The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Now OJ is gone it’s time to unload.  The guy is a bustaroo bonsai piece of craperolla.  He will be playing in Europe soon.  

I've been slagged for a number years about my views on OJ. So many read hype rather than have the courage to assess a player themselves. Even when the Canucks made the worse possible financial value of his skills posters  still made excuses to some how turn that around into meaning it's a positive. I have nothing against OJ, he's done more than most, but the fct is he came up short. Maybe still make a good living playing in another league 

10 hours ago, Fred65 said:

In your dreams. Folks, zealots refuse to understand the reason OJ didn't make it was his lack of agility plus apprently being delussional about how a NHL player trains and fitness levels.

So he had an attitude issue? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 1:32 AM, N4ZZY said:

Watch Olli rip it with Florida. 

This trade was a must, I guess? Don't think Green was high on Juolevi. 

He's still young at 22 years old, so Florida can still get a good defenseman out of Juolevi. 

I don't like this trade, but I don't hate it either. Just sucks that Juolevi wasn't given a fair shake. By all accounts, he didn't have a terrible pre-season, so what's the deal? 

Florida's blue line is much deeper.  If OJ had problems cracking the Canucks lineup, he'll have his work cut out for him in Florida.  But I wish him all the best luck (much of his lack of development were due to reasons beyond his control), so as long as it is not against our team.

• Cheers 1

Where is OJ. He's not included on the Florida line up and neither is he on the Charlotte line up ??? and I agree if OJ wasn't good enough to to crack the Vcr blue line waht chnace does he have with the #1 team in the league ... good luck Hey maybe he's back in EU ?  does any one know

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Where is OJ. He's not included on the Florida line up and neither is he on the Charlotte line up ??? and I agree if OJ wasn't good enough to to crack the Vcr blue line waht chnace does he have with the #1 team in the league ... good luck Hey maybe he's back in EU ?  does any one know

He's on IR.

9 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Got it, thanks. Kind of funny most trades are completed on the basis of a full medical review by both teams

He's been on the ice practicing including today so probably not something too serious.  

• Cheers 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Another wasted 1st Round pick by Uncle Jim.    Between this pick, the Lazy Jake "The Ripper" pick and the lack of a first rounder that we gave up for Miller - that makes three lost 1st rounders under Jim's rule.    Pretty poor drafting IMO !

you missed 2021

Boeser, Petey (for as long as he stays) Hughes (for as long as he stays) and Podkolzin.. those are the firsts

Demko, Hoglander , Woo (if he makes it ) Klimovich(if he makes it) the seconds

Lockwood, DePietro + Jurmo (if any of them make it)

Rathbone

That is his body of work

It may still be the best drafting in Canuck history

But I don't see a cup or a dynasty

do you?

1 minute ago, lmm said:

you missed 2021

Boeser, Petey (for as long as he stays) Hughes (for as long as he stays) and Podkolzin.. those are the firsts

Rathbone

That is his body of work

do you?

You don’t build teams with just draft picks.

Miller, Garland, and OEL are pretty good pieces for building a contender. It’s not like we just lost those picks for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

Another wasted 1st Round pick by Uncle Jim.    Between this pick, the Lazy Jake "The Ripper" pick and the lack of a first rounder that we gave up for Miller - that makes three lost 1st rounders under Jim's rule.    Pretty poor drafting IMO !

There were a lot of busts in Jake's draft.  As for Miller, he's produced well, not sure how that's a wasted pick when he's a 1st liner.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You don’t build teams with just draft picks.

Miller, Garland, and OEL are pretty good pieces for building a contender. It’s not like we just lost those picks for nothing.

Are they though?

they are pieces for sure.

And they are pretty good.

but what about them says contender?

Miller was on a contender that found him expendable, then Tampa went on a 2 cup roll

the other 2 were stars on a bad team

I gotta say OEL is better than Edler was last year, but I also have to ask, is he better than Edler at 30 years old?

32 minutes ago, lmm said:

Are they though?

Miller was on a contender that found him expendable, then Tampa went on a 2 cup roll

I gotta say OEL is better than Edler was last year, but I also have to ask, is he better than Edler at 30 years old?

Yes, they are. Getting 2 top 6 players who play with grit and can score help teams get over the top in the playoffs and can play a major role. Same with OEL. Having a top pairing D-man who can play in all situtations and is a minute muncher is also key for playoff success. On paper, this team is very good, albeit we could use some more depth at D. I expect this team that Jim has constructed to make the playoffs and do some damage. Glass is half full as far as I am concerned.

49 minutes ago, lmm said:

Are they though?

Yes.

You’re also assuming that those 1sts guaranteed us something when you already showed Benning has made two bust picks.

Kind of goes against the reasoning for keeping the picks no?

1 hour ago, lmm said:

you missed 2021

Rathbone

That is his body of work

do you?

Dynasties are built through the draft to acquire the core players all teams need to win, however every dynasty needs some trades and some free agents as well to complete the team.  Nobody has ever built a dynasty simply through the draft. 

Look at Tampa who've won the last 2 cups.  Their core consists of their draft picks:  Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Killorn, Hedman, Vasilevskiy.  However, they needed to complete their team with key acquisitions, especially on defence:  Sergachev, McDonagh, Cernak, Johnson, Gourde, Maroon. 

With Vancouver we are looking at something similar in terms of the drafting:  Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Klimovich, Hughes, Rathbone, Demko.  Then we have added Miller, Garland, Dickinson, Pearson, Lammikko, Motte, OEL, Poolman, Myers.

Obviously our team is not at the current level of Tampa.  We need more pieces.  A stud RHD and a great 3C/4C right had shot who can be over 50% on faceoffs and be a top penalty killer are the two biggest pieces we are missing in order to truly contend.  Benning tried to address these two areas in the summer with Hamonic and Sutter, but both are basically out of the team at this point so they need to be replaced.

3 hours ago, lmm said:

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yes.

You’re also assuming that those 1sts guaranteed us something when you already showed Benning has made two bust picks.

Kind of goes against the reasoning for keeping the picks no?

your answer does not satisfy my question

• Wat 1