The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Juolevi needs to play a ton this coming season. He needs a lot of games. 

If he continues to sit in the press box, he’s not going to be getting any better. 

Hopefully he can stay healthy long enough to get lots of games in next season. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

All the hype will be on Rathbone but I think OJ will slide in quietly as an every game player come opening night

Rathbone is great, but I think the issue is that we have a similar player in Hughes who would get all of the offensive opportunities. Juolevi might be more suited to be an all around defensemen due to this IQ, size and poise. He just needs to work on his skating. Big summer coming up. 

• Cheers 2

On 6/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, vinny_in_vancouver said:

That's exactly what I was trying to point out - you need a larger sample size. Afaik, OJ's hockey IQ and playmaking ability are his calling cards and have never been in question. During the draft, iirc, those were the 2 things he pointed out were his strengths. It was always his skating that people have pointed out as a big area of improvement. Imho, he doesn't need to get it to an elite level; he "just" needs to get it to an above-average level for a D-man, and then he can start realizing the number 2 D-man potential that JB said he was hoping for when he drafted him.

Hope he gets the necessary icetime (?); or they trade an unknown lottery ticket that has the potential to be a top 4 d - X factor is Green; hopefully  Shaw gives him a legit chance.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He needs to focus on his skating this off-season.

He needs to focus on getting stronger and faster like most young players.

His skating is one of his strong suits though. This season was tough to evaluate any player especially after the COVID outbreak.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the question would you expect to get a 1st round pick for OJ if you were to trade him ??? I think the best you get is a second round pick

If OJ belonged to another franchise and we had say the 9th pick and the 24th pick this year I would have no issues trading the 24th pick but wouldn't trade the 9th.

He's still a bit of an unknown but has tremendous upside and his ceiling is a two way #2-4D on any team in the league and that's worth a 1st rounder.

There are of course question marks regarding his injuries and skating so not a clear cut decision.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Here's the question would you expect to get a 1st round pick for OJ if you were to trade him ??? I think the best you get is a second round pick

Or another young guy, who had injuries effect him, like Patrick.  

2 hours ago, J-P said:

If OJ belonged to another franchise and we had say the 9th pick and the 24th pick this year I would have no issues trading the 24th pick but wouldn't trade the 9th.

He's still a bit of an unknown but has tremendous upside and his ceiling is a two way #2-4D on any team in the league and that's worth a 1st rounder.

There are of course question marks regarding his injuries and skating so not a clear cut decision.

That's fair, so he's  worth a lower half first round pick but not a top ten pick

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I think OJ establishes himself as a solid NHL'er  and part of our top 6 D this year and going forward is thought of as a good young Dman with upside. 

So would you be willing to give up a first round pick for him ???

Edited by Fred65
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

So would you be willing to give up a first round pick for him ???

Give up a 1st round pick for OJ? :wacko: Who's willing to give us that?
I would trade him for a 1st round pick ASAP if that was on the table. Highly doubt it is.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Give up a 1st round pick for OJ? :wacko: Who's willing to give us that?
I would trade him for a 1st round pick ASAP if that was on the table. Highly doubt it is.

Exactly that's what i was trying to say. So many tell me OJ is great or wait until he's healthy or.......... or ......  I don't for the life of me believe he's a first rounder. He's a RFA come the summer , the next question will be how much do you think he'll be offered ???? The proof will be in the pudding ( contract ) I'm thinking they give him 2 years at $1.5 >>

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Exactly that's what i was trying to say. So many tell me OJ is great or wait until he's healthy or.......... or ......  I don't for the life of me believe he's a first rounder. He's a RFA come the summer , the next question will be how much do you think he'll be offered ???? The proof will be in the pudding ( contract ) I'm thinking they give him 2 years at $1.5 >>

I think that's pretty spot on, could even see him get less, and of course he needs to take the next step during that contract - which will definitely be 2 years max - otherwise he won't get a next one.

Doesn't mean he's not a first round talent though, time will tell. Not expecting him to explode offensively, although I could see 30-40 points in the future, but that's a good thing since we need good D that won't break the bank.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2021 at 12:17 AM, Dazzle said:

I can see Brad Shaw turning OJ into an absolute stud that he was supposed to be in the first place.

That would be a turn up but not impossible I guess. That's a good point I hadn't thought about

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1