The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1 hour ago, mll said:

Vesey was added before Pettersson went on LTIR.  Beagle’s last game was March 10.  He went on LTIR sometime later that month.  

Vesey is a 900K cap hit and they had the cap space to add him without using Pettersson’s LTIR.  They could have added Juolevi before claiming Vesey - they had the cap space once a player went on IR to create the roster spot.

Demoting Juolevi created a bonus pool of 816K.  Calling him back up has him using up those 816K plus the rest in the salary pool which was over 1.4M before adding Vesey and putting Pettersson on LTIR.

Ok, but the point still stands that until Pettersson was put on LTIR March 19, we didn't have the space to recall him. Which was the bloody discussion lol

There was a less than 2 week window before games were cancelled, to play him. All while we were also trying to play Benn to presumably up his TDL value.

Edited by aGENT

I really like OJ's game.  I fully expect him to play a big role for this team next season.  He has a ton of potential, and has looked very solid this season.  His ability to make the long pass out of our end is a major asset, especially as we start to get more speed in our bottom 6.

• Hydration 2
17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Ok, but the point still stands that until Pettersson was put on LTIR March 19, we didn't have the space to recall him. Which was the bloody discussion lol

There was a less than 2 week window before games were cancelled, to play him. All while we were also trying to play Benn to presumably up his TDL value.

It wasn’t cap space that had him not playing since 23 February but lineup decisions which impacted roster spots.  His own demotion created a bonus pool of 816K that ensured they could cover a large part of the bonus portion of his recall.   Only a DiPietro recall would dip in that bonus pool as other taxi squad players are not on ELCs.  They had enough space in the salary pool to bring him back up but only him and Michaelis were waiver free. 

Looks to be the decision to play Michaelis over MacEwen that had them demote Juolevi to create the roster spot.  Juolevi was sent to the taxi squad on 4 March after being scratched for the 3 games after his last on 23 February.  That Juolevi/Michaelis swap allowed them to scratch MacEwen for the games on 4, 6, 8 and 10 March.

They also had all their 6 regular Ds healthy.  They could park him on the taxi squad till they planned on playing him without waiving someone or putting anyone on IR just yet + it saved ownership money as he earns over 10x less on the taxi squad. 

They were able to claim Vesey on the 16th and activate Motte off LTIR on the 17th which was before Pettersson went on LTIR the 19th.  They even recalled Eriksson on 13 March on emergency basis.

16 hours ago, BCNate said:

I really like OJ's game.  I fully expect him to play a big role for this team next season.  He has a ton of potential, and has looked very solid this season.  His ability to make the long pass out of our end is a major asset, especially as we start to get more speed in our bottom 6.

I agree, liked OJ's game way more than Chatfield. Chatfield can skate better, and thats about it, his decision making is just godawful. OJ is starting to show off those laser tape to tape passes, that one to Vesey was just right on the money, wouldve been a breakaway had that been EP40

• Hydration 1

My read of the two is, Juolevi has a fundamental flaw. He's been a Pro for 4 years. The flaw may be due to past injury which is too bad but none the less to my way of thinking is if he hasn't been unable to correct it by now it ain't going to happen. It likely accounts for his diabolic negative number in the AHL, at one time he had to worse +/- in the entire AHL for a defenseman. He has size although he is underweight for his position. He can make a good pass but he also can be caught out of position.

Chatfield has his flaws to but his skating is good, his positioning has to improve if he wants to play is the NHL. He can and is more physical. His flaws IMO can be over come with time and experience. Greens system of the D jumping in is not good for all players ( think Jordy Benn ) but Chatfield is doing as told and does pinch in or become the extra player on the rush. Unfortunately that some times lead to being caught up ice. That however happens to all the D in the Green system.

There's going to be some chnages on the D this coming summer so opportunities are there for both of them.

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

How ridiculous. 
The kid has plenty of time and has shown well in his short time in the NHL.  
His injuries have held him back big time, and he is still trying to get his knee strength and skating back.    It takes a loooong time. 

That alone is a major reason why he hasn’t been in games, and obviously CAN and most likely will be corrected.  

AHL + -     Really?   You are going to talk about that?    Hahahah

lets say this.   It’s probably not goi g to look great when you are pretty well playing on one leg.     And considering he is still rehabbing that knee, it’s fair to say it was bad last year.  

Good size and under weight?    Quinn Hughes says hi.  

Caught out of position some times?   A rookie?   No way.  Get out of town.   Lol!

How damn dramatic do we really need to be?

apparently drama is your preferred mode 

12 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

How ridiculous. 
The kid has plenty of time and has shown well in his short time in the NHL.  
His injuries have held him back big time, and he is still trying to get his knee strength and skating back.    It takes a loooong time. 

That alone is a major reason why he hasn’t been in games, and obviously CAN and most likely will be corrected.  

AHL + -     Really?   You are going to talk about that?    Hahahah

lets say this.   It’s probably not goi g to look great when you are pretty well playing on one leg.     And considering he is still rehabbing that knee, it’s fair to say it was bad last year.  

Good size and under weight?    Quinn Hughes says hi.  

Caught out of position some times?   A rookie?   No way.  Get out of town.   Lol!

How damn dramatic do we really need to be?

Juolevi has been steady and rarely gets caught, his brain operates to make the simple plays and helps transition pucks up ice quickly. He does small things like bank puck off boards so our winger can skate onto it or hold it for an additional second so the player can receive the puck. Definitely a gem of a dman that plays a tough position. We are lucky to have him playing healthy and look forward to him being a solid Canuck for the next 10 years. :towel:

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1

I do think stating OJ can’t improve his skating is a stretch. He’s had 2 knee injuries that were thankfully unrelated to each other.

We’ve seen what time can do. Look at Gadjovich who’s speed was in question last year and really turned the table in that regard this one. 

Time will ultimately be the decider. 

54 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I do think stating OJ can’t improve his skating is a stretch. He’s had 2 knee injuries that were thankfully unrelated to each other.

We’ve seen what time can do. Look at Gadjovich who’s speed was in question last year and really turned the table in that regard this one. 

Time will ultimately be the decider. 

Some aspects of playing hockey are developed in early days development. I think his injuries likely play a part in his progression which is a shame but you have to deal with it. It's been on display this season. He's 23 next month and has managed 16 games in the NHL. Some tell us don't worry he's young and he can get better ..... really. We used to joke about Tanev/Salo being china dolls I just don't know how the facts can be overlooked. He certainly couldn't knock an aging Edler out of the roster and truth be told Benn either. Playing in the NHL is about competition

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He's 23 next month and has managed 16 games in the NHL.

Yes; he is just turning 23. Chatfield is turning 25 and Rafferty is turning 26 in just over a month. Must be to late for them too by your calculations. Oh... bye the way Juolevi weighs more than either one. Guess you don't really do much research other than the Canucks roster page and hockey db. Those sites are notorious for not getting updated.

FYI .. Juolevi is 198 lbs, Chatfield is 187 lbs and Rafferty is 193 lbs. I would hardly consider Juolevi to be underweight as you had stated in a previous post. As for his mobility; he still has work to do to improve on that but physio and an off season of training can go a long ways to correcting that.

Personally; if I could only choose one player to advance to the NHL and play in over 200 games, it would be Juolevi. At soon to be 23 he has played more NHL games than Chatfield and Rafferty combined and at a younger age.

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Yes; he is just turning 23. Chatfield is turning 25 and Rafferty is turning 26 in just over a month. Must be to late for them too by your calculations. Oh... bye the way Juolevi weighs more than either one. Guess you don't really do much research other than the Canucks roster page and hockey db. Those sites are notorious for not getting updated.

FYI .. Juolevi is 198 lbs, Chatfield is 187 lbs and Rafferty is 193 lbs. I would hardly consider Juolevi to be underweight as you had stated in a previous post. As for his mobility; he still has work to do to improve on that but physio and an off season of training can go a long ways to correcting that.

Personally; if I could only choose one player to advance to the NHL and play in over 200 games, it would be Juolevi. At soon to be 23 he has played more NHL games than Chatfield and Rafferty combined and at a younger age.

Why perpetuate discussion with someone who is an obvious expert?  You, I and everyone are most certainly wrong.  Let the expert shadow box. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Some aspects of playing hockey are developed in early days development. I think his injuries likely play a part in his progression which is a shame but you have to deal with it. It's been on display this season. He's 23 next month and has managed 16 games in the NHL. Some tell us don't worry he's young and he can get better ..... really. We used to joke about Tanev/Salo being china dolls I just don't know how the facts can be overlooked. He certainly couldn't knock an aging Edler out of the roster and truth be told Benn either. Playing in the NHL is about competition

Some aspects but major injuries can change those aspects. These types of injuries also put an anchor on player development and only in this last year and a bit was he able to finally cut that anchor. 

As I stated sometimes it takes time. OJ will still have time to grow and improve.  He will be given the opportunity to do so.

Time will ultimately tell. 

Just now, filthycanuck said:

That pass he made near the end of the game to Hawrychuk (whatever u spell it), thats special. Absolute laser, right on the tape

Yeah he had his head up and as soon as he looked that way at Hawryluk *zoom*.  He also made a breakaway pass to Vesey that Vesey couldn't handle in his first game back.

Looked sluggish at times(as did a lot of guys likely due to COVID and maybe could of played the first PP goal against better(but a couple others were just as at fault if not more + that was a really good pass at the line by the Sens + lucky deflection).

Looks like he'll be able to play with Myers again next game with Edler coming back which will be good for OJ. I don't think Chatfield and OJ mesh well. Chatfield was always relaying the puck back to OJ and put OJ in the position mostly to make breakout passes. Both got hemmed up a lot too. 

Really hard to judge his game right now after so much time off and after having COVID. So many setbacks. I expect to see improvements over the course of next season.