The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well if he starts he's at minimum #5 ahead of Hughes. I think he could surprise people though. This is a make or break year for him. I assume he's pulled out all the stops in the offseason. He's had 4 months to train and he knows exactly what is expected and what is on the line.

Go Juo! :canucks:

This is OJ’s first fully healthy offseason since his junior days.  I expect him to be really good.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Presently, Juolevi reminds me a bit of Brendan Gaunce. His defense is very strong (for a 5/6 guy), but he gives very little outside of that. I'm hoping his game evolves to become either even more strong defensively (a la Tanev/Hamonic/Slavin) or he adds some more offense to his game. Some physicality would be nice too.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Gollumpus said:

I'm assuming Juolevi is in the top-6 for the start of the season, mostly because of his better defensive capability, and that Rathbone can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers, which also allows the Canucks to (potentially) avoid losing another d-man to waivers. If it's a choice of keeping Schenn (RD depth, probably in the press box), risking losing Juolevi on waivers (so Rathbone can play at the NHL level), or sending Rathbone to Abbotsford, I think it's a pretty easy choice.

Should Rathbone play like a young Bobby Orr in camp then this position will be modified.

regards,  

On 9/12/2021 at 11:46 AM, -AJ- said:

Presently, Juolevi reminds me a bit of Brendan Gaunce. His defense is very strong (for a 5/6 guy), but he gives very little outside of that. I'm hoping his game evolves to become either even more strong defensively (a la Tanev/Hamonic/Slavin) or he adds some more offense to his game. Some physicality would be nice too.

Juolevi is more talented than Gaunce. You can see the vision, the passing ability IQ. I don't remember anything about Gaunce. Didn't bring very much offensive skill, and was not very fast.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Juolevi is more talented than Gaunce. You can see the vision, the passing ability IQ. I don't remember anything about Gaunce. Didn't bring very much offensive skill, and was not very fast.

Gaunce was particularly smart defensively, which I also see in Juolevi. Neither have showed much offensive skill.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 9:29 PM, Cromeslab said:
On 9/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Gollumpus said:

I'm assuming Juolevi is in the top-6 for the start of the season, mostly because of his better defensive capability, and that Rathbone can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers, which also allows the Canucks to (potentially) avoid losing another d-man to waivers. If it's a choice of keeping Schenn (RD depth, probably in the press box), risking losing Juolevi on waivers (so Rathbone can play at the NHL level), or sending Rathbone to Abbotsford, I think it's a pretty easy choice.

Should Rathbone play like a young Bobby Orr in camp then this position will be modified.

regards,  

Expand  

I seriously doubt if OJ has sufficient appeal to attrack other team if he's put on waivers, ask your self which GM is going say to himself that's just the guy I need and none of my own prospect cam match him ?

It was hardest on Olli Juolevi, who was left flat on his back by the end of the skate, gasping for breath. 

Edited by Fred65

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I seriously doubt if OJ has sufficient appeal to attrack other team if he's put on waivers, ask your self which GM is going say to himself that's just the guy I need and none of my own prospect cam match him ?

A bad team would (likely) pick up OJ off waivers.   But his antics after the bag skate will for sure get around the league.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What  difference

Where other new Canucks struggled to keep pace in the bag skate, Di Giuseppe led the way, barely looking out of breath by the end of it. While the veteran forward may not have been at a Canucks camp before, his experience with other teams meant he was ready for whatever Green could dish out.

“Rangers, a lot of skating, Carolina before that. Both teams pride themselves on speed getting up and down the ice,” said Di Giuseppe. “I have a history of playing on teams where that was a main part of their identity, so it's become part of mine.”

Pride is a good thing and is obvious with some and lacking in others, and remember the 2 points you get at the begining of the season is the same 2 pts at the end of the season

Edited by Fred65

One of the poster on the training day thread days that besides looking silly at the end of the bag skate he has had a positive camp so far. I think the bag skate thing is being over blown. The question is, is he having a better showing then Rathbone who seems to be standing out in a positive way. 

I still think he will be a very valuable player for us. With Hughes and OEL being the other 2 lefties I think he fills a pk role on the team where I'm not sure Rathbone does.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, knucklehead91 said:

COVID, knee surgeries, back surgeries… all before the age of 25. Im not going to read too much into training camp, especially this early into it. This kid has probably spent more time rehabbing and recovering from injuries/surgeries/illness than he has actually preparing for an NHL camp. I think fans need to just back off a bit on their worries this early into camp when the kid has gone through a lot the past few years. He just needs a good stretch of good health

Good news is he will clear waivers and he can work on his game in the minors. Rathbone is way ahead of OJ at this point. Hate to be a negative Nelly, but it isn't looking good for OJ imho. 

• Thanks 2