The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

On 7/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

“I project him to be a guy that can play against any line in the league,” said Green. “He’s a smart defenceman, he’s big, he moves the puck well, but he’s got things that he’s going to have to work on like a lot of young D to improve into that role.”

Think Green knows more than the rest of us.  

That’s a motivational statement.  

It is also a statement Green truly thinks is reachable, or he wouldn’t have stated it,  

The two biggest factors in whether OJ makes the leap to full time NHL, OJ’s work input, Greens work input.  

Well, there hasn’t been a single character issue with OJ, injures.  He will fit right into Tanev’s and Salo’s cursed role of always making sure the Trainer keep stocked on first aid supplies.  

OJ is the reason we park ambulances at hockey arenas.  

free tickets to paramedics every time he plays.  

lol

• Hydration 3
  • Wat 2

I'm very curious what the Canucks will do with Juolevi this season.

Brad Hunt seems like he could be a 7/8 D along with Schenn (if the Canucks carry 2 reserve D).

This signals to me that one of the LD spots will be fought for by Juolevi and Rathbone (Hunt, Brisebois and Stephens as well, for matter).  Administratively speaking, Juolevi may have an advantage since he requires waivers and might be someone another team would claim if waived (at least more so than a guy like Hunt, perhaps).  Additionally, I'm not expecting Juolevi to sign for more than his QO which means he should have a lesser cap hit than Rathbone.  Could be wrong but I don't see how he has much of a case for more asking for more money.

In terms of play style, I personally think Juolevi is a better fit with Myers than any of the other LHD.  Myers likes to roam around the ice and carry the puck, and IMHO he's probably at his best when he's doing that.  Juolevi has good hands and passing ability, but he's much more of a stay at home guy (at this point in this development/career) than Myers.  I'm wondering if management expects Juolevi to fill this spot?

Rathbone's exemption from waiver will probably work against him being a full player next season even if he might deserve it.

My suspicion is that this is a make it or break it year for Juolevi, even if he signs a 2+ year deal.  If Juolevi cannot make the jump this year, then he could be permanently surpassed by Rathbone on the depth chart and could be less of a risky waiver move when assigning him to Abbotsford.  There's also the possibility that even Juolevi's play improves, the Canucks could trade him (once his stock has risen enough) to make room for Rathbone.

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Brad Hunt seems like he could be a 7/8 D along with Schenn (if the Canucks carry 2 reserve D).

This signals to me that one of the LD spots will be fought for by Juolevi and Rathbone (Hunt, Brisebois and Stephens as well, for matter).  Administratively speaking, Juolevi may have an advantage since he requires waivers and might be someone another team would claim if waived (at least more so than a guy like Hunt, perhaps).  Additionally, I'm not expecting Juolevi to sign for more than his QO which means he should have a lesser cap hit than Rathbone.  Could be wrong but I don't see how he has much of a case for more asking for more money.

In terms of play style, I personally think Juolevi is a better fit with Myers than any of the other LHD.  Myers likes to roam around the ice and carry the puck, and IMHO he's probably at his best when he's doing that.  Juolevi has good hands and passing ability, but he's much more of a stay at home guy (at this point in this development/career) than Myers.  I'm wondering if management expects Juolevi to fill this spot?

Rathbone's exemption from waiver will probably work against him being a full player next season even if he might deserve it.

My suspicion is that this is a make it or break it year for Juolevi, even if he signs a 2+ year deal.  If Juolevi cannot make the jump this year, then he could be permanently surpassed by Rathbone on the depth chart and could be less of a risky waiver move when assigning him to Abbotsford.  There's also the possibility that even Juolevi's play improves, the Canucks could trade him (once his stock has risen enough) to make room for Rathbone.

What will give a true indication of his value within the team is his upcoming contract. Currenly there is $14 mil however there is going to be a number of players currently showing on the roster who will end up in Abby. They have in addition to Juolevi, Dickinson, Hughes and EP left to sign. I tend to think maybe he may be traded ???

Seeing as the Canucks used a valuable expansion protection spot for Juolevi, my guess is he'll be on the regular squad - or they at least hope he earns a spot.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Poolman

Rathbone

Schenn

Hunt

Burroughs

Woo

Bowey

Keeper

It's going to be a very competitive camp, and what's great is that the farm is now in Abbotsford, so it's not like sending guys across the continent. They're close, so they'll still feel connected.

31 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Awesome post.  This will be the defining season for Olli, so I think they will give him every chance they can, which means Rathbone will play in Abby during the early part of the season.  They will likely carry 7dmen, so I can see them carrying Ollie + Hunt.  Ideally, Ollie proves himself as a solid NHL dman; Rathbone tears it up in the NHL and by the middle of the season, Ollie and Jack share the 3d spot for the rest of the year.

Beyond this season, there will be a tough decision to be made. 

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Seeing as the Canucks used a valuable expansion protection spot for Juolevi, my guess is he'll be on the regular squad - or they at least hope he earns a spot.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Hamonic

Juolevi - Poolman

Rathbone

Schenn

Hunt

Burroughs

Woo

Bowey

Keeper

It's going to be a very competitive camp, and what's great is that the farm is now in Abbotsford, so it's not like sending guys across the continent. They're close, so they'll still feel connected.

At very least Vcr sees Juolevi as having value for a trade, hence protecting him. It's funny he just seems like a  forgotten man right now, no mention of him and there's not a lot of money left over to sign him

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Awesome post.  This will be the defining season for Olli, so I think they will give him every chance they can, which means Rathbone will play in Abby during the early part of the season.  They will likely carry 7dmen, so I can see them carrying Ollie + Hunt.  Ideally, Ollie proves himself as a solid NHL dman; Rathbone tears it up in the NHL and by the middle of the season, Ollie and Jack share the 3d spot for the rest of the year.

I agree Rathbone with his skating and high skill he will be top #4 by Xmas.. Schenn shouid be #7... Bowey RD, 6'2 could surprise people #7 ?

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think Juolevi has to prove he belongs in the NHL either this season of next or he’s AHL fodder and he would be considered a depth NHL player. Not bad. But he wouldn’t live up to his draft pedigree at that point. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree Rathbone with his skating and high skill he will be top #4 by Xmas.. Schenn shouid be #7... Bowey RD, 6'2 could surprise people #7 ?

What about Juolevi? 4th D? 5th? We need defenseman who can, you know actually defend. 

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

At very least Vcr sees Juolevi as having value for a trade, hence protecting him. It's funny he just seems like a  forgotten man right now, no mention of him and there's not a lot of money left over to sign him

I agree, no one has talked about Juolevi at all. I thought might be traded. VAN might want to give him a spot in the 3rd pairing, get him regular shifts, increase his trade value. 

I could see the Canucks wanting to send Rathbone down to Abbotsford considering he is waiver exempt, creating more roster flexibility.

It does leave me wondering where Juolevi fits into the plans to go all in this year. I could see JB deciding to trade Juolevi for more immediate help on the LHD behind Hughes and OEL.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

What will give a true indication of his value within the team is his upcoming contract. Currenly there is $14 mil however there is going to be a number of players currently showing on the roster who will end up in Abby. They have in addition to Juolevi, Dickinson, Hughes and EP left to sign. I tend to think maybe he may be traded ???

They didn’t protect him in expansion to waive him out of camp Juolevi will be part of the team that breaks camp

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

They didn’t protect him in expansion to waive him out of camp Juolevi will be part of the team that breaks camp

I agree this is the most likely scenario.  Even if Rathbone blows the doors off at camp, it's too easy for management to send Rathbone down to Abbotsford until they can find out what to do with Juolevi.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Word is that Juolevi has accepted his qualifying offer, but his agent is in the process in working out a deal (source: Dhaliwal on Donnie and Dhali on July 30).  I suppose if they can't work out a contract, at the very least, Juolevi is back with a one-year deal/two-way at $907K or so. 

Going to guess that the contract they are working on is something like a 2 year one-way contract that has a $1.0M to $1.25M AAV.

Juolevi only seems like a forgotten man because he's an RFA and most Agents and GMs were busy dealing with UFAs with tighter timelines over the past few days (as per JP Barry, when asked by Donnie and Dhali today why Pettersson and Hughes' deals hasn't gotten done by now).

• Vintage 1
1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Juolevi only seems like a forgotten man because he's an RFA and most Agents and GMs were busy dealing with UFAs with tighter timelines over the past few days (as per JP Barry, when asked by Donnie and Dhali today why Pettersson and Hughes' deals hasn't gotten done by now).

It's not just that. It's also basically what's been said. OEL and Hughes clearly have 2 of the 3 spots and aren't going anywhere. Almost everyone believes in Rathbone it appears (and for good reason). So we basically know Rathbone is going to take the 3rd spot at some point.

But due to technicalities it's going to be Juolevi's spot to lose. If he shows well, we trade. If not, hes put on waivers and will most likely will be claimed.

OR - If he's lights out defensively (because I think we all know he isn't going to kill it with scoring this season) we could still bring Rathbone up and then move Hughes to the right side. We would then thrust OJ into a role with Hughes. It's risky if he falters, but again, this is if he is showing well defensively. Because I'm not sure I'm keen on OEL having to be the defensively responsible one...

This means both Poolman AND Schenn become extras, and our LD depth takes a hit...

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It's not just that. It's also basically what's been said. OEL and Hughes clearly have 2 of the 3 spots and aren't going anywhere. Almost everyone believes in Rathbone it appears (and for good reason). So we basically know Rathbone is going to take the 3rd spot at some point.

But due to technicalities it's going to be Juolevi's spot to lose. If he shows well, we trade. If not, hes put on waivers and will most likely will be claimed.

OR - If he's lights out defensively (because I think we all know he isn't going to kill it with scoring this season) we could still bring Rathbone up and then move Hughes to the right side. We would then thrust OJ into a role with Hughes. It's risky if he falters, but again, this is if he is showing well defensively. Because I'm not sure I'm keen on OEL having to be the defensively responsible one...

This means both Poolman AND Schenn become extras, and our LD depth takes a hit...

So what you’re saying is there is stiff competition for spots, and then internal compete for ice time, right?  That’s a great friggin’ job by Benning.  Guys need to be competing for ice time.  

• Hydration 2
7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

OJ is getting his shot this off season with Rathbone giving him a solid push.  

Waiver status is really important and JB will give his only possible significant draft miss now that JV is gone left to show whether JB needs to adjust his metrics or was OJ just too stringy to handle the rigours until he built up.  

this is his year.  Let’s see if he has the ability and the sense to become an NHLer or not.  

love the depth and meat on the roster.  

don’t see this as a violent team, but not a push over physically in the crease or the corners.  

Halak is awesome and what a price.  

Mikey down the road.  

Add some good depth continuously through the draft, don’t over spend on FA’s and carry on.  

I can honestly say, this is an off-season for the record book# and JB is the current front runner for an award next off season.  

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

You nor I have any idea as to what or how things are going to play out with Rathbone, Juolevi, Poolman and Schenn.

The only thing that is for certain with Juolevi is that he's going to get signed to either a QO or an extension of sorts.  He's subject to waivers, whereas Rathbone is not, so yes, I agree that the 3D position is Juolevi's to lose.  IMO, Rathbone is not a shoe-in for the 3D position, and he will most definitely have to outplay Juolevi at camp to force Green's hand.  I don't see Juolevi laying down and giving up on his opportunity. 

IF Poolman stumbles at camp, he could very well find himself in Abbotsford, giving the Canucks additional cap relief...Schenn could also find himself in Abbotsford. 

And no, we DON'T know Juolevi isn't simply a one-dimensional defensive player like you portray him to be in your post. He's got poise with the puck on offensive blue line and has a seeing eye wrist shot. Obviously we see a much different type of player in Juolevi than I do.

I had no problems discarding Virtanen...Juolevi, on the other hand, has too much talent that has be hampered by injuries after injuries and I truly believe he needs to be given the chance to show that he's worthy of the fifth overall draft pick. 

I will go on record to say that if the Canucks and fans are patient and allow for one full season of a healthy Juolevi, he's going to reward the fans and organization with the type of seasons OEL provided the Coyotes 2011-2018.

• Hydration 1