Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D


b3.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

I saw the play you are referring to.  IMO, Olli needs 20 to 40 games to fully acclimate himself to the pace of the NHL...if we're having the same conversation in February 2022, then I'll be a little concerned.  But til then, I think Olli deserves the benefit of doubt.  Gonna state the obvious here...all young d-men need a little time to adapt to the pace of the NHL.

 

Olli will be just fine.  But why don't we re-visit this next February?  Fair enough?

That's exactly what I was trying to point out - you need a larger sample size. Afaik, OJ's hockey IQ and playmaking ability are his calling cards and have never been in question. During the draft, iirc, those were the 2 things he pointed out were his strengths. It was always his skating that people have pointed out as a big area of improvement. Imho, he doesn't need to get it to an elite level; he "just" needs to get it to an above-average level for a D-man, and then he can start realizing the number 2 D-man potential that JB said he was hoping for when he drafted him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, HKSR said:

There has been so much pressure on OJ to become a Top 2 defenceman, but in reality, I think he will top out as a Top 4.  Which is completely fine at this stage given the top pairing LHD is Quinn Hughes.  Watching OJ play this past season, you can see the swagger, the size and strength, and the puck moving ability. 

 

Honestly, I see Alec Martinez as a comparable, or even Jonas Brodin.  Give OJ a couple more years and he will be a regular in the Top 4 and be able to eat some big minutes.

I agree. People think just because OJ is this top draft pick that hes going to skate like the wind like Quinn and Boner that hes going to be this dynamic D-man. He doesn't need to be. Thats not his game. Its perfectly fine for him to be just a steady dman that fires crisp passes, he'll still have some value to the team. He's not going to be a Norris trophy winner but certainly capable of topping out as a top 4 pairing guy, which ANY team will take with a player drafted in the first round. OJ has shown enough that hes at the very least a capable roster player, but Im telling ya, those laser passes of his, thats just a tease of what his capable of

  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I completely agree with this. I'm not sure if it's recency bias or what, but pre-covid I thought OJ was looking good. He definitely didn't play enough, and post covid looked pretty rough though. I hear a lot of hate on OJ, and maybe that's because he looked not so good while Rathbone looked surprising solid at the end of the season. I have increased high hopes for the next couple years after what I saw from OJ this year overall.

If the guy drafted after wasn't Matt Tkachuk, people wouldn't be making a big deal out of it. IMO Rathbone just looked ok, theres potential there but I wouldn't peg him to be the guy to just give up on OJ yet. Remember Lee Sweatte ( i forgot how to spell his name)? Looked pretty good when he was here, had a shot, can skate, but hes out of the league but sure looked pretty out there on the ice. Troy Stetcher, not as fancy, still in the league. If OJ even becomes Troy Stetcher, thats  already a win for us

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/9/2021 at 10:36 AM, Sativika said:

.A great showing with London Knights and promising AHL start, only to be plagued by a couple of bad injuries that hindered his development. And a graduated slow intro with the 'Nucks in one playoff game last season, and 20/30 odd games in his rookie campaign this season.

Much like Flow had and off year post injury and personal family stuff, and then having a great comeback season; I would venture that Oli will come out of it and find his game, whatever it may be. We just gotta be patient for now with his deployment. 

 

All the hype will be on Rathbone but I think OJ will slide in quietly as an every game player come opening night

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Juolevi needs to play a ton this coming season. He needs a lot of games. 

 

If he continues to sit in the press box, he’s not going to be getting any better. 

 

Hopefully he can stay healthy long enough to get lots of games in next season. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

All the hype will be on Rathbone but I think OJ will slide in quietly as an every game player come opening night

Rathbone is great, but I think the issue is that we have a similar player in Hughes who would get all of the offensive opportunities. Juolevi might be more suited to be an all around defensemen due to this IQ, size and poise. He just needs to work on his skating. Big summer coming up. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That's exactly what I was trying to point out - you need a larger sample size. Afaik, OJ's hockey IQ and playmaking ability are his calling cards and have never been in question. During the draft, iirc, those were the 2 things he pointed out were his strengths. It was always his skating that people have pointed out as a big area of improvement. Imho, he doesn't need to get it to an elite level; he "just" needs to get it to an above-average level for a D-man, and then he can start realizing the number 2 D-man potential that JB said he was hoping for when he drafted him.

Hope he gets the necessary icetime (?); or they trade an unknown lottery ticket that has the potential to be a top 4 d - X factor is Green; hopefully  Shaw gives him a legit chance.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He needs to focus on his skating this off-season.

He needs to focus on getting stronger and faster like most young players.

 

His skating is one of his strong suits though. This season was tough to evaluate any player especially after the COVID outbreak.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the question would you expect to get a 1st round pick for OJ if you were to trade him ??? I think the best you get is a second round pick

If OJ belonged to another franchise and we had say the 9th pick and the 24th pick this year I would have no issues trading the 24th pick but wouldn't trade the 9th.

 

He's still a bit of an unknown but has tremendous upside and his ceiling is a two way #2-4D on any team in the league and that's worth a 1st rounder.

 

There are of course question marks regarding his injuries and skating so not a clear cut decision.

  • Like 2
  • Hydration 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the question would you expect to get a 1st round pick for OJ if you were to trade him ??? I think the best you get is a second round pick

Or another young guy, who had injuries effect him, like Patrick.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, J-P said:

If OJ belonged to another franchise and we had say the 9th pick and the 24th pick this year I would have no issues trading the 24th pick but wouldn't trade the 9th.

 

He's still a bit of an unknown but has tremendous upside and his ceiling is a two way #2-4D on any team in the league and that's worth a 1st rounder.

 

There are of course question marks regarding his injuries and skating so not a clear cut decision.

That's fair, so he's  worth a lower half first round pick but not a top ten pick

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I think OJ establishes himself as a solid NHL'er  and part of our top 6 D this year and going forward is thought of as a good young Dman with upside. 

So would you be willing to give up a first round pick for him ???

Edited by Fred65
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

So would you be willing to give up a first round pick for him ???

Give up a 1st round pick for OJ? :wacko: Who's willing to give us that?
I would trade him for a 1st round pick ASAP if that was on the table. Highly doubt it is.

  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...