The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

8 minutes ago, BCNate said:

When can we start to recognize that Juolevi has been solid this year, and that we are better with him in the lineup.  He is a rookie getting 60+% D zone starts and has been on the ice for 4 goals against so far.  He needs to stay in the lineup and see his ice time creep up, we need him to be a capable full-fledged NHL D next year.  I believe he is capable of that.

I think the biggest reason he hasn't seen more ice is simply our lack of depth + injuries on the right side. I don't think it's really about Juolevi or his play.

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I actually thought that Juolevi played pretty good tonight against the Leafs. 

He should be in the lineup over Chatfield. 

Maybe he should be in the lineup instead of Hughes or Myers for a game or two?  We can't continue to exchange one point a game from Hughes for giveaways and bonehead plays in their own end.

• Sad 1

I thought Juolevi had a very good game. Super promising skill set and seems like a smart player that reads the ice well. Not bad size either and he definitely played with more intensity and some aggression. 

The team is having some issues no doubt, but I am very pleased about this kid and hope he continues to play well and can stay healthy. I've been excited about him and I think he can be a good replacement for Edler and an important piece for when we are actually ready to compete. Not that I think we should let Edler walk or anything, he's still solid (just need to reduce his minutes by a bit in future seasons) and I'd love to sign him again on a short term contract hopefully around 3 mil or a little less. 

• Hydration 2

On 2/9/2021 at 1:15 PM, Bobby James said:

I thought Juolevi had a very good game. Super promising skill set and seems like a smart player that reads the ice well. Not bad size either and he definitely played with more intensity and some aggression. 

The team is having some issues no doubt, but I am very pleased about this kid and hope he continues to play well and can stay healthy. I've been excited about him and I think he can be a good replacement for Edler and an important piece for when we are actually ready to compete. Not that I think we should let Edler walk or anything, he's still solid (just need to reduce his minutes by a bit in future seasons) and I'd love to sign him again on a short term contract hopefully around 3 mil or a little less. 

Yeah. I echo a lot of what you're saying. I feel like Juolevi had a great game on Monday, even though the team lost. He's smart, and he gave a couple of hits (one on Matthews that led to a cross-check on him). I think he can eventually be a replacement for Edler, but Olli's got a ways to show that he's capable of being a top four defenseman. Can't remember if he was playing bottom pairing minutes on Monday's game, or was he being utilized like a top four defenseman? If he shows progress this season, I'm really excited, and hope Benning doesn't do something utterly stupid and trades him. 

If we can get Fabbro for Gaudette.....

• Hydration 1

On 2/9/2021 at 10:57 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Maybe he should be in the lineup instead of Hughes or Myers for a game or two?  We can't continue to exchange one point a game from Hughes for giveaways and bonehead plays in their own end.

Hughes will be in the line up every game. LOL. he's our best defender, which isn't saying very much right now because our defense blows. 

But he's our best defenseman out there, with such promise. he'll get better eventually. maybe not this season, and maybe not until the team is out of the playoffs mathematically. 

Juolevi, I can see will be a bottom pairing defenseman for most of this season unless we got injuries to the defense, which if we did, would be testing our depth. Need to bring Olli along slowly, because he's shown signs that he can be quite fragile with all of his injuries up to this point. But he looks promising, I'll give you that, and the fact that he's playing NHL games, and doesn't look out of place, are good signs. 

Juolevi and Hughes are too different beasts and both kinds are needed.

Hughes will learn his lessons and it is good for him,

Juolevi needs management too overcome his injuries and if his fitness goes right, imo big part of the core.

14 minutes ago, BENN said:

Juolevi needs management too overcome his injuries and if his fitness goes right, imo big part of the core.

I think Juolevi will get there. I believe he's going to be a big part of the core moving forward. 

• Hydration 2

18 minutes ago, BENN said:

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Juolevi will get there. I believe he's going to be a big part of the core moving forward. 

Juolevi realizing his potential will be the perfect Edler replacement.

Tbh, I'd say he's already ready for PK2 and playing around 15 mins a night.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

hoping that Green realizes that too. 

10 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

He's playing difficult - impressive - minutes thus far.

38.3% ozone starts is almost unheard of for a rookie defenseman.

And in those minutes - he's +2, with 3.3 on ice goals for, 2.7 against per 60.  .922 on ice save percentage.

And killing 1:32 of penalties / game.

Normally, he and Hoglander would have a market salivating over their future....but here....these young players  are 'expected' at this point, after a handful of draft successes (EP, Hughes, Demko, Boeser) - which is ok, but playoff success is eclipsed by a few weeks of struggles in a covid grind schedule....expecting this team to contend at this stage is probably noob-think.

Edited by oldnews
  • Hydration 1

I'd love to see him play more and believe at one point he could become a good partner for QH (defensive minded, good puck mover, high IQ), but if easing him in slowly prevents him from getting another injury, I'm all for it.

34 minutes ago, oldnews said:

He's playing difficult - impressive - minutes thus far.

38.3% ozone starts is almost unheard of for a rookie defenseman.

And in those minutes - he's +2

That actually IS pretty decent, considering how brutal our overall defensive game has been. Green is still sheltering his minutes pretty heavily though, so he's going to have to prove with increased responsibility he can keep it up. We absolutely need that kind of steady presence - especially to replace what Edler brings if he is going to leave us.

I do hope I'm wrong about Juolevi, in that I really don't think he has as high a ceiling as many of you seem to think. But this is coming from a guy who thought Pavel Brendl was going to be a star in the league, and that Iginla wasn't going to be as great as he was, so...

29 minutes ago, joe-max said:

I'd love to see him play more and believe at one point he could become a good partner for QH (defensive minded, good puck mover, high IQ), but if easing him in slowly prevents him from getting another injury, I'm all for it.

I agree, it's a huge positive having Olli there not just for Quinn, but the entire line on the ice having another high IQ player out there who is also defensively sound.

• Hydration 1

5 hours ago, kloubek said:

That actually IS pretty decent, considering how brutal our overall defensive game has been. Green is still sheltering his minutes pretty heavily though, so he's going to have to prove with increased responsibility he can keep it up. We absolutely need that kind of steady presence - especially to replace what Edler brings if he is going to leave us.

I do hope I'm wrong about Juolevi, in that I really don't think he has as high a ceiling as many of you seem to think. But this is coming from a guy who thought Pavel Brendl was going to be a star in the league, and that Iginla wasn't going to be as great as he was, so...

that's not 'sheltered' though - not even close.

like his game, very strong on his skates man to man on the back heel. Tough to do, and very intimidating as a rushing player. no one likes to get up ended by a rookie and fly into the boards. that kind of game will get him respect around the league. not sure on a comparable, but i like his strength. quiet and steady, good player. book it. I called Tanev our best defenseman like 10 years ago when he was out of college,  and i think career-wise he knowingly hampered his career for the team. Pissed he is gone, although support the move because we can't compete. Argue with me haters. This is the closest thing we have right now to shoring up that hole.

Not been the biggest fan of his, but the last 2 games have been a big improvement. His details have been much better, he's not throwing the puck away or losing his assignment in his own end anymore. Hopefully he can keep building off these games.