Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why didn't JB trade down?


Tryman

Recommended Posts

Hi folks...first time poster here.

 

im a HUGE Canucks fan and big supporter of JB and Trevor.  I really like the first overall pick of ours being Juolevi as I believe he will be a Ludstrom type and you just can't go wrong with that.

 

Having said that, knowing that he wanted Juolevi in the first place AND probably knowing that Calgary coveted Tkachuk, why didn't JB trade down to 6 (letting Calgary THINK he would take Tkachuk) and get a draft pick at least, like say one of Calgary's 2nd round picks?

 

Just curious.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suppose you are basing this on the Ottawa / New Jersey trade?  Honestly I think Ottawa was stupid to give up a third rounder to do that in the first place, since the only way New Jersey makes that trade is if they aren't targeting that player in the first place.  Waste of a third rounder.

 

Hindsight is 20/20.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tryman said:

Hi folks...first time poster here.

 

im a HUGE Canucks fan and big supporter of JB and Trevor.  I really like the first overall pick of ours being Juolevi as I believe he will be a Ludstrom type and you just can't go wrong with that.

 

Having said that, knowing that he wanted Juolevi in the first place AND probably knowing that Calgary coveted Tkachuk, why didn't JB trade down to 6 (letting Calgary THINK he would take Tkachuk) and get a draft pick at least, like say one of Calgary's 2nd round picks?

 

Just curious.

 

 

A 2nd round pick would be an over payment on Calgary's part.  If the guy you want is available, pick him.  You can overthink it sometimes by trading down.  Who's to say Calgary knows the Canucks don't want Tkachuk, so Calgary then trades down to 8th and Buffalo picks Juolevi?

 

Sigh, I get tired of the people wondering why Benning doesn't squeeze every little insignificant draft pick out of every single transaction.  Dubois was gone, the Canucks got the dman they wanted.  Isn't that enough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Because they probably knew we weren't sold on him.  Why didn't Columbus trade down if they were sold on Dubois?  Same reason, if a team knows you don't want the guy, then they aren't offering you anything significant to move up.  

 

Sometimes you just take the player that you want.  I like the pick.

 

Secondly, JB said the only teams wanting to move up to #5 were teams outside the top 9 and he didn't want to move outside of 9.  Can't trade if you don't have a partner

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

A 2nd round pick would be an over payment on Calgary's part.  If the guy you want is available, pick him.  You can overthink it sometimes by trading down.  Who's to say Calgary knows the Canucks don't want Tkachuk, so Calgary then trades down to 8th and Buffalo picks Juolevi?

 

Sigh, I get tired of the people wondering why Benning doesn't squeeze every little insignificant draft pick out of every single transaction.  Dubois was gone, the Canucks got the dman they wanted.  Isn't that enough?

You are wondering why Benning doesn't squeeze every little insignificant draft pick out of every single transaction?  That's his job!!

As a GM you want to utilize as much as possible.  A 5th, 6th, 7th round pick may seem insignificant but could end up being the next ... Datsyuk? Zetterberg? etc.  A late gem is rare but it's still a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Losing With Pride said:

You are wondering why Benning doesn't squeeze every little insignificant draft pick out of every single transaction?  That's his job!!

As a GM you want to utilize as much as possible.  A 5th, 6th, 7th round pick may seem insignificant but could end up being the next ... Datsyuk? Zetterberg? etc.  A late gem is rare but it's still a shot.

Don't forget Jamie Benn in that line as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, cdubuya said:

i would imagine the 1 pick trade up occurs when other teams are tabling offers to move up...

Yes, this happens for teams moving up....they initiate contact on trades like this.

 

If the Canucks call Calgary and offer up the 5.....Calgary instantly knows the Canucks don't want Tkachuk.

So no need to trade an additional pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

Yes, this happens for teams moving up....they initiate contact on trades like this.

 

If the Canucks call Calgary and offer up the 5.....Calgary instantly knows the Canucks don't want Tkachuk.

So no need to trade an additional pick.

but if canucks had 1/2/3 teams who really wanted tkachuk and were making serious offers for the canucks to trade down, the canucks could call up calgary (who we will assume really wanted tkachuk) and give them the opportunity to make an offer. That way the canucks only lose 1 spot and Calgary still gets the player they wanted.

 

Obviously this scenario didn't unfold but I'd be willing to bet it did with Ottawa and New Jersey....why else would Ottawa give something up...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently the only teams willing to trade up were below #9.  Jim simply didn't want to lose out on the player(s) he wanted.  Juolevi MAY have still been available there but he just didn't want to take the chance.  A bird in hand and all that jazz...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Losing With Pride said:

You are wondering why Benning doesn't squeeze every little insignificant draft pick out of every single transaction?  That's his job!!

As a GM you want to utilize as much as possible.  A 5th, 6th, 7th round pick may seem insignificant but could end up being the next ... Datsyuk? Zetterberg? etc.  A late gem is rare but it's still a shot.

The assumption is that Benning even had the chance, i dont think he did. Benning cant fix 6-7 years of sub par drafting in one shot. But the college signings this year sure helped. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Calgary shouldn't even be in the picture, they were obviously going to pick Tkachuk. We should have traded down to Arizona #7 because Arizona wanted Tkachuk..

We basically donated to the flames....

Calgarys already stacked on D, they obviously weren't going to pick Juolevi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

You are wondering why Benning doesn't squeeze every little insignificant draft pick out of every single transaction?  That's his job!!

As a GM you want to utilize as much as possible.  A 5th, 6th, 7th round pick may seem insignificant but could end up being the next ... Datsyuk? Zetterberg? etc.  A late gem is rare but it's still a shot.

So you're saying in every trade he makes, he should be telling the teams he wants a late round pick or no deal so we can draft another half dozen players in late rounds each year and hope for the best? No. Teams aren't going to do that because gms understand the value of draft picks. His job is to put the best team on the ice and draft the prospects that he thinks can be foundational pieces of our franchise. And while I wont sit here and pretend I approve of every trade he's made or every free agent he's signed or every player he's drafted, he's improved every area of this team since he's been our gm. We have foundation set for defense for the next 10-15 years with guys like Tanev, Hutton, Gudbranson, Tryamkin, and now add Juolevi. He's brought in tons of offensive talent with guys like Baertschi, Sutter, Etem, Boeser, etc. He drafted our goalie of the future in Demko. He's turning us into a team that can soon compete again on a yearly basis. Adding 3 6th round picks every year is not going to make or break our team. The man does what he has to do and he understands how to build a team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi folks,Thanks for all your answers and insights.  I really appreciate them.

 

I see merit to what you're saying and I guess you're right....hard to trade if there's no one willing to be your partner.

 

Anyway, I REALLY like the Juolevi pick.  I think he's the potential stud D-man we've never really had.  The other picks I don't know much about but did read their bios and potential prospects.  I'll trust JB and TL on those ones.  After all, they really have improved our team through the past 2 drafts.

 

Go Canucks Go!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...