The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I thought Juolevi showed really well in his one game against the Wild. In his limited minutes he made some nice passes, defended well and didn't look out of place. Combine that with the good reviews of his practice habits in the bubble and it's looking good. I have him penciled in on the 3rd pairing ahead of Benn:

Hughes - ________

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - _________

Benn, Rafferty

That's how I see the defense core for next year. We don't know who will be in those two RD spots. It could be any of Tanev, Stetcher, a UFA or an acquisition through trade. But the bottom line is I think we'll finally get to see Juolevi in the show sooner rather than later. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Likely ceiling of a 6-8/AHL guy, 26 years old, on an expiring deal.

Sounds more like  Sautner is propping up Juolevi. I remember when Sautner was playing a full time role a couple of years back he looked good. They asked him to be more physical and from what i gather he has, so ......... ?? If Sautner was playing with Juolevi a LHD it means Sautner can play both side because he too is a LHD

Edited by Fred65

54 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Sounds more like  Sautner is propping up Juolevi. I remember when Sautner was playing a full time role a couple of years back he looked good. They asked him to be more physical and from what i gather he has, so ......... ?? If Sautner was playing with Juolevi a LHD it means Sautner can play both side because he too is a LHD

There's a chance Sautner is propping up Juolevi, but Sautner has also had a decent amount of NHL experience and while not bad, certainly isn't the next coming of Chris Tanev. As @aGENT pointed out, Sautner is also four years older than Juolevi and is likely already very close to his career peak, whereas at just 22 years of age, Juolevi has some key developmental years still ahead of him and hasn't had a chance to show anything in the NHL yet. Juolevi has also shown a far stronger aptitude for offense than Sautner as well. At the end of the day, the biggest difference is Sautner is four years older and at best a #7 on most NHL teams. Juolevi may be at the same level, but is much more likely to improve given his young age.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Sautner is a "veteran" in the AHL. Much like how Tanev was partnered with Hughes, was Tanev propping up Hughes? Sautner was a decent call up and could still be a serviceable Biega type player for us, but the quality in front of him continues to grow and push him down to AHL quality talent for us.

I think the thing to gather from that quote you posted earlier is that they are trusting and developing OJ to face the top opposition and has Sautner as a reliable partner. Our RD was thin with Chatfield getting regular call ups during the season and Rafferty wasn't as trusted in defensive assignments.

18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

There's a chance Sautner is propping up Juolevi, but Sautner has also had a decent amount of NHL experience and while not bad, certainly isn't the next coming of Chris Tanev. As @aGENT pointed out, Sautner is also four years older than Juolevi and is likely already very close to his career peak, whereas at just 22 years of age, Juolevi has some key developmental years still ahead of him and hasn't had a chance to show anything in the NHL yet. Juolevi has also shown a far stronger aptitude for offense than Sautner as well. At the end of the day, the biggest difference is Sautner is four years older and at best a #7 on most NHL teams. Juolevi may be at the same level, but is much more likely to improve given his young age.

i always believed that you won with your best, it,  as far as I'm aware winning is the entire concept of hockey. At 26 he's hardly an after thought he'll be around for  another 5 years or more. Certainly not a Tanev but at this point maybe better than Juolevi ?? It all get back to earning a spot or being given a spot, just a thought. I thought it was reasonable comment to explore. Personally I believe Benning is anxious to show Juolevi as great pick  :)

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I guess Tanev was simply 'propping up' Hughes this year too? ;)

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I guess Tanev was simply 'propping up' Hughes this year too? ;)

To a certain degree yes, he provided the opportunity for Hughes to use his offensive flair, it worked well. If I'm Sautner I'd be p!***d. Sautner does the grunt work and Juolevi gets the glory .... and the money.

For many year there was an element on the forum through thick and thing told us of the the future glory for Virtanen, now it's Juolevi. I hope Juolevi is a future all-star but  the record is not encouraging, and I'd hate to see other propsects overlooked because of politics  

Edited by Fred65
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, aGENT said:

To a certain extent, yes, he did. Just like, to a certain extent, Sautner likely helped stabilize, with a dependable (AHL level), veteran presence, Juolevi.

That doesn't mean Hughes' ceiling isn't a whole lot higher than Tanev's... And Juolevi's ceiling, well I'm sure you can follow the bread crumbs...

If you are really sure about that, you must have forgotten who you were responding to.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

For the same reason Zack Macewen is on a NHL roster and not the higher scoring few years older Reid Boucher.

One has the ability and tools to translate their skill and play in the NHL and the other does not.

Not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

As we're talking hyperboles, Cull needed a strong Defensive partner for Juolevi to survive. Sautner of course has played more games in the NHL them Juolevi and during his games in the NHL was a plus player. Not difficult to grasp

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

As we're talking hyperboles, Cull needed a strong Defensive partner for Juolevi to survive. Sautner of course has played more games in the NHL them Juolevi and during his games in the NHL was a plus player. Not difficult to grasp

Fred; I think your choice of the word "survive", was a poor one. A better choice would have been "thrive". One of the main functions of the AHL, as you well know; is to develop players for the NHL. Having a defensively reliable partner allows Juolevi the freedom to be a bit more creative in generating offence from the back end without worrying so much about his partner not being good enough to handle an occasional turnover. My understanding of what they want to see from Juolevi is a fluid skating puck moving D man and having Sautner anchoring the defensive side is a plus for both of them as Sautner is more suited as a stay at home shutdown D man

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Fred; I think your choice of the word "survive", was a poor one. A better choice would have been "thrive". One of the main functions of the AHL, as you well know; is to develop players for the NHL. Having a defensively reliable partner allows Juolevi the freedom to be a bit more creative in generating offence from the back end without worrying so much about his partner not being good enough to handle an occasional turnover. My understanding of what they want to see from Juolevi is a fluid skating puck moving D  and having Sautner anchoring the defensive side is a plus for both of them as Sautner is more suited as a stay at home shutdown D man

Could be. I'd  just like to think politics (  a Benning draft pick ) is earning his way for the right reasons. Any way I can't recall where but there is talk about Juolevi ending up with Arizona, so who knows

22 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Could be. I'd  just like to think politics (  a Benning draft pick ) is earning his way for the right reasons. Any way I can't recall where but there is talk about Juolevi ending up with Arizona, so who knows

Because the potential return is OEL who would be in taking up a likely spot of his for a long time which makes him expendable. And the talk is that we want to shed some of our cap as well. You have to pay quality to get quality.

It's not like we are dumping him thinking he is a bust as some want to believe.

11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Lol.

I'm not talking hyperboles, you just don't get it.

Edited by MrCanuck94

On 10/2/2020 at 4:55 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

For the same reason Zack Macewen is on a NHL roster and not the higher scoring few years older Reid Boucher.

One has the ability and tools to translate their skill and play in the NHL and the other does not.

Not that difficult of a concept to grasp.

too bad for Boucher, wrong time for him, the Canucks were a bad hockey team with and without him.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

too bad for Boucher, wrong time for him, the Canucks were a bad hockey team with and without him.

Boucher in an odd way I compare to Archibald. Both amazing AHL players, but when they have had their chances in the NHL they just can't muster anything. I love them both as I'm a big Utica fan, but it's amazing how a player can look so good there but come up and look like a shell of themselves in the NHL. They are so close yet so far away at the same time. Boucher in the AHL just has that little bit more time and space to make those nice passes or get his wicked shot off...in the NHL those seconds count and he can never get his shot off...he never seems to be able to find those soft spots like he can in the AHL... I've waited and waited for him to do what he does in the AHL at the NHL level, just can't do it. If he was able to find that time and space man we would have had an amazing player there. In utica he played in all situations even on the PK, amazing player to watch. Hope he gets a chance somewhere else to try and prove himself one last time, the guy deserves it.

Honestly lots of guys in the AHL fit that bill exactly. And it's always perplexed me how they can't translate it, but I do think it's a mix of time and space, and also confidence.

Sorry don't want to hi jack a Joulevi thread...so there I mentioned him lol. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1