The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

3 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Been on this board for a long time but was always so lazy to make an account, so I might as well devote my first reply to a Olli Juolevi post! In all honesty, I loved him when he played with London and I think that injuries certainly hurt his development. He's been looking better each and every game, and I really feel like all he needs is more time to develop and work on his weaknesses. Excited to see him play more and I really hope Green continues to up his ice time in the future. While I don't think he's going to be a dman who nets us 40+ points a year, I think he'll be an integral part to a future championship run for sure. 

And for your first post, I’ve given you your first rep! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The irony of his first goal coming off a slap shot is that in his scouting report, that was one of his weaknesses haha.

Happy for Olli, I can see the confidence in his game building.

Although not known for a rocket of a slap shot, I thought he was known for being very accurate and getting it on net. Can't remember where I read that. 

• Hydration 1

I like Olli Juolevi. Hardworking, humbleness, team player and good characters go a long way. This is what I see in him that's greater than other picks after him. It's debatable what you prefer to have in a player that helps you win, but I'm happy to have a player like OJ. We have other players can fill in the other traits. 

On top of that I think he has the skill and smartness to grow into a reliable top 4D.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

Trying not to read too much into the lineup at today's skate that has him in the 4th pairing.  For sure Chatfield and Benn need reps too, but Olli has been more than solid for us so far, and has waited for this for a long time.  Keep him in the lineup and we'll get the player we drafted for.  

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

I don't know if Olli has top 4 in his future but I would like to see him on special teams. He could be fantastic on PP2 he moves the puck really well. 

Has already been on the PK, didn't look out of place at all. PP could be on the horizon, but will be hard to pass Schmidt, so we would have to go to a 2 dman set up for him to get any real shot.

• Upvote 1
Just now, theo5789 said:

Has already been on the PK, didn't look out of place at all. PP could be on the horizon, but will be hard to pass Schmidt, so we would have to go to a 2 dman set up for him to get any real shot.

I love Schmidtty and I want to see him get his chances to shine. However I think right now especially we need Schmidt logging a butt load of mins even strength.  

I hated the pick originally bit that seems eons ago. But whatever, I'm glad he's making a spot for himself. Big body, reads the play well, and just a overall quiet game nothing stands out as a negative defensively. We need his Tanev like calming effect. Nice shot too. 

• Huggy Bear 1
4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The OJ haters right now

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

I have never ever given up on OJ. His bad string of injuries was unfortunate but they had nothing to do with his potential. The constant comparisons to Matt Tkachuk has been extremely tiresome.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Glad to see him get a goal last night.  Especially after hitting the post the game before which led to a goal against.  He seems to lack a bit of urgency at times but in his own end he looks pretty decent. I also hope to see him skate  a bit more with the puck but as some posters pointed out he should be keeping his game simpler in the early days. 

15 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I like what i see from OJ. I doubted him alot after his lengthy road to the nhl. Won the pick is still a little much for me though.

The pick is a tricky one, at the time I thought it was brilliant but of course look at the players right after him.

I think the Virtanen pick really influenced this one - if we hadn't taken Virtanen (say taken skill with Nylander), then JB surely would have gone for Tkachuk. A point-per-game 30 goal scoring tough first line forward is pretty tempting. That being said, Keller hasn't been that great (around a 40-point center now), and as good as Sergachev, McAvoy and Chychrun have seemed, they're all scoring around 30-40 points.

I think we're yet to see the best of Juolevi and he'll fit right into that conversation of McAvoy, Chchrun and maybe Sergachev in a couple of years time. If he can log 20 minutes and score 30-40 points then we've made a good pick. Sadly we were never going to go for Tkachuk due to picking Virtanen and having hardly anyone on defence, so it always would have been one of the defencemen. Personally, I would have preferred Sergachev but Juolevi fits our system a bit better. In hindsight the Hughes pick makes McAvoy redundant and hopefully picking Podz makes Tkachuk redundant but we'll see.

• Vintage 1
21 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I hated the pick originally bit that seems eons ago. But whatever, I'm glad he's making a spot for himself. Big body, reads the play well, and just a overall quiet game nothing stands out as a negative defensively. We need his Tanev like calming effect. Nice shot too. 

Exactly this. I've really liked his game so far. Haven't seen too many mistakes, which as a young defenseman is a good sign. The rest of his game will come with more time I think and he'll get more involved.  

Would like to see Greener spread some of Hughes’s 5v5 minutes to OJ.  Kid’s looking decent enough and Hughes’s struggles in his own end begs to question his 5v5 minutes.

I must have missed it, but does anyone know why Juolevi is scratched? I've listened to Green's press Q&A the last few days since his goal, but don't feel like he has mentioned it/been asked about it. 

I'm sure he wanted to see more of Chatfield, but unless it's just me I thought Juolevi played quite good so far and was very solid defensively in that last game where he scored. I hope he isn't hurt. If he can develop into a solid top 4 dman for us after all the draft drama and injuries he has dealt with, that would be a big win for this young team. 

I know Green is icing the team he believes will give them the best chance at winning and that's understandable. I just hope Juolevi isn't getting sidelined and his development impacted anymore.   

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

I must have missed it, but does anyone know why Juolevi is scratched? I've listened to Green's press Q&A the last few days since his goal, but don't feel like he has mentioned it/been asked about it. 

I'm sure he wanted to see more of Chatfield, but unless it's just me I thought Juolevi played quite good so far and was very solid defensively in that last game where he scored. I hope he isn't hurt. If he can develop into a solid top 4 dman for us after all the draft drama and injuries he has dealt with, that would be a big win for this young team. 

I know Green is icing the team he believes will give them the best chance at winning and that's understandable. I just hope Juolevi isn't getting sidelined and his development impacted anymore.   

IMO, Chatfield has outplayed Juolevi for the moment. That being said, I still think Juolevi will slot back in at some point.

Travis has a number of options on D to choose from especially when Hamonic returns. It is my hope that he rotates some of his lower pairings in and out of the lineup depending on who they are playing and as the injury bug eventually hits. Given the condensed season that is something they need to try to do.

• Like 1