The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Boy, this takes me back to all those discussions I've had of OJ vs Rafferty over +/- and defensive play.

I was not taking his +/- into consideration when commenting on his play so far. I do believe that as he becomes more confident in his abilities and increased usage on the ice; that he will be one of the better D man prospects that we have. I think that both Rathbone and Chatfield will be full time NHL players at some point as well. With Rafferty I have my doubts but hope I am proven wrong. The more NHL calibre prospects we have the better.

• Upvote 1

He got caught a bit flat footed on the Evans goal but it's hard to fault Juolevi at all on that one.

I can see Juolevi settling into a steady, reliable top-4 D still based on his play so far this season.  He doesn't move particularly quickly, which I think will limit what he can do at the NHL level, but he does seem to read the play well which compensates a bit for that.  No one has been particularly impressive this season (except for Boeser IMHO, he looks much more like what we came to enjoy in his rookie season) but Juolevi still looks like he could be part of the solution moving forward.

With the pairings the way they are right now due to injury, I'm wondering if it would be worth playing Juolevi with Schmidt.  Schmidt's natural style is more of a rover and he has the wheels to do it.  Juolevi's passing ability allows him to still contribute even if he's in a more "stay at home" role.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

He got caught a bit flat footed on the Evans goal but it's hard to fault Juolevi at all on that one.

I can see Juolevi settling into a steady, reliable top-4 D still based on his play so far this season.  He doesn't move particularly quickly, which I think will limit what he can do at the NHL level, but he does seem to read the play well which compensates a bit for that.  No one has been particularly impressive this season (except for Boeser IMHO, he looks much more like what we came to enjoy in his rookie season) but Juolevi still looks like he could be part of the solution moving forward.

With the pairings the way they are right now due to injury, I'm wondering if it would be worth playing Juolevi with Schmidt.  Schmidt's natural style is more of a rover and he has the wheels to do it.  Juolevi's passing ability allows him to still contribute even if he's in a more "stay at home" role.

I agree with everything you stated, but would add Horvat to the small list of players who have impressed.  He keeps getting better each year.

• Hydration 3

If OJ can increase his speed he could be a real good defenseman.

He reads the play well and is smart so becoming even faster would amplify his toolset exponentially by being able to make smart/skilled plays faster.

One of his weaknesses is his rush D play but that's mostly because of his skating.

He still has good potential.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Goals scored tonight: Juolevi-1 M.Tkachuk-0. Check mate haters

Wrong Tkachuk. Ottawa's Tkachuk is Brady. Matthew is the one that the Canucks "coulda" drafted.

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If OJ can increase his speed he could be a real good defenseman.

He reads the play well and is smart so becoming even faster would amplify his toolset exponentially by being able to make smart/skilled plays faster.

One of his weaknesses is his rush D play but that's mostly because of his skating.

He still has good potential.

I always liked this pick. Too bad for his injuries because he could have been on the team full time much earlier than this.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

After a shaky first game of the season, Juolevi has gotten better and better every game. If he keeps this up it's safe to say we won the pick - we've got our future Edler right here. He skates quite smoothly with the puck, doesn't hold on to it for too long ala Hughes and is learning how to use his big frame to win puck battles. Nothing but impressed by Juolevi, I'm surprised he's been on the PK so much but if he can really get used to killing penalties then we'll have a real stud on our hands next season. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

After a shaky first game of the season, Juolevi has gotten better and better every game. If he keeps this up it's safe to say we won the pick - we've got our future Edler right here. He skates quite smoothly with the puck, doesn't hold on to it for too long ala Hughes and is learning how to use his big frame to win puck battles. Nothing but impressed by Juolevi, I'm surprised he's been on the PK so much but if he can really get used to killing penalties then we'll have a real stud on our hands next season. 

I like what i see from OJ. I doubted him alot after his lengthy road to the nhl. Won the pick is still a little much for me though.

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I like what i see from OJ. I doubted him alot after his lengthy road to the nhl. Won the pick is still a little much for me though.

I think OJ was picked based on a positional need and an NHL floor.  If he replaces Edler in the long run it’s a good pick, honestly though he looks more like an Edler-Tanev hybrid.  He’s got the body and tools to be an all rounder like Edler with more mobility and better raw skills.

• Hydration 1

36 minutes ago, bbllpp said:

I think OJ was picked based on a positional need and an NHL floor.  If he replaces Edler in the long run it’s a good pick, honestly though he looks more like an Edler-Tanev hybrid.  He’s got the body and tools to be an all rounder like Edler with more mobility and better raw skills.

Agreed.  I think he will end up as a second pair d.  He has been good so far this year, and will keep getting better as he gets more confidence.  Not too worried about who we could have had at this point, if Juolevi turns into a steady top 4 D, we can be happy with that.  Not all top 10 picks become superstars.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Happy he grabbed a goal last night.  He was playing well shielding the puck and moving it out or D-to-D last night before he scored.  Looking more comfortable every day.  Glad he's turning his BUST reputation over.  Albeit slowly. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Burr 1