The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Awesome post.  This will be the defining season for Olli, so I think they will give him every chance they can, which means Rathbone will play in Abby during the early part of the season.  They will likely carry 7dmen, so I can see them carrying Ollie + Hunt.  Ideally, Ollie proves himself as a solid NHL dman; Rathbone tears it up in the NHL and by the middle of the season, Ollie and Jack share the 3d spot for the rest of the year.

Beyond this season, there will be a tough decision to be made. 

I agree Rathbone with his skating and high skill he will be top #4 by Xmas.. Schenn shouid be #7... Bowey RD, 6'2 could surprise people #7 ?

8 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Awesome post.  This will be the defining season for Olli, so I think they will give him every chance they can, which means Rathbone will play in Abby during the early part of the season.  They will likely carry 7dmen, so I can see them carrying Ollie + Hunt.  Ideally, Ollie proves himself as a solid NHL dman; Rathbone tears it up in the NHL and by the middle of the season, Ollie and Jack share the 3d spot for the rest of the year.

Beyond this season, there will be a tough decision to be made. 

I think Juolevi has to prove he belongs in the NHL either this season of next or he’s AHL fodder and he would be considered a depth NHL player. Not bad. But he wouldn’t live up to his draft pedigree at that point. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree Rathbone with his skating and high skill he will be top #4 by Xmas.. Schenn shouid be #7... Bowey RD, 6'2 could surprise people #7 ?

What about Juolevi? 4th D? 5th? We need defenseman who can, you know actually defend. 

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

At very least Vcr sees Juolevi as having value for a trade, hence protecting him. It's funny he just seems like a  forgotten man right now, no mention of him and there's not a lot of money left over to sign him

I agree, no one has talked about Juolevi at all. I thought might be traded. VAN might want to give him a spot in the 3rd pairing, get him regular shifts, increase his trade value. 

I could see the Canucks wanting to send Rathbone down to Abbotsford considering he is waiver exempt, creating more roster flexibility.

It does leave me wondering where Juolevi fits into the plans to go all in this year. I could see JB deciding to trade Juolevi for more immediate help on the LHD behind Hughes and OEL.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

What will give a true indication of his value within the team is his upcoming contract. Currenly there is $14 mil however there is going to be a number of players currently showing on the roster who will end up in Abby. They have in addition to Juolevi, Dickinson, Hughes and EP left to sign. I tend to think maybe he may be traded ???

They didn’t protect him in expansion to waive him out of camp Juolevi will be part of the team that breaks camp

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, flat land fish said:

They didn’t protect him in expansion to waive him out of camp Juolevi will be part of the team that breaks camp

I agree this is the most likely scenario.  Even if Rathbone blows the doors off at camp, it's too easy for management to send Rathbone down to Abbotsford until they can find out what to do with Juolevi.

4 hours ago, Fred65 said:

At very least Vcr sees Juolevi as having value for a trade, hence protecting him. It's funny he just seems like a  forgotten man right now, no mention of him and there's not a lot of money left over to sign him

Word is that Juolevi has accepted his qualifying offer, but his agent is in the process in working out a deal (source: Dhaliwal on Donnie and Dhali on July 30).  I suppose if they can't work out a contract, at the very least, Juolevi is back with a one-year deal/two-way at $907K or so. 

Going to guess that the contract they are working on is something like a 2 year one-way contract that has a $1.0M to $1.25M AAV.

Juolevi only seems like a forgotten man because he's an RFA and most Agents and GMs were busy dealing with UFAs with tighter timelines over the past few days (as per JP Barry, when asked by Donnie and Dhali today why Pettersson and Hughes' deals hasn't gotten done by now).

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Juolevi only seems like a forgotten man because he's an RFA and most Agents and GMs were busy dealing with UFAs with tighter timelines over the past few days (as per JP Barry, when asked by Donnie and Dhali today why Pettersson and Hughes' deals hasn't gotten done by now).

It's not just that. It's also basically what's been said. OEL and Hughes clearly have 2 of the 3 spots and aren't going anywhere. Almost everyone believes in Rathbone it appears (and for good reason). So we basically know Rathbone is going to take the 3rd spot at some point.

But due to technicalities it's going to be Juolevi's spot to lose. If he shows well, we trade. If not, hes put on waivers and will most likely will be claimed.

OR - If he's lights out defensively (because I think we all know he isn't going to kill it with scoring this season) we could still bring Rathbone up and then move Hughes to the right side. We would then thrust OJ into a role with Hughes. It's risky if he falters, but again, this is if he is showing well defensively. Because I'm not sure I'm keen on OEL having to be the defensively responsible one...

This means both Poolman AND Schenn become extras, and our LD depth takes a hit...

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

It's not just that. It's also basically what's been said. OEL and Hughes clearly have 2 of the 3 spots and aren't going anywhere. Almost everyone believes in Rathbone it appears (and for good reason). So we basically know Rathbone is going to take the 3rd spot at some point.

But due to technicalities it's going to be Juolevi's spot to lose. If he shows well, we trade. If not, hes put on waivers and will most likely will be claimed.

OR - If he's lights out defensively (because I think we all know he isn't going to kill it with scoring this season) we could still bring Rathbone up and then move Hughes to the right side. We would then thrust OJ into a role with Hughes. It's risky if he falters, but again, this is if he is showing well defensively. Because I'm not sure I'm keen on OEL having to be the defensively responsible one...

This means both Poolman AND Schenn become extras, and our LD depth takes a hit...

So what you’re saying is there is stiff competition for spots, and then internal compete for ice time, right?  That’s a great friggin’ job by Benning.  Guys need to be competing for ice time.  

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm very curious what the Canucks will do with Juolevi this season.

Brad Hunt seems like he could be a 7/8 D along with Schenn (if the Canucks carry 2 reserve D).

This signals to me that one of the LD spots will be fought for by Juolevi and Rathbone (Hunt, Brisebois and Stephens as well, for matter).  Administratively speaking, Juolevi may have an advantage since he requires waivers and might be someone another team would claim if waived (at least more so than a guy like Hunt, perhaps).  Additionally, I'm not expecting Juolevi to sign for more than his QO which means he should have a lesser cap hit than Rathbone.  Could be wrong but I don't see how he has much of a case for more asking for more money.

In terms of play style, I personally think Juolevi is a better fit with Myers than any of the other LHD.  Myers likes to roam around the ice and carry the puck, and IMHO he's probably at his best when he's doing that.  Juolevi has good hands and passing ability, but he's much more of a stay at home guy (at this point in this development/career) than Myers.  I'm wondering if management expects Juolevi to fill this spot?

Rathbone's exemption from waiver will probably work against him being a full player next season even if he might deserve it.

My suspicion is that this is a make it or break it year for Juolevi, even if he signs a 2+ year deal.  If Juolevi cannot make the jump this year, then he could be permanently surpassed by Rathbone on the depth chart and could be less of a risky waiver move when assigning him to Abbotsford.  There's also the possibility that even Juolevi's play improves, the Canucks could trade him (once his stock has risen enough) to make room for Rathbone.

OJ is getting his shot this off season with Rathbone giving him a solid push.  

Waiver status is really important and JB will give his only possible significant draft miss now that JV is gone left to show whether JB needs to adjust his metrics or was OJ just too stringy to handle the rigours until he built up.  

this is his year.  Let’s see if he has the ability and the sense to become an NHLer or not.  

love the depth and meat on the roster.  

don’t see this as a violent team, but not a push over physically in the crease or the corners.  

Halak is awesome and what a price.  

Mikey down the road.  

Add some good depth continuously through the draft, don’t over spend on FA’s and carry on.  

I can honestly say, this is an off-season for the record book# and JB is the current front runner for an award next off season.  

13 minutes ago, kloubek said:

You nor I have any idea as to what or how things are going to play out with Rathbone, Juolevi, Poolman and Schenn.

The only thing that is for certain with Juolevi is that he's going to get signed to either a QO or an extension of sorts.  He's subject to waivers, whereas Rathbone is not, so yes, I agree that the 3D position is Juolevi's to lose.  IMO, Rathbone is not a shoe-in for the 3D position, and he will most definitely have to outplay Juolevi at camp to force Green's hand.  I don't see Juolevi laying down and giving up on his opportunity. 

IF Poolman stumbles at camp, he could very well find himself in Abbotsford, giving the Canucks additional cap relief...Schenn could also find himself in Abbotsford. 

And no, we DON'T know Juolevi isn't simply a one-dimensional defensive player like you portray him to be in your post. He's got poise with the puck on offensive blue line and has a seeing eye wrist shot. Obviously we see a much different type of player in Juolevi than I do.

I had no problems discarding Virtanen...Juolevi, on the other hand, has too much talent that has be hampered by injuries after injuries and I truly believe he needs to be given the chance to show that he's worthy of the fifth overall draft pick. 

I will go on record to say that if the Canucks and fans are patient and allow for one full season of a healthy Juolevi, he's going to reward the fans and organization with the type of seasons OEL provided the Coyotes 2011-2018.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The following article implies a healthy dose of respect between Juolevi and Tkachuk...nothing that implies friendship, but respect, nonetheless.  As well, can't remember if it was Tkachuk that lived with the Hughes family or if it was Quinn Hughes who lived with the Tkachuk family, but there is a lot of connections between these three guys.

Tkachuk hasn't been his usual ass-clown vs. the Canucks, and I have wondered if his relationship with Hughes and Juolevi has anything to do with that? 

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/knights-teammate-juolevi-knows-what-to-expect-from-tkachuk/c-281920980

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You nor I have any idea as to what or how things are going to play out with Rathbone, Juolevi, Poolman and Schenn.

The only thing that is for certain with Juolevi is that he's going to get signed to either a QO or an extension of sorts.  He's subject to waivers, whereas Rathbone is not, so yes, I agree that the 3D position is Juolevi's to lose.  IMO, Rathbone is not a shoe-in for the 3D position, and he will most definitely have to outplay Juolevi at camp to force Green's hand.  I don't see Juolevi laying down and giving up on his opportunity. 

IF Poolman stumbles at camp, he could very well find himself in Abbotsford, giving the Canucks additional cap relief...Schenn could also find himself in Abbotsford. 

And no, we DON'T know Juolevi isn't simply a one-dimensional defensive player like you portray him to be in your post. He's got poise with the puck on offensive blue line and has a seeing eye wrist shot. Obviously we see a much different type of player in Juolevi than I do.

I had no problems discarding Virtanen...Juolevi, on the other hand, has too much talent that has be hampered by injuries after injuries and I truly believe he needs to be given the chance to show that he's worthy of the fifth overall draft pick. 

I will go on record to say that if the Canucks and fans are patient and allow for one full season of a healthy Juolevi, he's going to reward the fans and organization with the type of seasons OEL provided the Coyotes 2011-2018.

He's not going to stumble in camp - Poolman is a fairly seasoned NHLer. Also, Poolman is on a one-way contract (as he should), and therefore, sending him down to the minors requires waivers, which means he could get claimed. Also, you save no money, assuming that he makes it there because of the one-way status.

I agree about Juolevi being a useful player (and cheap) for the Canucks. He has a lot of potential and I hope he lives up to it. It's unfortunate that injuries have hampered his career so much.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's not going to stumble in camp - Poolman is a fairly seasoned NHLer. Also, Poolman is on a one-way contract (as he should), and therefore, sending him down to the minors requires waivers, which means he could get claimed. Also, you save no money, assuming that he makes it there because of the one-way status.

I agree about Juolevi being a useful player (and cheap) for the Canucks. He has a lot of potential and I hope he lives up to it. It's unfortunate that injuries have hampered his career so much.

Just gotta mention that one-way contracts only determine how they are paid if they go down to the AHL and have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. Old EA Sports NHL games perpetuated that misunderstanding some years back.

The rules relating to waiver eligibility have to do with experience and age, I believe. I don't know the exact rules, but Poolman is almost certainly waiver-eligible.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You're right... we do see different players. 

Earlier on, I didn't necessarily see the poise you mention. I saw a guy who often looked rushed to make a play. He did improve, and was making some nice deep passes and smart plays. But yeah - I don't recall him standing out for me offensively in many ways otherwise.

But hey... if 11 points over an 82 game season is what a highly skilled offensive player looks like in your books, all the power. I prefer to wait to see how he continues to develop, but with any luck, he can triple or quadruple that figure and I'll have to eat some crow.

I sincerely hope I do.

Edited by kloubek
  • Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Just gotta mention that one-way contracts only determine how they are paid if they go down to the AHL and have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. Old EA Sports NHL games perpetuated that misunderstanding some years back.

The rules relating to waiver eligibility have to do with experience and age, I believe. I don't know the exact rules, but Poolman is almost certainly waiver-eligible.

Yes, you're right. Poolman has played more than enough games to be waiver eligible. Yet the one way status means he'll be paid the same amount regardless if he's in the AHL or not. Anyway, Poolman is gonna do just fine on the Canucks. I can't wait for the season to start! Even seeing training camp would be nice!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

You're right... we do see different players. 

Earlier on, I didn't necessarily see the poise you mention. I saw a guy who often looked rushed to make a play. He did improve, and was making some nice deep passes and smart plays. But yeah - I don't recall him standing out for me offensively in many ways otherwise.

But hey... if 11 points over an 82 game season is what a highly skilled offensive player looks like in your books, all the power. I prefer to wait to see how he continues to develop, but with any luck, he can triple or quadruple that figure and I'll have to eat some crow.

I sincerely hope I do.

Here's the thing about Juolevi. OEL will be paid $8.25 mil in total, Hughes is going to be paid ...just a guess .. $7mill and Juolevi will be paid ???? I'd tend to think less that $2 mill. That tells you where these guys rank in the market for NHL D'men. I know many have spoken in glowing terms about Juolevi but what he signs for tells the tale. It's going to be very interesting times  for the Juolevi camp. Vcr has some where around $14-16 mill depending on who is sent down to Abby and they need to sign EP, QH, and Dickinson amongst others. Thats not a lot of spare Cap Space

Went back and read the first 5 pages of this thread. It’s a bit sobering now to read comments back then like “We finally have our top pairing D man!”. 

Let’s hope that THIS is the season where he takes a bigger step to realize the potential that many of us were envisioning on draft day.

• Like 1