The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, wildcam said:

Come on Boeser 23, McCann 24, Demko 35, Gaudette 148, Briesbois 66, Rathbone 95, Madden 68, Woo 37, Tryamkin 66, Forsling 136, Lockwood 64,Lind 21, Gadjovich,  there are more but there only 20 - 21 so still early, Benning and group have done great...Some year no players played a NHL game in a draft year...Look between 2000 - 2013? No excuses you should have 2 or 3 players from a draft year?? Go look zero in some of the canucks draft years?

2000 = zero

2002 = zero 

2007 = Zero

2009 = Zero

2011 = Zero - one guy played 76 games

2013 = 1 player

Poor poor drafting go to draft data base....

Cool. It still doesn't make Horvat a Benning pick because it fits the narrative you want.

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Cool. It still doesn't make Horvat a Benning pick because it fits the narrative you want.

He was obviously responding to the AJ post you were quoting, and didn't notice your insignificant little quibble at the bottom. Was that really not obvious to you?

11 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I hope Joulevi plays.  

He has a history of playing well in big games,

2016 gold medal game

2016 Memorial cup game.

2017 playoffs, was his team best skater, he was better then Mete and out played Sergechev in their first round.

Top 3 scorer in the playoffs for his team in the playoffs Finnish league.

Nice problem to have.

I've really liked Fantenburg this year - excellent puck movement, solid defensive positioning, and some valuable added grit on the blueline (more than I expected of him) - but OJ looked great stepping in and may already be as good an option.

Imo he has been prematurely forgotten amongst the relative wealth of other prospects.  I still think he'll be a critical player in the future of the franchise - hopefully he can keep the Swedish blueline lineage = Ohlund, Edler, OJ - alive.

But usually this team's blueline is decimated- whereas presently they have the luxury of guys like Fanta and OJ in the 6/7, and Benn in the 8 spot = pretty good depth heading into a playoff round.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Nice problem to have.

I've really liked Fantenburg this year - excellent puck movement, solid defensive positioning, and some valuable added grit on the blueline (more than I expected of him) - but OJ looked great stepping in and may already be as good an option.

Imo he has been prematurely forgotten amongst the relative wealth of other prospects.  I still think he'll be a critical player in the future of the franchise - hopefully he can keep the Swedish blueline lineage = Ohlund, Edler, OJ - alive.

But usually this team's blueline is decimated- whereas presently they have the luxury of guys like Fanta and OJ in the 6/7, and Benn in the 8 spot = pretty good depth heading into a playoff round.

OJ is a Finn, but his demeanor does remind me of all the Swedes on the team :lol:

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

OJ is a Finn, but his demeanor does remind me of all the Swedes on the team :lol:

Damn, how could I forget that?  

Not a mistake a Finn would take kindly.

Still - I think of him as an Ohlund/Edler successor....:bigblush:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

He was obviously responding to the AJ post you were quoting, and didn't notice your insignificant little quibble at the bottom. Was that really not obvious to you?

Why are you so upset at my insignificant little quibble? 

It was nice to see OJ get some time in Game 4 against the Wild but I really doubt he will get in again except for injury.  My guess is Benn draws in once he's cleared and he would be ahead of both Fantenberg and OJ.  Benn's size and ability to play a physical game should be a strong addition and makes him a better option than either Fantenberg or OJ IMHO.

Fantenberg is not flashy but he is effective and can do that in more minutes than the Canucks were clearly comfortable giving to OJ.  Fantenberg also plays a physical game that should be better suited against the Blues.

I think OJ will be given every opportunity to play in the NHL next season but for now, it's good to have him gelling with the team at practice and off the ice.  He's a great wildcard to have if the Canucks run into injuries on the blueline or if they play a team where OJ's offensive upside might make him a better fit than either Benn or Fantenberg (but I doubt this will happen).

I'm basically just glad to see that OJ's even getting a serious look by management and coaching staff right now.  It's been a rough few years since OJ was drafted but I'm still hopeful he can be a solid part of the blueline from next season on.

I was somewhat upset during the 2016 draft when they drafted this guy, but seeing his development had me excited as the years went by. Even during his debut last game, he actually played really well. I'm very excited to see what the future holds. He could still turn out to be a great player for us.

50 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I really doubt he will get in again except for injury.

That is fair. He is the spare D.

I wonder how Benn felt about leaving his wife and baby? To quarantine for 2 weeks to enter the bubble. To arrive where he was not playing anyway?  

Has Benn re joined the team?  

I also agree with another of your points.  It would be very interesting to see if OJ could steal time from Jordie if he were here.

36 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

That is fair. He is the spare D.

I wonder how Benn felt about leaving his wife and baby? To quarantine for 2 weeks to enter the bubble. To arrive where he was not playing anyway?  

Has Benn re joined the team?  

I also agree with another of your points.  It would be very interesting to see if OJ could steal time from Jordie if he were here.

Jordie is still in quarantine.  We'll have to wait and see if Green puts him in the lineup once he's cleared to play.  

18 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Just saying how many NHL players this group is drafting and in later rounds?Someone said it was because Benning was drafting early???

Not at all, just Hughes, Pettersson and Juolevi were top 10 picks...Juolevi will be a # 4 D man soon enough...

2013 draft only 1 NHL player from this draft year, Horvat and Gillis drafted him???? What is your point?

Go to the site Database and click draft? you will see for yourself how awful drafting was before 2014..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Just saying how many NHL players this group is drafting and in later rounds?Someone said it was because Benning was drafting early???

Not at all, just Hughes, Pettersson and Juolevi were top 10 picks...Juolevi will be a # 4 D man soon enough...

2013 draft only 1 NHL player from this draft year, Horvat and Gillis drafted him???? What is your point?

Go to the site Database and click draft? you will see for yourself how awful drafting was before 2014..

Gillis was in charge of 6 drafts from 2008-2013.  Out of those 6 drafts only 6 players out of the 37 players drafted played more than 100 games in the NHL.

Dave Nonis wasn’t much better.  In 2007 he drafted 6 players. NONE of them ever played a game in the NHL...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Big Red Monster said:

I was somewhat upset during the 2016 draft when they drafted this guy, but seeing his development had me excited as the years went by. Even during his debut last game, he actually played really well. I'm very excited to see what the future holds. He could still turn out to be a great player for us.

Replacement for Edler. He had a very slow development too

1 hour ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Replacement for Edler. He had a very slow development too

Somewhat, but they had very different starts. Juolevi was 5th overall, Edler was 91st. Despite that, Juolevi is playing his first NHL games at 22 and Edler played his first at just 20 years old. By the time Edler was Juolevi's current age, he had played 97 games and scored 9 NHL goals and was just about to break out, scoring 37 points in 2008-09.

Not saying Edler was a rocket out of the gate like Hughes, but I wouldn't categorize him as a particularly slow starter, at least not nearly as slow as Juolevi.

This also isn't to disparage Juolevi, as I'm excited by what I've seen so far.

• Upvote 3

Edler had a great early start to his career which definitely set some sky-high expectations for fans. It was a treat to see a 3rd round pick excel and play above his draft position and truly exceed all expectations with a 14(!!!!) season career nearing 1000 games by the end of this contract.

He's done quite well and would definitely be a top 10ish pick in a 2004 redraft. Fun fact - maybe Jannik Hansen would be a late 1st rounder as well? (22nd in points from his draft year)

image.thumb.png.e17d3d73d82874e55955ee0e93b159a7.png

Anyways, besides the Scandinavian heritage, 6'3" 200lb ~ish frame, calm demeanor, unfortunate back (and other) injury issues which took time to recover from, and playing style (to some degree) there's probably not that many comparisons we could draw between Olli Juolevi and Alex Edler.

Too bad, it would be a shame to have another big bodied, high IQ defenseman for the next 10 years putting up 30-50 points, playing in all situations, and giving us another look on LD to complement Hughes.

Jokes aside, I wouldn't be surprised to see Juolevi in the top 10 for his draft year a decade from now, and be a highly valued player, much like Edler has been, his entire career.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

I know it's not a huge difference but Edler made his NHL debut as a 20,

Oli Juolevi literally just turned 22 couple months and maybe would have made his NHL debut as a 21 year old? who knows, i'm glad the coach is confident in him.

HIs 18 games all of last year in the AHL was a huge development slow down and it was all played in 2018.