Sign in to follow this  
b3.

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

Posted (edited)

Once Benn leaves Juolevi can go back to his patented Jersey #4.

image.jpeg.42e51f799f0251f3e89b068ced56f765.jpeg

IIHF on Twitter: "2016 World Junior and Memorial Cup champion Olli ...

He wore 7 briefly with Finland at the WJC but that was when he was the teams captain briefly. ( 4 or 7 be nice :D)  He wears #48 now so I assume he would like to go to #4.

Edited by Rush17
  • Hydration 1

3 hours ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

lol   Wow. 

I really triggered a bunch of posters correctly pointing out Juolevi is just average NHL size.

What exactly triggered the outrage?

You aren't correctly pointing out anything. You've had several people prove you wrong on this matter already.
Also, at this point you're just making yourself sound like a troll. If you're trying to actively trigger people, then you're doing a really bad job at it.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, naslundfan921 said:

Of our current D core only Hughes and Myers (given the lengthy contract) are long term locks so I don't quite understand why some are having this Juolevi v Rathbone or prior to that Juolevi v Rafferty argument. With Edler in his twilight, Tanev and potentially Stetcher gone this fall via free agency and the likes of Fanta, Benn as short term depth pieces, we will have more than enough spaces for these guys to play (provided they prove capable at this level). Moreover if any of our prospects do prove good enough to crack the roster this management has shown the willingness to let those who merit playing time get into the lineup even if it means burying big salary in the minors (Sven) or in the press box (Loui).

Remember having competition for spots is a good thing and having good assets in the system whether as depth, in the lineup or as a trade chip is essential. If you look back on our best teams from the WCE era to even the Sedins peak the one thing that we have often lacked is depth and young competition to battle for spots.  

It is a strawman arguement to allow those who cannot fathom that OJ has legit ability and now that he grown into his tall frame he can physically handle the NHL level of play.  

By changing the goal posts from OJ vs Serge pre draft and defence vs forward, OJ vs MT post draft and GMJB was a idiot, to even Rathbone is looking better than OJ (#bust#GMJB sucks#wasted pick) this last year while ignoring any possible reason other than stat lines, some are going as far as to compare the NCAA as equal to the AHL.  

Watch, if OJ isn't a flash in the pan, which he isn't, and he stays on the off ice training path he has finally found, then his obvious skill and ability to play with other skilled players would take over.

The same posters will disappear on this thread until OJ makes a boo boo and then they will come back... rinse, wash, repeat...  

• Confused 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

at this point you're just making yourself sound like a troll. If you're trying to actively trigger people, then you're doing a really bad job at it.

yup.

I think Juolevi looked pretty good in the Winnipeg game. He has a great breakout pass and a pretty sneaky shot too. He will be a regular guy in the lineup soon; no doubt about it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Giorgio Tsoukalos - Host of Ancient Aliens the tv show lol.

If you say so. Not only have I never heard Giorgio I've never heard of the show either. I'm more of a Masterpiece Theatre or Knowledge Network sort of guy

So, there’s a debate going on whether 6’3 200 lbs is considered “big”?

Why don’t you pick a fight with the next 6’3 200 lb dude at the bar and let us know...

Olli is above average sized, and if he gains even 10 lbs would be formidable. It’s his playing style that people are conflating with his body size. He doesn’t play big, but he undeniably is big.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

If you say so. Not only have I never heard Giorgio I've never heard of the show either. I'm more of a Masterpiece Theatre or Knowledge Network sort of guy

Where's Alf?  He's an ancient alien.

Sure hope Olli gets into the game tomorrow.

How Olli Juolevi caught the coaching staff's attention and moved ...

6 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Where's Alf?  He's an ancient alien.

He has been MIA since mid March; not sure why.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, nergish said:

So, there’s a debate going on whether 6’3 200 lbs is considered “big”?

Why don’t you pick a fight with the next 6’3 200 lb dude at the bar and let us know...

Olli is above average sized, and if he gains even 10 lbs would be formidable. It’s his playing style that people are conflating with his body size. He doesn’t play big, but he undeniably is big.

Yip, I noticed OJ used his positioning and leverage well. Doubt he ever becomes a physical player, just not his style. Being 6'3" is great for leverage and reach so really don't care if he's "physical" with his size. 

Edited by rekker
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

You aren't correctly pointing out anything. You've had several people prove you wrong on this matter already.
Also, at this point you're just making yourself sound like a troll. If you're trying to actively trigger people, then you're doing a really bad job at it.

Geez towel...you sound pretty triggered.

All I did was point out that OJ is the average size of an NHLer.  No need for you to get all apoplectic!!

20 minutes ago, CanuckCup2022 said:

All I did was point out that OJ is the average size of an NHLer.

And all people are doing is pointing out you are wrong.

• Haha 2

The last published work on “average size” for NHL players was done five years ago by Hockey Graphs:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/hockey-graphs.com/2015/03/05/nhl-forwards-vs-defensemen-height-weight-1917-18-to-2014-15/amp/

At the time of the 2014-15 season, the average NHL defenseman was around 6’2” and 205 lbs. Average player size had been pretty stable since the 1990’s, although there was some minor decline since a peak around 2004 (more decline in average weight than in height, however).

I’d expect that, if somebody ran the data today, they’d find the average NHL defenseman stood maybe a hair under 6’2” and weighed in around 200 lbs.

So roughly Olli Juolevi size. Maybe an inch shorter, and around the same weight.

I suppose that makes Olli slightly above average in size, at least technically. But if you stood Olli beside a cutout of the “average sized” NHL defenseman, I doubt you’d notice much, if any, difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

We had so so many people that had given up on Juolevi???? Should go back to post it was ridiculous saying Benning was awful picking him ect...

Juolevi has had injures back 2017-18  -GP 38 - 19 pts -- Plyoffs 11GP -- PTS 7

2018-19 --- knee injury   miss almost whole season -- GP 18-- 13 PTS 

2019 -20   Missed some games knee acting up-- GP 45  - 23 PTS

Covid season  ends early. Juolevi comes to camp looks good and plays exhibition game looks very good...

Juolevi 22, 6'3. 205 lbs -- Future #3 D man solid game 18 -- 22 minute guy...

Fans  give guy a break he has had injuries slowing his development..He will be fine, regular player very soon.. Maybe by next season Dec 1st..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The last published work on “average size” for NHL players was done five years ago by Hockey Graphs:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/hockey-graphs.com/2015/03/05/nhl-forwards-vs-defensemen-height-weight-1917-18-to-2014-15/amp/

At the time of the 2014-15 season, the average NHL defenseman was around 6’2” and 205 lbs. Average player size had been pretty stable since the 1990’s, although there was some minor decline since a peak around 2004 (more decline in average weight than in height, however).

I’d expect that, if somebody ran the data today, they’d find the average NHL defenseman stood maybe a hair under 6’2” and weighed in around 200 lbs.

So roughly Olli Juolevi size. Maybe an inch shorter, and around the same weight.

I suppose that makes Olli slightly above average in size, at least technically. But if you stood Olli beside a cutout of the “average sized” NHL defenseman, I doubt you’d notice much, if any, difference.

You have stated, more eloquently than I, that Juolevi is an average sized NHL player. Those posters that fail to see this are just being stubborn and will continue to say he will do great things with his "size".

I for one, hope Juolevi does become an NHL regular. But it won't be because he is "big".

6 hours ago, gurn said:

And all people are doing is pointing out you are wrong.

I am not wrong in the least gurn. Simply open your mind and read Sid's post below.  ::D

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

On 7/31/2020 at 2:03 PM, CanuckCup2022 said:

That is average size for an NHLer.

The average modern NHL player is 6-foot-1 and 199.3 pounds.  

They said during the Edmonton/Chicago game the average size is just under 6'2

3 hours ago, peaches5 said:

They said during the Edmonton/Chicago game the average size is just under 6'2

So 6'1 something? sounds about right. :lol:

This size conversation is starting to remind me of the whole wingspan discussion from a few years back. :lol:

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Where's Alf?

Someone mentioned cpl pages back.. I been wondering my self..

Hope the old geezer is well and healthy..