The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

14 minutes ago, BENN said:

Juolevi and Hughes are too different beasts and both kinds are needed.

Hughes will learn his lessons and it is good for him,

Juolevi needs management too overcome his injuries and if his fitness goes right, imo big part of the core.

I think Juolevi will get there. I believe he's going to be a big part of the core moving forward. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, BENN said:

Juolevi and Hughes are too different beasts and both kinds are needed.

Hughes will learn his lessons and it is good for him,

Juolevi needs management too overcome his injuries and if his fitness goes right, imo big part of the core.

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Juolevi will get there. I believe he's going to be a big part of the core moving forward. 

Juolevi realizing his potential will be the perfect Edler replacement.

Tbh, I'd say he's already ready for PK2 and playing around 15 mins a night.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

hoping that Green realizes that too. 

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

He's playing difficult - impressive - minutes thus far.

38.3% ozone starts is almost unheard of for a rookie defenseman.

And in those minutes - he's +2, with 3.3 on ice goals for, 2.7 against per 60.  .922 on ice save percentage.

And killing 1:32 of penalties / game.

Normally, he and Hoglander would have a market salivating over their future....but here....these young players  are 'expected' at this point, after a handful of draft successes (EP, Hughes, Demko, Boeser) - which is ok, but playoff success is eclipsed by a few weeks of struggles in a covid grind schedule....expecting this team to contend at this stage is probably noob-think.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He's playing difficult - impressive - minutes thus far.

38.3% ozone starts is almost unheard of for a rookie defenseman.

And in those minutes - he's +2

That actually IS pretty decent, considering how brutal our overall defensive game has been. Green is still sheltering his minutes pretty heavily though, so he's going to have to prove with increased responsibility he can keep it up. We absolutely need that kind of steady presence - especially to replace what Edler brings if he is going to leave us.

I do hope I'm wrong about Juolevi, in that I really don't think he has as high a ceiling as many of you seem to think. But this is coming from a guy who thought Pavel Brendl was going to be a star in the league, and that Iginla wasn't going to be as great as he was, so...

29 minutes ago, joe-max said:

I'd love to see him play more and believe at one point he could become a good partner for QH (defensive minded, good puck mover, high IQ), but if easing him in slowly prevents him from getting another injury, I'm all for it.

I agree, it's a huge positive having Olli there not just for Quinn, but the entire line on the ice having another high IQ player out there who is also defensively sound.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

That actually IS pretty decent, considering how brutal our overall defensive game has been. Green is still sheltering his minutes pretty heavily though, so he's going to have to prove with increased responsibility he can keep it up. We absolutely need that kind of steady presence - especially to replace what Edler brings if he is going to leave us.

I do hope I'm wrong about Juolevi, in that I really don't think he has as high a ceiling as many of you seem to think. But this is coming from a guy who thought Pavel Brendl was going to be a star in the league, and that Iginla wasn't going to be as great as he was, so...

that's not 'sheltered' though - not even close.

like his game, very strong on his skates man to man on the back heel. Tough to do, and very intimidating as a rushing player. no one likes to get up ended by a rookie and fly into the boards. that kind of game will get him respect around the league. not sure on a comparable, but i like his strength. quiet and steady, good player. book it. I called Tanev our best defenseman like 10 years ago when he was out of college,  and i think career-wise he knowingly hampered his career for the team. Pissed he is gone, although support the move because we can't compete. Argue with me haters. This is the closest thing we have right now to shoring up that hole.

The only games Ollie should miss for the rest of the season, should be strictly to conserve his health and mitigate the risk of injury.

Other than that, let him play.

They need him to be a regular d man next season, with minimal or zero sheltering.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

Sheltered not necessarily by competition level, but more just limited minutes. Not your "typical" sheltering.

I see what you mean.  Typically sheltering means avoiding matchups wherever possible, along with high ozone starts (avoiding dzone starts wherever possible) and having veteran partners (or linemates) to buffer the player's exposure.

• Cheers 1

What I see from him is that he has proven to be a dependable bottom pairing dman. The reason why he wont' see major minutes for this year is quite simple. When he is in the lineup as was last night, the canucks only have one right shot dman which is myers. We then have two left shot dman playing the right side. In other words, we have five left shot dman in the lineup. This is why myers played so much. Also this is why they so desperately wanted Chatfield to work despite him going -9 in the last 4 games. Our defence is simply more balanced with  chatfield in there in terms of the left vs right shots. Also it is baffling why we let stecher walk as he is a right shot dman. 

Edited by canucks fan 1981

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

Perhaps Jim isn't as worried about left shot/right shot defense as he figures to have a different coach next season anyhow.

Seems Travis is the guy that is most concerned about positioning.

Id rather jim go before Travis, I'm hearing more rumors about Benning gone too.