The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Somewhat, but they had very different starts. Juolevi was 5th overall, Edler was 91st. Despite that, Juolevi is playing his first NHL games at 22 and Edler played his first at just 20 years old. By the time Edler was Juolevi's current age, he had played 97 games and scored 9 NHL goals and was just about to break out, scoring 37 points in 2008-09.

Not saying Edler was a rocket out of the gate like Hughes, but I wouldn't categorize him as a particularly slow starter, at least not nearly as slow as Juolevi.

This also isn't to disparage Juolevi, as I'm excited by what I've seen so far.

Edler came out of northern Sweden and was unheard of. Gradin gets a call from a friend to come and look at this young defenseman and does, the rest is history. Gradin had a great playing career with the Canucks but I would argue his scouting has done just as much for the franchise. Totally agree with you that Edler was hardly a slow starter.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Edler came out of northern Sweden and was unheard of. Gradin gets a call from a friend to come and look at this young defenseman and does, the rest is history. Gradin had a great playing career with the Canucks but I would argue his scouting has done just as much for the franchise. Totally agree with you that Edler was hardly a slow starter.  

Yeah, it may have taken a while for Eddie's point production to pick up, but from the first time he stepped on NHL ice, he looked calm, cool, confident and competent. Kinda like OJ does. Much like Myers, at times in his career Eddie has looked somewhat disappointing only because the beginning of his NHL career started so strongly.

16 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

It was nice to see OJ get some time in Game 4 against the Wild but I really doubt he will get in again except for injury.  My guess is Benn draws in once he's cleared and he would be ahead of both Fantenberg and OJ.  Benn's size and ability to play a physical game should be a strong addition and makes him a better option than either Fantenberg or OJ IMHO.

Fantenberg is not flashy but he is effective and can do that in more minutes than the Canucks were clearly comfortable giving to OJ.  Fantenberg also plays a physical game that should be better suited against the Blues.

I think OJ will be given every opportunity to play in the NHL next season but for now, it's good to have him gelling with the team at practice and off the ice.  He's a great wildcard to have if the Canucks run into injuries on the blueline or if they play a team where OJ's offensive upside might make him a better fit than either Benn or Fantenberg (but I doubt this will happen).

I'm basically just glad to see that OJ's even getting a serious look by management and coaching staff right now.  It's been a rough few years since OJ was drafted but I'm still hopeful he can be a solid part of the blueline from next season on.

Agree that this is what will happen, even though I'd like to see Juolevi in.  Besides injury, the one thing that might change the picture is if our D comes under heavy forecheck pressure that neither Fantenberg or Benn can withstand.  In that case, Juolevi's superior passing skills might get him in the lineup, but the coaching staff might also see it as throwing him to the wolves.  So yeah, not going to happen.  Too bad, but if they're being careful with Gaudette getting in over his head they will be even more so with Juolevi.

16 hours ago, Big Red Monster said:

I was somewhat upset during the 2016 draft when they drafted this guy, but seeing his development had me excited as the years went by. Even during his debut last game, he actually played really well. I'm very excited to see what the future holds. He could still turn out to be a great player for us.

Maybe he turns out to be a Ryan Murray type player for Vancouver. Effective when he's healthy but that's a big IF 

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

Just saying how many NHL players this group is drafting and in later rounds?Someone said it was because Benning was drafting early???

Not at all, just Hughes, Pettersson and Juolevi were top 10 picks...Juolevi will be a # 4 D man soon enough...

2013 draft only 1 NHL player from this draft year, Horvat and Gillis drafted him???? What is your point?

Go to the site Database and click draft? you will see for yourself how awful drafting was before 2014..

My point is that Mike Gillis drafted Bo Horvat. I agree with the point that drafting under Gillis was terrible and significantly improved under Benning, but you can't make things up to fit the narrative. 

13 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

My point is that Mike Gillis drafted Bo Horvat. I agree with the point that drafting under Gillis was terrible and significantly improved under Benning, but you can't make things up to fit the narrative. 

Not making nothing up? Go to Hockey data base draft? look at drafting of Vancouver Canucks?

My point is about how many players make the NHL from each draft year??? A good draft year would be  to have 3 NHL  players from  a draft year?

Point lots of year zero players made the NHL...(2000- 2002 -2007- 2009  Zero players played in NHL)  2011, 1 player played 75 games,

2013 - 1 player Horvat

Benning and ground are producing players each year and more then 1 player..

2014 -- 5 NHL players..

Sorry if you miss understand the post.

Someone said drafing is good because there drafting early? Boeser 23 - McCann 24 - Demko 35 - Gaudette 5th round, Rathbone 4th rounder, Dipietro 3r round,

Lockwood 3 round, Tyramkin 3rd round , Forsling 5th rounder, Briesbois 3rd rounder, Madden 3rd rd, Woo 2nd rounder, Lind 2nd rounder, Gadjovich, 3rd rounder,  several player are under 21 so there will be lots more....Not talking about top 10 picks-- Hughs 7th, Pettersson 5th, Juolevi 5th, Podkolzin10th, Jake 6th

So just saying drafting has been very good...

Edited by wildcam

11 hours ago, wildcam said:

Not making nothing up? Go to Hockey data base draft? look at drafting of Vancouver Canucks?

My point is about how many players make the NHL from each draft year??? A good draft year would be  to have 3 NHL  players from  a draft year?

Point lots of year zero players made the NHL...(2000- 2002 -2007- 2009  Zero players played in NHL)  2011, 1 player played 75 games,

2013 - 1 player Horvat

2014 -- 5 NHL players..

Someone said drafing is good because there drafting early? Boeser 23 - McCann 24 - Demko 35 - Gaudette 5th round, Rathbone 4th rounder, Dipietro 3r round,

Lockwood 3 round, Tyramkin 3rd round , Forsling 5th rounder, Briesbois 3rd rounder, Madden 3rd rd, Woo 2nd rounder, Lind 2nd rounder, Gadjovich, 3rd rounder,  several player are under 21 so there will be lots more....Not talking about top 10 picks-- Hughs 7th, Pettersson 5th, Juolevi 5th, Podkolzin10th, Jake 6th

Cool. He didn't pick Horvat though.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, wildcam said:

2013 - 1 player Horvat

2014 -- 5 NHL players..

There's no question that benning's drafting has been good, but there's two things that need context around it.

1) Quality matters.  The goal of drafting is to make the team better so that we can win a cup.  That's great he drafted Tryamkin, Forsling, McCann, but all we have left to show for it is Pearson.  Also take into consideration, since benning has started he has had 11 of his picks play an NHL game.  Oilers in that same time frame have had 10.  Leafs have 12, Columbus and bruins each have 16,   Further more, Gillis had 14 players play in the NHL that he had drafted in his 6 years, which comes to an average of 2.33 player per draft. (really 2010 was a write off as our first pick wasn't until 114th. so he did that in 5 years'ish). He did that while only having 7 top 50 picks. 

2) You can't really credit players not in the NHL as good picks yet.  Remember when everyone thought cassels was going to be a shutdown NHLers because he played well against mcDavid.  Listing a bunch of unproven draft picks doesn't really bring to the table, every team has promising players in their system. 

• Wat 1

On 8/10/2020 at 9:35 PM, Derp... said:

I actually think the opposite. I think Green and Benning know that they need Olli to be a part of this core, and getting him playoff experience is going to be huge. Benn and Fanta are spare parts, but they believe in Olli, and want him to grow with this group in this experience. I say he gets a look in game 1, and if he does well, then they might just keep him in. 

I was wrong and I don't care. Great win by the guys tonight and Fanta played well!!

28 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I was wrong and I don't care. Great win by the guys tonight and Fanta played well!!

I think just being around the team during the playoffs is helpful for him. You learn players tendencies and the teams systems. Coaches weed out the bad tendencies and help round out your game. You practice with NHLers and are in game-like scenarios with NHLers. Sometimes you play and see how far you come.

Being around the team paid huge dividends for MacEwen rather than playing in the AHL. Dude's totally bought in and is playing good hockey.

In this case you could say being around the team will greatly benefit OJ come next training-camp.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Fanta, when he's played so far has been quite good. I wanna see him shoot more when he gets a chance. Fanta has a bomb of a shot

Slegr had a bomb of a shot as well, but none of his teammates that play in front of the net wanted him to shoot more.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think just being around the team during the playoffs is helpful for him. You learn players tendencies and the teams systems. Coaches weed out the bad tendencies and help round out your game. You practice with NHLers and are in game-like scenarios with NHLers. Sometimes you play and see how far you come.

Being around the team paid huge dividends for MacEwen rather than playing in the AHL. Dude's totally bought in and is playing good hockey.

In this case you could say being around the team will greatly benefit OJ come next training-camp.

MacEwen paid his dues in Utica and has blossomed in his time there. The AHL has certainly benefitted him. Being around the guys now has helped for sure, but don't discredit AHL time for development. OJ would've have greatly benefitted from the AHL playoffs as well playing big minutes.

But yes OJ will also benefit from this experience going into training camp, but I have no problem as well with him starting in Utica next year in a big role. I could see Brisebois being the extra defender up with the club (needs waivers) which allows OJ to take on the minutes that he had been playing.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

MacEwen paid his dues in Utica and has blossomed in his time there. The AHL has certainly benefitted him. Being around the guys now has helped for sure, but don't discredit AHL time for development. OJ would've have greatly benefitted from the AHL playoffs as well playing big minutes.

But yes OJ will also benefit from this experience going into training camp, but I have no problem as well with him starting in Utica next year in a big role. I could see Brisebois being the extra defender up with the club (needs waivers) which allows OJ to take on the minutes that he had been playing.

Barring injury, I think OJ will be playing with the Canucks next year.  I could see him replacing Stecher, being at the end of his contract.

Just now, theo5789 said:

I am not discrediting the AHL time. I am just stating the fact that, in this point in Mac's development, he couldn't benefit from the AHL as much as he could being with the team. I doubt he would be playing in the playoffs right now if he wasn't with the team all year.

He was in that grey area and the spot of 13th/extra forward paid dividends for his development into an NHL player.

38 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Barring injury, I think OJ will be playing with the Canucks next year.  I could see him replacing Stecher, being at the end of his contract.

Stecher is an RD, OJ is an LD. I don't think this will happen for this reason unless they shift Benn or Hughes to RD where they have played before but not this season.

39 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am not discrediting the AHL time. I am just stating the fact that, in this point in Mac's development, he couldn't benefit from the AHL as much as he could being with the team. I doubt he would be playing in the playoffs right now if he wasn't with the team all year.

He was in that grey area and the spot of 13th/extra forward paid dividends for his development into an NHL player.

Yes I agree that this NHL time has been beneficial for his development, but like I said, he paid his dues in the AHL. OJ may benefit from the jump as well, but I think he simply needs more game time and the AHL is more likely where he will get that.

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Stecher is an RD, OJ is an LD. I don't think this will happen for this reason unless they shift Benn or Hughes to RD where they have played before but not this season.

Good point.  I just have a sense that Jim is going to push to make room for OJ is there's any indication that he's ready.  A lot can happen trade-wise before next season too (if we even have one).