Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

On 7/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Seider was my pick at 10 heading into last year's draft. What could have been. :P

shocking. I got lit up on these forums for Suggesting JB take Sieder who at the time was ranked in the 20's. Though I also never imagined Putzgoalsin would be available to us.

• Hydration 3
  • Haha 1

Nice to see that he's made such good progress just in this camp. Glad he's starting to climb the ranks. Very promising sign. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Haven't seen a tonne of Olli play, but do see some Edler in him. Maybe his demeanor with interviews, as well? Seems to fit that N Euro,big-bodied, yet soft-spoken D. Betting Alex will be an excellent mentor, handing off his torch to his heir-apparent. Should he go on to replicate #23's career, we'd all have to be pretty pleased.

With QH's dynamic style, the Canucks would prob prefer OJ becomes a dependable, 20-30 pt, smart & solid D-man. Bet that fits his personality too. A team needs such balance on the blueline, & it fits in well within an overall cap structure.

The injuries have certainly hampered his progress, but I bet this profile of player prob needs to get into his young 20's to really start asserting himself(on the pro scene)

Olli is exceptional at getting pucks to the net through traffic. I love the Edler comp it is one I use quite often myself. Hopefully he hits less shin pads :lol:.  I can see him maybe maintaining Edler's high point rate of 50 maybe over a few more seasons then Eagle did. But that may also be a factor he will likely have a more balanced offensive team with our constant injection of future youth coming in to replace over priced players. It's gonna be a sad day when Pearson walks into free agency but its nice knowing we have Hoglander and Podkolzin here when that happens. I don't see a situation where we re-sign Pearson. Toffoli on the other hand fits an org need on the right side and his scoring skill should remain competitive for years to come. 

This is an olli juolevi chat tho. Enough with Pearson and other forwards :D I am excited to see what he can do when he is ready. 

Edited by Rush17
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Kid is going to be worth the wait.  OJ will be a top 4 D on a ELC right when we need him.  I expect him to crack the NHL roster at some point next season, and be a key part of our team moving forward the season after.  His transition game is outstanding.

• Hydration 1

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

Kid is going to be worth the wait.  OJ will be a top 4 D on a ELC right when we need him.  I expect him to crack the NHL roster at some point next season, and be a key part of our team moving forward the season after.  His transition game is outstanding.

He is on year 2 of his ELC right now.  Becomes an RFA end of next season

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

More likely scenario is that he will become a cheap bottom pairing pucking moving D for the Canucks, which the team needs in the long run to support Hughes and Rathbone on the left side. 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2

2 hours ago, Maddogy said:

More likely scenario is that he will become a cheap bottom pairing pucking moving D for the Canucks, which the team needs in the long run to support Hughes and Rathbone on the left side. 

Movin on up from the bust label at least. One step at a time.

• Huggy Bear 1

I'm almost worried that he cracked the lineup.

Was pretty sure we pulled another Nedved outta the draft, hard to watch the other members of his draft class play.

The Salo influence is instant.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:51 PM, Top Cheddar said:

shocking. I got lit up on these forums for Suggesting JB take Sieder who at the time was ranked in the 20's. Though I also never imagined Putzgoalsin would be available to us.

Don't worry I also was suggesting we take Seider at the time.

• Hydration 1

Not sure if anyone has benefitted from this weird season more than Olli... he gets some much needed recovery time and an extra camp with the big club.  

I’m not going to say he’s a lock to be back on track as a second pairing guy... but I’m a lot more optimistic than I was a few weeks ago.  Should be great competition between him and Rathbone next year.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

The fact that we have Rathbone and OJ as competition for a top 6 spot next year bodes well for our future at LD.

It doesn't bode well for a guy like Brisebois or Saunter though but that's a good problem.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The fact that we have Rathbone and OJ as competition for a top 6 spot next year bodes well for our future at LD.

It doesn't bode well for a guy like Brisebois or Saunter though but that's a good problem.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 of Juolevi, Brisebois and Rathbone get spots on the Canucks next year and rotate in the top 6. Rathbone and Juolevi both spending time in the AHL to mature.

I really think one of Hughes, Juolevi or Rathbone will eventually move to the right side to ensure these 3 will get the ice time they will deserve. My guess is that Hughes will be the one that moves to the right side and will pair up with either Rathbone or Juolevi.

“I feel just as comfortable on the right as I do on the left,” said Hughes. “There’s positives and negatives to both. If I’m a rightie on the blue line, I can just walk in on my forehand. if I’m a leftie, I have to skate over. I don’t know if I explained that the best, but trust me, there’s positives and negatives to both.”

• Hydration 3
  • Haha 1

Excited for Olli to get some positive reinforcement from the organization for the work he has put in on improving. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I'm really rooting for him, in fact I'm expecting him to make the cut and start in the bigs next season 

If it's between him and Rathbone I think they'll let Rathbone get a taste of the pros at a lower level unless he really blows coaching and management away 

Edited by Coconuts

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'm really rooting for him, in fact I'm expecting him to make the cut and start in the bigs next season 

If it's between him and Rathbone I think they'll let Rathbone get a taste of the pros at a lower level unless he really blows coaching and management away 

Rathbone is 1 year younger than Juolevi and has arguably already demonstrated he is a more developed and NHL ready D man than Juolevi.

It will be interesting to see which one pulls ahead.

Finally a good problem to have with our Canucks as we rarely have had a number of good D man prospects (or very young D) at the same time (Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi).

• Confused 1
  • Huggy Bear 1