The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The fact that we have Rathbone and OJ as competition for a top 6 spot next year bodes well for our future at LD.

It doesn't bode well for a guy like Brisebois or Saunter though but that's a good problem.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Juolevi, Brisebois and Rathbone get spots on the Canucks next year and rotate in the top 6. Rathbone and Juolevi both spending time in the AHL to mature.

I really think one of Hughes, Juolevi or Rathbone will eventually move to the right side to ensure these 3 will get the ice time they will deserve. My guess is that Hughes will be the one that moves to the right side and will pair up with either Rathbone or Juolevi.

“I feel just as comfortable on the right as I do on the left,” said Hughes. “There’s positives and negatives to both. If I’m a rightie on the blue line, I can just walk in on my forehand. if I’m a leftie, I have to skate over. I don’t know if I explained that the best, but trust me, there’s positives and negatives to both.”

• Cheers 3
  • Haha 1

I'm really rooting for him, in fact I'm expecting him to make the cut and start in the bigs next season 

If it's between him and Rathbone I think they'll let Rathbone get a taste of the pros at a lower level unless he really blows coaching and management away 

Edited by Coconuts

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm really rooting for him, in fact I'm expecting him to make the cut and start in the bigs next season 

If it's between him and Rathbone I think they'll let Rathbone get a taste of the pros at a lower level unless he really blows coaching and management away 

Rathbone is 1 year younger than Juolevi and has arguably already demonstrated he is a more developed and NHL ready D man than Juolevi.

It will be interesting to see which one pulls ahead.

Finally a good problem to have with our Canucks as we rarely have had a number of good D man prospects (or very young D) at the same time (Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi).

• Wat 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

The Juolevi-Rathbone comparison is interesting, if only because the NCAA has proven in recent years to be a great springboard straight into the NHL, which is why I’m not so sure Rathbone needs seasoning in the AHL to make the jump to the big leagues.

I hope they give both players an equal opportunity to compete for a spot next year. 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/ben-kuzma-juolevis-jump-sends-canucks-roster-message-to-left-shot-blueliners?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1595887495

Seems the past few weeks the overall tone surrounding Olli has started to become far more optimistic than pessimistic.

Happy to hear Olli finally getting some good bounces his way. 

We're seeing what looks like a transformation because, like the article says, Juolevi has had injuries the last 2 years and hasn't been able to train properly.  This is the first camp in 2 years that he has arrived fully fit having been able to prepare and train properly.  It's great that he's back on our radar.

Future left side could be Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

Rathbone is 1 year younger than Juolevi and has arguably already demonstrated he is a more developed and NHL ready D man than Juolevi.

It will be interesting to see which one pulls ahead.

Finally a good problem to have with our Canucks as we rarely have had a number of good D man prospects (or very young D) at the same time (Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi).

I'm not sure, having pro experience definitely helps Juolevi I think. It'll be fun to see what both guys bring to training camp. 

It's a nice problem for sure, we definitely don't often have many great D prospects in the pool. 

BPA is the way to go I think, but at this year's draft if it's really close between picking one prospect or the other I'm hoping we pick D. Particularly because we picked nothing but forwards and a goaltender last year. Though we've done a pretty good job at bringing in guys like Rafferty and Teves to offset things a bit. I expect we'll give Jersey our first this season, and we're already without out second because of the Toffoli trade, I'm hoping JB finds a way to get us more picks. 

But back to Juolevi, it's nice to hear optimism and positive things regarding his game as of late. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

Lots of good conversation on here about Juolevi.

And after watching Tor/Mon right now I am more excited than I thought I would be to get back into hockey in late July/August lol.

The NHL has done a great job with the covering over the lower bowl seats in the arena. I barely notice it.  Totally excited for the Canucks to play now!!!!

Putting Hughes on the right side is a questionable choice. Years back the #1 D fro the Canucks was Dennis Kearns. They didn't have coverage for the Right side and moved Kearns to his off side  ( right) the result was they lost a quality LH defender and had a questionable RH defender, over all they lost. Kearns lasted with the experiment for a couple of games before they moved him back. On the other hand Lumme revelled playing his off side. It's an experiment

On 7/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, GoCanucks16 said:

Rathbone is more NHL ready than Juolevi.

What would make you think that? Based off experience, Olli has played pro hockey in the AHL against men. Rathbone has only played against college kids. Based off experience alone Juolevi seems more NHL ready then Rathbone. Before his injury Juolevi was playing very well in the AHL.

• Thanks 1

Honestly I haven't thought much of OJ since that Penticton camp years ago. (not impressed) But I'm glad he finally gets a legit opportunity to show what he can do. Still wait n see for me, but I hope he's hunting for bear when he's out there and shows a nice high compete level. 

• Thanks 1