The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

The game has evolved now to the point where it doesn't matter how much skill you have in your top 6, without a puck moving D you'll never achieve your full offensive potential. One of the things the Golden State Warriors credited their championship to was ball movement, saying that no matter how fast the players move the ball can always move faster. Part of our end to end success in our Presidents Trophy winning years was having a guy like Sami Salo on the back end moving the puck up the ice. High hockey IQ, good shot, played well positionally and knew how to turn the puck back up ice in a hurry. I'm feeling good things to come for Vancouver...

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

By default, I hate drafting D men. But I welcome the encouragement. Your post helps

When the jackets took Dubois I was angry but not shocked... At that moment I knew we were taking Juolevi. Drafting a Dman isn't as sexy but this guy has no flaws in his game..  He will be our PP QB for the next 10 years. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

Tkachuk is almost 2 PPG player in the Juniors and shows he can play in the playoffs, Virtanen is a PPG and Boeser a little over a PPG. You can't get enough scoring especially at the insane production he has. 

NCAA and the CHL are completely different animals. It's much harder to score at an elite level in college hockey, and Boeser was WELL ABOVE a PPG.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Well...hope he can skate

Monahan, Gaudreau, Bennett and Tkachuk will be eating this team up for quite a few seasons...

pfft, shows what you know. 

6 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

When you compare him to Scott Neiermayer, you might as well say Bobby Orr though...I'm sure you see what I'm saying.

Yeah I know what you mean he's not the messiah.... but my point is this guy is everything that the new NHL is... Skating, IQ, possession, good size... The only thing he doesn't have is toughness but we have other guys to fill that void. Every time I've seen him I've thought he could be a number 1 Dman once he fills out and can take NHL punishment. We should be excited we have a Dman of this caliber. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Tkachuk is almost 2 PPG player in the Juniors and shows he can play in the playoffs, Virtanen is a PPG and Boeser a little over a PPG. You can't get enough scoring especially at the insane production he has. 

Tkachuk = ohl

Virtanen = whl

Boeser = NCAA

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I read somewhere that he can go straight to the AHL next year, hopefully that's the case, as negative I was initially there is alot to like about Juolevi. 

Glad your coming around. Trust me this guy is at worst going to be a number 2 Dman. 

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Yeah but take that objectively....he's the middle of 3 dmen, it shows there is no real consensus which is my issue.

He has a lot of talent though this is not a complete dud that is for sure, it is just risky. 

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

When the Jackets took PLD...you knew that the cards were not going to fall the way you expected..Really wanted PLD,and I think that Matt Tkachuck was the BPA at 5...I do like Juolevi though.

This exactly man...But here we are....I'm happy with this pick. Ideally, I would like Serg and a 2nd but this is just as good really, probably better.

Edited by Western Red