The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

OJ looked pretty solid with Stecher in the scrimmages - I do hope we can find enough common ground to resign Troy.  He's a younger Biega ....  can skate, decent passer, and hits everything that moves just to prove that undersized d men can play in the NHL

Stecher has looked lost *when the icetime really counted* (as in real NHL games) since Hutton was cast adrift.  While not perfect, those two did have chemistry (with Stecher carrying that pairing).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

IIRC, Rathbone can/has played right side before. Perhaps an eventual (post Edler/Tanev) 2nd pair of Juolevi-Rathbone?

They'd make a good complimentary pair IMO if Rathbone works on the right.

Still a question mark of who's Hughes partner will be long term but something like:

Hughes, _____

Juolevi, Rathbone

Brisebois, Rafferty (eventually giving way to Woo)

I think Woo has the potential to be a very good top 4 d-man and I would go so far as to say he could be an excellent compliment on the top pair with Hughes long term. Very much like Seabrook used to be in Chicago alongside Keith. A tough, 2-way guy that will be able to add to the offense but also keep guys in line if they go after Hughes.

• Cheers 3

The progress is encouraging and more than I expected. With that said, I don't think he should be in the starting lineup for the play-ins. He would be playing sheltered minutes at best behind Hughes and Edler. I'd say just let him carry the positive momentum into next training camp where he could take Fantenberg's spot on the bottom pairing. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

All the progress is promising. It sounds like the time off with Covid is one of the very few silver linings this year. It really allowed him to get back on track and he'll have another off-season to prepare for a potential roster spot next year.

For the first time in a long-time we can actually be excited for OJ

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

All the progress is promising. It sounds like the time off with Covid is one of the very few silver linings this year. It really allowed him to get back on track and he'll have another off-season to prepare for a potential roster spot next year.

For the first time in a long-time we can actually be excited for OJ

For both him and Ferland I'm just hoping they stay healthy and make use of any playing time.
Any strong performances would be gravy IMO as both would be depth (Olli behind Hughes and Edler, Ferland likely on a 3rd line role)

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Seider was my pick at 10 heading into last year's draft. What could have been. :P

shocking. I got lit up on these forums for Suggesting JB take Sieder who at the time was ranked in the 20's. Though I also never imagined Putzgoalsin would be available to us.

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Haven't seen a tonne of Olli play, but do see some Edler in him. Maybe his demeanor with interviews, as well? Seems to fit that N Euro,big-bodied, yet soft-spoken D. Betting Alex will be an excellent mentor, handing off his torch to his heir-apparent. Should he go on to replicate #23's career, we'd all have to be pretty pleased.

With QH's dynamic style, the Canucks would prob prefer OJ becomes a dependable, 20-30 pt, smart & solid D-man. Bet that fits his personality too. A team needs such balance on the blueline, & it fits in well within an overall cap structure.

The injuries have certainly hampered his progress, but I bet this profile of player prob needs to get into his young 20's to really start asserting himself(on the pro scene)

Olli is exceptional at getting pucks to the net through traffic. I love the Edler comp it is one I use quite often myself. Hopefully he hits less shin pads :lol:.  I can see him maybe maintaining Edler's high point rate of 50 maybe over a few more seasons then Eagle did. But that may also be a factor he will likely have a more balanced offensive team with our constant injection of future youth coming in to replace over priced players. It's gonna be a sad day when Pearson walks into free agency but its nice knowing we have Hoglander and Podkolzin here when that happens. I don't see a situation where we re-sign Pearson. Toffoli on the other hand fits an org need on the right side and his scoring skill should remain competitive for years to come. 

This is an olli juolevi chat tho. Enough with Pearson and other forwards :D I am excited to see what he can do when he is ready. 

Edited by Rush17
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Kid is going to be worth the wait.  OJ will be a top 4 D on a ELC right when we need him.  I expect him to crack the NHL roster at some point next season, and be a key part of our team moving forward the season after.  His transition game is outstanding.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Kid is going to be worth the wait.  OJ will be a top 4 D on a ELC right when we need him.  I expect him to crack the NHL roster at some point next season, and be a key part of our team moving forward the season after.  His transition game is outstanding.

He is on year 2 of his ELC right now.  Becomes an RFA end of next season

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

More likely scenario is that he will become a cheap bottom pairing pucking moving D for the Canucks, which the team needs in the long run to support Hughes and Rathbone on the left side. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

More likely scenario is that he will become a cheap bottom pairing pucking moving D for the Canucks, which the team needs in the long run to support Hughes and Rathbone on the left side. 

Movin on up from the bust label at least. One step at a time.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 7/26/2020 at 2:51 PM, Top Cheddar said:

shocking. I got lit up on these forums for Suggesting JB take Sieder who at the time was ranked in the 20's. Though I also never imagined Putzgoalsin would be available to us.

Don't worry I also was suggesting we take Seider at the time.

• Cheers 1

Not sure if anyone has benefitted from this weird season more than Olli... he gets some much needed recovery time and an extra camp with the big club.  

I’m not going to say he’s a lock to be back on track as a second pairing guy... but I’m a lot more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago.  Should be great competition between him and Rathbone next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1