The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

good article, I really like his confidence level. 

It's definitely encouraging, I can't wait to see him make the team and show his stuff 

If people have realistic expectations for a rookie D I think they'll be pleasantly surprised 

• Cheers 1

I feel many people overlook Juolevi because he isn't flashy like a Hughes or even Rathbone, but when he was drafted he was never suppose to be that guy. He was a solid two way guy, who was good at everything but not elite. He was never going to be flashy or a true number 1 guy. However, I believe injuries have really held him back. He has always played well wherever he's gone. I still believe he can be a strong two way top 4 d man and let's remember those are extremely valuable. Let's not worry about where he was drafted. I think he can be a 20-30 point guy for us once he is a regular. He makes smart plays and can move the puck. I certainly haven't ruled out Juolevi and I really do believe that once people see him play games for us that they will change their mind.

• Cheers 4

Juolevi is in a pretty enviable spot.  Expectations are geared down relative to if he had made the team in his draft+2 season.  Just needs to bring the things to the table that got him drafted in the first place and can grow into a top4 role after 1-2 years.  Pretty excited for the player after overcoming a lot of adversity.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Juolevi

Like I have been saying sticking with the team during the bubble really helped Juolevi. He is a smart player and smart players grow from these types of experiences.

thats why I've always thought he'd pan out, "hockey sense" is something guys have or they don't. If Pouliot had OJ's brain he would have been an all star. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I feel many people overlook Juolevi because he isn't flashy like a Hughes or even Rathbone, but when he was drafted he was never suppose to be that guy. He was a solid two way guy, who was good at everything but not elite. He was never going to be flashy or a true number 1 guy. However, I believe injuries have really held him back. He has always played well wherever he's gone. I still believe he can be a strong two way top 4 d man and let's remember those are extremely valuable. Let's not worry about where he was drafted. I think he can be a 20-30 point guy for us once he is a regular. He makes smart plays and can move the puck. I certainly haven't ruled out Juolevi and I really do believe that once people see him play games for us that they will change their mind.

Agree with pretty much everything you said here. I have always had hope Juolevi would develop into someone in the Dan Hamhuis vain, nothing overly flashy but a smooth skater who makes intelligent plays at both ends of the ice and goes under the radar most nights. 

His injuries definitely set his development back (for example his skating went from being a strength to needing improvement after his knee surgery) but I also believe he can still become a 20-30 point complimentary top 4 d. I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering this upcoming season but will be happy if he can just show he belongs and his body holds up over the full length.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Agree with pretty much everything you said here. I have always had hope Juolevi would develop into someone in the Dan Hamhuis vain, nothing overly flashy but a smooth skater who makes intelligent plays at both ends of the ice and goes under the radar most nights. 

His injuries definitely set his development back (for example his skating went from being a strength to needing improvement after his knee surgery) but I also believe he can still become a 20-30 point complimentary top 4 d. I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering this upcoming season but will be happy if he can just show he belongs and his body holds up over the full length.

We as Canuck fans are lucky to have Hughes... His addition alone, has taken most of the pressure off OJ to be our future #1 defencemen (what he was originally expected to be here).  

I like the Hamhius comparison related to OJ's potential future value on this team.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hogs & Podz said:

We as Canuck fans are lucky to have Hughes... His addition alone, has taken most of the pressure off OJ to be our future #1 defencemen (what he was originally expected to be here).  

I like the Hamhius comparison related to OJ's potential future value on this team.

Don't disagree with the overall premise, Hughes has helped reduce pressure on OJ. However, his ceiling was always a #2-#3D with an outside shot at a #1D and a high (#4-#5) floor.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Don't disagree with the overall premise, Hughes has helped reduce pressure on OJ. However, his ceiling was always a #2-#3D with an outside shot at a #1D and a high (#4-#5) floor.

He wasn't really expected to be a true #1D, but he was expected to be our #1D. Nobody knew we had a Hughes coming.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's going to funny if Rathbone out plays Juolevi, then what does JB do :huh:

We could always push Quinn to the right side which he's capable of.

Edler-Hughes

Rathbone-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers

Or if they are close rotate them in and out of the lineup

Edler-Schmidt

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Benn(or other vet)

We will certainly be laughing if our prospects are stepping up and pushing for spots in the lineup where we have to make tough decisions due to too much quality. Good to have options.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably is happy he has 2 young D that can step up. 

IMO, that is very likely. If the Canucks carry 8 D like they normally do there is a chance that 6,7,and 8 are rookies with Jordy Benn's status as the #5 D up for grabs if there are no further roster moves. If Tryamkin comes back next year he will likely be replacing Benn

22 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO, that is very likely. If the Canucks carry 8 D like they normally do there is a chance that 6,7,and 8 are rookies with Jordy Benn's status as the #5 D up for grabs if there are no further roster moves. If Tryamkin comes back next year he will likely be replacing Benn

Benn is replaced by Tryamkin, good chance. If Tryamkin signed for 1 year does he become a FA at the conclussion of that contract ??

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting read by Justin Bourne in Sportsnet

How three 'fringe' hockey departments operate, and what teams use them for (sportsnet.ca)

and a particular paragraph

If you run an NHL team, part of the gig of being involved in a physical profession is being rugged and reliable. The NHL normally has an 82-game season followed by two months of rigorous hockey. Nobody wants a delicate sports car that can do great things in theory, but isn’t road ready day in, day out. It’s half the reason some hockey people love reliable steel-and-not-plastic, pickup-truck-style hockey players. Showing up is half the battle.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Going to post this here before the season starts.

I still believe Juolevi is going to be a better pick than Tkachuk. Even if I were to go back in time, I would still pick Juolevi over Tkachuk because I believe Juolevi will be a very good top 4 dman. 

Well, as of right now, Tkachuk is clearly the better pick. And I say this being a fan of Juolevi. It's probable that someone of his calibre will be MORE VALUABLE down the road. There will always be a talented winger, but talented defensemen are perceived to be harder to find.

It sucks that Juo has been injured so much, otherwise this pick wouldn't have had as many question marks as it does now. I'm hopeful though that he can prove naysayers wrong.

• Cheers 3