The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

14 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

First of all, learn how to spell our players names. It's Hoglander. Secondly, OJ is an elite, smooth skating defenceman. Not sure what you're talking about. Hoglander has shown he's worthy of being on the team, and I want him to have that opportunity. But so has Olli, just in a quieter kind of way. Doesn't mean he's not worthy. 

Okay I just copied the previous posters spelling

You don't remember the shortened season, when it restarted the AHL players were dominating for the first week or so because they had been playing games. I just posted "we'll see" in a couple of weeks.

What on earth are you talking about his skating being great, that has been one of the biggest negatives for 3 or 4 years now, they kept blaming it on bad feet, knees, back, illness

I hope the media, coach, fans and Benning give the exact same scrutiny with the exact same type of comments to Juloevi that they do Virtanen

43 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I hope the media, coach, fans and Benning give the exact same scrutiny with the exact same type of comments to Juloevi that they do Virtanen

Juolevi can't control whether he gets injured or not. Virtanen can control how hard he chooses to try. There's a big difference in how the two are perceived...

• Hydration 2
5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Juolevi can't control whether he gets injured or not. Virtanen can control how hard he chooses to try. There's a big difference in how the two are perceived...

May 31, 2014 - Bit of a question mark over Jake Virtanen's head with the shoulder injury he is recovering from. Supposed to be 4-6 months (look at the date, drafted anyway)

Dec 02, 2015 - Upper body injury, injured reserve (shoulder)

Sept 2016 - Virtanen out 4-6 months after shoulder surgery

Mar 09, 2019 - (fractured ribs).

Feb 14, 2019 - Upper body injury, day-to-day.

There are others injuries as well

No break on 3 years of shoulder problems and recovery time

I wonder if anyone remembers Stojanov or Antoski? Shoulder injuries finished their careers, pretty much ended their hitting.

And for 4 years a lack of hitting was putting Jake in the doghouse with the media, fans and this team, but then this group couldn't understand why Ferland could not be insured for concussions either

1 hour ago, Lazurus said:

Okay I just copied the previous posters spelling

You don't remember the shortened season, when it restarted the AHL players were dominating for the first week or so because they had been playing games. I just posted "we'll see" in a couple of weeks.

What on earth are you talking about his skating being great, that has been one of the biggest negatives for 3 or 4 years now, they kept blaming it on bad feet, knees, back, illness

Why would you want everyone to scrutinize Oj the way they have with Jake? Seems like a pretty bizarre thing for a fan of this team to wish on a player. 

• Hydration 2
1 minute ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Why would you want everyone to scrutinize Oj the way they have with Jake? Seems like a pretty bizarre thing for a fan of this team to wish on a player. 

Not just OJ, the whole team and stafff but it would be a start.

Expectations put on Jake and a comparison, start with OJ, he was a higher draft pick This management group went off the board to take him instead of three other players that were soaring up the rankings AND the management group stated he was to be the one they were counting on.

And

Then let that expectation of competence spread to all aspects of the organization, so lets start expecting that kind of performance from every one.

10 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Juolevi was absolutely not taken off the board, but okay. The treatment of Jake throughout his time here has been nothing short of ridiculous. Just look at the presser her and Petey had. I understand there needs to be an expectation for the players and staff in the organization but there’s better ways to go about it. I still don’t get why you would want Oj to be scrutinized. Just let the kid play, no need to put him under a microscope. 

For the very reason you are stating. My own opinion is to just let them play but they, the media, fans and management, aren't so let's spread the wealth around. "What is good for the goose is good for the gander" Or "All things being equal" Tit for tat all of those phrases have to do with being fair.

So OJ, picked higher of JV has that little bit more expectation, that expectation that JV now enjoys so much, he should have even more. Not sympathy.

The only sympathy for these millionaires should be that they were bad selections for those spots. Those spots make for high expectations because they have a 97% success rate of making the NHL and 85% rate of being impact players.

Put OJ and the whole bunch of them under the same microscope, all of them, but if not, then at least the kid with the higher expectations when drafted, all things being equal, at least his parent won't have to suffer with all the negativity around their home.

3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

For the very reason you are stating. My own opinion is to just let them play but they, the media, fans and management, aren't so let's spread the wealth around. "What is good for the goose is good for the gander" Or "All things being equal" Tit for tat all of those phrases have to do with being fair.

So OJ, picked higher of JV has that little bit more expectation, that expectation that JV now enjoys so much, he should have even more. Not sympathy.

The only sympathy for these millionaires should be that they were bad selections for those spots. Those spots make for high expectations because they have a 97% success rate of making the NHL and 85% rate of being impact players.

Put OJ and the whole bunch of them under the same microscope, all of them, but if not, then at least the kid with the higher expectations when drafted, all things being equal, at least his parent won't have to suffer with all the negativity around their home.

Must. Grasp. At. STRAWS.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Lazurus said:

I think the second quote has to do with Holander, it can't be about OJ.

How many games can they afford to lose? OJ is just too slow and can't turn and no mean streak.

Holander is a distraction for the masses. Looking at him they are not thinking about OJ.

Holander looks really good out there, he should he is in game shape but lets wait a couple of weeks when the rest catch up, hopefully he carries on showing up most of the forwards.

So the media and team are "look at Holander" without a peep about OJ

I haven't watched OJ's games in the minor, except for highlights. 

His passing looks great but there were indeed some highlights where he seemed to get beat wide. It seems like you followed him closely?

Do you think his skating is a problem enough for him to prevent him from making the jump to the NHL this season (or at all)?

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, khay said:

I haven't watched OJ's games in the minor, except for highlights. 

His passing looks great but there were indeed some highlights where he seemed to get beat wide. It seems like you followed him closely?

Do you think his skating is a problem enough for him to prevent him from making the jump to the NHL this season (or at all)?

He was recovering from surgery still at the start of last season. He had to take some time off during the season for nagging injuries related to the recovery. (over-compensating other muscle groups I believe) As he became more healthy, his pivoting and first strides improved. He finished off the season on 1st unit PK duties and was relied on to defend leads late in games.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Lazurus said:

What..? Lol the numbers in this post are incorrect, the argument you presented for whatever argument you're going on about is weak and I honestly have no idea where this is going lol.

Lets not be salty that these guys make a good buck doing what they love and hope they all have a great season and rest of their career, okay? :frantic:

10 hours ago, Lazurus said:

I think the second quote has to do with Holander, it can't be about OJ.

How many games can they afford to lose? OJ is just too slow and can't turn and no mean streak.

Holander is a distraction for the masses. Looking at him they are not thinking about OJ.

Holander looks really good out there, he should he is in game shape but lets wait a couple of weeks when the rest catch up, hopefully he carries on showing up most of the forwards.

So the media and team are "look at Holander" without a peep about OJ

not sure if that's google scouting, or hfboards 'scouting' or what that is, but I'm not sure whether to scrunchy face that or laugh emoji it.

sorry, but that's an awful take.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
On 1/25/2020 at 12:05 PM, Davathor said:

Hilarious to see how a single sentence set off you Joulevi fanboys so hard though, surprised you all managed to type a legible sentence through all those rage tears.

I'll check back in a year when he's still in the AHL.

Two weeks to go to the 25th....you better tell Green to get him that ticket to New York State as currently I think he has other plans for a now healthy OJ.     Perhaps Green is blinded by his "rage tears" however.   :)

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1