The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

I know the team is lacking in speed and skill, but I am so wary of drafting players because of the "way the league is going".  Style is cyclical and by the time Pettersson is ready to be an everyday player, the league may well have cycled around to big bodied, physical players.  

That said, he might be very very good

That's a fair assumption. However I think I would still have him high on my list. Throw a certain large, power winger from Utica on his wing and you have an ice blend of speed, Skill, and size. 

All in all the Canucks need guys who can make plays in the O-zone. I don't care how it's done or by whom. All the play making centres seem like good options. I trust JB enough to pick a centre who will develop properly. 

Just now, Camel Toe Drag said:

That's a fair assumption. However I think I would still have him high on my list. Throw a certain large, power winger from Utica on his wing and you have an ice blend of speed, Skill, and size. 

All in all the Canucks need guys who can make plays in the O-zone. I don't care how it's done or by whom. All the play making centres seem like good options. I trust JB enough to pick a centre who will develop properly. 

and I would agree with that, if he thinks he is the best all around cman left at #5.  I trust JB at the draft

Tanev and CBJ pick. Beaullieau and Tanev would be a big upgrade from last year and would be directly addressing the Sabres back end woes to say the least. 

overpayment for #8, imo.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Well, in 4 days we'll have a shiny new piece to the puzzle. Excited to see how this all plays out. Keeping their cards close to their chests has become an art form. A lot of us assume that it'll be Glass, Pettersson or Makar, but maybe they have a completely different player in mind? Same with last year, they may have been targeting Dubois, with Juolevi as their second choice. They kept that a pretty good secret. For all we know, they are targeting Vilardi this year, but not hinting at that, in hopes he drops to #5. The not knowing what their plan is creates a thousand possible scenarios. I am hoping for a C.

The Canucks wanting Dubois was a terribly kept secret.

Your idea would be just Tanev, I presume?

i wouldn't even do tanev straight up for #8.  Though I've been on the trade Tanev train for a cpl years now, it's purely out of injury issues.  He is a top defensive dman who can absolutely stabilize a dcorp......any offer for him needs to reflect that.  At #8, I'd want a prospect included on their end, even if #55 is thrown in from the Canucks side

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It kind of depends on who is there at 8 though, doesn't it?  If Petersson is the elite number one play making center we need, then maybe it's worth the risk?

how are you responding to me?  I blocked you loooong ago

4 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

The Canucks wanting Dubois was a terribly kept secret.

I meant having Juoevi as their second choice was a good kept secret. I think we all knew they wanted Dubois, but CBJ had to screw that up.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I meant having Juoevi as their second choice was a good kept secret. I think we all knew they wanted Dubois, but CBJ had to screw that up.

Only to those who weren't paying attention/refusing to listen.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

Tanev and CBJ pick. Beaullieau and Tanev would be a big upgrade from last year and would be directly addressing the Sabres back end woes to say the least. 

I don't think Buff is interested in Tanev.  Their top 2 dmen are both righties and they have +5M salary caps.

If we have two high picks in this draft I don't see why we wouldn't pick two of Glass, Pettersson, and Vilardi. None of the defensemen have the ceiling of those three guys who could all potentially be the steals in this draft. Plenty of defensemen to choose from next year who'll be much better than any of the top defensemen in this draft unless Liljegren rebounds. An early second round pick next year will get us a better defensemen than Makar or Heiskanen. 

Edited by TheHitman
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think Buff is interested in Tanev.  Their top 2 dmen are both righties and they have +5M salary caps.

I think there should still be some interest if their serious about improving this year. Murray got fired mainly for not addressing Buffalo's glaring defensive holes. Lehner is a decent enough goalie IMO but they D-Corps needs some retooling outside of Risto obviously. 

This year at 5 does not feel like last year at 5.  Even if it goes 1. Patrick 2. Hischier 3. Vilardi 4. Glass there are still a few great potential 1C options available as well as good defensive prospects.  It opens up even more if either Heiskanen or Makar are taken in those 3 and 4 spots doesn't it.  Myself, I will probably stand up if one of those guys goes in the 3 or 4 spot because of the potential drafting of either Glass or Vilardi, I will stand up and scream in joy haha....  I like Makar more than Heiskanen but this year with our 1st selection we need that potential 1C and there are more of those options this year and more Defensive selections in next years draft.  This draft is going to be exciting and we need Benning to not be the Benning of last year but one that picks a C this year.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

i wouldn't even do tanev straight up for #8.  Though I've been on the trade Tanev train for a cpl years now, it's purely out of injury issues.  He is a top defensive dman who can absolutely stabilize a dcorp......any offer for him needs to reflect that.  At #8, I'd want a prospect included on their end, even if #55 is thrown in from the Canucks side

Believe me I would love a 1rst round and a prospect if we could land it. I just fear that Benning's price could be too high for some potential partners. Like you said Tanev is great when healthy but worthless when he's in the press box. His value is probably as high as it's going to be at this point. I just want to take advantage of his value but also not get fleeced. N'aw mean?

Edited by Camel Toe Drag
Punctuation