The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

I do think stating OJ can’t improve his skating is a stretch. He’s had 2 knee injuries that were thankfully unrelated to each other.

We’ve seen what time can do. Look at Gadjovich who’s speed was in question last year and really turned the table in that regard this one. 

Time will ultimately be the decider. 

54 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I do think stating OJ can’t improve his skating is a stretch. He’s had 2 knee injuries that were thankfully unrelated to each other.

We’ve seen what time can do. Look at Gadjovich who’s speed was in question last year and really turned the table in that regard this one. 

Time will ultimately be the decider. 

Some aspects of playing hockey are developed in early days development. I think his injuries likely play a part in his progression which is a shame but you have to deal with it. It's been on display this season. He's 23 next month and has managed 16 games in the NHL. Some tell us don't worry he's young and he can get better ..... really. We used to joke about Tanev/Salo being china dolls I just don't know how the facts can be overlooked. He certainly couldn't knock an aging Edler out of the roster and truth be told Benn either. Playing in the NHL is about competition

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He's 23 next month and has managed 16 games in the NHL.

Yes; he is just turning 23. Chatfield is turning 25 and Rafferty is turning 26 in just over a month. Must be to late for them too by your calculations. Oh... bye the way Juolevi weighs more than either one. Guess you don't really do much research other than the Canucks roster page and hockey db. Those sites are notorious for not getting updated.

FYI .. Juolevi is 198 lbs, Chatfield is 187 lbs and Rafferty is 193 lbs. I would hardly consider Juolevi to be underweight as you had stated in a previous post. As for his mobility; he still has work to do to improve on that but physio and an off season of training can go a long ways to correcting that.

Personally; if I could only choose one player to advance to the NHL and play in over 200 games, it would be Juolevi. At soon to be 23 he has played more NHL games than Chatfield and Rafferty combined and at a younger age.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Yes; he is just turning 23. Chatfield is turning 25 and Rafferty is turning 26 in just over a month. Must be to late for them too by your calculations. Oh... bye the way Juolevi weighs more than either one. Guess you don't really do much research other than the Canucks roster page and hockey db. Those sites are notorious for not getting updated.

FYI .. Juolevi is 198 lbs, Chatfield is 187 lbs and Rafferty is 193 lbs. I would hardly consider Juolevi to be underweight as you had stated in a previous post. As for his mobility; he still has work to do to improve on that but physio and an off season of training can go a long ways to correcting that.

Personally; if I could only choose one player to advance to the NHL and play in over 200 games, it would be Juolevi. At soon to be 23 he has played more NHL games than Chatfield and Rafferty combined and at a younger age.

Why perpetuate discussion with someone who is an obvious expert?  You, I and everyone are most certainly wrong.  Let the expert shadow box. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Some aspects of playing hockey are developed in early days development. I think his injuries likely play a part in his progression which is a shame but you have to deal with it. It's been on display this season. He's 23 next month and has managed 16 games in the NHL. Some tell us don't worry he's young and he can get better ..... really. We used to joke about Tanev/Salo being china dolls I just don't know how the facts can be overlooked. He certainly couldn't knock an aging Edler out of the roster and truth be told Benn either. Playing in the NHL is about competition

Some aspects but major injuries can change those aspects. These types of injuries also put an anchor on player development and only in this last year and a bit was he able to finally cut that anchor. 

As I stated sometimes it takes time. OJ will still have time to grow and improve.  He will be given the opportunity to do so.

Time will ultimately tell. 

Just now, filthycanuck said:

That pass he made near the end of the game to Hawrychuk (whatever u spell it), thats special. Absolute laser, right on the tape

Yeah he had his head up and as soon as he looked that way at Hawryluk *zoom*.  He also made a breakaway pass to Vesey that Vesey couldn't handle in his first game back.

Looked sluggish at times(as did a lot of guys likely due to COVID and maybe could of played the first PP goal against better(but a couple others were just as at fault if not more + that was a really good pass at the line by the Sens + lucky deflection).

Looks like he'll be able to play with Myers again next game with Edler coming back which will be good for OJ. I don't think Chatfield and OJ mesh well. Chatfield was always relaying the puck back to OJ and put OJ in the position mostly to make breakout passes. Both got hemmed up a lot too. 

Really hard to judge his game right now after so much time off and after having COVID. So many setbacks. I expect to see improvements over the course of next season.

On 4/20/2021 at 12:39 PM, Fred65 said:

Well if this doesn't fit the pro Juolevi narrative so be it, this is a player who for the entire season despite being available to play has been kept out of the starting roster. Occasionally they throw him a bone but the next game he's sat again. Some have low opinions of the coaching staff but I tend to think they study players closely before they make their decissions and of course Greens job is on the line so if he thought Juolevi could help you can bet he'd have him suiting up. I defer to those in a better position than me. You always hope but so far he's failed the Green test

On 4/22/2021 at 12:18 PM, Fred65 said:

My read of the two is, Juolevi has a fundamental flaw. He's been a Pro for 4 years. The flaw may be due to past injury which is too bad but none the less to my way of thinking is if he hasn't been unable to correct it by now it ain't going to happen. It likely accounts for his diabolic negative number in the AHL, at one time he had to worse +/- in the entire AHL for a defenseman. He has size although he is underweight for his position. He can make a good pass but he also can be caught out of position.

Chatfield has his flaws to but his skating is good, his positioning has to improve if he wants to play is the NHL. He can and is more physical. His flaws IMO can be over come with time and experience. Greens system of the D jumping in is not good for all players ( think Jordy Benn ) but Chatfield is doing as told and does pinch in or become the extra player on the rush. Unfortunately that some times lead to being caught up ice. That however happens to all the D in the Green system.

There's going to be some chnages on the D this coming summer so opportunities are there for both of them.

I think the only narrative not fitting Juolevi is yours. Once again, your read is incorrect.

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Up and down game for OJ tonight. Made some iffy plays late in the 1st but played alright after that. -1 but that was on that 2nd goal that might of deflected off Myers that I am sure Holtby might want back.

I thought he was solid........he's so patient with the puck and he's got some serious passing skills.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought he was solid........he's so patient with the puck and he's got some serious passing skills.

I wouldn't consider him a difference maker and considering he was taken 5th O/A  in the world 5 years ago. He is a RFA this summer and at that point some one in management has to put a value on him   ....  what would you guess ?? He certainly will not get Hughes money will he ?  so I'd guess maybe $1.5 Mill and I'm being generous

Edited by Fred65

I think we need to see more consistent Juolevi to iron out all these little errors we're seeing. He was really shaky to start the season and then he was lights-out good after he got comfortable. Now he's playing after a long break and is in-and-out of the lineup alongside Chatfield.

Everyone thought this would be the year he'd break in and be a regular but he's just had a few little splashes of ice-time. I'm hoping he plays more next season but that means one of our big-6 are going to be let go, and I hope it's not Hamonic because no one else can really play well with Hughes.

The real question is, does management think that Juolevi can play 15-17 minutes every night next year and let Edler walk? I think Juolevi is more than capable and we need to see that level of consistent ice-time.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we need to see more consistent Juolevi to iron out all these little errors we're seeing. He was really shaky to start the season and then he was lights-out good after he got comfortable. Now he's playing after a long break and is in-and-out of the lineup alongside Chatfield.

Everyone thought this would be the year he'd break in and be a regular but he's just had a few little splashes of ice-time. I'm hoping he plays more next season but that means one of our big-6 are going to be let go, and I hope it's not Hamonic because no one else can really play well with Hughes.

The real question is, does management think that Juolevi can play 15-17 minutes every night next year and let Edler walk? I think Juolevi is more than capable and we need to see that level of consistent ice-time.

What do you think of chatfield? Everything I’ve seen from him I haven’t seen much upside him and OJ are getting hemmed in the zone a lot.

11 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

What do you think of chatfield? Everything I’ve seen from him I haven’t seen much upside him and OJ are getting hemmed in the zone a lot.

To be honest I'm not Chatfield's biggest fan for a number of reasons:

1) He doesn't really bring anything to the table. Juolevi is a former high pick, big body, advertised as the next Edler. Hughes brings mad offence and skating. Tryamkin brings size and physicality. Rathbone brings passing ability and skating. Chatfield doesn't particularly excel at anything in particular so it'll be hard for him to carve out a niche on this blueline.

2) Chatfield does skate and pass averagely-well but every defender coming into the league should be able to do this. 

3) He always seems a step behind the play, whereas Juolevi is right with it if not a step ahead of the play. Seems like a silly thing to say but it's what we see on the ice and it's broken down due to tiny little things like positioning, stick-work and hockey IQ. Chatfield just always seems to be chasing the puck and play.

4) Far too many mistakes, look at Juolevi who rarely makes them and Chatfield who coughed up far too many which is what you'd expect from a rookie.

5) Sadly, most importantly is that he takes a roster spot away when we have so many decent defencemen, especially young ones, who need to play. When Chatfield is dressed he gets 10 minutes a night which means our big guys need to play more which isn't sustainable. Juolevi can hold his own, and decently, for at least 15 minutes which is what you need (at least) from your 6th defencemen, we can't have a "fourth line" of defencemen.

I'm probably a bit biased because I prefer seeing Juolevi dressed than Chatfield but those are the reasons why, and to be honest with Rathbone playing as well as he is (and also a very likely top-10 pick coming back this year as another slick defenceman) we don't have a spot for an average defender. 

Hughes, Myers, Schmidt and Juolevi are all young and hopefully our top-4 for a while now. Hamonic has been brilliant and should be re-signed as a stable number 5 guy and he's not that old either. Edler will be departing soon, but there's still no room for Chatfield to bust in unless he brings more/is better than that top-5 and I don't really see it. Also, our PP is basically set with Hughes (and the rest taking up the scraps of PP time) and Chatfield is nowhere near as strong as even Juolevi (who IMO has been a stud at this) on the PK.

Shame because I really liked him 1-2 years ago, he was touted as the next Tanev, but he's far too sloppy for that.