The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dynasties are built through the draft to acquire the core players all teams need to win, however every dynasty needs some trades and some free agents as well to complete the team.  Nobody has ever built a dynasty simply through the draft. 

Look at Tampa who've won the last 2 cups.  Their core consists of their draft picks:  Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Killorn, Hedman, Vasilevskiy.  However, they needed to complete their team with key acquisitions, especially on defence:  Sergachev, McDonagh, Cernak, Johnson, Gourde, Maroon. 

With Vancouver we are looking at something similar in terms of the drafting:  Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Klimovich, Hughes, Rathbone, Demko.  Then we have added Miller, Garland, Dickinson, Pearson, Lammikko, Motte, OEL, Poolman, Myers.

Obviously our team is not at the current level of Tampa.  We need more pieces.  A stud RHD and a great 3C/4C right had shot who can be over 50% on faceoffs and be a top penalty killer are the two biggest pieces we are missing in order to truly contend.  Benning tried to address these two areas in the summer with Hamonic and Sutter, but both are basically out of the team at this point so they need to be replaced.

who do we have that off what the bolded provide for Tampa?

I'll give you Vasilevski = Demko

but other wise I see a lot of high projection

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dynasties are built through the draft to acquire the core players all teams need to win, however every dynasty needs some trades and some free agents as well to complete the team.  Nobody has ever built a dynasty simply through the draft. 

Look at Tampa who've won the last 2 cups.  Their core consists of their draft picks:  Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Killorn, Hedman, Vasilevskiy.  However, they needed to complete their team with key acquisitions, especially on defence:  Sergachev, McDonagh, Cernak, Johnson, Gourde, Maroon. 

With Vancouver we are looking at something similar in terms of the drafting:  Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Klimovich, Hughes, Rathbone, Demko.  Then we have added Miller, Garland, Dickinson, Pearson, Lammikko, Motte, OEL, Poolman, Myers.

Obviously our team is not at the current level of Tampa.  We need more pieces.  A stud RHD and a great 3C/4C right had shot who can be over 50% on faceoffs and be a top penalty killer are the two biggest pieces we are missing in order to truly contend.  Benning tried to address these two areas in the summer with Hamonic and Sutter, but both are basically out of the team at this point so they need to be replaced.

This has some merit, but to include Klimovich and Rathbone with Canucks  to just lengthen the list, against Proven players from both teams, you may as well add Woo, Lockwood, Bailey just as McEwen,Madden, Gadzovich etc etc etc :P

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, lmm said:

who do we have that off what the bolded provide for Tampa?

I'll give you Vasilevski = Demko

but other wise I see a lot of high projection

The point wasn't to compare Vancouver's players to Tampa's players.  It was to show that your core, whatever team that is, is built primarily through the draft and then you need to add the missing pieces via trade or free agency to complete the team.  

Whether you feel that Vancouver's core is not as good as Tampa's core is a different discussion.  I was merely saying that in terms of drafting we are similar to Tampa in terms of team needs that have been filled through the draft.  I never said that Boeser was the same as Kucherov or that Petey was the same as Stamkos.

It's too late to change our core anyways, unless you want to trade everyone and go through another 10 year rebuild.

39 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

This has some merit, but to include Klimovich and Rathbone with Canucks  to just lengthen the list, against Proven players from both teams, you may as well add Woo, Lockwood, Bailey just as McEwen,Madden, Gadzovich etc etc etc :P

I am confident that Klimovich and Rathbone have a higher ceiling than Lockwood and Bailey...  :)

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I am confident that Klimovich and Rathbone have a higher ceiling than Lockwood and Bailey...  :)

That may turn out true, but to call them core now is far too premature

Look at all our "core" players who have been traded, waived, bought out :blush:

Hopefully these ones do pan out, because if we don't have any cheaper core replacements that we can't trade our core ufa ones in the future we will be in trouble like all other cup winning teams who hold onto their aging stars and don't get to finals anymore (which we still need to get their before ours reach UFA status)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That may turn out true, but to call them core now is far too premature

Look at all our "core" players who have been traded, waived, bought out :blush:

Hopefully these ones do pan out, because if we don't have any cheaper core replacements that we can't trade our core ufa ones in the future we will be in trouble like all other cup winning teams who hold onto their aging stars and don't get to finals anymore (which we still need to get their before ours reach UFA status)

I would rate Mcdonough highly as well, just below Klimovich and Rathbone.  Mcdonough is a perfect Pearson replacement, he's big and strong and has a wicked shot.  Would be deadly on the PP.  If he can play a good 200' game he will have a long career in the NHL.

Klimovich is going to be a star.  He is already outproducing vets in the AHL at age 18.  Can't remember the last Canuck to do that.  I could see him make the jump to the NHL as early as next year but 2 years for sure for him and Mcdonough.  Klimovich could replace Miller in the top 6 if there is not enough cap to re-sign him in 2 years.  As for Rathbone, he will be a player but I am not sure yet if it will be with Vancouver.  We may have to sacrifice and trade him in order to get the 2 pieces we need to be a contender, a top 4 RHD and a 3C/4C right hand shot who is great on faceoffs and a top PK'er.  Another option is to trade Miller for one of these players if Klimovich and/or Mcdonough are ready for the big show next year.

16 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Just to return to Juolevi for a moment, found this today:InjuryListOct23.thumb.png.0f784cb445ccf5003f81bb29a8eeb920.png

Unfortunately Juolevi's body is not NHL calibre.  He will be hard pressed to stay in the league.  May end up back in Finland as early as next year.  Some players just can't physically make the jump to the NHL without their bodies breaking down.;  Juolevi seems to be one of those players.

On 10/23/2021 at 12:32 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Unfortunately Juolevi's body is not NHL calibre.  He will be hard pressed to stay in the league.  May end up back in Finland as early as next year.  Some players just can't physically make the jump to the NHL without their bodies breaking down.;  Juolevi seems to be one of those players.

Had such high hopes for OJ 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Speaking of busts, if there is a Cody Hodgson alumni thread, I cant find it.

OJ is one of the great drafting tragedies of our time.

His tenure was before we had player threads, as we do now. We started this in about Spring 2016 I think. A draft thread would exist for him, but it might very well be archived and largely inaccessible now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2021 at 2:58 PM, AK_19 said:

NHL U.S. defenseman rankings tiers: Why Adam Fox, Charlie McAvoy are in an elite class

We chose Juolevi rather than AcAvoy

"McAvoy has the best overall game. You can put him on the No. 1 power play, the penalty kill, he can play a physical game against physical players and can play the speed game against the faster players," said one NHL veteran. "Fox is a very good player in the offensive zone. He's a heck of a defenseman. But if he's going against a physical player in the corners, he might not come up with that puck as often as McAvoy would."

24 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

NHL U.S. defenseman rankings tiers: Why Adam Fox, Charlie McAvoy are in an elite class

We chose Juolevi rather than AcAvoy

"McAvoy has the best overall game. You can put him on the No. 1 power play, the penalty kill, he can play a physical game against physical players and can play the speed game against the faster players," said one NHL veteran. "Fox is a very good player in the offensive zone. He's a heck of a defenseman. But if he's going against a physical player in the corners, he might not come up with that puck as often as McAvoy would."

Benning. Benning chose OJ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It's funny because he was always able to find nhlers in round 3+. But not with top 10 picks.

As a rule the GM  has a lot more input for the 1st round but conceeds the later  rounds to the scout. As to success in the later rounds, it always seems that way but to be honest not many (other than Demko ) actually come through, mostlt promotion by fans and board poster speculation IMHO

Just now, Fred65 said:

As a rule the GM  has a lot more input for the 1st round but conceeds the later  rounds to the scout. As to success in the later rounds, it always seems that way but to be honest not many (other than Demko ) actually come through, mostlt promotion by fans and board poster speculation IMHO

Idk I have a feeling Benning does more scouting than most of the other GMs. Probably why he lacks in the other areas. This is all my opinion though.