The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. People act like this only happens to our 'inferior' players :lol:

2 hours ago, BarnBurner said:

Or when Motte deked/flew past him in the playoffs. 

2 hours ago, zduck14 said:

Exactly. Just look at Pietrangelo's reaction on Saturday night when he saw MacKinnon flying towards him.

Yeah that’s the thing about Dmen. It’s not a matter of whether or not they look bad but how often. 

It’s like goalies and getting scored on. It’s gonna happen. 

Forwards have it easier. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s actually baffling that so little has been done to address our power play despite it being ice cold this season.

Like Green always talks about how he’s always looking at changes yet his only moves seem to be switching goalies and swapping out Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwan.

Browns lack of adjustments will surely cost him his job if he’s not already on the way out.

Gotta agree.  I feel like our setup has been well scouted (Miller controlling on the left board, Hughes touch passing to Pete, Petey tries to dangle; Boeser doesn't do much near the net, and his "slip back and then pass to Horvat in the bumper" play is predictable).  It was at least "novel" to put Boeser on the RW, but the 3 guys on the outside need to be more dynamic, and maybe they should try Hoglander in the net front role.  

• Hydration 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It’s actually baffling that so little has been done to address our power play despite it being ice cold this season.

Like Green always talks about how he’s always looking at changes yet his only moves seem to be switching goalies and swapping out Eriksson, Virtanen, and MacEwan.

Browns lack of adjustments will surely cost him his job if he’s not already on the way out.

I think some people focuses too much on just the 1PP unit.  

I remember the Canucks used to have 2 very good PP unit prior to 2011.  IIRC, Sedins with Samuelsson, Edler and Ehrhoff.  #2 with Kesler, Raymond, Salo, Demitra, Bernier or something.  A strong second unit means the first unit needs to hurry the heck up.  Instead of thinking they have 90 seconds to work with, they have 1 minute and they better score or the next unit is up and they will try to get the results.  

If I was in charge of the Canucks PP right now... I'd take Horvat off and slide him to the second unit.  Then have Edler as the other defenseman on the blueline. 

• Hydration 1

On February 21, 2021 at 3:54 PM, -AJ- said:

I'm really liking Juolevi, but I'd hold off from calling him a homerun just yet. Boeser, Petey and Hughes are certainly home runs and it's obviously too early to tell for Podkolzin. Once he gets NHL time we'll figure that out.

Don't forget Hogs, who is starting to look like a home run for a second round pick. And if/when Tram comes back and plays the way I think he will play, he will be looking like a home run for his draft position. 

As far as calling OJ a home run, it might be a bit premature yet, but it seems only fair considering how many times he has been called a bust, a miss, a strikeout etc. You can't let the haters have everything their way.

While I wouldn't really call him a home run yet either, if your only choice was between calling him a home run or a bust at this point, which sounds more accurate?

7 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Don't forget Hogs, who is starting to look like a home run for a second round pick. and plays the way I think he will play, he will be looking like a home run for his draft position. 

As far as calling OJ a home run, it might be a bit premature yet, but it seems only fair considering how many times he has been called a bust, a miss, a strikeout etc. You can't let the haters have everything their way.

While I wouldn't really call him a home run yet either, if your only choice was between calling him a home run or a bust at this point, which sounds more accurate?

ship mar GIF by Maria Jose Guzman

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Don't forget Hogs, who is starting to look like a home run for a second round pick. And if/when Tram comes back and plays the way I think he will play, he will be looking like a home run for his draft position. 

He's nowhere near a homerun at this point.

I'd say a bit more like found money.

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not sure I'd describe it as "ice cold". It's currently 20th in the NHL and, outside of the first four games, where we had no special teams ability whatsoever for some reason, it's running at about 21.8%, which would put it at the middle of the pack. I'm not saying it's a strong powerplay, but ice cold is a bit too extreme a description IMO.

I  do not believe our 2knd unit has scored yet?

i am not panicking. NOT calling for a new coac...

:blush:

Just contributing to the discussion 

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I  do not believe our 2knd unit has scored yet?

i am not panicking. NOT calling for a new coac...

:blush:

Just contributing to the discussion 

Our 2nd unit has definitely been a weakness. I don't have the stats on that, but I'm almost certain you're right in that it's been very poor. The 1st unit has been pretty decent I think.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Our 2nd unit has definitely been a weakness. I don't have the stats on that, but I'm almost certain you're right in that it's been very poor. The 1st unit has been pretty decent I think.

Myers has been the primary D

Maybe we go back to Edler who ran the 1st unit for years? Or topically, Juklevi

Need really a key forward puck handler to emerge. 3 C on most teams contributes, not enough from Gaudette is probably the actual issue...

Olli is progressing nicely so far this season. 

There is a lot of things going wrong with the Canucks on and off the ice. So it's nice to see Juolevi's development and progress, even if it means that Green may not be back next season with the way this team is headed. 

No playoffs almost means that Benning and his team is gone. I'm willing to bet that new management comes in during the off-season. 

• Like 1

So OJ's excellent development and progress means that Green may not be back next season. Sounds totally logical.

And you are willing to bet that new management comes in during the off-season. Wish you were a real person who I could actually collect from, because I would love to take the other end of that bet.

I only managed to catch one shift last night but that shift signified what was wrong with the canucks. It was Juolevi's shift after we gave up the 3-2 goal. He went back to the zone, made a really smart play to Roussel who obviously was not expecting him to do that because it involved a back hand chip up the boards (hard one at that) and the usual play was to ring it around the boards on Juolevi's forehand. But because it wasn't the obvious play the oilers were not expecting it too so when it went to Roussel this meant he was open for a clean break out. Somehow roussel couldn't take the pass (probably wasn't expecting it). Now the canucks were running around the zone, the d managed to get the puck off of the oiler's sticks a couple more times (one by juolevi and one by myers). But the forwards were making some really boneheaded plays including one where Gaudette threw it back into the corner to absolutely no one when all he had to do was to flip it out. We lost to the jets on the overtime goal and everyone was on boeser but people forget that the Jets had 3 forwards, that's right 3 forwards on the ice and they managed to hold pettersson hughes and boeser to the outside and strip petersson of the puck. The forwards need to do their part and it is obvious that the jets forwards know how to defend while ours have no clue. If your rookie dman made two good plays in one shift the puck needs to be out, this is quite basic. 

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

Just out of interest did  any one else notice Juolevi twice pivotted the wrong way when backing up against an opponent. Rather than pivot left and keep face to face with the on rusher. The first time i watched i I thought what the heck, did I see correct, but low and behold he did the same thing later in the game. Opponents and coaches notice things like that. He better correct that or he's going to be toast. He also gets beat in a foot race some times. I'm confident that Green will notice it and might account for him being sat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Just out of interest did  any one else notice Juolevi twice pivotted the wrong way when backing up against an opponent. Rather than pivot left and keep face to face with the on rusher. The first time i watched i I thought what the heck, did I see correct, but low and behold he did the same thing later in the game. Opponents and coaches notice things like that. He better correct that or he's going to be toast. He also gets beat in a foot race some times. I'm confident that Green will notice it and might account for him being sat

Oh no! one bad play in 15 games. I'm sure that's why he got sat rather than Green wanting a more experienced Hamonic to get into the group.

Maybe we should sit the whole top 6, they've had the most GA in the league. Especially that Hughes kid, has the worst EVGA, might be time to scratch him to make him accountable instead of letting him figure it out!

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

You are a troll. Every single one of your posts is beating down a player, or the team. 

Nope I try very hard to judge on merit, you should try it some time, it's sort of refreshing. Believing your own eyes rather than become a cheerleader

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Nope I try very hard to judge on merit, you should try it some time, it's sort of refreshing. Believing your own eyes rather than become a cheerleader

You must be a very lonely human being. 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

29 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

You must be a very lonely human being. 

Well try doing it sober then

• Haha 3