The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Well if this doesn't fit the pro Juolevi narrative so be it, this is a player who for the entire season despite being available to play has been kept out of the starting roster. Occasionally they throw him a bone but the next game he's sat again. Some have low opinions of the coaching staff but I tend to think they study players closely before they make their decissions and of course Greens job is on the line so if he thought Juolevi could help you can bet he'd have him suiting up. I defer to those in a better position than me. You always hope but so far he's failed the Green test

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well if this doesn't fit the pro Juolevi narrative so be it, this is a player who for the entire season despite being available to play has been kept out of the starting roster. Occasionally they throw him a bone but the next game he's sat again. Some have low opinions of the coaching staff but I tend to think they study players closely before they make their decissions and of course Greens job is on the line so if he thought Juolevi could help you can bet he'd have him suiting up. I defer to those in a better position than me. You always hope but so far he's failed the Green test

Nope. They couldn't recall him because his bonuses would have pushed them over the cap.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nope. They couldn't recall him because his bonuses would have pushed them over the cap.

They had the cap space to recall him ever since Pettersson went on LTIR on 19 March.  Him going on LTIR created a bonus pool of 2.85M which was sufficient to cover the bonus portion of Juolevi’s recall cap hit.  It also increased the salary pool by 925K which was sufficient to cover Juolevi’s salary.

27 minutes ago, mll said:

They had the cap space to recall him ever since Pettersson went on LTIR on 19 March.  Him going on LTIR created a bonus pool of 2.85M which was sufficient to cover the bonus portion of Juolevi’s recall cap hit.  It also increased the salary pool by 925K which was sufficient to cover Juolevi’s salary.

Not after we claimed Vesey, Boyd etc IIRC. And yes we only put Pettersson on LTIR as of March 19... How much opportunity for him to play after that before the Covid outbreak?

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Not after we claimed Vesey, Boyd etc IIRC. And yes we only put Pettersson on LTIR as of March 19... How much opportunity for him to play after that before the Covid outbreak?

Vesey was added before Pettersson went on LTIR.  Beagle’s last game was March 10.  He went on LTIR sometime later that month.  

Vesey is a 900K cap hit and they had the cap space to add him without using Pettersson’s LTIR.  They could have added Juolevi before claiming Vesey - they had the cap space once a player went on IR to create the roster spot.

Demoting Juolevi created a bonus pool of 816K.  Calling him back up has him using up those 816K plus the rest in the salary pool which was over 1.4M before adding Vesey and putting Pettersson on LTIR.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, mll said:

Vesey was added before Pettersson went on LTIR.  Beagle’s last game was March 10.  He went on LTIR sometime later that month.  

Vesey is a 900K cap hit and they had the cap space to add him without using Pettersson’s LTIR.  They could have added Juolevi before claiming Vesey - they had the cap space once a player went on IR to create the roster spot.

Demoting Juolevi created a bonus pool of 816K.  Calling him back up has him using up those 816K plus the rest in the salary pool which was over 1.4M before adding Vesey and Putting Pettersson on LTIR.

Sadly you can only take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. There are some out there that just won't believe the science :(  think qanon  ..... :lol:  Just think  if he was every thing fans want us to believe there's be some other roster player playing in Winterpeg, Utica or some other location that fast your head would spin. Can't get him onto the roster :rolleyes:

Edited by Fred65

In the end it's all up to OJ. I think the games he's played he's been ok but he needs to take another step to be above the comparisons with Benn etc. If he plays 5-10 more games this season than I think it's a success and then he needs to step it up before next season. His mobility is definitely still in question but on the other hand it's gotten better and this shortened season + an entire offseason might do wonders. Next season he needs to be a regular without excuses. I think he will be.

Edited by J-P

1 hour ago, mll said:

Demoting Juolevi created a bonus pool of 816K.  Calling him back up has him using up those 816K plus the rest in the salary pool which was over 1.4M before adding Vesey and putting Pettersson on LTIR.

Ok, but the point still stands that until Pettersson was put on LTIR March 19, we didn't have the space to recall him. Which was the bloody discussion lol

There was a less than 2 week window before games were cancelled, to play him. All while we were also trying to play Benn to presumably up his TDL value.

Edited by aGENT

I really like OJ's game.  I fully expect him to play a big role for this team next season.  He has a ton of potential, and has looked very solid this season.  His ability to make the long pass out of our end is a major asset, especially as we start to get more speed in our bottom 6.

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ok, but the point still stands that until Pettersson was put on LTIR March 19, we didn't have the space to recall him. Which was the bloody discussion lol

There was a less than 2 week window before games were cancelled, to play him. All while we were also trying to play Benn to presumably up his TDL value.

It wasn’t cap space that had him not playing since 23 February but lineup decisions which impacted roster spots.  His own demotion created a bonus pool of 816K that ensured they could cover a large part of the bonus portion of his recall.   Only a DiPietro recall would dip in that bonus pool as other taxi squad players are not on ELCs.  They had enough space in the salary pool to bring him back up but only him and Michaelis were waiver free. 

Looks to be the decision to play Michaelis over MacEwen that had them demote Juolevi to create the roster spot.  Juolevi was sent to the taxi squad on 4 March after being scratched for the 3 games after his last on 23 February.  That Juolevi/Michaelis swap allowed them to scratch MacEwen for the games on 4, 6, 8 and 10 March.

They also had all their 6 regular Ds healthy.  They could park him on the taxi squad till they planned on playing him without waiving someone or putting anyone on IR just yet + it saved ownership money as he earns over 10x less on the taxi squad. 

They were able to claim Vesey on the 16th and activate Motte off LTIR on the 17th which was before Pettersson went on LTIR the 19th.  They even recalled Eriksson on 13 March on emergency basis.

16 hours ago, BCNate said:

I really like OJ's game.  I fully expect him to play a big role for this team next season.  He has a ton of potential, and has looked very solid this season.  His ability to make the long pass out of our end is a major asset, especially as we start to get more speed in our bottom 6.

I agree, liked OJ's game way more than Chatfield. Chatfield can skate better, and thats about it, his decision making is just godawful. OJ is starting to show off those laser tape to tape passes, that one to Vesey was just right on the money, wouldve been a breakaway had that been EP40

• Cheers 1

My read of the two is, Juolevi has a fundamental flaw. He's been a Pro for 4 years. The flaw may be due to past injury which is too bad but none the less to my way of thinking is if he hasn't been unable to correct it by now it ain't going to happen. It likely accounts for his diabolic negative number in the AHL, at one time he had to worse +/- in the entire AHL for a defenseman. He has size although he is underweight for his position. He can make a good pass but he also can be caught out of position.

Chatfield has his flaws to but his skating is good, his positioning has to improve if he wants to play is the NHL. He can and is more physical. His flaws IMO can be over come with time and experience. Greens system of the D jumping in is not good for all players ( think Jordy Benn ) but Chatfield is doing as told and does pinch in or become the extra player on the rush. Unfortunately that some times lead to being caught up ice. That however happens to all the D in the Green system.

There's going to be some chnages on the D this coming summer so opportunities are there for both of them.

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

How ridiculous. 
The kid has plenty of time and has shown well in his short time in the NHL.  
His injuries have held him back big time, and he is still trying to get his knee strength and skating back.    It takes a loooong time. 

That alone is a major reason why he hasn’t been in games, and obviously CAN and most likely will be corrected.  

AHL + -     Really?   You are going to talk about that?    Hahahah

lets say this.   It’s probably not goi g to look great when you are pretty well playing on one leg.     And considering he is still rehabbing that knee, it’s fair to say it was bad last year.  

Good size and under weight?    Quinn Hughes says hi.  

Caught out of position some times?   A rookie?   No way.  Get out of town.   Lol!

How damn dramatic do we really need to be?

apparently drama is your preferred mode