The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Im not sure about the PK, he'd have to really improve his footspeed a lot, but it would not suprise me if he's on PP2 with OEL somewhere next season. He's got a pretty good shot from the point. Its not a bomb like Rathbone but its a wrister that just gets through

He already played PK last year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He was one of the better PKers for Utica when he was there last. It was considered a big strength for him there. 

i Meant in the NHL, I didn;t recall him playing  PK with the Canucks. Hopefully Olli Juolev can though, it would give him a leg up on the competitiion

4 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

i Meant in the NHL, I didn;t recall him playing  PK with the Canucks. Hopefully Olli Juolev can though, it would give him a leg up on the competitiion

Played 19:11 of PK last season. Also averaged a very tilted 59.4% dzone starts as basically a rookie. 

Rathbone by comparison had 47% dzone starts. 

I'll let you figure out what that likely means Green thinks of their current, respective defensive ability ;)

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Played 19:11 of PK last season. Also averaged a very tilted 59.4% dzone starts as basically a rookie. 

Rathbone by comparison had 47% dzone starts. 

I'll let you figure out what that likely means Green thinks of their current, respective defensive ability ;)

Juolevi averaged 0:50 of PK time per game, which among defensemen with more than 1 game places him 6th only ahead of Hughes and Chatfield. That said, Benn (5th), Schmidt (4th), and Edler (1st) are all gone now, so Juolevi may end up being used a bit more on the PK in this coming year, though there's a chance that OEL gets some PK time ahead of Juolevi too. I'd expect Myers and Hamonic to probably be our top PK pairing and then maybe OEL and Juolevi to be the PK 2 pairing for this upcoming year. OEL might take a spot on the 1st PK if he can prove defensively sound enough.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Juolevi averaged 0:50 of PK time per game, which among defensemen with more than 1 game places him 6th only ahead of Hughes and Chatfield. That said, Benn (5th), Schmidt (4th), and Edler (1st) are all gone now, so Juolevi may end up being used a bit more on the PK in this coming year, though there's a chance that OEL gets some PK time ahead of Juolevi too. I'd expect Myers and Hamonic to probably be our top PK pairing and then maybe OEL and Juolevi to be the PK 2 pairing for this upcoming year. OEL might take a spot on the 1st PK if he can prove defensively sound enough.

Nearly a minute of PK/game, as a rookie, is actually pretty good FWIW. That job usually goes to grizzled, defensive vets/elite D. 

That he was trusted there at all speaks volumes IMO.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nearly a minute of PK/game, as a rookie, is actually pretty good FWIW. That job usually goes to grizzled, defensive vets/elite D. 

That he was trusted there at all speaks volumes IMO.

It's definitely noteworthy, but also noteworthy that Green trusted most other defenders more on the PK than Juolevi.

That said, as you state, giving such a young player PK time at all is indicative of what Green thinks he can learn and do going forward. I expect Juolevi to gradually play a more prominent PK role as time goes on.

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's definitely noteworthy, but also noteworthy that Green trusted most other defenders more on the PK than Juolevi.

That said, as you state, giving such a young player PK time at all is indicative of what Green thinks he can learn and do going forward. I expect Juolevi to gradually play a more prominent PK role as time goes on.

A bunch of veteran, defensively solid D, earning more PK time than him isn't really 'noteworthy' though. More like 'obvious' or 'expected'.

Agreed on the second paragraph though.

8 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Juolevi is NOT. 23 years old. He’s 26 and on a make or break contract.

Seems like just yesterday he was 23; wait a minute it was yesterday.!

I wonder if this has something to do with @ Bo knows, and his time travel thread?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Dob: May 5, 1998 + 23 years = May 5, 2021. Hey, I didn’t even use new math (way after my years in school). So, alert to Me_: Olli is 23 years old.

He was born in Finland though!  Time zones!  “Hello, McFly”. :frantic:

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Seems like just yesterday he was 23; wait a minute it was yesterday.!

I wonder if this has something to do with @ Bo knows, and his time travel thread?

That frigging awkward dancing cow personal photo of his causes us a time warpage disturbance of our defensive prospects....among other things..JK:)

Stillness required. Twenty three year old OJ replaces the beloved Eagle as our stand firm and solid 3,4,5 defence player. 

After waiting so long our patience will be rewarded.

No slingshots or atomic clock grasping here...just a strong feeling he's stout, healthy, stoic and solid for us going forward.   Time to shine OJ!!!  GCG  

Edited by Cat Man
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 4:32 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Olli on 650:

- Some parts of his game he wanted to be better last season

- Feels he showed he can play in the NHL and is now ready to take the next step

- Jim and Travis want Olli to be stronger and faster

- Role is more 2 way defender, different from when he was younger and looked at more of an offensive d-man

- Wants to be part of the team as it becomes a winning team moving forward

- Does a lot of on-ice and off-ice drills to work on speed

- Missed a lot of time on the ice when he was injured

- Can't wait to play games in front of fans

- Not really active on social media, teases Elias that he's a "fashion guy" on IG

- Spent the whole year alone in North America last year

- Likes how close the city is to the mountains

- Wants to stay in Vancouver and stay with the team

- Wanted to get the contract done and focus on his play this year

- Believes he can bring something else to the team, proved he can play good defence and play against bigger/stronger guys

Well he's saying all the right things and I like the attitude. Would be a really good story for us all if he developed into the player somewhat reflecting his draft position.  Lots of time left for good coaching and growing confidence.  Fingers crossed. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming Juolevi is in the top-6 for the start of the season, mostly because of his better defensive capability, and that Rathbone can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers, which also allows the Canucks to (potentially) avoid losing another d-man to waivers. If it's a choice of keeping Schenn (RD depth, probably in the press box), risking losing Juolevi on waivers (so Rathbone can play at the NHL level), or sending Rathbone to Abbotsford, I think it's a pretty easy choice.

Should Rathbone play like a young Bobby Orr in camp then this position will be modified.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He hasn't even locked up a spot on the roster yet.  He MAY get to that point in the future, but that is still at least a few years away.

Well if he starts he's at minimum #5 ahead of Hughes. I think he could surprise people though. This is a make or break year for him. I assume he's pulled out all the stops in the offseason. He's had 4 months to train and he knows exactly what is expected and what is on the line.

Go Juo! :canucks:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1