The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

My initial reaction was disappointment and honestly I still am to a certain degree. After finally coming to terms with losing out on the top 3 and getting excited about getting PLD or MT, the kind of forwards the Canucks need, the pick was bit of a shocker and it doesn't help seeing the damn oilers get rewarded yet again for sucking hard.  

That being said, I have little insight on Juolevi and I do trust Bennings judgement so I'm going to be as optimistic as I can. If Juolevi reaches his potential or at least close to it then the canucks will have a player teams would bend over to trade for. The drawback to defenseman is they take longer to develop so it sucks that we likely won't see him for a long time, kind of like a shiny new toy your parents put away till your older. 

Edited by JC2
  • Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

That is if Juolevi does become a PMD. Defense is really hard to gauge in scouting unless you are Doughty or Ekblad and that's probably the reason why Jones dropped in his draft year. 

As least Tkachuck is apparently NHL ready and you already expect some elite scoring from him.

Just bummed Canucks went from being 3rd last to dropping to the 5th overall to having a chance of drafting a player that was seen as someone that dropped but could have been the 3rd overall according to some scouts. To drafting a player that is probably 6 and 7 in most rankings. Isn't the #1 rule in drafting in the 1st round is to get the BPA?

Fixed that for you. Tkachuk will get some dirty goals, but no guarantee he ever gets to an elite level scoring around the net.

With Dubs gone at 3, I was hoping for him or the Russian D.  Happy with this pick for sure!

Tkachuk would've been nice too but with Jake already in the fold and Brock also in the mix I'm not sure we need another scoring winger, whereas teams win by having elite defensemen, and Olli's been compared to Ekman-Larsson and Hampus Lindholm.  If he's that good I think the team will take a big step forward.

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

YouTube the WJC game where the Fins beat Canada. Juolevi played like a god as a 17 year old. That's the game when I was sold on him. Since then he's won WJC gold and a memorial cup. He reminds me of Scotty Neidermyer with his elite skating and superior hockey IQ

If he's that good why was he ranked below Tkachuck and Alex Nylander? Both are wingers so if Juolevi is that good as a PMD wouldn't he have been ranked higher?

4 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

YouTube the WJC game where the Fins beat Canada. Juolevi played like a god as a 17 year old. That's the game when I was sold on him. Since then he's won WJC gold and a memorial cup. He reminds me of Scotty Neidermyer with his elite skating and superior hockey IQ

When you compare him to Scott Neiermayer, you might as well say Bobby Orr though...I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

I'm usually always hating on Benning but I can't fault him for this pick. I'm just really glad he didn't pick Tkachuk.

Juolevi is calm and thrives with his decision-making. The guy hasn't even filled out his frame. Not a bad pick.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Scary? It's fine if you don't like the pick but the guy has off the charts IQ and skating. Best Dman at WJC and won the memorial cup. Tkatchuk is good but his skating needs work and wingers can be had in free agency.

By default, I hate drafting D men. But I welcome the encouragement. Your post helps

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Qwags said:

For the record, Edmonton also skipped on Tkachuk, and we got a solid defenceman, an organizational need. Benning knows what he's doing.

They skipped on Tkachuk because Columbus is run by monkey's.

They take Tkachuk if Puljujarvi doesn't fall on their lap like a lottery winning ticket.

Just now, guntrix said:

I'm usually always hating on Benning but I can't fault him for this pick. I'm just really glad he didn't pick Tkachuk.

Juolevi is calm and thrives with his decision-making. The guy hasn't even filled out his frame. Not a bad pick.

was Juo the BPA after Chucky ?

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

With Dubs gone at 3, I was hoping for him or the Russian D.  Happy with this pick for sure!

Tkachuk would've been nice too but with Jake already in the fold and Brock also in the mix I'm not sure we need another scoring winger.

Tkachuk is almost 2 PPG player in the Juniors and shows he can play in the playoffs, Virtanen is a PPG and Boeser a little over a PPG. You can't get enough scoring especially at the insane production he has. 

12 minutes ago, Karlsson`s Flo said:

2009 NHL Draft.

Kings select Brayden Schenn at 5th overall

Coyotes select Oliver Ekman-Larson at 6th overall

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Yea, for sure. Juolevis stats say he's offensively impressive. Now to look up OEL.

EDIT: Cool, I'm a bit happier.

Edited by Western Red
stuuf