The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

Gonna sound off a little... I don't mind the pick but it leaves me confused as to the direction the team is going in. D's typically take a while to develop so it will be a few years until he's ready to contribute. If the plan is to tank hard between now and then to get elite scoring talent it makes sense. But if that were the plan I doubt they would've done the Gubranson trade nor be pursuing Lucic/Erikson. It feels like they're trying to ensure we're a fringe playoff team for the next decade

• Upvote 1

YES!  Finally a top rated Dman!!!

Cant win without one.  First step in the right direction.  Would have loved PLD or Tkachuk, both more exciting picks, BUT Juolevi is the best pic IMO for where the organization is at.

• Upvote 1

I like the pick, Juolevi was my favourite D heading in. He was elite at the World Juniors, to be the top defenseman on a championship team while being undrafted is very rare. Even then he went on to win with the Knights both the OHL championship and the Memorial Cup, he's a winner. He's fast, and has amazing hockey IQ. 

I stated my opinions on Tkachuk heading in, I wasn't sold on him. His skating is sub-par and you could make the case that he was the beneficiary of elite linemates 2 years running. 

Happy for Olli! I am curious as to where he plays next year. If he is on loan from Jokerit to the Knights, then he's an option for the Comets or otherwise going overseas. He could go back to the Knights but he's already won everything at that level...

Edited by Ossi Vaananen
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Really disappointed when Columbus took Dubois... then double that again when Edmonton took Jesse Puljujarvi... I think Jesse P is the best player in the draft... he is going to be a killer if paired with McDavid... he'll be Kurri to McDavid's Gretzky.

I understand why Tkachuk was passed over by Benning... he is too small for the NHL to play the style he did in Junior.

The Canucks got a decent defensive prospect in Juolevi, but he is not of the calibre of the first 4 guys.

I guess it was too much to hope Edmonton would be stupid enough to pass on Jesse P.  :(

Benning was left with no real choice...  not his fault we were unlucky in the Draft lottery.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Too many experts on here...how about we actually trust the guyz runnin this team. We should be pumped about this pick!

I would trust them a lot more if they were up front with their plan rather than going back and forth between winning now and rebuilding

I like the pick.

Smooth, jumps into the play and has a great first pass. Will eventually help aleviate those aggressive forechecks on our d-men.

But in three years, other than Virtanen and Boeser, who exactly is he going to pass to?

We got our PMD, PPQB, top pairing defenseman. I love this pick so much. I remember wanting this guy so bad when I saw how good of a PMD he was at the World Juniors mid way through the year. This guy is such a great defenseman. He's been compared to with the likes of Oliver Ekman Larsson, Hampus Lindholm. This guy is the most complete defenseman in the draft. He's second to Jake Bean in terms of being a pure offensive player in the draft. 

He's got the IQ

He's got the heavy shot, accurate shot. 

He's got great vision and a great first pass. Very happy with this pick.

We've now gotten our cornerstone franchise defenseman. This rebuild has only begun. We've got our #1 goaltender set, we've got our potential top pairing defenseman checked off. We've still got ways to go, but Benning certainly adressed our defensive issues this off-season and I can't be more excited about our defense.

I'll take a defenseman who plays and is compared to OEL anyday. 

Great pick Benning. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, YOWnuxFAN said:

I would trust them a lot more if they were up front with their plan rather than going back and forth between winning now and rebuilding

and didn't have a philosophy that was different from the other 29 teams...  we are either going to be freaking great, or freaking terrible in 5-7 years. I don't think there is any middle ground anymore. 

Just now, snolan said:

and didn't have a philosophy that was different from the other 29 teams...  we are either going to be freaking great, or freaking terrible in 5-7 years. I don't think there is any middle ground anymore. 

That's the best result though.  The worst place to be is stuck in the middle, no?

6 minutes ago, YOWnuxFAN said:

Thr is no back and forth...canucks r clearly an organization rebuilding on the fly and in totally down with it. They gathered up enough prospects to do it.

Initially I was a little dumbfounded by this pick but that has changed over the course of the last few hours. I think most people, myself included, wanted to see an immediate impact from whomever was drafted this year. That was likely not going to happen outside of the top three so my initial disappointment was only just a carry over from our $&!#ty luck at the draft lottery. Now that I've had some time to digest the draft results, I think we got a great pick and our D is set for years to come.