The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

I’m listening to the ore-game show on 650.  (Yes, very cool hockey is back!). But they are saying the Canucks have three Left shot D tonight:  Bone, Hunt, and OJ.  Needless to say lots of talk about Green’s comments about OJ’s bag skate collapse.  

what did green say?

On who played well:

0:35 - 0:55

I thought Klimovich played well again, I thought Silovs gave us some good minutes in net, Rathbone had a good game. I'm probably going to miss some guys. Di Giuseppe played well, he was reliable.

On Rathbone:

2:20 - 2:50

I thought Rathbone was good tonight, had a good night, had a good game. I'm not sure about the resiliency part, I think sometimes you're going to take a penalty, that's part of the game. I like how active he was, how strong, he tried to defend, there are a lot of things that he did, you can see that our back end was trying to incorporate, it's been our defensive game. Like I said earlier, he had a good game.

On Juolevi:

3:00 - I thought he was fine.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

LOL i see that... not. post the other video thats proof. ive been looking to find it in PGT where a poster saw TSN tweet that he didnt touch it. i will continue to search

1 hour ago, Dannydog said:

with that video you posted..... i can see your delusion. They played more than 3 different looks at it during the game and nothing showed any deflection from his stick. good call. Wouldn't have even been a goal if the keepers stick was on the ice. 

Let me know when you conclude your search.  Sportsnet sure thinks Juolevi touched it.

Jason Dickinson wins the faceoff but it's deflected off of Olli Juolevi and in. Morgan Geekie would be credited for the goal.

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

My point is even if Juolevi plays at his defensive best Rathbone is still better than Juolevi….Defensively And Offensively.   And if you’re comparing penalties it doesn’t say much about Juolevi if he doesn’t have a decent amount of penalties, if he’s supposed to be a physical d he should have his share of penalties by default.  But he doesn’t compete hard enough to get penalties. That’s the issue.  

Rathbone is not better defensively, he was pretty bad in his own zone tonight. OJ wasnt. Sure Rathbone is a stud in the ozone, but in the NHL you gotta be good in your own zone. We cant have Hughes AND Rathbone getting hemmed in on 2 separate pairings and turning the puck over.

Also..  clearly you dont know much about OJ… HES NOT A PHYSICAL DMAN. HES POSITIONAL. He plays positional D, low risk, smart first pass kind of D and he is good for making stretch passes too. Hes like a Dan Hamhuis kind of D without the hipcheck. Positional

also getting penalties isnt a sign of “competing”  thats loss of positioning, bad plays and stupid penalties. Lmao you want a guy to compete by taking penalties LOOOOOOL. LOLOLOL YOU WANT A PLAYER TO COMPETE TO TAKE PENALTIES??!!! did I seriously just read that??? You must be a maple laffs troll.

Please just listen to what you just said

”he doesnt compete hard enough to get penalties. Thats the issue”

LOL

So Rathbone “competed” hard to take that bad trip early in the game, because he

1) pivoted to the inside rather than pivoting into the player towards the outside, creating a gap between him and the player to take a step around him

2) he got turned inside out because he pivoted the wrong way

3) he had no other choice but to reach out and get his stick in the guys skates and take him down

THANKS FOR PUTTING US ON THE PK JACK, WE REALLY ARE GLAD YOU COMPETED HARD ENOUGH TO PUT US ON THE PK, WE REALLY NEEDED TO WORK ON SPECIAL TEAMS TONIGHT. 

Rathbone is a stud in the ozone, hands down he  is a slick motherf*cker… but in the dzone he was losing battles, out positioned, coughing up the puck. 

OJ was solid in our zone, negated the other teams PP and helped exit the zone safely. He helped contain the pressure to the outside and he would win the puck battle and make the simple and safe play to relieve pressure and get the puck out.

image.gif

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

On who played well:

0:35 - 0:55

I thought Klimovich played well again, I thought Silovs gave us some good minutes in net, Rathbone had a good game. I'm probably going to miss some guys. Di Giuseppe played well, he was reliable.

On Rathbone:

2:20 - 2:50

I thought Rathbone was good tonight, had a good night, had a good game. I'm not sure about the resiliency part, I think sometimes you're going to take a penalty, that's part of the game. I like how active he was, how strong, he tried to defend, there are a lot of things that he did, you can see that our back end was trying to incorporate, it's been our defensive game. Like I said earlier, he had a good game.

On Juolevi:

3:00 - I thought he was fine.

You can tell he really likes Rathbone. 

5 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

You can tell he really likes Rathbone. 

And why wouldn’t he? Dynamic offensively, perhaps the best skater on the team outside of QH, eager to get better defensively (he mentioned it in Training Camp), one of the best performers in the conditioning skate, he’s smart (Harvard) and has an engaging personality. Biggest downside I can see with him is that he’s a Boston sports fan. :sick:

I actually thought OJ looked more than “fine” during the game, but it’s quite obvious that Travis was dead serious that OJ “didn’t do himself any favours” coming to camp out of shape. Green puts conditioning near the top of the list in terms of priorities for the players. But who knows, maybe OJ can advance his fitness enough over the next few weeks to seize a roster spot. I found the Hunt/Rathbone/Juolevi “battle” fun to watch last night.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And this season's scapegoat is.....

Scapegoats tend to bring it upon themselves to a certain degree. Here in Vancouver, as it was with Virtanen, and now with OJ it is usually due to a perceived lack of professionalism and commitment to be the absolute best they can be. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

Call me crazy but is that not a black puck, touching the white tape of OJ's stick, before it went in?

Another replay during the game, with a better angle also suggested that OJ touched it. At least, the Seattle commentators made sure to point out that even though Juolevi touched it, Geekie would get the point.

Definitely can't tell from this angle. Not that I really care one way or another.

Edited by Gawdzukes

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Definitely can't tell from this angle. Not that I really care one way or another.

Dickinson won the draw perfectly.  He wins it right onto OJ's stick, just as he should.  OJ, for whatever reason, wasn't ready, and instead of taking the puck (with control) behind his net to start the breakout, he deflects it between the goalie's legs.  It's a terrible play.  He's got to be ready for that draw to come to him.  That's what the club practices!

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

You can see the full video I posted last page. Sportsnet captioned the video: Jason Dickinson wins the faceoff but it's deflected off of Olli Juolevi and in. Morgan Geekie would be credited for the goal.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Dickinson won the draw perfectly.  He wins it right onto OJ's stick, just as he should.  OJ, for whatever reason, wasn't ready, and instead of taking the puck (with control) behind his net to start the breakout, he deflects it between the goalie's legs.  It's a terrible play.  He's got to be ready for that draw to come to him.  That's what the club practices!

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

You can see the full video I posted last page. Sportsnet captioned the video: Jason Dickinson wins the faceoff but it's deflected off of Olli Juolevi and in. Morgan Geekie would be credited for the goal.

Still don't really see it that well but I believe you. Juolevi flubbed it a bit but that's a major mistake from the goalie too. Even worse I would say. That puck couldn't have changed more than 10 degrees and was travelling at a snails pace. You have to save those pucks.

Not that I'm overly defending Ollie. He's fighting an uphill battle to make the team at this point. Who knows at this rate he might even make it through waivers. I sure was hoping things would click for him and we'd get a solid player at least out of that pick.

While we're picking on him I never really liked the way he plays defence. It's kind of like Bieksa style, he likes to get in the space so players don't challenge him but he doesn't like actual confrontations with the attackers and often leaves the front of the net, and his mark to go fishing for the puck along the boards, almost sloughing his responsibility to someone else in times danger. 

9 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I don't see a good defense for Juolevi whether he touched it or not. He distracted the goalie into thinking he WAS going to play it.

hey at least we're not paying him 6 million to do it. 

A kid made a mistake, happens. I guarantee he'll be aware of it next time. 

• Cheers 1