The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

24 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Wth Jim! What do you mean there is no time line? No other teams in the nhl will not know of a time line of a injured player!

hire someone that knows the answer you fool!  If he’s out for the season just say so you moron !

what if he doesn't have a medical degree and can't tell you the prognosis?

44 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

If OJ becomes a prime Hamhuis I would be ecstatic

If OJ can get to the NHL in one piece I would be ecstatic. Dude is missing lots of time, important development time no less. I am hopeful it's not serious and he'll be on the ice again relatively soon. I still believe he can play in the NHL now but these injuries are setting him back time and time again.

I mean, at this point if he turns into anything it'll kind of be like finding a $50 in your pants pocket while doing laundry. But relying on OJ to be a top 4 dman is no longer an option for the organization. A potential top 4 D prospect needs to be added by the draft.

Let the kid go do his thing. Let him get to 100% health, then work him extremely hard until he's 200% healthy. Then and only then should he touch the ice, clearly something needs to change in his rehabbing, conditioning and likely preparation. This is not working.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Does start making one wonder if this kid will ever play in the NHL.  Constant setbacks.  I hope for the best but it is hard not to think about other D we could have got at that spot.

Oh well.....

Edit: ....and yes I know all our picks can't be superstar picks like Petey and Hughes.

I don’t think people dog on it because he won’t make it. I think that people are sour towards this pick because there was about 10 better picks at the point, 5 of them were D-men. Generally top 5 overall should be allstars by the time they’re 24. 

This is Rodin2.0. But I guess sometimes everyone swings and misses. 

8 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

It’s interesting that they felt the need to include this new injury is unrelated to the knee.  My guess is they were trying to mitigate concern. Clearly they don’t understand the Canucks fan complex. 

JB said it’s not related to the recent surgically repaired knee.  My money is it’s his other knee that’s injured now.  Love OJ’s size and skill, but seriously doubt he ever plays for us.  

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I don’t think people dog on it because he won’t make it. I think that people are sour towards this pick because there was about 10 better picks at the point, 5 of them were D-men. Generally top 5 overall should be allstars by the time they’re 24. 

This is Rodin2.0. But I guess sometimes everyone swings and misses. 

The problem with that pick is it wasn't a swing. Many of us wanted a swing, JB probably couldn't have missed if he'd actually taken a swing. What we got was a safe bunt from a GM that hadn't proven much at the time and was really needing a win. OJ was dubbed a safe pick likely to have a long career. It just so happened to be exactly the time to not play it safe. This was at a time when the organization hadn't seen a fast skating, dynamic elite talent in a very long time.

It was a fundamental difference of the kind of hockey many of us wanted to see. In JB's defence, he has yet to play it safe again and obviously we all know how he answered back the very next year with EP40 mic drop.

I'm not writing OJ off, but he also can't be looked at as a sure thing anymore. Injuries matter.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

and people were disappointed with Edler and Tanev always being hurt, 

He is young still , but he hasn't had much developing since junior either

Maybe it is time to trade a potential forward of ours for a defencemen with potential, as we have more of those forwards than defencemen?

I was thinking the same thing. Our crop of young defenders is significantly weaker than our crop of young forwards. We have a bunch of young defenders that are close to NHL ready in Utica, but none that look like they could make a significant impact if Juolevi continues down this path. 

The question is which one of our young forwards would you want to trade? It would need to be someone with value if we want a good defenseman back. 

3 hours ago, FlyLow_ said:

The problem with that pick is it wasn't a swing. Many of us wanted a swing, JB probably couldn't have missed if he'd actually taken a swing. What we got was a safe bunt from a GM that hadn't proven much at the time and was really needing a win. OJ was dubbed a safe pick likely to have a long career. It just so happened to be exactly the time to not play it safe. This was at a time when the organization hadn't seen a fast skating, dynamic elite talent in a very long time.

It was a fundamental difference of the kind of hockey many of us wanted to see. In JB's defence, he has yet to play it safe again and obviously we all know how he answered back the very next year with EP40 mic drop.

I'm not writing OJ off, but he also can't be looked at as a sure thing anymore. Injuries matter.

Yea, the analysts tend to agree that a player is 90-100% of what they’ll be by age 24. I remember that draft and Tkatchuk was the bpa available. Sergachev was the highest skilled D, but the Canucks felt OJ could add D skills that Sergachev couldn’t. 

I was hesitant to ride the hype train as OJ had played on a London team PP with Tkatchuk, Marner and  a 3rd 1.5ppg player(my memory is escaping me of who but I think it may have been the younger Strome)