The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not saying that Hunter never made that comment but this is the only thing I could find. He was commenting on the Knights that would be taken in the draft. Do you remember where you might have seen that as I’d be curious to see it?

Olli Juolevi

“The first month here, he was good but didn’t show like he did in the second half. When you come over from the bigger ice, you have to speed up your game. Once he did that, he was really good. You see him at world juniors and playoffs. He just kept getting better. In Pittsburgh, all they talked about was puck-moving defencemen making the outlet to keep the offence going. That’s what he did for us.”

It was radio interview

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The biggest difference between Höglander, Rathbone and Juolevi is that neither Rathbone nor Höglander have had to battle through a serious and long lasting injury (yet). Juolevi has not had that good fortune. I am not promoting him in any way; just willing to wait and see if he can re-gain his lateral movement in his skating (he is only 23). The rest of his game translates well to the NHL game.

He's been healthy, just like Hoglander and Rathbone all season. If you can't see the difference in impacts then maybe you're delusional B)

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

He's been healthy, just like Hoglander and Rathbone all season. If you can't see the difference in impacts then maybe you're delusional B)

And you know this for fact.... look in a mirror Fred if you want to see what delusional looks like.

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’m not saying that Hunter never made that comment but this is the only thing I could find. He was commenting on the Knights that would be taken in the draft. Do you remember where you might have seen that as I’d be curious to see it?

Olli Juolevi

“The first month here, he was good but didn’t show like he did in the second half. When you come over from the bigger ice, you have to speed up your game. Once he did that, he was really good. You see him at world juniors and playoffs. He just kept getting better. In Pittsburgh, all they talked about was puck-moving defencemen making the outlet to keep the offence going. That’s what he did for us.”

JB said at the draft something like he is capable of being a number 1 dman and then the following year or so after he was like we still have hope he can be a top 4 dman.. and I just find it odd that so quickly he can go from being number 1 calibre to top 4 it seemed like once JB saw more of him he realized he only had top 4 potential which kinda sucks for a top 5 pick. 

Edited by SirCosmoDuffGordon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

JB said at the draft something like he is capable of being a number 1 dman and then the following year or so after he was like we still have hope he can be a top 4 dman.. and I just find it odd that so quickly he can go from being number 1 calibre to top 4 it seemed like once JB saw more of him he realize he only had top 4 potential which kinda sucks for a top 4 pick. 

Hey don't let the facts get in the way for these cheerleader  ::D

39 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Ok, at this point I’m going to assume you are one of OJ’s cousins or that Ron Zipp (I think thats his name) guy who would show up on the boards from time to time to extoll Juolevi’s virtues and educate us Canuck fan peons on the truth of hockey matters.

Did you miss the fact that current or recent Juolevi isn’t exactly living up to the promise of his 5th overall draft selection? Whatever his pre-draft scouting report was has very little bearing on how he looks right now. His injury history is somewhat extensive and gas take a toll on his mobility. I was excited when we drafted him after seeing him on the gold medal winning Finnish team at the world juniors and still want him to succeed. The idea of “hate-juice” is laughable. Some of us have EYES with which we watch the game and come to clear and obvious conclusions.

You're a fricken clown. Go puck yourself and take Fred with you. Beat it you losers. His skating ability WAS rated as elite. Not sure why that's so difficult for idiots like you to grasp. Puck off! 

• Hydration 1

7 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

And you know this for fact.... look in a mirror Fred if you want to see what delusional looks like.

Sorry you see it that way, we just have to agree to disagree .... and I hope it's me that's wrong

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

You're a fricken clown. Go puck yourself and take Fred with you. Beat it you losers. His skating ability WAS rated as elite. Not sure why that's so difficult for idiots like you to grasp. Puck off! 

Your comments speak volumes :(

1 minute ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

JB said at the draft something like he is capable of being a number 1 dman and then the following year or so after he was like we still have hope he can be a top 4 dman.. and I just find it odd that so quickly he can go from being number 1 calibre to top 4 it seemed like once JB saw more of him he realize he only had top 4 potential which kinda sucks for a top 4 pick. 

I don’t know what his ceiling was before or after his injury was or is but the draft went the way it did. I personally wanted to pick  Sergachev myself but was ok with Juolevi 5th overall at the time so I can’t complain.

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t know what his ceiling was before or after his injury was or is but the draft went the way it did. I personally wanted to pick  Sergachev myself but was ok with Juolevi 5th overall at the time so I can’t complain.

SERGACHEV,  MCAVOY or even CHYCHRUN. There were choices

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The main drawback with Juolevi is clearly the knee injury. For anybody whining about his progression is ridiculous. He just turned 23 and he's showing signs of being a phenomenal player in a lot of ways, including PP and PK. Plus, he showed that he can actually play on the right side, being a lefty. An added bonus. 

He's a great player, guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

The main drawback with Juolevi is clearly the knee injury. For anybody whining about his progression is ridiculous. He just turned 23 and he's showing signs of being a phenomenal player in a lot of ways, including PP and PK. Plus, he showed that he can actually play on the right side, being a lefty. An added bonus. 

Lost In Never Never Land

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Rankings for D                   OJ      Sergachev      Chycrun      Macavoy

Sportsnet                             6.             10.                 12.               11

HockeyProspect.com.         6.               8.                  14.               13

MyNHLDraft.com.                6.               9.                  13.               14

ABC.                                     8.             11.                  17.               26

TheDraftAnalyst.                  9.             12.                    2.               31

TSN (NA skaters)                  5.              8.                    4.                6    

The consensus seemed to be Juolevi, Sergachev, Chycrun, Macavoy pre-draft. As I said I liked Sergachev at the time but I certainly couldn’t say it was a bad pick at the time. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Rankings for D                   OJ      Sergachev      Chycrun      Macavoy

Sportsnet                             6.             10.                 12.               11

HockeyProspect.com.         6.               8.                  14.               13

MyNHLDraft.com.                6.               9.                  13.               14

ABC.                                     8.             11.                  17.               26

TheDraftAnalyst.                  9.             12.                    2.               31

TSN (NA skaters)                  5.              8.                    4.                6    

The consensus seemed to be Juolevi, Sergachev, Chycrun, Macavoy pre-draft. As I said I liked Sergachev at the time but I certainly couldn’t say it was a bad pick at the time. 

All those scouts had no idea OJ  couldn't pivot or he'd be ranked way way lower...I watched him play a lot for the knights, the kids got skills . By mid season of next year you'll hear the naysayers making up excuses as to why they made these rushed statements.

• Hydration 3

1 minute ago, Dannydog said:

All those scouts had no idea OJ  couldn't pivot or he'd be ranked way way lower...I watched him play a lot for the knights, the kids got skills . By mid season of next year you'll hear the naysayers making up excuses as to why they made these rushed statements.

If he is able to regain the strength and flexibility in his damaged knee he will surprise a lot of the naysayers on here. If he is unable to progress beyond that, he could still be a good 5/6/7 D man as his passing and processing of the game is very good IMO.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

“Puck off!”, eh? Nice to see the 12 year old demographic well represented here on the Canucks.com forum! 

• Haha 1

He was slow out of the gates at first with London,  He's a thinker, once he processes the game in the NHL completely he will apply his skills accordingly. There wont be  a sophmore year slump for OJ,he will just keep getting better.

• Hydration 1

Some “Facts” to chew on

OJ (44.5 % OZ starts)

32.48 minutes between GA and 23.55 minutes between GF (Even-Strength)

QH (62.2 % OZ starts)

16.07 minutes between GA and 25.79 minutes between GF (Even-Strength)

Seems we win more games playing OJ more than QH at even strength 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1