The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

4 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Fun fact, Olli had 18:59 TOI in yesterday's game, more than Benn and Hughes.

I saw that and thought it was a great show of confidence from Green.  He is showing exactly the set of skills we drafted him for.  If it weren't for injuries, he would have had more confidence and joined earlier.  He is not getting points yet, but I am enjoying his play as much as Hoglander.  I think he will be the next Edler/Salo. A great all around player who is even-keeled and you can just trust in all situations. Stay tuned!

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

I love how Olli is patiently waiting the opposition out that they try to attack him head on, but his high hockey IQ just steers them away into very little chances.

Still would like to see Juolevi engage a little bit more quickly on board battles as at times I see him being a tad indecisive, but I'm sure that will come with time as he gets more comfortable.

His passing is something to marvel at. I would say he is the second best at outlet passes after Hughes, just is able to anticipate and read the play very well. Just needs the feet to catch up, but even that is getting better too. 

• Hydration 1

On 3/27/2020 at 9:23 AM, Canucklehead53 said:

I would hate to see us trade Olli before giving him a fair chance in the NHL.

I really hope for him to be a Tanev replacement to be honest...might be a bit a leap (and I am not holding my breathe) but he seems so underrated by so many...but only until he isn't. I don't think he will ever be the flashy player people expect from a 5th overall but I truly expect him to be a necessary piece (in some capacity) for us when we compete for the cup again

I am going to be "that guy" and quote myself - the jury is still out as far as I am concerned, but I am really glad he wasn't traded when there were quite a few writing him off and wanting to trade him, 

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

His passing is something to marvel at. I would say he is the second best at outlet passes after Hughes, just is able to anticipate and read the play very well. Just needs the feet to catch up, but even that is getting better too. 

I dare say he might actually end up the better passer, long term. Hughes definitely skates the puck better and is a very good passer as well but can sometimes be a bit riskier with a higher chance of turn over etc. But most of OJ's just seem smoother, calmer and less risky/higher likelihood of success.

Regardless, he's just scratching the surface at this level. As some of us have been preaching for years, he's a very good, smooth and smart D.

• Hydration 2

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I dare say he might actually end up the better passer, long term. Hughes definitely skates the puck better and is a very good passer as well but can sometimes be a bit riskier with a higher chance of turn over etc. But most of OJ's just seem smoother, calmer and less risky/higher likelihood of success.

Regardless, he's just scratching the surface at this level. As some of us have been preaching for years, he's a very good, smooth and smart D.

I wish there was a way to get him on PP1 while keeping Hughes there as well. He's so good at getting that no look pass right on the tape to the shooter at the right circle. Petey would get so many one timer opportunities.

Don't see him getting on PP2 either since Schmidt and Myers are ahead of him right now.