The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Tkachuk's

baseballcanuck

Tkachunky burned a 100$ CAD bank note in a Winterpeg bar, I once read. Sounded like a bullying, overbearing sort, whenever I'd read his quotes in TheHockeyNews.

Kinda glad we didn't draft from his brood. We'll deal with Cowtown..no worries. Building a back-end with some size & grit, as we speak.

Juo is gonna be a stud, that even my Granny woulda chosen!

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Tkachunky burned a 100$ CAD bank note in a Winterpeg bar, I once read. Sounded like a bullying, overbearing sort, whenever I'd read his quotes in TheHockeyNews.

Kinda glad we didn't draft from his brood. We'll deal with Cowtown..no worries. Building a back-end with some size & grit, as we speak.

Juo is gonna be a stud, that even my Granny woulda chosen!

Matthew has been praised by teammates and coaches for his work ethic and character. I have watched a lot of him this year and I have to say I concur. The kid is feisty yet unselfish. The reason he had chemistry with his linemates is because he didn't try to force the play or try and do too much. 

I had Tkachuk over Juolevi before the draft but I am happy with our pick.  No need to trash a 18 year old kid just to justify our pick.

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

Matthew has been praised by teammates and coaches for his work ethic and character. I have watched a lot of him this year and I have to say I concur. The kid is feisty yet unselfish. The reason he had chemistry with his linemates is because he didn't try to force the play or try and do too much. 

I had Tkachuk over Juolevi before the draft but I am happy with our pick.  No need to trash a 18 year old kid just to justify our pick.

Wasn't trashin the kid at all..it was concerning his old man, who I wasn't a fan of.

Might be like Domi, where the kid isn't the same kinda' player..haven't seen him play.

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wasn't trashin the kid at all..it was concerning his old man, who I wasn't a fan of.

Might be like Domi, where the kid isn't the same kinda' player..haven't seen him play.

Sorry that last line wasn't really directed at you. I think it's actually a bit of the opposite, Max was rumored to have some issues with attitude. Most London fans also felt he was a selfish player in his last season there especially with his use of his linemates. Marner and Dvorak increased their ppg totals when he was off at the WJC. That same line which did not gel as well with Domi did so with Tkachuk. 

17 minutes ago, Toews said:

Sorry that last line wasn't really directed at you. I think it's actually a bit of the opposite, Max was rumored to have some issues with attitude. Most London fans also felt he was a selfish player in his last season there especially with his use of his linemates. Marner and Dvorak increased their ppg totals when he was off at the WJC. That same line which did not gel as well with Domi did so with Tkachuk. 

Increasingly feels pro sport is like politics..a form of nepotism where children of the elite get first dibs.

Rant for another topic mostly..not necessarily these two kids we've mentioned. Just that decades back, the young hockey star from a small town, was usually a kid from a pretty humble background. Fans could relate to, identify with..really connect & get behind the stars of yester-year.

It's not as interesting(as it was) when comparing to many of these sharp, perfectly sculpted, & media-savvy kids of today.

3 hours ago, baseballcanuck said:

How about this Canucks picked once before ahead of a Tkachuk in 1990 they took Shawn Antoski one spot ahead of Keith Tkachuk :) History does tend to repeat itself doesn't it...

Desi, how hard is it to manage multiple accounts? 

6 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Increasingly feels pro sport is like politics..a form of nepotism where children of the elite get first dibs.

Rant for another topic mostly..not necessarily these two kids we've mentioned. Just that decades back, the young hockey star from a small town, was usually a kid from a pretty humble background. Fans could relate to, identify with..really connect & get behind the stars of yester-year.

It's not as interesting(as it was) when comparing to many of these sharp, perfectly sculpted, & media-savvy kids of today.

Very true. Recently I have noticed just how many sons of former NHLers are drafted. Hockey is (has) becoming a rich man's game, and the fact that being a son of a former NHLer really does gain you access to these Ol' Boys clubs. GL to any future kids in the sport who do not have a former NHLer as a daddy, you know they can pay their way into the NHL. To play hockey you really have to be rich, arenas and equipment etc cost quite the amount of money. Was going to start a thread on this subject as it is worthy of discussion. 

Well at least we have Bo, this kid is the definition of humble, lived on a farm and has great parents....unlike that punk Virtanen, shows in their progress and willingness to improve. 

4 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Very true. Recently I have noticed just how many sons of former NHLers are drafted. Hockey is (has) becoming a rich man's game, and the fact that being a son of a former NHLer really does gain you access to these Ol' Boys clubs. GL to any future kids in the sport who do not have a former NHLer as a daddy, you know they can pay their way into the NHL. To play hockey you really have to be rich, arenas and equipment etc cost quite the amount of money. Was going to start a thread on this subject as it is worthy of discussion. 

Well at least we have Bo, this kid is the definition of humble, lived on a farm and has great parents....unlike that punk Virtanen, shows in their progress and willingness to improve. 

Hmmm, do you know something we don't about the punks family and up bringing? Living in the city and knowing about his parents I don't believe you have your facts together.

2 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yeah SP, seems all the best gigs goin nowadays, get handed down. Guess it's a natural evolution when every aspect is measured, calculated & monetized.

Came from a messed up, poor, single parent situation. Without the involvement/help from other local parents, wouldn't have been able to play minor hockey myself. Doubt that kids today in a similar situation, would get an opportunity.

There's a lot of inherent-privilege within many of these young, gifted athletes..way of society now, one could argue.

5 minutes ago, Realtor Rod said:

Hmmm, do you know something we don't about the punks family and up bringing? Living in the city and knowing about his parents I don't believe you have your facts together.

Just compare him to Bo and then come back at me. Also look at how he loses control, kind of like Strome did in the WJC, showing no honor, reminded me of spoon fed petulant teens. What they did at the WJC was disgraceful for Canada. 

Once again I am comparing him to Bo, he is no match in terms of showing leadership and accountability. Notice the Sedins called out the rookies during the season, surely that was directed at Bo and McCann. Do a little research and you will find out who is more professional Bo or Jake. 

1 minute ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Just compare him to Bo and then come back at me. Also look at how he loses control, kind of like Strome did in the WJC. Once again I am comparing him to Bo, he is no match in terms of showing leadership and accountability. Notice the Sedins called out the rookies during the season, surely that was directed at Bo and McCann. Do a little research and you will find out who is more professional Bo or Jake. 

No cookie cutters in the nhl. You are really going to dislike Gudbrandson when the beast is unleashed. These are kids, some with tempers. It takes all types to make a team. 

Just now, Realtor Rod said:

No cookie cutters in the nhl. You are really going to dislike Gudbrandson when the beast is unleashed. These are kids, some with tempers. It takes all types to make a team. 

What are you talking about? You shift the subject from a rookie to a guy like Gubranson? Did I even mention him in my post? That guy has shown honor and respect for his team, kind of like how I showed how Bo is a team guy. 

Discuss Jakes progress otherwise do not bother entering the discussion. 

2 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Jakes Dad is an air traffic controller

6 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Jakes Dad is an air traffic controller

Pretty much explains my point my friend. Out of all the prospects. Jake with his natural ability should be much better than he has shown. Silver spoons do not give a player NHL talent. Hard work and dedication like Bo does. Sixth overall, he should be trying to make it in this market, instead he gets called out by the Sedins, a few guys who know what it takes to be elite. Jake has not shown that as of yet, he is still young, but I sure hope he gets it, otherwise he is the next Rafi Torres. 

32 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Pretty much explains my point my friend. Out of all the prospects. Jake with his natural ability should be much better than he has shown. Silver spoons do not give a player NHL talent. Hard work and dedication like Bo does. Sixth overall, he should be trying to make it in this market, instead he gets called out by the Sedins, a few guys who know what it takes to be elite. Jake has not shown that as of yet, he is still young, but I sure hope he gets it, otherwise he is the next Rafi Torres. 

I'm confused. Your original post was about kids with NHL Dads getting spoon fed opportunities and having access to the "Ol' boy's club" of the NHL - none of which applies to Virtanen. Yet, you used this information to call him a punk? 

Also, what do you know about Jakes family life that would back any of the "silver spoon" rhetoric that you are saying about him?

55 minutes ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Pretty much explains my point my friend. Out of all the prospects. Jake with his natural ability should be much better than he has shown. Silver spoons do not give a player NHL talent. Hard work and dedication like Bo does. Sixth overall, he should be trying to make it in this market, instead he gets called out by the Sedins, a few guys who know what it takes to be elite. Jake has not shown that as of yet, he is still young, but I sure hope he gets it, otherwise he is the next Rafi

Okay, we get it. You don't like jake. I will leave you with this:

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2016/4/30/11521442/canucks-player-autopsy-jake-virtanen

Archived