The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The following article implies a healthy dose of respect between Juolevi and Tkachuk...nothing that implies friendship, but respect, nonetheless.  As well, can't remember if it was Tkachuk that lived with the Hughes family or if it was Quinn Hughes who lived with the Tkachuk family, but there is a lot of connections between these three guys.

Tkachuk hasn't been his usual ass-clown vs. the Canucks, and I have wondered if his relationship with Hughes and Juolevi has anything to do with that? 

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/knights-teammate-juolevi-knows-what-to-expect-from-tkachuk/c-281920980

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

You nor I have any idea as to what or how things are going to play out with Rathbone, Juolevi, Poolman and Schenn.

The only thing that is for certain with Juolevi is that he's going to get signed to either a QO or an extension of sorts.  He's subject to waivers, whereas Rathbone is not, so yes, I agree that the 3D position is Juolevi's to lose.  IMO, Rathbone is not a shoe-in for the 3D position, and he will most definitely have to outplay Juolevi at camp to force Green's hand.  I don't see Juolevi laying down and giving up on his opportunity. 

IF Poolman stumbles at camp, he could very well find himself in Abbotsford, giving the Canucks additional cap relief...Schenn could also find himself in Abbotsford. 

And no, we DON'T know Juolevi isn't simply a one-dimensional defensive player like you portray him to be in your post. He's got poise with the puck on offensive blue line and has a seeing eye wrist shot. Obviously we see a much different type of player in Juolevi than I do.

I had no problems discarding Virtanen...Juolevi, on the other hand, has too much talent that has be hampered by injuries after injuries and I truly believe he needs to be given the chance to show that he's worthy of the fifth overall draft pick. 

I will go on record to say that if the Canucks and fans are patient and allow for one full season of a healthy Juolevi, he's going to reward the fans and organization with the type of seasons OEL provided the Coyotes 2011-2018.

He's not going to stumble in camp - Poolman is a fairly seasoned NHLer. Also, Poolman is on a one-way contract (as he should), and therefore, sending him down to the minors requires waivers, which means he could get claimed. Also, you save no money, assuming that he makes it there because of the one-way status.

I agree about Juolevi being a useful player (and cheap) for the Canucks. He has a lot of potential and I hope he lives up to it. It's unfortunate that injuries have hampered his career so much.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

He's not going to stumble in camp - Poolman is a fairly seasoned NHLer. Also, Poolman is on a one-way contract (as he should), and therefore, sending him down to the minors requires waivers, which means he could get claimed. Also, you save no money, assuming that he makes it there because of the one-way status.

I agree about Juolevi being a useful player (and cheap) for the Canucks. He has a lot of potential and I hope he lives up to it. It's unfortunate that injuries have hampered his career so much.

Just gotta mention that one-way contracts only determine how they are paid if they go down to the AHL and have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. Old EA Sports NHL games perpetuated that misunderstanding some years back.

The rules relating to waiver eligibility have to do with experience and age, I believe. I don't know the exact rules, but Poolman is almost certainly waiver-eligible.

• Hydration 1
3 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

And no, we DON'T know Juolevi isn't simply a one-dimensional defensive player like you portray him to be in your post. He's got poise with the puck on offensive blue line and has a seeing eye wrist shot. Obviously we see a much different type of player in Juolevi than I do.

You're right... we do see different players. 

Earlier on, I didn't necessarily see the poise you mention. I saw a guy who often looked rushed to make a play. He did improve, and was making some nice deep passes and smart plays. But yeah - I don't recall him standing out for me offensively in many ways otherwise.

But hey... if 11 points over an 82 game season is what a highly skilled offensive player looks like in your books, all the power. I prefer to wait to see how he continues to develop, but with any luck, he can triple or quadruple that figure and I'll have to eat some crow.

I sincerely hope I do.

Edited by kloubek
  • Hydration 1
49 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Just gotta mention that one-way contracts only determine how they are paid if they go down to the AHL and have nothing to do with waiver eligibility. Old EA Sports NHL games perpetuated that misunderstanding some years back.

The rules relating to waiver eligibility have to do with experience and age, I believe. I don't know the exact rules, but Poolman is almost certainly waiver-eligible.

Yes, you're right. Poolman has played more than enough games to be waiver eligible. Yet the one way status means he'll be paid the same amount regardless if he's in the AHL or not. Anyway, Poolman is gonna do just fine on the Canucks. I can't wait for the season to start! Even seeing training camp would be nice!

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
12 hours ago, kloubek said:

You're right... we do see different players. 

Earlier on, I didn't necessarily see the poise you mention. I saw a guy who often looked rushed to make a play. He did improve, and was making some nice deep passes and smart plays. But yeah - I don't recall him standing out for me offensively in many ways otherwise.

But hey... if 11 points over an 82 game season is what a highly skilled offensive player looks like in your books, all the power. I prefer to wait to see how he continues to develop, but with any luck, he can triple or quadruple that figure and I'll have to eat some crow.

I sincerely hope I do.

Here's the thing about Juolevi. OEL will be paid $8.25 mil in total, Hughes is going to be paid ...just a guess .. $7mill and Juolevi will be paid ???? I'd tend to think less that $2 mill. That tells you where these guys rank in the market for NHL D'men. I know many have spoken in glowing terms about Juolevi but what he signs for tells the tale. It's going to be very interesting times  for the Juolevi camp. Vcr has some where around $14-16 mill depending on who is sent down to Abby and they need to sign EP, QH, and Dickinson amongst others. Thats not a lot of spare Cap Space

Went back and read the first 5 pages of this thread. It’s a bit sobering now to read comments back then like “We finally have our top pairing D man!”. 

Let’s hope that THIS is the season where he takes a bigger step to realize the potential that many of us were envisioning on draft day.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Went back and read the first 5 pages of this thread. It’s a bit sobering now to read comments back then like “We finally have our top pairing D man!”. 

Let’s hope that THIS is the season where he takes a bigger step to realize the potential that many of us were envisioning on draft day.

For revisionist shocks I recommend the first pages of the Louie Eriksson thread, the draft thread when EP was picked or the moment when a 1st rounder was traded for JT Miller.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1
On 7/31/2021 at 9:50 AM, Fred65 said:

Here's the thing about Juolevi. OEL will be paid $8.25 mil in total, Hughes is going to be paid ...just a guess .. $7mill and Juolevi will be paid ???? I'd tend to think less that $2 mill. That tells you where these guys rank in the market for NHL D'men. I know many have spoken in glowing terms about Juolevi but what he signs for tells the tale. It's going to be very interesting times  for the Juolevi camp. Vcr has some where around $14-16 mill depending on who is sent down to Abby and they need to sign EP, QH, and Dickinson amongst others. Thats not a lot of spare Cap Space

He should probably get the minimum (under a $1M) on a two-way, one year deal.

At this point he has zero leverage.

May even have to go through waivers if he gets beaten out of a roster spot by Hunt.

• Hydration 1
16 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

May even have to go through waivers if he gets beaten out of a roster spot by Hunt.

May even end up as the number 1 d man, if he out plays the other guys.

• Haha 2
23 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

He should probably get the minimum (under a $1M) on a two-way, one year deal.

At this point he has zero leverage.

He'll either make the team or be traded IMO. Politically JB does not want his first round pick be waived or they'll find a new start for him else where. I'm sure Hunt is aware of being in a no win situation. He could show better than OJ but he'll play in Abby

4 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Do you think he can outplay Hughes,OEL and Rathbone?

I answered your if with one of my own.

However

I believe he will, as he has already done, play better than Rathbone.

I believe he will play better defensively than Hughes.

And if  our more negative posters are correct about OEL; then yah he could out play him too. Though i don't think that will happen, at least not next year.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Just now, Fred65 said:

He'll either make the team or be traded IMO. Politically JB does not want his first round pick be waived or they'll find a new start for him else where. I'm sure Hunt is aware of being in a no win situation. He could show better than OJ but he'll play in Abby

Benning has said that players will make the team on merit, so we'll see how that pans out ?

Trading him at this juncture doesnt make much sense.

• Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, gurn said:

I answered your if with one of my own.

However

I believe he will, as he has already done, play better than Rathbone.

I believe he will play better defensively than Hughes.

And if  our more negative posters are correct about OEL; then yah he could out play him too. Though i don't think that will happen, at least not next year.

I admire your optimism.

Clearly, Rathbone has leapt over him on the depth chart, and shown a lot more poise to his game than OJ.

Hopefully OJ can win the #7 spot at camp.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I admire your optimism.

Clearly, Rathbone has leapt over him on the depth chart, and shown a lot more poise to his game than OJ.

Hopefully OJ can win the #7 spot at camp.

Rathbone is an NHL rookie that has never played more than 33 games in an adult league albeit university, which is not comparable to the adult leagues Olli has played in. 

If Rathbone makes the team (they may have to send him to Abby for cap reasons) they will share the available D spot.

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
On 8/1/2021 at 3:34 PM, higgyfan said:

Rathbone is an NHL rookie that has never played more than 33 games in an adult league albeit university, which is not comparable to the adult leagues Olli has played in. 

If Rathbone makes the team (they may have to send him to Abby for cap reasons) they will share the available D spot.

Thats a possibility, where they flip flop games games depending on who they are playing. But I'd rather see Rathbone in Abby

Seeing a lot of “Rathbone to Abby” chatter percolating around the forum.

Unless OJ has made some sort of significant leap in his mobility this offseason, Jack’s play in camp and preseason will make it clear he belongs on the big team. He will make his waiver ineligibility a moot point. I agree that the management wants nothing more than to see Juolevi grab a regular spot, but I don’t think he’s likely to be anything other than the 7th man on the D-core to start the year.

I’ll own this post completely if I’m wrong.