The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

I don't know if Olli has top 4 in his future but I would like to see him on special teams. He could be fantastic on PP2 he moves the puck really well. 

Has already been on the PK, didn't look out of place at all. PP could be on the horizon, but will be hard to pass Schmidt, so we would have to go to a 2 dman set up for him to get any real shot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, theo5789 said:

Has already been on the PK, didn't look out of place at all. PP could be on the horizon, but will be hard to pass Schmidt, so we would have to go to a 2 dman set up for him to get any real shot.

I love Schmidtty and I want to see him get his chances to shine. However I think right now especially we need Schmidt logging a butt load of mins even strength.  

I hated the pick originally bit that seems eons ago. But whatever, I'm glad he's making a spot for himself. Big body, reads the play well, and just a overall quiet game nothing stands out as a negative defensively. We need his Tanev like calming effect. Nice shot too. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Glad to see him get a goal last night.  Especially after hitting the post the game before which led to a goal against.  He seems to lack a bit of urgency at times but in his own end he looks pretty decent. I also hope to see him skate  a bit more with the puck but as some posters pointed out he should be keeping his game simpler in the early days. 

15 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I like what i see from OJ. I doubted him alot after his lengthy road to the nhl. Won the pick is still a little much for me though.

The pick is a tricky one, at the time I thought it was brilliant but of course look at the players right after him.

I think the Virtanen pick really influenced this one - if we hadn't taken Virtanen (say taken skill with Nylander), then JB surely would have gone for Tkachuk. A point-per-game 30 goal scoring tough first line forward is pretty tempting. That being said, Keller hasn't been that great (around a 40-point center now), and as good as Sergachev, McAvoy and Chychrun have seemed, they're all scoring around 30-40 points.

I think we're yet to see the best of Juolevi and he'll fit right into that conversation of McAvoy, Chchrun and maybe Sergachev in a couple of years time. If he can log 20 minutes and score 30-40 points then we've made a good pick. Sadly we were never going to go for Tkachuk due to picking Virtanen and having hardly anyone on defence, so it always would have been one of the defencemen. Personally, I would have preferred Sergachev but Juolevi fits our system a bit better. In hindsight the Hughes pick makes McAvoy redundant and hopefully picking Podz makes Tkachuk redundant but we'll see.

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I hated the pick originally bit that seems eons ago. But whatever, I'm glad he's making a spot for himself. Big body, reads the play well, and just a overall quiet game nothing stands out as a negative defensively. We need his Tanev like calming effect. Nice shot too. 

Exactly this. I've really liked his game so far. Haven't seen too many mistakes, which as a young defenseman is a good sign. The rest of his game will come with more time I think and he'll get more involved.  

I must have missed it, but does anyone know why Juolevi is scratched? I've listened to Green's press Q&A the last few days since his goal, but don't feel like he has mentioned it/been asked about it. 

I'm sure he wanted to see more of Chatfield, but unless it's just me I thought Juolevi played quite good so far and was very solid defensively in that last game where he scored. I hope he isn't hurt. If he can develop into a solid top 4 dman for us after all the draft drama and injuries he has dealt with, that would be a big win for this young team. 

I know Green is icing the team he believes will give them the best chance at winning and that's understandable. I just hope Juolevi isn't getting sidelined and his development impacted anymore.   

1 minute ago, Bobby James said:

I must have missed it, but does anyone know why Juolevi is scratched? I've listened to Green's press Q&A the last few days since his goal, but don't feel like he has mentioned it/been asked about it. 

I'm sure he wanted to see more of Chatfield, but unless it's just me I thought Juolevi played quite good so far and was very solid defensively in that last game where he scored. I hope he isn't hurt. If he can develop into a solid top 4 dman for us after all the draft drama and injuries he has dealt with, that would be a big win for this young team. 

I know Green is icing the team he believes will give them the best chance at winning and that's understandable. I just hope Juolevi isn't getting sidelined and his development impacted anymore.   

IMO, Chatfield has outplayed Juolevi for the moment. That being said, I still think Juolevi will slot back in at some point.

Travis has a number of options on D to choose from especially when Hamonic returns. It is my hope that he rotates some of his lower pairings in and out of the lineup depending on who they are playing and as the injury bug eventually hits. Given the condensed season that is something they need to try to do.

• Like 1

I liked Jolevi's game (Wednesdays game) better than what Chatfield accomplished in Thursdays. Brady had his way with Jalen a few times in our zone were Joulevi seemed to handle the heavier checking much better. I'm not even adding Joulevi's first NHL goal to sway my opinion.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

IMO, Chatfield has outplayed Juolevi for the moment. That being said, I still think Juolevi will slot back in at some point.

Travis has a number of options on D to choose from especially when Hamonic returns. It is my hope that he rotates some of his lower pairings in and out of the lineup depending on who they are playing and as the injury bug eventually hits. Given the condensed season that is something they need to try to do.

Chatfield was okay but i feel Juolevi has been better !

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Chatfield was okay but i feel Juolevi has been better !

Chatfield is RD and Juolevi is LD so they are not really competing against one another. I think it has more to do with the fit with who ever their partner is and also who they are playing against. I fully expect to see both of them play 20 or more games this season. We may even see Rathbone given a game or two if they feel he is ready.

Nice to finally have some decent defensive depth to fill in when needed.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Chatfield is RD and Juolevi is LD so they are not really competing against one another. I think it has more to do with the fit with who ever their partner is and also who they are playing against. I fully expect to see both of them play 20 or more games this season. We may even see Rathbone given a game or two if they feel he is ready.

Nice to finally have some decent defensive depth to fill in when needed.

Yeah I agree, both have been solid (OJ's been quiet but is a +2 to go along with his goal, while Chatfield's been physical and strong defensively).

Combined with the likes of Benn and Schmidt who can switch sides, it's great that they're available as fresh players to spot the regulars or to provide their unique skillsets against particular matchups.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

With Chatfield being a RD and Benn playing well the right side, it has given Green the opportunity to play Schmidt the left side with Myers. That pairing has done well in the series vs the Sens.

OJ sitting is no flak to OJ. Chatfield and Benn have been good. I don't even think Hamonic would get in right now if he was healthy.

Chatfield's also 24 while OJ is 22 and coming off a season where he had some load management. We can still be patient with OJ and he'll likely see a lot of games still.

Yea. I think OJ needs to be brought along slowly. He's had a reputation for being injury prone to start his career. And he is younger, so will OJ be better at 24 than Chatfield is at 24? 

I agree that they'll both see a lot of games in a compressed season like this one where injuries will inevitably happen. 

37 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea. I think OJ needs to be brought along slowly. He's had a reputation for being injury prone to start his career. And he is younger, so will OJ be better at 24 than Chatfield is at 24? 

I agree that they'll both see a lot of games in a compressed season like this one where injuries will inevitably happen. 

You could speculate yeah OJ could be better at 24. OJ is smart/skills and has proven that he's good away from the puck(Zone D and PK). The only thing holding OJ back is his speed and a lot of that stems from his injuries. Speed is his weakness and as a result you've seen him struggle defending the rush at times. He has shown he is smart enough to create a bit of distance(playing safe) in order to mitigate this.

Chatfield has good speed and has shown capable of defending the rush well and making good pinches. Chatfield has shown enough puck skills to be able to make a good first pass. He's been a pretty good all-around defender overall in the 4 games he's played.

When Chatfield's been on the ice in the 12:07 minutes of ice time in the 4 games he's played we've had a 5v5 save percentage of 96.2%(according to NHL.com) which is good for a person who's been utilized defensively. OJ's on ice save 5v5 percentage isn't bad either at 93.3% playing 12:53 a night. Both averaged about 11 minutes at even strength. All stats provided by NHL.com via SAT percentages and TOI in the player stats.

Keep in mind of the small sample size and low deployment with these stats. It is still very early in these twos career to determine their worth yet.

Another thing to consider is that OJ has played 63 AHL games while Chatfield has played 147 games(season+playoffs) in the AHL. That's a big difference too. More time for Chatfield to round out his game.

Took Boeser a bit to find his shooting form after his injuries so I reckon it could take some time for OJ to become faster as well.

Everyone should be happy having 2 rookie D showing signs of promise.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 4