The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

6 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Went back and read the first 5 pages of this thread. It’s a bit sobering now to read comments back then like “We finally have our top pairing D man!”. 

Let’s hope that THIS is the season where he takes a bigger step to realize the potential that many of us were envisioning on draft day.

For revisionist shocks I recommend the first pages of the Louie Eriksson thread, the draft thread when EP was picked or the moment when a 1st rounder was traded for JT Miller.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Fred65 said:

Here's the thing about Juolevi. OEL will be paid $8.25 mil in total, Hughes is going to be paid ...just a guess .. $7mill and Juolevi will be paid ???? I'd tend to think less that $2 mill. That tells you where these guys rank in the market for NHL D'men. I know many have spoken in glowing terms about Juolevi but what he signs for tells the tale. It's going to be very interesting times  for the Juolevi camp. Vcr has some where around $14-16 mill depending on who is sent down to Abby and they need to sign EP, QH, and Dickinson amongst others. Thats not a lot of spare Cap Space

He should probably get the minimum (under a $1M) on a two-way, one year deal.

At this point he has zero leverage.

May even have to go through waivers if he gets beaten out of a roster spot by Hunt.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

He should probably get the minimum (under a $1M) on a two-way, one year deal.

At this point he has zero leverage.

May even have to go through waivers if he gets beaten out of a roster spot by Hunt.

He'll either make the team or be traded IMO. Politically JB does not want his first round pick be waived or they'll find a new start for him else where. I'm sure Hunt is aware of being in a no win situation. He could show better than OJ but he'll play in Abby

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Do you think he can outplay Hughes,OEL and Rathbone?

I answered your if with one of my own.

However

I believe he will, as he has already done, play better than Rathbone.

I believe he will play better defensively than Hughes.

And if  our more negative posters are correct about OEL; then yah he could out play him too. Though i don't think that will happen, at least not next year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Fred65 said:

He'll either make the team or be traded IMO. Politically JB does not want his first round pick be waived or they'll find a new start for him else where. I'm sure Hunt is aware of being in a no win situation. He could show better than OJ but he'll play in Abby

Benning has said that players will make the team on merit, so we'll see how that pans out ?

Trading him at this juncture doesnt make much sense.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I answered your if with one of my own.

However

I believe he will, as he has already done, play better than Rathbone.

I believe he will play better defensively than Hughes.

And if  our more negative posters are correct about OEL; then yah he could out play him too. Though i don't think that will happen, at least not next year.

I admire your optimism.

Clearly, Rathbone has leapt over him on the depth chart, and shown a lot more poise to his game than OJ.

Hopefully OJ can win the #7 spot at camp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I admire your optimism.

Clearly, Rathbone has leapt over him on the depth chart, and shown a lot more poise to his game than OJ.

Hopefully OJ can win the #7 spot at camp.

Rathbone is an NHL rookie that has never played more than 33 games in an adult league albeit university, which is not comparable to the adult leagues Olli has played in. 

If Rathbone makes the team (they may have to send him to Abby for cap reasons) they will share the available D spot.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 8/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, higgyfan said:

Rathbone is an NHL rookie that has never played more than 33 games in an adult league albeit university, which is not comparable to the adult leagues Olli has played in. 

If Rathbone makes the team (they may have to send him to Abby for cap reasons) they will share the available D spot.

Thats a possibility, where they flip flop games games depending on who they are playing. But I'd rather see Rathbone in Abby

Seeing a lot of “Rathbone to Abby” chatter percolating around the forum.

Unless OJ has made some sort of significant leap in his mobility this offseason, Jack’s play in camp and preseason will make it clear he belongs on the big team. He will make his waiver ineligibility a moot point. I agree that the management wants nothing more than to see Juolevi grab a regular spot, but I don’t think he’s likely to be anything other than the 7th man on the D-core to start the year.

I’ll own this post completely if I’m wrong.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

The thing with Bone is he’s not going to stay up with the big club to only play 6-8 minutes a game.  He’s still got a really high ceiling and needs to play minutes to develop his full game.  OJ can play those 6-8 minutes, and still grow as a player.  If OJ isn’t able to play those bottom minutes than a veteran will take that spot.  

I see OJ coming to camp at 6’3” and 200+ pounds.  He’s having his first fully healthy off-season to train since his junior days.  

I sure hope Juolevi comes to camp heavier 200 lbs, and makes it tough for management..Very important year for Juolevi 23 now and needs to take next step and be a # 5 or # 6 guy 14 -17 minss...

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That's where they value him at, not a good look IMO, Rathbone is being paid more

ELCs vs second contracts. Apples vs Oranges. Juolevi also has a one-way contract and Rathbone's ELC is a two-way deal.

• Cheers 3