The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

23 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

You have to address my questions with reason prior to my answering yours.  BTW, Benning stated OJ was amongst or the sickest player from covid… a respiratory disease, which primarily affects the lungs, in ways we do not fully understand yet.  Ask Green about his coaching duties and assignments.  IDK what, ‘waht does he get in hisne contract, he’s an RFA   .’   I would pay him as little as possible and retain his services, which is what GM’s are supposed to do, or trade him.  Is OJ holding out for ‘hisne’, whatever that is?  

I thought I did, OJ was well enough to dress which doesn't coincide with JB statement. He has to be physically well enough to pass the medical staff.  I don't know what JB has going for OJ, maybe trying like Hell to justify the pick. But since joining TPS Turku the guy has been in and out of the line up as a Pro & not just for medical reasons. I really hope he surprises as all in September, but how much money would u be willing to bet on it

29 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think that OJ will be our long term Edler replacement.  Smart, calm, mobile, great passer.  Can play all situations.  I understand the hype of Rathbone and hope he is as great as others hope but I think OJ has a good, long career ahead of him.

Rathbone has already shown me enough to where I think he'll be a NHLer in his limited time.   OJ still has a long way to go.  And unlike Rathbone, he doesn't have time on his side.  

Imho, if we could only protect one D of the two in the expansion draft, it would be Rathbone without hesitation.  I think he eventually will take over the Edler minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think that OJ will be our long term Edler replacement.  Smart, calm, mobile, great passer.  Can play all situations.  I understand the hype of Rathbone and hope he is as great as others hope but I think OJ has a good, long career ahead of him.

I do really hope he can get there, but Edler showed significantly more offensive prowess at the start of his NHL career than Juolevi. Of course, we all know how many setbacks Juolevi has had, so hopefully he can finally get a healthy season and progress forward.

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I thought I did, OJ was well enough to dress which doesn't coincide with JB statement. He has to be physically well enough to pass the medical staff.  I don't know what JB has going for OJ, maybe trying like Hell to justify the pick. But since joining TPS Turku the guy has been in and out of the line up as a Pro & not just for medical reasons. I really hope he surprises as all in September, but how much money would u be willing to bet on it

Since when :lol:, from I remember he was one of TPS's top d-man by the end of the season and playoffs and in the AHL he's only been out when injured. Way to stretch the truth lol

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

“I project him to be a guy that can play against any line in the league,” said Green. “He’s a smart defenceman, he’s big, he moves the puck well, but he’s got things that he’s going to have to work on like a lot of young D to improve into that role.”

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Fred, when your assumptions don’t match the facts, don’t speculate, examine.  

Whether OJ dressed and was fully healthy to play are two different things, instead of asking us he was well enough, often in hockey it is, can it hurt him to dress him or not.  

Thing is, the whole team caught Covid, OJ already had it, therefore, he would truly have to be unlucky to catch it again in the same season. 

Did that occur in your examination of the facts?  

your biased is far more likely than JB having blinders to OJ without your insight and first hand knowledge.  

3 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Fred, when your assumptions don’t match the facts, don’t speculate, examine.  

Whether OJ dressed and was fully healthy to play are two different things, instead of asking us he was well enough, often in hockey it is, can it hurt him to dress him or not.  

Thing is, the whole team caught Covid, OJ already had it, therefore, he would truly have to be unlucky to catch it again in the same season. 

Did that occur in your examination of the facts?  

your biased is far more likely than JB having blinders to OJ without your insight and first hand knowledge.  

OK I hear you, but I'm not convinced that Green would dress a sick player

Edited by Fred65

• 3 weeks later...

I really see Juolevi benefiting the most from the OEL trade. The perfect mentor who play a relatively same style of game. I really hope he takes him under his wing and Olli listens to the Vet. Would be awesome if Olli still pans out and becomes a top 4 Dman.

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, KyGuy123 said:

I really see Juolevi benefiting the most from the OEL trade. The perfect mentor who play a relatively same style of game. I really hope he takes him under his wing and Olli listens to the Vet. Would be awesome if Olli still pans out and becomes a top 4 Dman.

OEL stated in one of the few good questions that he wanted to be a mentor. I think it is a real possibility like Kesler said about Sundin.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 7/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

“I project him to be a guy that can play against any line in the league,” said Green. “He’s a smart defenceman, he’s big, he moves the puck well, but he’s got things that he’s going to have to work on like a lot of young D to improve into that role.”

Think Green knows more than the rest of us.  

That’s a motivational statement.  

It is also a statement Green truly thinks is reachable, or he wouldn’t have stated it,  

The two biggest factors in whether OJ makes the leap to full time NHL, OJ’s work input, Greens work input.  

Well, there hasn’t been a single character issue with OJ, injures.  He will fit right into Tanev’s and Salo’s cursed role of always making sure the Trainer keep stocked on first aid supplies.  

OJ is the reason we park ambulances at hockey arenas.  

free tickets to paramedics every time he plays.  

lol

• Cheers 3
  • Wat 2

I'm very curious what the Canucks will do with Juolevi this season.

Brad Hunt seems like he could be a 7/8 D along with Schenn (if the Canucks carry 2 reserve D).

This signals to me that one of the LD spots will be fought for by Juolevi and Rathbone (Hunt, Brisebois and Stephens as well, for matter).  Administratively speaking, Juolevi may have an advantage since he requires waivers and might be someone another team would claim if waived (at least more so than a guy like Hunt, perhaps).  Additionally, I'm not expecting Juolevi to sign for more than his QO which means he should have a lesser cap hit than Rathbone.  Could be wrong but I don't see how he has much of a case for more asking for more money.

In terms of play style, I personally think Juolevi is a better fit with Myers than any of the other LHD.  Myers likes to roam around the ice and carry the puck, and IMHO he's probably at his best when he's doing that.  Juolevi has good hands and passing ability, but he's much more of a stay at home guy (at this point in this development/career) than Myers.  I'm wondering if management expects Juolevi to fill this spot?

Rathbone's exemption from waiver will probably work against him being a full player next season even if he might deserve it.

My suspicion is that this is a make it or break it year for Juolevi, even if he signs a 2+ year deal.  If Juolevi cannot make the jump this year, then he could be permanently surpassed by Rathbone on the depth chart and could be less of a risky waiver move when assigning him to Abbotsford.  There's also the possibility that even Juolevi's play improves, the Canucks could trade him (once his stock has risen enough) to make room for Rathbone.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Brad Hunt seems like he could be a 7/8 D along with Schenn (if the Canucks carry 2 reserve D).

This signals to me that one of the LD spots will be fought for by Juolevi and Rathbone (Hunt, Brisebois and Stephens as well, for matter).  Administratively speaking, Juolevi may have an advantage since he requires waivers and might be someone another team would claim if waived (at least more so than a guy like Hunt, perhaps).  Additionally, I'm not expecting Juolevi to sign for more than his QO which means he should have a lesser cap hit than Rathbone.  Could be wrong but I don't see how he has much of a case for more asking for more money.

In terms of play style, I personally think Juolevi is a better fit with Myers than any of the other LHD.  Myers likes to roam around the ice and carry the puck, and IMHO he's probably at his best when he's doing that.  Juolevi has good hands and passing ability, but he's much more of a stay at home guy (at this point in this development/career) than Myers.  I'm wondering if management expects Juolevi to fill this spot?

Rathbone's exemption from waiver will probably work against him being a full player next season even if he might deserve it.

My suspicion is that this is a make it or break it year for Juolevi, even if he signs a 2+ year deal.  If Juolevi cannot make the jump this year, then he could be permanently surpassed by Rathbone on the depth chart and could be less of a risky waiver move when assigning him to Abbotsford.  There's also the possibility that even Juolevi's play improves, the Canucks could trade him (once his stock has risen enough) to make room for Rathbone.

What will give a true indication of his value within the team is his upcoming contract. Currenly there is $14 mil however there is going to be a number of players currently showing on the roster who will end up in Abby. They have in addition to Juolevi, Dickinson, Hughes and EP left to sign. I tend to think maybe he may be traded ???

Seeing as the Canucks used a valuable expansion protection spot for Juolevi, my guess is he'll be on the regular squad - or they at least hope he earns a spot.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Poolman

Rathbone

Schenn

Hunt

Burroughs

Woo

Bowey

Keeper

It's going to be a very competitive camp, and what's great is that the farm is now in Abbotsford, so it's not like sending guys across the continent. They're close, so they'll still feel connected.

31 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Awesome post.  This will be the defining season for Olli, so I think they will give him every chance they can, which means Rathbone will play in Abby during the early part of the season.  They will likely carry 7dmen, so I can see them carrying Ollie + Hunt.  Ideally, Ollie proves himself as a solid NHL dman; Rathbone tears it up in the NHL and by the middle of the season, Ollie and Jack share the 3d spot for the rest of the year.

Beyond this season, there will be a tough decision to be made. 

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seeing as the Canucks used a valuable expansion protection spot for Juolevi, my guess is he'll be on the regular squad - or they at least hope he earns a spot.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Poolman

Rathbone

Schenn

Hunt

Burroughs

Woo

Bowey

Keeper

It's going to be a very competitive camp, and what's great is that the farm is now in Abbotsford, so it's not like sending guys across the continent. They're close, so they'll still feel connected.

At very least Vcr sees Juolevi as having value for a trade, hence protecting him. It's funny he just seems like a  forgotten man right now, no mention of him and there's not a lot of money left over to sign him

• Upvote 1