his career, same weight as a few notables like Hamhuis, Doughty, Keith, Maata, Hjalmarsson who's a perfect example (6'3 197), etc. The current weight he's at right now or was up until the draft was 179 which is quite skinny for a 6'3 guy. 

Someone above said he's now around 200lbs. Now that may not be correct, but if you look at even his draft pictures there is no way he was 6'3 and 179. I was 6'1 175 at that age and was much 'skinnier' than he looks. He is at least above 190lbs for sure.

At that height, if he was only 179 it would be very 'noticable' almost how skinny RNH looked when he was drafted and still does. That height with that weight would be obvious. In fact if you look at his neck and shoulders you can tell he's not that light

Image result for olli juolevi

Edited by Nuckles80

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Hamhuis has played most of his career from 205 to 212 lbs.  Currently listed as 209 & he does not have the height, or shoulders of Olli.

In his prime Juolevi will probably be in the weight scales similar to Edler is my guess.Who does not look big and muscular, at all, at 212. He has played at as much as 216 by memory to also note. Maybe 205 lbs if he stays ultra lean.

• Upvote 1

Even through time one looses some hight. I was 6'5 early ,13,running about 175 for what seemed for ever. I played a lot of sports and did everything to gain weight  Lifting weights, stringent diet from school. Zippo. When I turned 20 that changed, I kept the regiment up and then bs to start keeping it down. Ones body changes as time goes on. We need too understand that drafting young players. They're not done growing. 

Juolevi could be much larger than he is now along with a lot other draftees

IIRC Olli Juolevi and a few other London Knights did not participate in some Draft Combine festivities.

(SOURCE: http://thehockeywriters.com/2016-combine-heights-weights)

I think the numbers that we have are definitely prior to the combine and are likely at start of the season or from mid-season. Those numbers range but depending on the site it is relatively safe to say that at that time he is between 6'2" to 6'3" in height and weighs somewhere between 179 lbs to 182 lbs.

(SOURCE: ISS Hockey, The Hockey Writers, The Hockey News, Elite Prospects, Hockey's Future)

I read or heard somewhere that Juolevi, during the season, did weight training and gained as much as 10 lbs. I can't remember where I saw it, BUT an article on Sportsnet from the Draft Combine has Juolevi stating his weight:

“That bike is pretty scary,” said Juolevi. “And also for me, a pretty skinny guy, the bench press is one of the tough ones. I still weigh almost 190 (pounds) but I don’t have big muscles, so it’s pretty scary to go there – especially because I don’t usually do bench presses."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/olli-juolevi-talks-combine-scouting-report-laine-puljujarvi/

So I think it's safe to assume that, with this summer of offseason training coming to a close, he's likely ~6'3" and ~190 lbs. Keep in mind he just turned 18 in May, and still has room too grow. By comparison, in his draft+1 year Brisebois grew 1 inch and gained 10-15 lbs. 

Whatever the case, we'll have a big and very mobile defenseman with excellent puck movement and offensive instincts, and any extra growth is just a bonus... I think anyways haha 

Edited by Blömqvist

6 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

IIRC Olli Juolevi and a few other London Knights did not participate in some Draft Combine festivities.

I think the numbers that we have are definitely prior to the combine and are likely at start of the season or from mid-season. Those numbers range but depending on the site it is relatively safe to say that at that time he is between 6'2" to 6'3" in height and weighs somewhere between 179 lbs to 182 lbs.

(SOURCE: ISS Hockey, The Hockey Writers, The Hockey News, Elite Prospects, Hockey's Future)

I read or heard somewhere that Juolevi, during the season, did weight training and gained as much as 10 lbs. I can't remember where I saw it, BUT an article on Sportsnet from the Draft Combine has Juolevi stating his weight:

So I think it's safe to assume that, with this summer of offseason training coming to a close, he's likely ~6'3" and ~190 lbs. Keep in mind he just turned 18 in May, and still has room too grow. By comparison, in his draft+1 year Brisebois grew 1 inch and gained 10-15 lbs. 

Whatever the case, we'll have a big and very mobile defenseman with excellent puck movement and offensive instincts, and any extra growth is just a bonus... I think anyways haha 

Is he one of those lower body heavy guys like Bo, JV, and Edler?  

On 8/30/2016 at 10:59 AM, TheHockeyNerds said:

Found it pretty interesting Corey pronman has Juolevi as the 14th best prospect. 2nd dman behind Werenski (12) but ahead of Provorov (18)  

I feel slow for bringing this up cuz it was last week's news, but any idea where Sergachev is ranked on this list? Just for giggles lol

9 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Well if he doesn't bench / or hasn't really to date and just started this summer I can see why the Nucks want him to gain strength first.

He clearly wouldn't have the strength to battle men yet regardless of his weight if he hasn't hit the iron hard yet (or much / just starting this offseason)

1 minute ago, Nuckles80 said:

Well if he doesn't bench / or hasn't really to date and just started this summer I can see why the Nucks want him to gain strength first.

He clearly wouldn't have the strength to battle men yet regardless of his weight if he hasn't hit the iron hard yet (or much / just starting this offseason)

Maybe he only does push-ups?  

This guy never lifted; he did push-ups.

image.jpeg

Just now, Nuckles80 said:

lol he doesn't look like that

I'm not saying he does.  I'm saying bench press is not necessary for building muscle and strength.  That's a picture of Hershel Walker.  I think he was 50+ in that picture.  

This is him training for football, doing push-ups. 

Alf does push-ups too. :lol:

image.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not saying he does.  I'm saying bench press is not necessary for building muscle and strength.  That's a picture of Hershel Walker.  I think he was 50+ in that picture.  

This is him training for football, doing push-ups. 

Alf does push-ups too. :lol:

image.jpeg

I know the story but I'm pretty sure Olly is not at that stage of physical development dude