The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

You're a fricken clown. Go puck yourself and take Fred with you. Beat it you losers. His skating ability WAS rated as elite. Not sure why that's so difficult for idiots like you to grasp. Puck off! 

Your comments speak volumes :(

1 minute ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

JB said at the draft something like he is capable of being a number 1 dman and then the following year or so after he was like we still have hope he can be a top 4 dman.. and I just find it odd that so quickly he can go from being number 1 calibre to top 4 it seemed like once JB saw more of him he realize he only had top 4 potential which kinda sucks for a top 4 pick. 

I don’t know what his ceiling was before or after his injury was or is but the draft went the way it did. I personally wanted to pick  Sergachev myself but was ok with Juolevi 5th overall at the time so I can’t complain.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I don’t know what his ceiling was before or after his injury was or is but the draft went the way it did. I personally wanted to pick  Sergachev myself but was ok with Juolevi 5th overall at the time so I can’t complain.

SERGACHEV,  MCAVOY or even CHYCHRUN. There were choices

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

The main drawback with Juolevi is clearly the knee injury. For anybody whining about his progression is ridiculous. He just turned 23 and he's showing signs of being a phenomenal player in a lot of ways, including PP and PK. Plus, he showed that he can actually play on the right side, being a lefty. An added bonus. 

He's a great player, guaranteed. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

The main drawback with Juolevi is clearly the knee injury. For anybody whining about his progression is ridiculous. He just turned 23 and he's showing signs of being a phenomenal player in a lot of ways, including PP and PK. Plus, he showed that he can actually play on the right side, being a lefty. An added bonus. 

Lost In Never Never Land

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Rankings for D                   OJ      Sergachev      Chycrun      Macavoy

Sportsnet                             6.             10.                 12.               11

HockeyProspect.com.         6.               8.                  14.               13

MyNHLDraft.com.                6.               9.                  13.               14

ABC.                                     8.             11.                  17.               26

TheDraftAnalyst.                  9.             12.                    2.               31

TSN (NA skaters)                  5.              8.                    4.                6    

The consensus seemed to be Juolevi, Sergachev, Chycrun, Macavoy pre-draft. As I said I liked Sergachev at the time but I certainly couldn’t say it was a bad pick at the time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Rankings for D                   OJ      Sergachev      Chycrun      Macavoy

Sportsnet                             6.             10.                 12.               11

HockeyProspect.com.         6.               8.                  14.               13

MyNHLDraft.com.                6.               9.                  13.               14

ABC.                                     8.             11.                  17.               26

TheDraftAnalyst.                  9.             12.                    2.               31

TSN (NA skaters)                  5.              8.                    4.                6    

The consensus seemed to be Juolevi, Sergachev, Chycrun, Macavoy pre-draft. As I said I liked Sergachev at the time but I certainly couldn’t say it was a bad pick at the time. 

All those scouts had no idea OJ  couldn't pivot or he'd be ranked way way lower...I watched him play a lot for the knights, the kids got skills . By mid season of next year you'll hear the naysayers making up excuses as to why they made these rushed statements.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dannydog said:

All those scouts had no idea OJ  couldn't pivot or he'd be ranked way way lower...I watched him play a lot for the knights, the kids got skills . By mid season of next year you'll hear the naysayers making up excuses as to why they made these rushed statements.

If he is able to regain the strength and flexibility in his damaged knee he will surprise a lot of the naysayers on here. If he is unable to progress beyond that, he could still be a good 5/6/7 D man as his passing and processing of the game is very good IMO.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

You're a fricken clown. Go puck yourself and take Fred with you. Beat it you losers. His skating ability WAS rated as elite. Not sure why that's so difficult for idiots like you to grasp. Puck off! 

“Puck off!”, eh? Nice to see the 12 year old demographic well represented here on the Canucks.com forum! 

• Haha 1

He was slow out of the gates at first with London,  He's a thinker, once he processes the game in the NHL completely he will apply his skills accordingly. There wont be  a sophmore year slump for OJ,he will just keep getting better.

• Cheers 1

Some “Facts” to chew on

OJ (44.5 % OZ starts)

32.48 minutes between GA and 23.55 minutes between GF (Even-Strength)

QH (62.2 % OZ starts)

16.07 minutes between GA and 25.79 minutes between GF (Even-Strength)

Seems we win more games playing OJ more than QH at even strength 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Never really was a fan of the pick to begin with (Chychrun or Keller were the ones I wanted), but was satisfied as he was a safe bet on becoming a serviceable NHL player.

Looking back though, watching his peers around him grow into impact players for their clubs. Kind of stings a bit, especially when there wasn’t really a consensus top defensemen in the draft.

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

OJ looks like he’s going to still be a player with us.  Plus, during rebuilding phases every team (even further cup winners) have misses with high picks.  The Hawks took Cam Barker (3OA)during their rebuild.  The took Jack Skille (8OA) too.  Those misses need to be covered by hits in the later rounds, which the Hawks did. 

We still have OJ, who will certainly be a useful player for us, or a trade chip.  Plus, we have Rathbone as the later round pick that covers the OJ miss.  

I don't really get all the knocks on OJ, tbh. If say we had traded for him this year I think the narrative would be different. but all this Benning history gets thrown in there and colours the narrative a lot imo. 

Seems like a solid kid, he moves well, makes good decisions, Green has said good things. I don't know why he's not in over Edler but you may be right, it could just be giving a veteran his last few games. 

• Cheers 3

19 hours ago, SirCosmoDuffGordon said:

JB said at the draft something like he is capable of being a number 1 dman and then the following year or so after he was like we still have hope he can be a top 4 dman.. and I just find it odd that so quickly he can go from being number 1 calibre to top 4 it seemed like once JB saw more of him he realized he only had top 4 potential which kinda sucks for a top 5 pick. 

I have never seen nor heard JB say Olli could become a number 1 dman. Link please.

21 hours ago, Alexandre said:

Here is what I could find so far, JB quoted about Olli at the draft.

“I don’t know if there’s a true No. 1 defenseman (in the draft),” Benning told TSN 1040 radio. “If you look through the league right now, there’s maybe eight or ten No. 1 defensemen in the whole league.”

And so the Canucks may choose a winger like Matthew Tkachuk or, perhaps more likely, a center like Logan Brown. If Pierre-Luc Dubois doesn’t get picked at No. 4, he’d certainly be an option, too.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/24/canucks-opt-to-bolster-blue-line-select-olli-juolevi-fifth-overall/

If I remember correctly, I have heard Benning say a number of times, that Olli, in his assesment, projects to be a number 2 dman.

Dubois was the nucks pick but they took him before us.

If Green let the kids play he will be the next Edler and he is part of the core.