The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

From the draft rankings, it's obvious that while OJ was battling for top defense prospect.... there were many other forwards more highly ranked than him.  

Almost every ranking has MT higher ranked than OJ.  

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2016-draft/nhl-draft-rankings/

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with OJ... just unhappy with the cost to draft him.  

not a viable source.  this is just  draft ranking.  Just like in 2017.  Number 5 was who? Vilardi? yea how did that work.

9 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It was just a given at the time. The Canucks had zero defensive prospects (I think Brisebois was our most enticing at the time) with top 4 potential. Benning had stated that entire year that his goal was to start acquiring dmen in the pool because of how our forward crop and goalie crop had taken strides. OJ at 5 was a "safe" pick, but MT had and still obviously has the higher potential. Vancouver drafted it's first dman in the first round since Bourdon, and many were very happy as we needed that blue chip dman. Times have changed, some see MT's success, some see OJ's potential. It's still very early but an interesting narrative nevertheless.

Benning stated in 2015 and in 2017 they will like to add more to the defence but went with their traditional bpa.

in 2016 they also went that route but ultimately it's not turning out as well, and as far as I know we revamped our OHL scouting team. 

at this point does anyone have any news?  it's been 6 days since he's been in vancouver, are they going to say anything regarding his condition other then "there is no timeline."  the fans deserve some answers here.  even if its a "hes out for the remainder of the season" that is better then nothing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Does anybody else find it weird that the news came directly from Benning? If it was an injury that Juolevi suffered in that game, wouldn't Cull or Johnson be the first to know and relay it to us? Makes me think that they either planned for this re-evaluation period in advance or that it's a significant injury and they had to report to the higher ups in Vancouver immediately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

not a viable source.  this is just  draft ranking.  Just like in 2017.  Number 5 was who? Vilardi? yea how did that work.

The site is just an aggregate of multiple final draft rankings.  Very viable source.  But just in case you want some of the actual sources...

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-final-rankings-in-its-2016-iss-nhl-draft-guide/

http://avalanche.ice.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=112319

It doesn't really matter how the player ends up, it all depends on how much resource was used to get said player relative to their value at the time.  That is the point I'm getting across.  

An example would be the '98 draft... just because Pavel Datsyuk ended up being the best player in that draft, it still doesn't mean that Detroit should have used a 1st rounder on him instead of a 6th rounder.  His value at the time was very low, thus a lower value should be used to get him.  

Tkachuk had a higher value than OJ... so the Canucks should have went BPA.  If they didn't want to go BPA, then they should have traded down.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'm sure if you went even just to 6th overall for each of those, we would see OJ's name a handful of times. It wasn't that much of a reach. MT must've been like slightly better, and the Canucks went with the organizational need. Sure, at 5th overall it might not always be the right move. Then again, not having MT and other people like Nylander/Ehlers, Pastrnak etc... and all our other draft misses, also allowed us to be bad enough to nab EP at 5th OA and Hughes at 7th. I'll take those losses for the wins we eventually got. Because to be honest, I'd rather have Juolevi and Pettersson than Tkachuk and whoever else we would have had to pick instead of EP. 

On the plus note, OJ is far from a bust and will eventually become an NHL calibre dman. He will be found gold now that the entire hope of the fanbase isn't solely on his shoulders, much like it was in 2016. We have Hughes, Woo, Tryamkin, Rathbone and company to help us out. 

...meh

You are reaching saying OJ will be in the NHL. And yeah...I wanted MT more than OJ in that draft but I was fine with what JB picked. Turns out to be the wrong pick pretty clearly.  But Petey and Hughes turned out to be correct picks.

I hope OJ is born again and can actually develop and play in the NHL.

But it does not look good at all as he seems injury prone and has been unable to develop because of it.  

Whatever......

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

The site is just an aggregate of multiple final draft rankings.  Very viable source.  But just in case you want some of the actual sources...

https://www.isshockey.com/iss-hockey-releases-final-rankings-in-its-2016-iss-nhl-draft-guide/

http://avalanche.ice.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=112319

It doesn't really matter how the player ends up, it all depends on how much resource was used to get said player relative to their value at the time.  That is the point I'm getting across.  

An example would be the '98 draft... just because Pavel Datsyuk ended up being the best player in that draft, it still doesn't mean that Detroit should have used a 1st rounder on him instead of a 6th rounder.  His value at the time was very low, thus a lower value should be used to get him.  

Tkachuk had a higher value than OJ... so the Canucks should have went BPA.  If they didn't want to go BPA, then they should have traded down.  

yes we can also pull up the 2017 draft rankings and you can see Pettersson was not in the top 5.  We drafted who we thought was bpa, same process in 2016.  2016 shot us in the nuts.  Obviously as we know Amateur scouting can be tricky.  I hope this will never happen to us again especially being a top 5 pick.

If he is out long term, has recovered by New Year's or February, it's better for OJ to be loaned to Finnish league and develop, let him get caught up when considering that he missed too many games.  Let him get the feel and get him in game shape after 10 games and call him back to finish up AHL season and play in the playoffs.  If it's just short-term, then there's nothing to worry about, might be a month and he can then play again in AHL as soon as he has recovered.  My concern is that he missed too many games for his development.  There still time for OJ to caught up but hopefully that he has enough NHL IQ/skill for him to overcome the injuries.  We'll see how it goes.  

9 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I think we have to think long term with Juolevi and he has the potential to be an ace in the hole so to speak. Just wait until he makes the big club and plays some games with our great young talent.

While Tchapuke is costing Calgary 8-10 million a year (next contract)...we will be paying Oli on an entry level contract...for what will be Edler's smarter replacement...

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

See again, this is the revisionist crap that irks me.

Their 'draft value' was basically at par. Numerous scouts said as much or something along the lines of 'Juolevi would be just as good of a pick there, the only reason he's 1-2 spots lower on most scouts lists is that D are inherently harder to predict/take longer to develop'.

That's it.

People painting the Juolevi pick as a 'reach' or 'not BPA' (at the time) are spewing revisionist horse $&!#.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

See again, this is the revisionist crap that irks me.

Their 'draft value' was basically at par. Numerous scouts said as much or something along the lines of 'Juolevi would be just as good of a pick there, the only reason he's 1-2 spots lower on most scouts lists is that D are inherently harder to predict/take longer to develop'.

That's it.

People painting the Juolevi pick as a 'reach' or 'not BPA' (at the time) are spewing revisionist horse $&!#.

Wasn't there some suggestion that the pre draft interview with Tkapuke was why the Canucks took OJ?  I think we were planning on one of OJ, Tkapuke, and Dubois.  Then, CBJ took Dubois, so JB (because of the interview) took OJ.  OJ is still only 21, so there is no reason why he can't physically mature more, and put the injuries behind him.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't there some suggestion that the pre draft interview with Tkapuke was why the Canucks took OJ?  I think we were planning on one of OJ, Tkapuke, and Dubois.  Then, CBJ took Dubois, so JB (because of the interview) took OJ.  OJ is still only 21, so there is no reason why he can't physically mature more, and put the injuries behind him.  

Shoulda taken Sergachev or macavoy

13 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Shoulda taken Sergachev or macavoy

well we took OJ , no sense in crying over spilt milk, OJ will come back stronger and the non believers will be happily surprised . I for one still believe in OJ and wish him the best in his recovery

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

While Tchapuke is costing Calgary 8-10 million a year (next contract)...we will be paying Oli on an entry level contract...for what will be Edler's smarter replacement...

What about OJ makes you think he could ever be a #1 D like Edler?   Let alone be smarter......

:mellow:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I heard if we had landed Dubois, he would have been traded for Subban. Anyone remember anything about this? 

• Thanks 1