The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

What's the word on Suzuki?

Consistant and dangerous offensively, plays a strong 200 foot game, natural centre but played a lot wing this year, decent in the dot, plays in all situations, good skater, not big but handles himself well in the rough stuff, one of the youngest players in the draft, 96 points ( 45 goals, 51 assists) this year.

So what is it that keeps him out of the 5-12 range? Is there something that he's lacking that keeps him in the ~15 neighborhood?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Ok, using the top 25 list from https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/, here are how the candidates that I care about fared (basically, the top athletes are Yamamoto, Makar, Foote, Liljegren, Hischier, Suzuki):

CENTERS:

Nolan Patrick:

• 14: Musculoskeletal: Bench Press
  • 14: Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups Consecutive (max #)

Hischier:

• 13: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right
  • 13: Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
  • 2: Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups Consecutive (max #)
  • 24: Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)

Vilardi (I believe he didn't participate in all tests):

• 11: Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration
  • 2: Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index

Glass:

• 20: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Left
  • 24: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right

Mittelstadt:

• 5: Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index
  • 20: Force Plate: Vertical Jump (inches)

Necas:

• 3: Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index

Pettersson

• 3: Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
  • 7: Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)

Michael Rasmussen

• 4: Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration
  • 3: Anthropometry: Wing Span (inches)

Suzuki

• 9: Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration
  • 9: Aerobic Fitness: VO2max
  • 20: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right
  • 25: Force Plate: Vertical Jump (inches)

DEFENSEMAN:

Makar:

• 8: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Left
  • 3: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right
  • 8: Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index
  • 5: Force Plate: Vertical Jump (inches)
  • 10: Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)

Liljegren:

• 22: Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
  • 11: Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
  • 17: Force Plate: Vertical Jump (inches)
  • 8: Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)

Heiskanen:

• 24: Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)

Callan Foote:

• 3: Aerobic Fitness: Test Duration
  • 21: Aerobic Fitness: VO2max
  • 7: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Left
  • 14: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right
  • 12: Anthropometry: Wing Span (inches)

WINGERS:

Tippett:

• 23: Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index
  • 14: Force Plate: Vertical Jump (inches)

Yamamoto:

• 1: Aerobic Fitness: VO2max
  • 2: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Left
  • 2: Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right
  • 4: Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
  • 3: Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output (watts/kg)
  • 6: Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups Consecutive (max #)

Hopefully this Yamamoto kid falls to us when we select 33rd pick. 

7 hours ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Can I inquire as to why no one is interested in Owen Tippett? Every mock draft I see he is top 10, but literally every Canucks fan seems to have zero interest in him. I'm seeing every Canucks fan showing interest in practically all the other likely top 10 guys plus even some potentially outside the top 10, but no one mentions Tippett and his numbers were awesome so it can't possibly be lack of skill. Is it just because he's a winger and we all want a center or defense, character issues, etc? What's the deal out of curiosity. 

His Jr stats and scouting reports read eerily similar to Jakes. Not saying that they are the same. We also have a huge team need for centres and skilled defenders. 

With Baer, Granlund, Virtannen, Goldy, Boeser along with Lockwood... we have a lot of young potential on the wings, but after Horvat, we have Gaunce and Gaudette. 

OJ is a two way guy and Subban is an OFD, our only one. We have some good prospect depth in Brisbios and McEnemy, but where's the defensive scoring coming from?  

33 minutes ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

On Elite and the Knights website Juolevi's listed at 188lbs 

Juolevi last year was listed at 179lbs prior to the 2016 draft. Roughly close to Necas current weight.

But it's also good to hear Juolevi is close to 190lbs. Although I think Juolevi is not the type of player to be playing at 200lbs.

Edited by Odd.

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

What's the word on Suzuki?

Consistant and dangerous offensively, plays a strong 200 foot game, natural centre but played a lot wing this year, decent in the dot, plays in all situations, good skater, not big but handles himself well in the rough stuff, one of the youngest players in the draft, 96 points ( 45 goals, 51 assists) this year.

So what is it that keeps him out of the 5-12 range? Is there something that he's lacking that keeps him in the ~15 neighborhood?

Claude Giroux potential. Suzuki is one of my favourite players in this draft and if we were picking anywhere in the 10-15 range I personally wouldn't hesitate to take him. From what I have heard, the only thing really keeping him out of the top 10 is his size - bigger centers tend to be more coveted in the higher end of the draft unless there is evidence of true offensive dominance like Mitch Marner. Who ever he falls to though will be getting a steal of a pick and even potentially the best player of the draft. He falls past 20, I would hope GM JB makes a deal to move up and select him. Also, one of the reason why I wouldn't mind getting a mid range pick in a Toronto trade and select one of Suzuki, Foote or potentially Vesalainen.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, HomeBrew said:

Claude Giroux potential. Suzuki is one of my favourite players in this draft and if we were picking anywhere in the 10-15 range I personally wouldn't hesitate to take him. From what I have heard, the only thing really keeping him out of the top 10 is his size - bigger centers tend to be more coveted in the higher end of the draft unless there is evidence of true offensive dominance like Mitch Marner. Who ever he falls to though will be getting a steal of a pick and even potentially the best player of the draft. He falls past 20, I would hope GM JB makes a deal to move up and select him. Also, one of the reason why I wouldn't mind getting a mid range pick in a Toronto trade and select one of Suzuki, Foote or potentially Vesalainen.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised scouts are wearry of his size. 5'11" and 183lbs for someone who isn't even 18 yet isn't bad

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

Juolevi last year was listed at 179lbs prior to the 2016 draft. Roughly close to Necas current weight.

But it's also good to hear Juolevi is close to 190lbs. Although I think Juolevi is not the type of player to be playing at 200lbs.

I feel like Juolevi will probably end up playing at around 200-205lbs by the time he's fully matured 20lbs isn't too crazy to put on imo

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sugar baby watermelon said:

nobody I am just under the assumption he may drop a couple of spots, I could care less that he didn't do the pullup or only 1 bench press, I know the kid has game for days, I'd be more than happy if we take him 5th if he is available

Very well said! Agree 100 percent 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 44 Duncan said:

What do you guys think of drafting Callan Foote? He is big and has decent numbers and some great hockey lineage. I would like to see the Canucks try and get him. 

If he is there at 17 id do a deal with Toronto to draft Foote. Something like others have proposed Kapanen ( other high end froward prospect ) + 17 for Chris Tanev