The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I don't love that they scratched him last game and I hope he slots back in tonight. I know there is really only 1 slot available for the rest of our D to contend for (so I get our other rookie D need to get their chances also), but I really feel like Juolevi is at a point in his development where he can't be sitting around. The guy needs to play games and keep working on his game if he's going to be apart of this group going forward. But that doesn't mean he deserves a spot by default so I'd rather if he isn't gonna play then send him back to the AHL (when that season starts up) where he can play first pair. 

In general apart from some mistakes I feel like he's played quite well and as said above with a lot of poise for a rookie. 

4 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I don't love that they scratched him last game and I hope he slots back in tonight. I know there is really only 1 slot available for the rest of our D to contend for (so I get our other rookie D need to get their chances also), but I really feel like Juolevi is at a point in his development where he can't be sitting around. The guy needs to play games and keep working on his game if he's going to be apart of this group going forward. But that doesn't mean he deserves a spot by default so I'd rather if he isn't gonna play then send him back to the AHL (when that season starts up) where he can play first pair. 

In general apart from some mistakes I feel like he's played quite well and as said above with a lot of poise for a rookie. 

Yes, 10 minutes per game for OJ wasn’t doing anyone any good, 5 games in and 2 D down

He’s looked no worse and better than some and his stats per 60 are right up there (hits, blocks, shots, GA and GF)

Makes me scratch my head

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He played 21 minutes in a game where he was not a minus and the opposition scored 7 on us. How did he look?

Very solid positionally in the canucks end of the rink.  Simple plays to get out of our end.  Some decent neutral zone pinches.  Smart player, expect some more aggressive plays exiting out zone as he gets more comfortable in our system and tendencies of his teammates 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He played 21 minutes in a game where he was not a minus and the opposition scored 7 on us. How did he look?

Honestly I say he looks pretty good out there, in the sense that you don't really notice him.  If we had 6 Juolevi's on our D, we would be far better off than we have been so far, he has been our best D so far this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Honestly I say he looks pretty good out there, in the sense that you don't really notice him.  If we had 6 Juolevi's on our D, we would be far better off than we have been so far, he has been our best D so far this year.

I do not think he has been the best D man although he is showing the doubters on CDC that they were wrong about him. He is trending towards being a very reliable puck moving D man that can also play the PK effectively; good attributes to have and of great value to the team. I fully expect that his ice time will stay up in the 15 to 20 min. range even after some of the injured D men return to play. This will not be good news for Jordie Benn.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

I don't think his future is as a top pairing D, but 2nd pairing. Nice to see at least one Dman had better than an awful game last night. We'll see where we are after the 3 games against Ottawa. If .500, then maybe we have a chance at 4th. If lower, don't stop trying but maybe start to reconcile that this year is a step back, and see what pieces are worth picking up. 

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Boy, this takes me back to all those discussions I've had of OJ vs Rafferty over +/- and defensive play.

I was not taking his +/- into consideration when commenting on his play so far. I do believe that as he becomes more confident in his abilities and increased usage on the ice; that he will be one of the better D man prospects that we have. I think that both Rathbone and Chatfield will be full time NHL players at some point as well. With Rafferty I have my doubts but hope I am proven wrong. The more NHL calibre prospects we have the better.

• Upvote 1

He got caught a bit flat footed on the Evans goal but it's hard to fault Juolevi at all on that one.

I can see Juolevi settling into a steady, reliable top-4 D still based on his play so far this season.  He doesn't move particularly quickly, which I think will limit what he can do at the NHL level, but he does seem to read the play well which compensates a bit for that.  No one has been particularly impressive this season (except for Boeser IMHO, he looks much more like what we came to enjoy in his rookie season) but Juolevi still looks like he could be part of the solution moving forward.

With the pairings the way they are right now due to injury, I'm wondering if it would be worth playing Juolevi with Schmidt.  Schmidt's natural style is more of a rover and he has the wheels to do it.  Juolevi's passing ability allows him to still contribute even if he's in a more "stay at home" role.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

He got caught a bit flat footed on the Evans goal but it's hard to fault Juolevi at all on that one.

I can see Juolevi settling into a steady, reliable top-4 D still based on his play so far this season.  He doesn't move particularly quickly, which I think will limit what he can do at the NHL level, but he does seem to read the play well which compensates a bit for that.  No one has been particularly impressive this season (except for Boeser IMHO, he looks much more like what we came to enjoy in his rookie season) but Juolevi still looks like he could be part of the solution moving forward.

With the pairings the way they are right now due to injury, I'm wondering if it would be worth playing Juolevi with Schmidt.  Schmidt's natural style is more of a rover and he has the wheels to do it.  Juolevi's passing ability allows him to still contribute even if he's in a more "stay at home" role.

I agree with everything you stated, but would add Horvat to the small list of players who have impressed.  He keeps getting better each year.

• Cheers 3