Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D


b3.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, gurn said:

Seems like just yesterday he was 23; wait a minute it was yesterday.!

I wonder if this has something to do with @ Bo knows, and his time travel thread?

 

That frigging awkward dancing cow personal photo of his causes us a time warpage disturbance of our defensive prospects....among other things..JK:)

Stillness required. Twenty three year old OJ replaces the beloved Eagle as our stand firm and solid 3,4,5 defence player. 

After waiting so long our patience will be rewarded.

No slingshots or atomic clock grasping here...just a strong feeling he's stout, healthy, stoic and solid for us going forward.   Time to shine OJ!!!  GCG  

Edited by Cat Man
  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 4:32 PM, MrCanuck94 said:

Olli on 650:

 

- Some parts of his game he wanted to be better last season

- Feels he showed he can play in the NHL and is now ready to take the next step

- Jim and Travis want Olli to be stronger and faster

- Role is more 2 way defender, different from when he was younger and looked at more of an offensive d-man

- Wants to be part of the team as it becomes a winning team moving forward

- Does a lot of on-ice and off-ice drills to work on speed

- Missed a lot of time on the ice when he was injured

- Can't wait to play games in front of fans

- Not really active on social media, teases Elias that he's a "fashion guy" on IG

- Spent the whole year alone in North America last year

- Likes how close the city is to the mountains

- Wants to stay in Vancouver and stay with the team

- Wanted to get the contract done and focus on his play this year

- Believes he can bring something else to the team, proved he can play good defence and play against bigger/stronger guys

Well he's saying all the right things and I like the attitude. Would be a really good story for us all if he developed into the player somewhat reflecting his draft position.  Lots of time left for good coaching and growing confidence.  Fingers crossed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm assuming Juolevi is in the top-6 for the start of the season, mostly because of his better defensive capability, and that Rathbone can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers, which also allows the Canucks to (potentially) avoid losing another d-man to waivers. If it's a choice of keeping Schenn (RD depth, probably in the press box), risking losing Juolevi on waivers (so Rathbone can play at the NHL level), or sending Rathbone to Abbotsford, I think it's a pretty easy choice.

 

Should Rathbone play like a young Bobby Orr in camp then this position will be modified.

 

                                                   regards,  G.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He hasn't even locked up a spot on the roster yet.  He MAY get to that point in the future, but that is still at least a few years away.

Well if he starts he's at minimum #5 ahead of Hughes. I think he could surprise people though. This is a make or break year for him. I assume he's pulled out all the stops in the offseason. He's had 4 months to train and he knows exactly what is expected and what is on the line.

 

Go Juo! :canucks:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Well if he starts he's at minimum #5 ahead of Hughes. I think he could surprise people though. This is a make or break year for him. I assume he's pulled out all the stops in the offseason. He's had 4 months to train and he knows exactly what is expected and what is on the line.

 

Go Juo! :canucks:

This is OJ’s first fully healthy offseason since his junior days.  I expect him to be really good.  

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Presently, Juolevi reminds me a bit of Brendan Gaunce. His defense is very strong (for a 5/6 guy), but he gives very little outside of that. I'm hoping his game evolves to become either even more strong defensively (a la Tanev/Hamonic/Slavin) or he adds some more offense to his game. Some physicality would be nice too.

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Gollumpus said:

I'm assuming Juolevi is in the top-6 for the start of the season, mostly because of his better defensive capability, and that Rathbone can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers, which also allows the Canucks to (potentially) avoid losing another d-man to waivers. If it's a choice of keeping Schenn (RD depth, probably in the press box), risking losing Juolevi on waivers (so Rathbone can play at the NHL level), or sending Rathbone to Abbotsford, I think it's a pretty easy choice.

 

Should Rathbone play like a young Bobby Orr in camp then this position will be modified.

 

                                                   regards,  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/12/2021 at 11:46 AM, -AJ- said:

Presently, Juolevi reminds me a bit of Brendan Gaunce. His defense is very strong (for a 5/6 guy), but he gives very little outside of that. I'm hoping his game evolves to become either even more strong defensively (a la Tanev/Hamonic/Slavin) or he adds some more offense to his game. Some physicality would be nice too.

Juolevi is more talented than Gaunce. You can see the vision, the passing ability IQ. I don't remember anything about Gaunce. Didn't bring very much offensive skill, and was not very fast.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

Juolevi is more talented than Gaunce. You can see the vision, the passing ability IQ. I don't remember anything about Gaunce. Didn't bring very much offensive skill, and was not very fast.

Gaunce was particularly smart defensively, which I also see in Juolevi. Neither have showed much offensive skill.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/22/2021 at 9:29 PM, Cromeslab said:
On 9/11/2021 at 3:33 PM, Gollumpus said:

I'm assuming Juolevi is in the top-6 for the start of the season, mostly because of his better defensive capability, and that Rathbone can be sent to the minors and avoid waivers, which also allows the Canucks to (potentially) avoid losing another d-man to waivers. If it's a choice of keeping Schenn (RD depth, probably in the press box), risking losing Juolevi on waivers (so Rathbone can play at the NHL level), or sending Rathbone to Abbotsford, I think it's a pretty easy choice.

 

Should Rathbone play like a young Bobby Orr in camp then this position will be modified.

 

                                                   regards,  

Expand  

I seriously doubt if OJ has sufficient appeal to attrack other team if he's put on waivers, ask your self which GM is going say to himself that's just the guy I need and none of my own prospect cam match him ?

 

Quote

 It was hardest on Olli Juolevi, who was left flat on his back by the end of the skate, gasping for breath. 

 

Edited by Fred65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I seriously doubt if OJ has sufficient appeal to attrack other team if he's put on waivers, ask your self which GM is going say to himself that's just the guy I need and none of my own prospect cam match him ?

A bad team would (likely) pick up OJ off waivers.   But his antics after the bag skate will for sure get around the league.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What  difference

 

Quote

Where other new Canucks struggled to keep pace in the bag skate, Di Giuseppe led the way, barely looking out of breath by the end of it. While the veteran forward may not have been at a Canucks camp before, his experience with other teams meant he was ready for whatever Green could dish out.

“Rangers, a lot of skating, Carolina before that. Both teams pride themselves on speed getting up and down the ice,” said Di Giuseppe. “I have a history of playing on teams where that was a main part of their identity, so it's become part of mine.”

Pride is a good thing and is obvious with some and lacking in others, and remember the 2 points you get at the begining of the season is the same 2 pts at the end of the season

Edited by Fred65
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JM_ said:

you're being too hard on him Alf. 

Not really. He's 23, has been at multiple camps, and had a long offseason to prepare. Him being so far beyond unprepared for this is not a good look at all.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Not really. He's 23, has been at multiple camps, and had a long offseason to prepare. Him being so far beyond unprepared for this is not a good look at all.

meh, its a bag skate. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...